If they plan to sail with a decreased capacity....

Midwifelife7

How would that work?  I was looking to see if my cruise (june 28th, magic, miami) had many cabins open, and it didn't look like there are many out there.  It looks like the ship is pretty full.  So, how would they go about sailing at 50% or 75% capacity if they are already booked beyond that?  

5 minutes ago, Midwifelife7 said:

How would that work?  I was looking to see if my cruise (june 28th, magic, miami) had many cabins open, and it didn't look like there are many out there.  It looks like the ship is pretty full.  So, how would they go about sailing at 50% or 75% capacity if they are already booked beyond that?  

That is one of the great mysteries of life that everyone here on CC has been asking themselves, and as of right now there ARE no answers to that questions. It's a 'wait and see' condition we are all in. Anything else is just pure speculation, which we do a LOT here on the Carnival forum. :classic_laugh:

25 minutes ago, ScubaKat said:

one possibility is to limit the number of available cabins.  So when you see the ship looking full it could be because they are nearing their predetermined limit.  

This... plus the new sail rules might eliminate a few as well (over 70 years old, underlying medical conditions) 

Well, since the CDC order ensures cruise ships stay parked until late July ... then it's seems clear that cruise isn't going to happen.

And in that case, why wouldn't CCL pocket the deposits for 100% of cabins? At this point, the major cruise lines are just playing a financing game with passengers' money anyway ... so why let 40 percent off the hook now?

The history since early March shows that the companies will keep as much of the deposit cash as possible ... then delay cancellation as long as possible. An interest-free loan from passengers. (And even better if they can then deflect the passenger's refund request into an FCC)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Midwifelife7 said:

I think regular cancellations will take care of some of it. Some people aren’t going to be ready to get on a cruise ship yet. Beyond that I would expect them to start offering FCC + OBC to people willing to reschedule. Increasing the OBC number if they have to.

I was looking at an August cruise on another line and only the lowest category of cabins of each type is showing available. The others are sold out. I looked at about 5 other dates and the same thing was showing. I seriously doubt these cabins are actually sold out since this ship was only recently redeployed to the Caribbean for the summer after having its Alaska cruises cancelled. 

Edited by reeinaz

1 hour ago, Midwifelife7 said:

They probably are marking every other cabin as 'sold' to ensure they sail at 50% capacity and to make sure people don't book cabins next to each other- which will make the ship look full when it really isn't.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

Well, since the CDC order ensures cruise ships stay parked until late July ... then it's seems clear that cruise isn't going to happen.

And in that case, why wouldn't CCL pocket the deposits for 100% of cabins? At this point, the major cruise lines are just playing a financing game with passengers' money anyway ... so why let 40 percent off the hook now?

The history since early March shows that the companies will keep as much of the deposit cash as possible ... then delay cancellation as long as possible. An interest-free loan from passengers. (And even better if they can then deflect the passenger's refund request into an FCC)

CDC order ends june 26th or so

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

CDC order ends june 26th or so

It's actually July 24 - CDC shows this info and it spells out the date under their "No Sail Order for Cruise Ships":

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/index.html

April 9, 2020 Update

On April 9, 2020, CDC renewed the No Sail Order and Other Measures Related to Operations Order signed by the CDC Director on March 14, 2020—subject to the modifications and additional stipulated conditions as set forth in this Order. The Order is published in the Federal Register and effective as of April 15, 2020 (https://www.federalregister.gov/d/2020-07930external icon).

The extended Order is in effect until one of the following occurs:

• The Secretary of Health and Human Services’ declares that COVID-19 no longer constitutes a public health emergency, or
  • The CDC Director rescinds or modifies the order based on specific public health or other considerations, or
  • 100 days have passed from April 15, the date the extended order was published in the Federal Registerexternal icon and went into effect. 100 days from April 15 is July 24.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

The CDC isn't the final word in when cruises happen. One of the conditions allowing cruising isn't up to the CDC.

It is impossible to uncancel a cruise once canceled. As with hurricanes, cruise lines are going to wait until they know with certainty that a cruise will not happen.

I don't think you grasp the logistics of what goes into making a cruise happen, or what needs to be undone to cancel one.

With offices closed, staff working from remote locations, and well over a million refunds to process, it takes time. Not all are choosing  refunds, many are choosing to reschedule which also takes time.

There is no cruise line conspiracy.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, a3593 said:

Can someone tell me where it's stated that CCL will reduce capacity? I was wondering if they planned to do that, but I can't find firm information on it.

John Heald has mentioned it a few times in his FB posts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ibarrio said:

This... plus the new sail rules might eliminate a few as well (over 70 years old, underlying medical conditions) 

I don't know if that's going to happen but who knows?  Most people in their 70's have underlying health issues and if they eliminated those I would think the longer cruises (think Hawaii) would probably go away.  We did a Hawaiian cruise back in 2014 and I was 65 back then.  Yet, we were youngsters compared to most of the other passengers.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cyn874 said:

They probably are marking every other cabin as 'sold' to ensure they sail at 50% capacity and to make sure people don't book cabins next to each other- which will make the ship look full when it really isn't.

I have seen this posted several times on here.  I don't see where if that's the  case that anyone that has had a cabin booked next to one that was already booked been told they have to move to a different cabin.  That would add to the  logistical nightmare that they are already going through.  One article I read speculated that they may limit bookings to balcony cabins only.  Again, that was speculation like everything else is right now. 

11 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

The CDC isn't the final word in when cruises happen. One of the conditions allowing cruising isn't up to the CDC.

It is impossible to uncancel a cruise once canceled. As with hurricanes, cruise lines are going to wait until they know with certainty that a cruise will not happen.

I don't think you grasp the logistics of what goes into making a cruise happen, or what needs to be undone to cancel one.

With offices closed, staff working from remote locations, and well over a million refunds to process, it takes time. Not all are choosing  refunds, many are choosing to reschedule which also takes time.

The CDC with the 100 day "no sail" does mean ships can't sail until July 24th, unless the CDC recinds/reduces the number of days. 

So until that time comes the CDC has the final say.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

Are you sure  on the date?

a tough one, they would not pocket the deposits because that would be illegal, you have moved from calling posters liars to calling Carnival a thief now.  

the history has shown that all March and most of April cruisers are getting their monies back.  Why the anti Carnival agenda, let’s discuss this. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, a3593 said:

Can someone tell me where it's stated that CCL will reduce capacity? I was wondering if they planned to do that, but I can't find firm information on it.

They are reducing capacity through the booking engine, not cancelling some people off of a sailing.

12 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Maybe just a anti cruise line conspiracy, oh wait, it would need to be more than one poster for that, never mind. 

Whatever the capacity or whatever the CDC says, before a vaccine what is CCL's liability if one of the 10s of thousands of passengers gets on board with it and infects a ship?  And if a another ship ends up getting some level of quarantine treatment, will it be worth it to the industry? 

Edited by naxer
correction

9 minutes ago, naxer said:

Whatever the capacity or whatever the CDC says, before a vaccine what is CCL's liability if one of the 10s of thousands of passengers gets on board with it and infects a ship?  And if a another ship ends up getting some level of quarantine treatment, will it be worth it to the industry? 

Good question, as we know their are no guarantees in anything.  All they can do is the best they can do.  If they were to nothing until a proven vaccine comes out, cruising as we know it would be over, it could actually be years, or maybe we may never have a 100% effective vaccine.  Obviously, that is not the answer, so it becomes shades of gray.  It costs line millions of dollars for their ships to either sit idle or cold storage and without cruising there is no revenue, these are their drivers.  Their efforts are to every single in their power to provide a safe cruising experience. The issues that transpired are from when the virus was exploding over the world, and they along with everybody else, were caught up in that.  I have seen nothing that when sailing (and the rest of things in our world now) are safe to “reenter” that we should treat cruising any differently than you would fly, or go to a hotel or land based vacation.  The mitigation plan required from the cruise lines by the cdc (lopsided in my opinion) is how they will del worth it.  They are ready to take that risk, we will see whether cruisers really ready as well.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

They are reducing capacity through the booking engine, not cancelling some people off of a sailing.

But doesn't it seem like the reduced capacity policy is speculation? I saw where they were "throwing it out there." But unlike the firmly stated policy surrounding cancellations, extra cleaning, etc, they have never come right out and said they are doing this. That's what I am trying to find. Otherwise, how can we "socially distance" on a ship?

1 minute ago, a3593 said:

But doesn't it seem like the reduced capacity policy is speculation? I saw where they were "throwing it out there." But unlike the firmly stated policy surrounding cancellations, extra cleaning, etc, they have never come right out and said they are doing this. That's what I am trying to find. Otherwise, how can we "socially distance" on a ship?

I think the speculation is based on medical experts and guidance provided by both federal and state leaders saying social distancing in some form is going to be required for awhile. A lot of people have come to the same conclusion that the only way this can happen on a ship, at least to some degree, is by reducing the number of passengers on the ship.

However, like you, I have not seen this idea stated by any cruise line.  At some point, and this is just my opinion, the cruise lines are going to have to implement significant changes to resume operations. I don’t see cruise lines waiting to return to operations when the world gets back to normal, especially considering that day may never come. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, a3593 said:

Even with reduced capacity it would be impossible to socially distance....unless the ship sailed at something like 25% capacity and without children (just because they may not follow rules).  Imagine getting on/off the ship with 6 ft between you and the guy in front of you and another 6 ft with the guy in back of you.

And, I keep going back to the subject of elevators....so many passengers just won't walk the stairs!  In my building we have a one person/family at a time rule.  This just won't work on a ship.

All the cleaning and hand washing in the world won't do anything if one asymptomatic person has one big sneeze.

• Like 1