How do you feel about sharing a table post pandemic?

ilikeanswers

1 hour ago, Tapi said:

About social distancing on a cruise ship (if that’s even in effect by the time cruise ships sail again) I think that it’s completely doable and relatively easy to establish. I’ve never been a fan of being crowded, so I’ve already been applying   “social distancing practices” when I cruise long before this pandemic. 

How long has it been since you were on a cruise, and how good is your memory?  Perhaps more to the point: have you got a clear mental image of how long six feet is? (Which is the MINIMUM recommended).

Sure, there are plenty of times in your cabin, and often on upper decks when you can be AT LEAST six feet apart from others — but during muster drill, even just using ships’ corridors, waiting to enter dining room or theatre - certainly in the theatre, it is not that easy to do CONSISTENTLY (which would be the point of the effort)- and would be virtually impossible if ships were sailing anywhere near just 50% capacity.

Then consider a tender - passenger space is what? About 10 or so feet wide and 35 feet long?  Allowing two per row - in every third row - in stead of eight per row — would permit about   10 passengers instead of more than 120 - so forget tender ports. 

Edited by navybankerteacher
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

How long has it been since you were on a cruise, and how good is your memory?  Perhaps more to the point: have you got a clear mental image of how long six feet is? (Which is the MINIMUM recommended).

- I returned from my last cruise 2 months ago.

- I do know what 6 feet is.

Its truly not rocket science. Many of the protocols to minimize crowding (distance people) and to protect passengers that would need to be established going forward (assuming that social distance protocols as we know them today are still in place when cruises resume) already exist and have been in use by several cruise lines. It’s a matter of applying these protocols across the entire cruise industry. 

Edited by Tapi

10 minutes ago, Tapi said:

- I returned from my last cruise 2 months ago.

- I do know what 6 feet is.

Its truly not rocket science. Many of the protocols to minimize crowding and to protect passengers that the cruise industry would need to establish going forward (assuming that social distance protocols as we know them today are still in place when cruises resume) already exist. It’s a matter of applying them across the entire cruise industry. 

The “social distance protocols as we know them today” simply do not lend themselves to the shipboard part of “the entire cruise industry” —- which is the part most people here are concerned with.  Those “protocols” exist on shore but have never been applied on board ships, and it is unlikely that they could be applied on board ships being operated in any ordinary way — meaning carrying enough passengers to operate profitably.

You are right - it is not rocket science - it is trying to realistically consider the constraints necessary if cruising is to resume while COVID 19 might even be just endemic. 

• Like 1

IDK, if social distancing or wearing a mask is a requirement on a cruise, then I don't think I will enjoy a cruise.   If not a requirement but I thought they were needed, I would not enjoy a cruise.  I have this thing about not voluntarily doing things I don't enjoy!  😄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

The “social distance protocols as we know them today” simply do not lend themselves to the shipboard part of “the entire cruise industry” —- which is the part most people here are concerned with.  Those “protocols” exist on shore but have never been applied on board ships, and it is unlikely that they could be applied on board ships being operated in any ordinary way

What I’m referring to are methods and practices already in place across various cruise lines that would facilitate establishing land social distancing protocols to cruise ships as well. 

This is when all the cruise lines work together, brainstorm, and compare what has worked for each individual one to come up with a plan of action. I can think of different methods from my last few cruises on Disney, MSC, Royal Caribbean, and Holland America among others, which combined and expanded, could provide a temporary solution to the current situation until it’s safe to go back to our old ways. 

There’s no way to make any place, on land, in the air, or at sea, 100% safe from this or any disease. But the goal is to make it as safe as physically possible in order to minimize, not eliminate, the number of people who get sick. I work in the airline industry, so I’m already witnessing first hand how travel will look going forward. Some new rules will stick, others will be relaxed as this situation evolves. But while many will not be happy with the changes, we will all adapt to whatever the new norm will be. 

Edited by Tapi

Part of the reason we love cruising is the opportunity to meet lots of new people and socialize.   Our norm is to choose the Open Dining schemes (on many different cruise lines) and simply go the MDR when we want dinner.  Pre dinner we are always in one of the loungers where we also enjoy cocktails and socializing.  Since we seldom go to dinner before 7:45 we generally do not need to deal with queues and/or waits.  

If the result of COVID-19 is that we would not feel safe in socializing we will simply stop cruising.  You might consider that we have been avid cruisers for over 40 years and often cruise more then 100 days per year.  If we do stop cruising we will simply increase the number and length of our independent land trips where we also routinely socialize with folks.  We recently cancelled an August TA cruise on Princess where we had intended to fly (post cruise) from Southampton to Paris....spend a few days...then fly on to Prague where we would have spent about a week.  We only cancelled the cruise after the Royal Edinburgh Tattoo was cancelled and we had strong doubts that the ship would be able to stop at any of its ports in either Greenland or Iceland (we suspect both countries will not allow ships for the remainder of the year).   We got somewhat lucky because Flybe Airlines, who was supposed to fly us from Southampton to Paris, went bankrupt in March.  Filing a dispute with our credit card company quickly got our money from that flight credited back to our account.  

We are now considering just flying to Paris in late August and then on to Prague.  Since we no longer would be using the 14 day TA cruise we will likely spend more time in both Paris and Prague...perhaps renting apartments.  Why am I posting this?  To simply point out that there are plenty of travel options other then cruising.   As lifelong travelers and cruisers we have learned to adapt to changing conditions, pricing, etc.  I should mention that we have spoken to several friends who are also avid long time cruisers and they have all suggested that they will likely stop cruising until there is a COVID-19 vaccine.  What we find somewhat amusing is that the cruise lines keep talking about various restrictions and new hassles for cruisers...especially if over 70.  But all that stuff is simply going to drive away many good customers who will simply turn to other travel options rather then play games with the cruise lines.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

I have read how some cruisers love sitting at the group tables meeting new people but I wonder when cruising starts again would this change? Would you be more inclined to have a table to yourself? 

DW and I are fairly social on vacations but dinner is one time we prefer to enjoy each other's company, so nothing will change for us.  So it was 2-tops pre-COVID and it'll be 2-tops post-COVID. 

Why do we like 2-tops?  Just read this thread.  :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 3

Why on earth would I be on a cruise if I was concerned about sharing a table or indeed have a 2 top hugger mugger beside another two top.   

The quick answer is we would not be concerned because we would not even consider a cruise if that were the case.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

With being within close proximity of other passengers everywhere else,  the last thing I'd  hesitate about would be sitting at  a table with other people.  Not to mention the fact that on some ships a table for two is just as close to other people as sitting at a larger table. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, clo said:

Please give some examples of where I can't keep social distance. And you said "afraid." I'd say wise.  How do you defend your comment?

On tenders, at muster, in the cruise terminal or lounge during check in.  That's off the top of my head.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ducklite said:

On tenders, at muster, in the cruise terminal or lounge during check in.  That's off the top of my head.

Thanks. I think I must not have been clear. I think there are loads of places where one can't. Thanks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marco said:

With being within close proximity of other passengers everywhere else,  the last thing I'd  hesitate about would be sitting at  a table with other people.  Not to mention the fact that on some ships a table for two is just as close to other people as sitting at a larger table. 

Difference is if you sit at a table for two, it is perfectly ok to ignore everyone around you. Not so much if you share a larger table with others. You will be viewed as being rude or stuck-up for not socializing.

3 hours ago, clo said:

Thanks. I think I must not have been clear. I think there are loads of places where one can't. Thanks.

You often seem easily confused which side of the table you are arguing for. So why did you then bait me to defend my comment that there are many places where one can’t distance. Do you just like to comment?

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

You often seem easily confused which side of the table you are arguing for. So why did you then bait me to defend my comment that there are many places where one can’t distance. Do you just like to comment?

Or maybe posting while drinking cheap wine!

4 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

With my luck if I decided to sit with others they would turn out to be Cruise Critic posters that I have on Ignore Mode in my settings.   🙂

😄😄😄

Edited by ldubs

12 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Difference is if you sit at a table for two, it is perfectly ok to ignore everyone around you. Not so much if you share a larger table with others. You will be viewed as being rude or stuck-up for not socializing.

During the early dark days of cruising when shared tables were the only option too often you encountered an overbearing busybody who interrogated you on personal details or those who felt it was their mission to generate a vibrant discussion focused entirely on themselves. It is so much nicer to enjoy a meal with companion(s) of your choosing and not endure the prattling of complete strangers whose humdrum observations and vapid opinions are of no interest.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ducklite said:

In an elevator, a taxi, bumping into you in a hallway, at a bar, comedy club, sneezing on a pool deck. It's pretty funny to think someone thinks they are going to cruise and maintain a 6 foot distance at all times. Even funnier to watch them try.

34 minutes ago, K32682 said:

During the early dark days of cruising when shared tables were the only option too often you encountered an overbearing busybody who interrogated you on personal details or those who felt it was their mission to generate a vibrant discussion focused entirely on themselves. It is so much nicer to enjoy a meal with companion(s) of your choosing and not endure the prattling of complete strangers whose humdrum observations and vapid opinions are of no interest.  

This is really the biggest concern I have with sharing a table. Sometimes we have great table mates, sometimes we have awkward ones, sometimes we have annoying ones. The odds are in our favor to sit by ourselves, and move the socializing to when we choose.

39 minutes ago, K32682 said:

Not all the early days of cruising were dark.

Not everybody was either a busybody or was overbearing.

Not every stranger prattled. 

Not every observation heard was humdrum, nor every opinion vapid.

To each his own:  by totally avoiding interaction it is possible to avoid irritants;  but some of us are willing to meet strangers, learn from them, and possibly contribute to their experiences.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Perhaps drinking a better aged, finer vintage might contribute to more thoughtful posting.   I think I might try to develop a test for this theory, now that I seem to have plenty of spare time.

Please report back 🙂

7 minutes ago, clo said:

Please report back 🙂

I will be happy to;  of course it will take time to develop approach and processes: varietals should be contemplated, varying amounts must be consumed — under indoor and outdoor conditions, with and without accompanying partnered dishes — there is much to consider It is a major undertaking, but I assume it gladly in the name of science.

• Like 2