MSC UK: Anyone got a refund

Vlad 1 of 4

4 minutes ago, Shocked91 said:

We finally received our refund for the March 12th cruise this Tuesday.

Glad you finally got your refund.  We got our FCC for the same cruise at the end of last week.  It's been a struggle, but at least we got there eventually!

1 minute ago, lovetoholiday said:

Glad you finally got your refund.  We got our FCC for the same cruise at the end of last week.  It's been a struggle, but at least we got there eventually!

Thank you. It sure has been a struggle. Glad you are sorted to. We might look at crusing on the Grandiosa next year.

So, 97 days after we should have sailed from Barbados to Southampton (31st March) the refund finally appeared in our bank today. That's me done with MSC - we had taken one cruise with them and were more than satisfied with the product but, having seen the way they mess people around (and not just over refunds) and their woeful lack of Customer Service I'll be taking any future cruise business elsewhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobal said:

So, 97 days after we should have sailed from Barbados to Southampton (31st March) the refund finally appeared in our bank today. That's me done with MSC - we had taken one cruise with them and were more than satisfied with the product but, having seen the way they mess people around (and not just over refunds) and their woeful lack of Customer Service I'll be taking any future cruise business elsewhere.

We are in US and at 105 days give or take.  MSC has given us three different times and one middle finger so far.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2020 at 9:16 AM, Bobal said:

hi there , remember me ? 😆. Gosh I think it is 10 years ago when we met  🤩 
We had official news today our 2nd September Preziosa cruise is cancelled , not booked directly with MSC , the UK travel agent phoned this morning and I requested a refund, she said it would take upto 120 days . I am fine with that so long as they tell you straight away . The agent is doing refunds by BACS and an e.mail was sent to me requesting our info.  
We have done 60 nights with MSC now on 8 cruises and have really had a great time but our loyalty will be tested on how they handle the major changes on our Seaview TA,  they changed from Miami to Port Canaveral for embarkation, thank goodness we have not booked flights or hotels yet . They changed the date and itinerary and also switched our cabin. So far no official notification but there is an OBC on the reservation for €200. 

This is unprecedented times for cruiselines and none of them will have a perfect record for customer service. We have done a L&S with RCI and two months later still waiting for an invoice with correct pricing AND notification that since I L&S the embarkation port has now changed making the transfer now  a 2.5 hour drive from the airport . Not good for John. 😠
I know one thing for sure whomever you cruise with it ain’t ever going to be the same 😔
Stay well and keep safe . 

Edited by heatherb1958

8 minutes ago, heatherb1958 said:

hi there , remember me ? 😆. Gosh I think it is 10 years ago when we met  🤩 

Of course I remember you, we met on Adventure and you're absolutely right - 10 years ago next month! 😄 hope you and John are keeping well.

I agree that times are difficult and things won't be the same for a long time. We only sailed once on MSC because the itinerary looked wonderful - and so it was, Venice to Durban. The TA looked great too with a number of new ports, not the same old same old you get with RC. However, the way they are messing people around with all the changes and the real lack of communication makes me very wary of trying them again. Thankfully we only have 2 cruises in the pipeline (both with RC), and not until next year, so we'll be staying cautious for a while. Hope you get your issues sorted out.

Stay safe xx

• Like 1

It was supposed to be a 'special celebration' - 45 years married. We were to cruise with MSC in Italy with our brother and sister- in-law (also celebrating 45 years married) and my mother-in-law, 94 years of age. She wanted to take her sons and their spouses on a special trip. Unfortunately due to Covid - 19, we cancelled our cruise for May 20, 2020 on March 10th. Our TA did all the notifications and we were told we would receive a 100% refund. It has been 123 days since our cancellation and 53 days since the scheduled departure date of the cruise. WE HAVE RECEIVED NOTHING! We have contacted MSC on numerous occasions and each time we get a different story. First it was 30 days, then 45 days, then 60 days and then it became 60 days from the scheduled departure date of the cruise. We keep being told that the refund "is in process" and that they are significantly understaffed and numerous other reasons that make me wonder how a company with as many "failings" as it has, can continue to be in business. Our TA has also not received any commissions from MSC. What a shabby way to treat people. We had never cruised with this company before and were told amazing stores about their quality and commitment to passengers. Needless to say, we will never deal with this cruise line in future. I understand that they are now sending out emails indicating that passengers will not receive refunds until December 2021. I would join any group who would like to move forward with a class action suit against MSC in an effort to recover refunds and all interest from our money that they are using to 'float' their business. Sometimes you need to step up and do the right thing. They are even on the ladder.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2020 at 6:45 AM, yorkshirephil said:

I have their terms and conditions in writing plus an email stating the refund had been sent, that was February, still no refund. This is no different from P&O who we have a cancelled cruise with. They are all playing the same games. It doesn't take a genius to know things are going to take a lot of sorting out but when you are lied to and cruise lines are constantly changing their so called new terms and conditions they are not covering themselves in glory. Saying that I can't wait to start cruising again once it is safe to do so.

Dear Yorkshirephil. It would be appreciated if you could post the terms and conditions for me. We booked through a TA and she relied on their website for terms & conditions. I am assuming that you booked your cruise prior to Feb. 2020 and therefore, the terms & conditions that you have were in effect and quite different from the ones that the MSC cruise lines is posting now. In order to put a dispute through on our credit card, they are asking for the terms & conditions in place when we made the booking - back in 2019. It would really help and we would be so appreciative. If you can post in this blog it would be appreciated or if you can post to Annoyed Cruiser, that would work as well. Thank you.

12 minutes ago, Annoyed Cruiser said:

Actually, if anyone has written documentation of the MSC refund policy prior to January 2020 and could post it for me, it would certainly help to make our case with our credit card company. 

Thanks so much!

I cancelled before lock down and should have received agreed refund 'withou delay'. Needless to say after 3 months of excuses i complained to ABTA, It took a hour or so of my time but the next day I had an email from MSC saying refund had been processed. It was in my account after a few days. Well worth the effort. Good luck!

2 minutes ago, sidari said:

This info is from the UK March 2019 to April 2020 brochure, hopefully you can open it up to read it.

IMG_20200710_215954.jpg

I can read it fine. Thanks so very much. Can you see any where where it says the amount of time to expect a refund? Also, would you have the criteria when a passenger cancels? I know I am asking a lot. I really a appreciate the time, effort and assistance that you have given me. Sincerely.

Dear Annoyed cruiser. The T&C I have are for the TA and not MSC so won't be of any use to you. Sorry I couldn't do more to help.

The one thing that sticks out now but didn't then was the Force majeure statement and the mention of pandemics.

15. Force Majeure Except where otherwise expressly stated in these Booking Conditions, Pan Express, airlines and other suppliers will not be liable for any change, compensation, cancellation, effect on your holiday, loss, damage or expense of any nature or description you suffer or incur or failure to perform or properly perform any contractual obligation(s) which is due to any event(s) or circumstance(s) which Pan Express, the airline or other supplier, could not, even with all due care, foresee or avoid. Such events may include but are not limited to war or threat of war, riot, civil strife, actual or threatened terrorist activity, industrial dispute, natural or nuclear disaster, adverse weather conditions, fire, flood, pandemics, systems failure and all similar events outside the control of the party concerned.

And it could have been such a simple answer.....Our travel agent reached out to her consortium who then reached out to the VIP of sales for MSC and they were told that the refunds will be processed 90 days from the sail date regardless of when it was cancelled.

Why did they not tell us that in March???

So keep you eye on that date.- August 18.

I will let you know what happens.

9 hours ago, Annoyed Cruiser said:

And it could have been such a simple answer.....Our travel agent reached out to her consortium who then reached out to the VIP of sales for MSC and they were told that the refunds will be processed 90 days from the sail date regardless of when it was cancelled.

Why did they not tell us that in March???

So keep you eye on that date.- August 18.

I will let you know what happens.

Another lie, we should have sailed 20th March and haven't had any useful information from MSC.

2 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Another lie, we should have sailed 20th March and haven't had any useful information from MSC.

I would concur although from US.  Told 60 then 90 then three more weeks.  Lies.

Thank you for the updates on what is happening in your particular situations. Lies seem to be an integral part of the travel industry - especially cruising. We haven't been on that many - 7 and only in the Caribbean, Mexico and Panama. This was to be our first venture to Europe. I have circled August 18 and will see what happens. MSC will never put anything in writing so it is difficult to hold them accountable. 

• 1 month later...

Well, it's the18th of August and guess what? Yup, received our refund, actually a few days early. I would like to think that MSC was up front about the refund being processed 90 days after sail date but the dates don't line up. I think it was because we had notified our credit card company's dispute resolution department. After providing them with all the details and email stating that the refund "was in process," the credit card company went after them and all of the interest owing on the outstanding amount which was a considerable sum. I didn't pay any interest and received my full credit. My fingers are crossed that any outstanding refunds get processed and that everyone will be back cruising in some way. Thanks so much for all of the suggestions and information. Take care everyone.

• Like 2

@Annoyed Cruiser thanks for coming back with your result . Our cancelled cruise date is 2nd September so no rush for us yet . 
I am having just as much fun with a UK booked RCI cruise getting funds and Future Cruise credits . The USA and German booked ones money came back very quickly . Doesn’t make sense .