How does Britannia compare to Azura and Ventura?

sidekick180

My July cruise on Ventura has recently been cancelled, which would have been our second time on that ship. Last year we were on Azura and out of those two ships, we definitely prefered the Azura. There was very little difference between the two ships, we just felt that Azura had a better vibe.

Since our July cruise is now cancelled, we have opted for the FCC and booked on Britannia for April 2021. I know that some of you will say that FCC is too much of a risk, but it's one that I decided to take. I personally think P&O will be fine and will survive this horrible situation, but nothing is guaranteed these days.

We have never been on Britannia, so I was hoping to get some insight to see how much difference there is between Azura, Ventura and Britannia?

I have had a good look round on some of the youtube ship tours, but you don't really get that much info. It does look really nice since it's refurb, although a few people have said the decor is a bit bland. I did notice as well, that there doesn't seem to be many hot tubs, not that this bothers me too much.

We are booked into a balcony cabin F505, so please feel free to comment on that cabin if you have stayed in it. All feedback would be gratefully received. Thanks

No comparison in my opinion. 

We don't dislike Ventura and Azura, but absolutely love Britannia. 

We should have just disembarked her on Sunday. 

Although bigger, Britannia feels far more spacious with lots of 'calmer' areas. 

The TVs in the cabins are far superior with a good choice of films if you need time out.. 

The much mentioned negatives are the smaller balconies, which we find adequate, no central staircase above the atrium, no proper promenade and crowded lifts. 

None of these bother us. 

Some say the decor is bland, we say elegantly understated... 

I'm sure you will have a great time. 

Andy 

• Like 3

Totally agree with Andy (even though he wants to turn Oceana in to bean cans) ;-)

We have been on all three ships and funnily enough we did not like Ventura, liked Azura and love Britannia.

She is bigger, has some great venues for special meals, great deck areas to sun bathe, an adults only quiet pool and we loved the atrium. The Blue Bar is great. The technology in the cabin is better and we just loved our aft cabin (larger than those on the side) and coped ok with the soot at times.

There is no prom deck sadly, but we loved her and would sail on her again God willing in a heart beat. You will have a great time !

PS We are booked on Azura for April 2021 so look forward to the days when we can chat about up coming cruises again

Edited by Presto2
  • Like 2

I agree with everything Andy has said. Having been on all the P&O fleet, as a ship, Britannia is our favourite. Arcadia is our least favourite, but Azura is second from bottom and Ventura third from bottom. We love Aurora and Oceana but miss the facilities of Britannia. 

Highlights - Epicurean (best in fleet). Sindhu (best in fleet). Limelight Lounge (artist dependent but nice food and a different experience). Cabins (ten times better than on any other ship - modern facilities and great TV’s with interactive on demand movies etc.

Lowlights - shallow balconies, soot on aft balconies, no promenade deck.

So, in summary, we would choose Britannia over Ventura and Azura any day.  

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I agree with everything Andy has said. Having been on all the P&O fleet, as a ship, Britannia is our favourite. Arcadia is our least favourite, but Azura is second from bottom and Ventura third from bottom. We love Aurora and Oceana but miss the facilities of Britannia. 

Highlights - Epicurean (best in fleet). Sindhu (best in fleet). Limelight Lounge (artist dependent but nice food and a different experience). Cabins (ten times better than on any other ship - modern facilities and great TV’s with interactive on demand movies etc.

Lowlights - shallow balconies, soot on aft balconies, no promenade deck.

So, in summary, we would choose Britannia over Ventura and Azura any day.  

We haven't been on Ventura,or Azura but have been on Britannia a number of times+about 10+ RCI,Celebrity,NCL and other lines ships. I would say that Britannia is certainly in the top 3, perhaps in some ways No1."there isn't a central staircase" seems to be a regular gripe. Not Bovvered. Lots of good points,but agree balconies are a bit mean. No reason not to go and enjoy. Shall we use Britannia ,or Iona for our Non-Landing Fjords Cruise?. Once the Caribbean comes out of Dreadlockdown we will be on Britannia again.

• Like 2

Thank you everyone for your insights. Sounds as though Britannia is a bit of a favourite for most then. As I said in my post, our favourite between Azura and Ventura was definitely Azura. We absolutely loved being on that ship, even though it was a very interesting cruise with lots of unusual happenings, which made it even more exciting.

Perhaps after our Cruise in April 2021(if it happens) our new favourite will become Britannia.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, sidekick180 said:

Thank you everyone for your insights. Sounds as though Britannia is a bit of a favourite for most then. As I said in my post, our favourite between Azura and Ventura was definitely Azura. We absolutely loved being on that ship, even though it was a very interesting cruise with lots of unusual happenings, which made it even more exciting.

Perhaps after our Cruise in April 2021(if it happens) our new favourite will become Britannia.

Seems like you are similar to us then if you preferred Azura to Ventura. We really liked Azura last year and look forward to sailing on her in April 2021 (or whenever). Am sure you will love Britannia. Oh to be there now eh …………… ;-)

Thinking about it we'd even go on Ventura living in a life boat and be happy ….

Just to ask, where is the cruise going to?

Interesting.  I really enjoyed Ventura last year and we have Azura next year.  My only to day venture into "big" ships was with RCI two years ago and found a 3500 passenger ship just too big. My wife apparently agrees as she says she doesn't like things to be too big.  Never saw the same people twice.  No real central area.  The new Iona cruise interests my wife however as apparently Gary Barlow visits every cabin to sing you to sleep.

Joking aside.  Is there a big different between Britannia and Navigator of the Seas?

1 hour ago, Dinglebert said:

Joking aside.  Is there a big different between Britannia and Navigator of the Seas?

I’ve sailed on Adventure of the Seas and she wasn’t for me. I like quiet, understated, my first cruise, aged 37 was on Fred. Olsen’s Black Watch which got me hooked on cruising. Completely different to RCI!

I’ve also sailed on Ventura and Britannia and enjoyed them both. They both have pros and cons. Yes, there is no promenade on Britannia but there is a top deck which had a circular loop to walk. Almost the same!  Plus we discover a “secret” deck (not really secret!) where nobody hardly goes,  to enjoy peace and quiet on a sun lounger. 

May I dissent. I love Oceana and don't mind Azura and Ventura, but did not take to Britannia at all. Did not feel like a ship, more like a hotel with a keel and rooftop swimming pool. Very little sensation of being at sea, and very little sight of it; almost as if they are trying to keep that nasty wet thing out of sight and mind. But as they say, one man's meat is another mam's poison.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Seems like you are similar to us then if you preferred Azura to Ventura. We really liked Azura last year and look forward to sailing on her in April 2021 (or whenever). Am sure you will love Britannia. Oh to be there now eh …………… 😉

Thinking about it we'd even go on Ventura living in a life boat and be happy ….

Just to ask, where is the cruise going to?

I assume you mean the Britannia cruise that we are on next April. If so, it's a Spain and Portugal cruise, which includes malaga and Lisbon. can't remember the other ports without digging the paperwork out.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Denarius said:

May I dissent. I love Oceana and don't mind Azura and Ventura, but did not take to Britannia at all. Did not feel like a ship, more like a hotel with a keel and rooftop swimming pool. Very little sensation of being at sea, and very little sight of it; almost as if they are trying to keep that nasty wet thing out of sight and mind. But as they say, one man's meat is another mam's poison.....

Each to their own.. 

I can't get my head around Oceana, but love Britannia and Aurora. 

Andy 

17 hours ago, Dinglebert said:

Interesting.  I really enjoyed Ventura last year and we have Azura next year.  My only to day venture into "big" ships was with RCI two years ago and found a 3500 passenger ship just too big. My wife apparently agrees as she says she doesn't like things to be too big.  Never saw the same people twice.  No real central area.  The new Iona cruise interests my wife however as apparently Gary Barlow visits every cabin to sing you to sleep.

We are on Iona at the end of August. Gary is on our cruise. DW really looking forward to Gary singing her to sleep😁. She told me when Gary pops by I can go to the bar. Shame really I would quite like to see him as well.🤪

19 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We are on Iona at the end of August. Gary is on our cruise. DW really looking forward to Gary singing her to sleep😁. She told me when Gary pops by I can go to the bar. Shame really I would quite like to see him as well.🤪

I love your optimism, but I fear you may well be disappointed.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Denarius said:

We've been on Britannia twice and I would agree with your observations. However, we are still booked to sail on her next year (all being well) as the cabin will suit our son and the other usual factors (price, timing, destinations) are taking precedent.

One tip I would pass on is that in our opinion The Oriental Restaurant is far better than the Meridian and Peninsular. The latter two are for freedom dining so you would have to choose fixed time club dining (to get into The Oriental Restaurant) but if you are okay with that it is worth it.

17 minutes ago, Les_ldh said:

I love your optimism, but I fear you may well be disappointed.

You have to pay £20 to see Gary. DW thought it was an auction and bid 50. That was the same as she bid for Cheney Hawks on Britannia in the Caribbean. I was just glad Harry Styles wasn't on board. I couldn't afford that.

• Haha 1

Part of our daily cruise exercise is to walk 3 miles or so around the prom deck of whatever ship we are on. The "loop" on the top deck of Brittania doesn't seem to fit in with that sort of exercise,  and the balconies appear to be minute. Plus, the ship has too many pax, overwhelming the population of sone of the smaller destinations.

As you may guess, we ain't going on Brittania! 

We were on Britannia in Feb, the last cruise round the Caribbean before she returned early to Southampton. It was our second time on her and while we do like her and would sail on her again, we prefer Azura. We love the Blue Bar, day or night. Quizzes during the day and music at night. It is really spacious overlooking the atrium. The decks seem more spacious too. We should have been on her in June, going to the Baltic, even got out favourite cabin on C deck. All cancelled now unfortunately. We are booked on her again next June but not sure we will be able to go as I am 70 in a couple of months. DH could go as he is younger than me - he wouldn’t dare go without me!  Whichever you decide on I am sure you will enjoy the experience. 

2 minutes ago, Jennizor said:

We were on Britannia in Feb, the last cruise round the Caribbean before she returned early to Southampton. It was our second time on her and while we do like her and would sail on her again, we prefer Azura. We love the Blue Bar, day or night. Quizzes during the day and music at night. It is really spacious overlooking the atrium. The decks seem more spacious too. We should have been on her in June, going to the Baltic, even got out favourite cabin on C deck. All cancelled now unfortunately. We are booked on her again next June but not sure we will be able to go as I am 70 in a couple of months. DH could go as he is younger than me - he wouldn’t dare go without me!  Whichever you decide on I am sure you will enjoy the experience. 

RCI have dropped the 70+ Doctors letter requirement. DW is under 70, so would have gone without me as long as Gary was there to tuck her in at bedtime. At least that's what she told me.

32 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Part of our daily cruise exercise is to walk 3 miles or so around the prom deck of whatever ship we are on. The "loop" on the top deck of Brittania doesn't seem to fit in with that sort of exercise,  and the balconies appear to be minute. Plus, the ship has too many pax, overwhelming the population of sone of the smaller destinations.

As you may guess, we ain't going on Brittania! 

We found you couldn't do that on Ventura either as, although people say you can use some stairs etc, we couldn't do a complete loop. 

Plus one side is just taken over by a smoking area, so found ourselves fighting past people standing around chatting. 

Andy 

34 minutes ago, zap99 said:

You have to pay £20 to see Gary. DW thought it was an auction and bid 50. That was the same as she bid for Cheney Hawks on Britannia in the Caribbean. I was just glad Harry Styles wasn't on board. I couldn't afford that.

Can I just fact check that?   They have Gary Barlow all over the adverts but if you actually want to see him play live you have to pay an extra £20?

58 minutes ago, Dinglebert said:

Can I just fact check that?   They have Gary Barlow all over the adverts but if you actually want to see him play live you have to pay an extra £20?

The cruise won't go, but Gary Barlow was doing shows in the main theatre. There was a charge of £20 with all monies going to a children's charity. Seemed a good idea to us. Anything that he earnt tucking the Ladies in at night, he kept.😁

21 hours ago, Denarius said:

Our aft cabin was just lovely as you could see the wake from the bed ----- we just loved it. Have to say, on Azura we loved the aft cabin as it is the only ship we have been in an aft cabin on where you looked straight down on to the sea. Fab cabin..

Oceana, just love sitting on her old balconies with my feet resting on the metal grill --- it has a nice ledge where you can put your wine glass :-)

Re Oceana, so sorry that we will not sail on her this year and hope they do not sell her off. It will be a sad day in the Presto household