Less than 70 days until Princess resumes cruising !

voljeep

54 minutes ago, CaribbeanJen said:

WHOA- I never expected this conversation to be HERE...

Here's the thing-  we are in the MIDDLE of a pandemic.  Stats and numbers are still be collected.  It's far too premature to analyze them and produce conclusions.  RESEARCH TAKES A LONG TIME!  We, as Americans, like everything quick.  We want our answers.  We also hate any type of restriction.  This current environment is going against the grain for most of us.  People are not on their A game.  It's going to take some time before we can properly research, find ways to detect, treat and prevent Covid-19. Any report you are seeing right now is DRAFT without peer review.  There have been NO CONCLUSIONS.  I hate it too!  

Right On!!!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Expat Cruise said:

Our next cruise is July 7th from Sydney. 69 days until boarding....if the ship sails.

Sorry, not a hope. Our Prime Minister commented the other day that he expects international travel will not be allowed until the end of the year.

We had a Baltics cruise on Sky Princess starting the same day so I share your pain.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, leck57 said:

Sorry, not a hope. Our Prime Minister commented the other day that he expects international travel will not be allowed until the end of the year.

We had a Baltics cruise on Sky Princess starting the same day so I share your pain.

It is a win win however it goes.... if the cruise sails we have a good cruise.....if it does not Princess gives us more free money.....We will keep booking as long as the offer cruises, if canceled just book another one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Expat Cruise said:

It is a win win however it goes.... if the cruise sails we have a good cruise.....if it does not Princess gives us more free money.....We will keep booking as long as the offer cruises, if canceled just book another one.

A good theory if they don't go broke.

8 hours ago, bookmama22 said:

I just saw a posting several days ago on a respected news magazine site that Royal Caribbean has applied for a patent for RC branded face masks that passengers will need to wear when cruising. 

The Trademark they are asking for is "Seaface."

Per Royal Caribbean: "Right now, it’s just an idea”

Read a summary of an interview with the CEO of Carnival as he must have appeared on FOX in which he said for now they are continuing to book cruises but in reality have no idea when they will begin cruising in the future. They have 10,000 stranded crew members as well as some passengers that are on various ships and not allowed to disembark as Carnival cannot reach an agreement with the CDC. They want to try to organize charter flights so that they are not paying for individual flights for various places but have no way yet to organize any of these plans until they can reach agreement with the CDC. It is a giant mess and some of these crew members have been moved from ship to ship and forced to share sleeping quarters with people from other ship crews that are unknown to them.

did I miss something ?

Because of the coronavirus pandemic, the CDC instituted a "no-sail order" on cruise lines that initially took effect March 14, and now is extended through July 19, banning passenger cruises.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/cruise-lines-working-to-get-crews-home-amid-coronavirus-pandemic-but-its-slow-process/ar-BB13quCB?li=BBnbklE

• Like 1

2 hours ago, voljeep said:

did I miss something ?

Because of the coronavirus pandemic, the CDC instituted a "no-sail order" on cruise lines that initially took effect March 14, and now is extended through July 19, banning passenger cruises.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/cruise-lines-working-to-get-crews-home-amid-coronavirus-pandemic-but-its-slow-process/ar-BB13quCB?li=BBnbklE

You would have thought this type of news would have made it to other publications by now. As of yet I've been unable to find another article online referencing the No-Sail July 19 extension date Dave Berman referenced in is Florida Today article.

BUT I guess if one does the math, July 19th is 100 days (option 3) from the date, April 9th, CDC posted their guidelines. Fun times!!!

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bookmama22 said:

Read a summary of an interview with the CEO of Carnival as he must have appeared on FOX in which he said for now they are continuing to book cruises but in reality have no idea when they will begin cruising in the future. They have 10,000 stranded crew members as well as some passengers that are on various ships and not allowed to disembark as Carnival cannot reach an agreement with the CDC. They want to try to organize charter flights so that they are not paying for individual flights for various places but have no way yet to organize any of these plans until they can reach agreement with the CDC. It is a giant mess and some of these crew members have been moved from ship to ship and forced to share sleeping quarters with people from other ship crews that are unknown to them.

They do not have to reach an agreement, all they have to do is to follow CDC's guidelines.  Basically what was done with the passengers from the Coral when they were sent hope. Negotiating with the CDC is code for they don't want to do what the CDC is requiring them to do.

23 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

You would have thought this type of news would have made it to other publications by now. As of yet I've been unable to find another article online referencing the No-Sail July 19 extension date Dave Berman referenced in is Florida Today article.

Hopefully, both subscribers read the artical...

On 4/27/2020 at 12:23 PM, ace2542 said:

I think it highly unlikely cruising will resume July 1st. It is more likely to be extended until probably the end of 2020. The travels ban to the USA and Canada show no signs of being lifted for a while. Even if cruising does resume it could only resume for Americans on sailings out of the USA. Unless the travel ban is lifted before Sept 20th with no requirement for quarantine  my Father and I would not be able to travel. There would be no point to any non american travelling to the USA for a cruise unless they have 14 days to quarantine beforehand which very few people do or could afford to do.

My final payment date with my agency is June 15th although princess final payment date for the cruise is July 22nd 60 days before Sept 20th departure but I am don't think we will make it.

I believe we are booked on the same cruise...S.F. to Vancouver.

Do folks think it makes sense to hold on until Final Payment or cancel sooner?

16 hours ago, vunico said:

I believe we are booked on the same cruise...S.F. to Vancouver.

Do folks think it makes sense to hold on until Final Payment or cancel sooner?

Regardless of when I’ve booked a cruise I never pay the balance until it’s due.  My money can make a little bit of interest in my accounts and if something happens to me last minute I don’t have to go through any hassles to get my money back.

On 4/29/2020 at 7:55 PM, leck57 said:

I just looked on the Princess website … damned if you do, damned if you don't - that's the position Princess is in

there are currently 63 cruises available, per the website, to be booked for July and August … and yes, many of those are in the Australian market … and we all know those aren't happening ...

so should Princess 

1) bite the proverbial bullet and cancel those bookings out until a more reasonable, but still optimistic 9/1 commencement 

2) continue to head in sand approach, hoard money and bookings, and make the passengers cancel

now 9/1 is about 120 days … is that even realistic, as Princess continues to take crew home on their ships ?

On 5/1/2020 at 10:21 AM, bookmama22 said:

"Booking"  what a disingenuous response, of course he will say we see cruising returning to normal when it starts.

LOL what country or port will let a few thousand people from all over the world who have been eating, touching things in close proximity ( remember the Diamond, Grand and Zaandaam, ship is a breeding ground of infectious disease NOW PROVEN, deadly ones too ) need / must have vaccine ( no poor country wants to exposes its huge poor to another outbreak )

What he needs desperately is your hard cash today to pay todays bills for a future obligations.

OF COURSE CONTINUE TO BOOK AND PAY US!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Sailing to where? And to what ports?  Is the cruising public that gullible or are they that desperate to have a booked cruise to look forward to?

Who would commit money to a vacation where you did not know if it would happen, if the vacation would be as advertised, or if you would get your money back?  Better off to take the money, go to Vegas, and bet it all on the red.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, iancal said:

Sailing to where? And to what ports?  Is the cruising public that gullible or are they that desperate to have a booked cruise to look forward to?

Who would commit money to a vacation where you did not know if it would happen, if the vacation would be as advertised, or if you would get your money back?  Better off to take the money, go to Vegas, and bet it all on the red.

I think lots of die hards are booking if they cancel hope for 125% or 150% FCC .. I agree better wait and until this thing blows over.  

Dang if you took your cruise money and went all in on SP500 in April you'd be up 30% more than and cruise credit.

16 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

I think lots of die hards are booking if they cancel hope for 125% or 150% FCC .. I agree better wait and until this thing blows over.  

Dang if you took your cruise money and went all in on SP500 in April you'd be up 30% more than and cruise credit.

Yup, I am beginning to think that I should have taken option 1, which is a much better deal.

12 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

What is option 1 again?

Option 1 is/was 100% FCC for the Princess-cancelled cruise and a varying FCC as "compensation". In our case, for our April 4 trip cancelled in mid-March, it works out to 175% of the cost of the cancelled trip. The FCCs were applied to our CC account a few weeks ago.