Less than 70 days until Princess resumes cruising !

voljeep

Just now, voljeep said:

how realistic is that given the current circumstances ?  

'another' 60 day 'pause' coming up to extend that date to 9/1 ?

I think it highly unlikely cruising will resume July 1st. It is more likely to be extended until probably the end of 2020. The travels ban to the USA and Canada show no signs of being lifted for a while. Even if cruising does resume it could only resume for Americans on sailings out of the USA. Unless the travel ban is lifted before Sept 20th with no requirement for quarantine  my Father and I would not be able to travel. There would be no point to any non american travelling to the USA for a cruise unless they have 14 days to quarantine beforehand which very few people do or could afford to do.

My final payment date with my agency is June 15th although princess final payment date for the cruise is July 22nd 60 days before Sept 20th departure but I am don't think we will make it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I really want to see the world resume but I don't know how realistic that is. I suspect there will be another delay. I am not willing to make "final payment" for a cruise that may not sail given how refunds have been slow to occur. Our land trip to Japan was cancelled by the airlines, our Alaska cruise was cancelled for this summer. We have a cruise booked in September and another in December. The December one will make me sad if it doesn't happen. I suspect we will not be cruising this year. I am willing to cruise again when cruise lines can and the CDC has said they can, but our lock down/social distancing order is set to end May 3rd, and I don't think that's happening either. 

I am holding my breath on travel this year too.  We had a flight to Israel on May 12, I rescheduled for Sept 1... have doubts quarantine orders for visitors to Israel will be lifted by then, if not open, then we may lose our money, since we only had a year to re book, we booked a year ago October.   In a wait and see mode.  

I think 70 days is unrealistic

If/when Princess restarts, I think it will be very limited irineraries and ships ... perhaps only one ship each from California and Florida ... startup wilk be very slow

We have Japan cruises starting early in December and are hopeful BUT!!!  The main concerns are cancellation fees and final payment and then the timing of any cancellation.   Princess needs to make some decisions NOW for the rest of this year..  Surely we are entitled to some consideration; keep us informed.  Stop treating us like mushrooms.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@dog

Maybe around New Zealand.

I think that this would have to be available to those from Australia and New Zealand only, unless NZ totally changes its border close-down.   That might be possible with Australia as we are both at the same situation with the virus but I cannot see it happening with the rest of the world.

• Like 1

We have a September cruise booked with final payment due in June.  I am HIGHLY doubtful that will sail as some of the countries we are scheduled to visit have already cancelled events for September.

The way things are now how could you do these things with any semblance of social distancing:

• Embarkation
  • Muster drill
  • Dining
  • Entertainment
  • Tender process
  • Disembarkation

I can't imagine how you could be 6 feet away from anyone during any of those activities.  And there is no way there will be a vaccine in 70 days.  I am very disappointed because our trip has been planned for 2 years (!) but I don't see how it's possible in September, let alone 70 days.

• Like 2

I agree about the Sept. cruise. We have one as well, for the Med., that we've planned for 2 yrs. for our 50th anniversary. I am sure we will cancel before final payment (scheduled for June), but do wish Princess would be forthcoming with more information.  I really think it's already pretty obvious that Italy, for one, will not be allowing cruise ships in Sept.

5 hours ago, voljeep said:

how realistic is that given the current circumstances ?  

'another' 60 day 'pause' coming up to extend that date to 9/1 ?

Well the fact that they are not even sure they are going to have NFL or college games this fall it is difficult to see how cruising would be an option with all of the problems of social distancing on a cruise ship and COVID -19....maybe sometime 2021 if somehow COVID-19 does not pose the threat it poses now.....

• Thanks 1

I think one of the big reasons the cruise lines are reluctant to cancel too far ahead is financial. Think of the logistical nightmare of having to refund all those payments and deposits, all at once. The cruise lines are already in some financial jeopardy, that might send them over the edge. I read an article today about NCL's struggles, and how they are really hoping that many cruisers will not demand a refund but instead accept a FCC of 125%. They are just trying to stay in business. I can't say that I blame them, but I hope they consider how difficult they are making it for their loyal customers who need to plan.

For the record, I don't think there is much chance of cruising returning until spring of 2021, may be longer. I hope I'm wrong.......

• Like 2

Princess or any other cruise line could start up next week, next month or in Sept.   We could care less.

That does not mean that we would consider taking a cruise.  Princess looks after Princess.  We look after us.  We cannot see feeling safe or comfortable about cruising until mid next year, if then.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I was hoping to do a July cruise but it includes New York City.  Who would want to go New York City that soon (even if it is open).

I think it is going to be a long time before cruising is anywhere what it used to be like.  How long before airplanes are flying?  How long before people are willing to get on an airplane or cruise ship? 

Add to the above the possibility of a second wave of the Covid virus in the fall and winter.

20 minutes ago, joe d said:

How long before airplanes are flying?  How long before people are willing to get on an airplane or cruise ship? 

Airplanes are still flying. Just not at the rate they once were. Planes are very empty, airports look like ghost towns. 

I would not want to be on a plane right now, but when things open up, my company will make me travel if I want to remain employed. 

Edited by jennybenny
  • Like 1

We've got a 30 day northern European B2B booked on the Island leaving out of Copenhagen in early July and feel our chances of going will be dictated by how well things go in May as businesses in both the US and northern Europe gradually start to open back up. Our ship may change, as the Island is heading to the Philippines right now, but we're hopefull as we are ready to go on another cruise!

Edited by Ken the cruiser

9 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We've got a 30 day northern European B2B booked on the Island leaving out of Copenhagen in early July and feel our chances of going will be dictated by how well things go in May as businesses in both the US and northern Europe gradually start to open back up. Our ship may change, as the Island is heading to the Philippines right now, but we're hopefull as we are ready to go on another cruise!

I can't imagine northern European ports will be welcoming cruise ships in early July.  Plus there is a thread going about all the ships currently taking personnel back to their home countries, and Princess said some of these journeys will take up to 39 days.  I can't fathom how they will be able to recall all the necessary staff to begin cruising in early July, if they only got them home in early June.

I could be wrong, and hope I am.  But even Italy where they are slowly opening still says no large gatherings, no major mass transit, etc.  It's not like the flood gates are going to reopen on some magical date and life is going back to normal.   Again, we're supposed to be on the Island from Southampton in September and I am 99% convinced the cruise won't be happening.  

• Like 1