Italy Law Regarding Canceling Tours?

EntrechatatSea

Have any of you had trouble cancelling upcoming Italy tours?  I canceled our cruise for next October on the Celebrity Millennium and attempted to cancel a tour from BellaItalia tours out of Civitavecchia.  Even though I am well within the time frame to cancel I was told that an Italian Covid law forbids them from giving me any refund.  Just wanted to know if anyone has experienced this and if you know the validity of the claim.

Thank you for your time and stay well.

39 minutes ago, EntrechatatSea said:

Have any of you had trouble cancelling upcoming Italy tours?  I canceled our cruise for next October on the Celebrity Millennium and attempted to cancel a tour from BellaItalia tours out of Civitavecchia.  Even though I am well within the time frame to cancel I was told that an Italian Covid law forbids them from giving me any refund.  Just wanted to know if anyone has experienced this and if you know the validity of the claim.

Yes, I came across this with a small boat cruise in Athens. Cancelled well before any penalties. They were going to refund me then before she did, Athens went into Lockdown. Then Europe has passed laws due to Covid that means they only have to provide a voucher for the interim not a cancellation. We will not be going to Greece next year as we have other things planned so we've lost out about $1500. Not happy Jan. 😡

We were booked for a tour with Bellaitalia for May.  I contacted them around March 9 or 10 to cancel and our money was returned on March 11th.  This would have been just before the lockdown.  

We have timed entry tickets for the Duomo in Milan and like Alpaca1 no refund just a voucher.  So unfortunately it seems Bellaitalia is doing what they are required to do. 

It´s not a European law... actually EU did say no to vouchers. Therefore here in Germany we don´t have any regulations allowing the companys to give vouchers (but they do anyway and simply don´t care). Italy has a law allowing to give vouchers instead of returning money back.

steamboats.

2 hours ago, steamboats said:

It´s not a European law... actually EU did say no to vouchers. Therefore here in Germany we don´t have any regulations allowing the companys to give vouchers (but they do anyway and simply don´t care). Italy has a law allowing to give vouchers instead of returning money back.

steamboats.

This is what my Greek operator told me

Faced with the unprecedented turn of events, the Greek state, as well as other EU countries, recently passed a law that allows businesses in the travel industry to issue a voucher instead of extending an immediate refund. The voucher covers your deposit for your booking from 2020 to December 31,  2021. If you do not redeem your voucher within 18 months from the issue date, the entire amount will be returned to you at that time.

We really do regret any inconvenience this new legislation may cause, but please bear in mind that, particularly in Greece, entire communities’ primary (sometimes sole) source of income comes from tourism. We truly believe we are in this together and want to thank you in advance for your solidarity.

Of course our business went belly up once we had to stop trading but they don't care. And as if I'm going to wait until December 2021 for refund of voucher. Pigs will fly on getting that back. 

They don't have to do this but they are using it as the reason. 

So, I’m reading that to say that they are giving vouchers now but if you don’t redeem the voucher by the time limit you get a refund? Sounds like a hassle but not a huge deal. May be to help keep tour operators from going out if businesss by not having to issue refunds until they are receiving income again.

• Thanks 1

It’s a difficult one. We travel down south to holiday cottages twice a year when I go to see my mum in a nursing home. It’s a small family business and they have moved people over to later in the year rather than giving refunds. I have a feeling if they had to refund everyone they would probably go under and their staff out of work. To be honest I would rather they did it this way and survive. Jobs are retained, the local community does not suffer quite as bad, and we still have our cottages to stay at. Given that  I do have a level of sympathy with credit notes/ vouchers. When this is over the more businesses that go under the harder it’s going to be to recover. My friend is a hairdresser and he’s a couple of months away from losing his business and his home because he can’t pay the mortgage, he lives on his own so no second income coming in. My wife and I are lucky because we work for a local authority and are in banking. I’ve been home for five weeks now on full pay. Even with the cruise lines if it’s the difference between being able to cruise in the future and not I could easily live with it. It’s money already put aside for a holiday so not in our everyday living budget. Just my opinion because I know plenty on here just want their money back and not a FCC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Pushka said:

This is what my Greek operator told me

Faced with the unprecedented turn of events, the Greek state, as well as other EU countries, recently passed a law that allows businesses in the travel industry to issue a voucher instead of extending an immediate refund. The voucher covers your deposit for your booking from 2020 to December 31,  2021. If you do not redeem your voucher within 18 months from the issue date, the entire amount will be returned to you at that time.

We really do regret any inconvenience this new legislation may cause, but please bear in mind that, particularly in Greece, entire communities’ primary (sometimes sole) source of income comes from tourism. We truly believe we are in this together and want to thank you in advance for your solidarity.

Of course our business went belly up once we had to stop trading but they don't care. And as if I'm going to wait until December 2021 for refund of voucher. Pigs will fly on getting that back. 

They don't have to do this but they are using it as the reason. 

I had similar wording from a hotel chain for a  room I booked through Expedia for end of May 2020.  I cancelled my Rome cruise and on March 5th cancelled room through Expedia requesting refund. Expedia responded saying they would send me update within 48 hours which never happened. Law changed March 15th requested refund March 5th. Disputed the amount with my bank based on non compliance. 

• Like 1

Not very fair to those who pre paid..  They know quite well folks might never use vouchers!  You are  subsidizing them  rather than have their govs do something to help the citizens! All you can do is post a neg review so others will not be trapped .  Would trvl ins help out?

That's why we book our excursions with the cruiseline!

7 hours ago, Pushka said:

the Greek state, as well as other EU countries, recently passed a law

That´s the point... it´s that some EU countries passed a law but it´s not the EU. Travel industry in Germany did ask for such a law and as good as we are we asked the EU first and they said no, a voucher is against EU law and therefore Germany did skip the plans...

steamboats

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, hcat said:

Not very fair to those who pre paid..  They know quite well folks might never use vouchers!  You are  subsidizing them  rather than have their govs do something to help the citizens! All you can do is post a neg review so others will not be trapped .  Would trvl ins help out?

h - we have to remember that a few of the EU countries were in pretty poor economic shape before C-19, now with it they are even worse so they have to implement some stop gap policies to keep as many businesses afloat for as long as they can, now.

bon voyage

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hcat said:

Travel insurance would be useless in this case as they clearly state you must accept the option of a voucher versus refund if one is offered. They're not much different than the cruiselines..... in business to take and keep your hard earned dollars. 

10 hours ago, sanger727 said:

So, I’m reading that to say that they are giving vouchers now but if you don’t redeem the voucher by the time limit you get a refund? Sounds like a hassle but not a huge deal. May be to help keep tour operators from going out if businesss by not having to issue refunds until they are receiving income again.

In contrast, Alaska is suffering from the same economic impact of a lack of tourist income, and yet their excursion companies are honoring their full refund agreements.  Alaska Railroad even gave a full refund when their standard agreement was only 90%.  They and Kenai Fjords Tours will certainly get my money next time we are able to cruise - hopefully in late July 2021.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

h - we have to remember that a few of the EU countries were in pretty poor economic shape before C-19, now with it they are even worse so they have to implement some stop gap policies to keep as many businesses afloat for as long as they can, now.

bon voyage

Bo,

Respectfully, so are Carib Islands, workers at Us and other ports...all hurting.  And even some who booked cruises and excursions now that they have no job !

If those EU hotels or  businesses go belly up, like  cruise lines might, the vouchers will be useless..Always more risk with non cruiseline booked excursions. Heard Royal C at one point was not current with its tour operators..hope no longer the case,

Edited by hcat
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, hcat said:

If those EU hotels or  businesses go belly up, like  cruise lines might, the vouchers will be useless.

I booked a Best Western hotel for 2 nights pre cruise in Rome and they would not refund. Don't think BW will go bankrupt.  My flight to Rome has been cancelled by the airline so I plan to dispute based on the fact I have no transportation to Rome. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, BSinPNS said:

Most hotels are franchisee owned and managed by the brand.  

I understand they are franchisee owned but they still operate under the Best Western chain of hotels as I spoke to head office in Arizona and they were able to access my booking.  Since their policy and terms changed as of March 15th as far as refunds are concerned and I cancelled on March 10th prior to the new policy being implemented I feel a refund is due which my bank's dispute department has processed. There is no flight to Rome for my date therefore unable to stay at their hotel. Understand its beyond their control but also mine.  

18 hours ago, EntrechatatSea said:

I can't post the version in Italian sent by my grandson, but it allows - does not mandate - tourist venues or pretty much all types to offer vouchers instead of refunds.

This is indeed unprecedented times.  The hotels and our operators especially in Italy have pretty much zero business and no beginning of tourism until next year; thus no cash.  They like Italy itself are broke.

Similar to independent restaurants in the US and Canada.  Am guessing a lot of gift certificates they sold will be worthless after they go bankrupt.

This situation is unique.  I will continue to join and organize private tours.  Have saved enough $$ over the last 25 year's to pay for a cruise or two.

5 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

bon voyage

Sure. Our business will basically have to close in September once Govt support ends. However we fully refunded any outstanding monies. I'm not a Charity. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, WestLakeGirl said:

Try the European departures board since this is not Celebrity’s issue

It may not be Celebrity’s issue but it is definitely Celebrity Customer’s issue. Definitely belongs here. 

• Like 3