Should the Cruise Industry be bailed out?

2 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

Anybody else find it ironic that the Federal unemployment stimulus was $600 a week, or $15/hour? Only for 12 weeks....... so far...

I know a lot of folks making more by not working than if they were still working. 

They are getting stimulus plus unemployment. 

19 hours ago, flyguyjake said:

No publicly traded company should ever get a tax payer bailout or grant. Loans at current market rates, sure. Many of our largest corporations pay ZERO in taxes. That should also be a requirement to qualify for a loan, the company must actually "pay" taxes. I'm sick and tired of bailing out corporations who just buy back their own stock and give executive raises.

Why haven't we passed a federal $15 min wage? Haven't "essential" workers proved themselves yet? Its disgusting how we crap on our most needed workers.

Don't know where you get your info but corporate America pays more taxes than you could possibly imagine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, soremekun said:

Side note.  Here in Boston, liquor stores are essential businesses and they're open while dentists are closed.

They kept liquor stores open here because alcoholics would go into detox and need beds. They said to save hospital beds. 

Lol the cruise companies arent even asking for bailouts since they know they cant get them. Now the states in usa ... they are begging for bailouts. Talk about cans of worms. Everyone wants free money.. I'll take some if it's being given out, thanks. Our poor grandkids inheriting this debt. What happened to those who used to care about debt. Silent.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

It really depends the snapshot in time and the specifics. To say these companies pay no taxes is political narrative and just not true.  Sure some end up with very low tax rates after write offs but they employ a lot of people and create off shoot jobs. Don’t forget those employees pay taxes as well. 

Here is an article concerning the #1 on the list, Amazon  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/does-amazon-really-pay-no-taxes-heres-the-complicated-answer-11560504602

Edited by Milwaukee Eight
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, txart said:

Yes, the cruise industry is very important to the USA. Laws should also be changed to encourage the companies to be based here.

Likewise, the US is very important the cruise industry. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

It really depends the snapshot in time and the specifics. To say these companies pay no taxes is political narrative and just not true.  Sure some end up with very low tax rates after write offs but they employ a lot of people and create off shoot jobs. Don’t forget those employees pay taxes as well. 

Here is an article concerning the #1 on the list, Amazon  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/does-amazon-really-pay-no-taxes-heres-the-complicated-answer-11560504602

Wasn't stating an opinion, just answering the question  about naming US companies that paid no taxes.

Have no problem with US based companies (and individuals) who legally use tax code to their advantage.  If congress is unhappy they can always close loopholes.  Have a big problem with companies like cruise lines who avoid taxes and regulation by registering overseas but still want same benefits and protections as US companies.  While the pool of available bailout money is huge it isn't infinite and demand for funds outstrips supply.  IMO first priority should go to US registered companies.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Baron Barracuda said:

While the pool of available bailout money is huge it isn't infinite and demand for funds outstrips supply.  IMO first priority should go to US registered companies.  

Just what bail out money are you saying the cruises asked for or got? What protections did they ask for. Sounds like unfounded concerns to me. Ccl says no bailout for them. Havent heard from rcl.

I saw a interview with someone I believe was on a HAL ship, she didnt have a good connection. She is a us citizen and has a job on the ship but cdc wouldnt let her off. She feels she isnt getting treated equal to other citizens. Everyone views it different.

Just now, firefly333 said:

Just what bail out money are you saying the cruises asked for or got? What protections did they ask for. Sounds like unfounded concerns to me. Ccl says no bailout for them. Havent heard from rcl.

I saw a interview with someone I believe was on a HAL ship, she didnt have a good connection. She is a us citizen and has a job on the ship but cdc wouldnt let her off. She feels she isnt getting treated equal to other citizens. Everyone views it different.

I saw same thing. CDC said Hal wouldn’t supply charter transportation from the port as required so she was denied disembarkation. Media hysteria. 

6 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I saw same thing. CDC said Hal wouldn’t supply charter transportation from the port as required so she was denied disembarkation. Media hysteria. 

Idk if was my tv box or what, i had trouble hearing the whole thing. Yes it seemed like they were trying to paint cruiselines bad was about all I got from it. 

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

Idk if was my tv box or what, i had trouble hearing the whole thing. Yes it seemed like they were trying to paint cruiselines bad was about all I got from it. 

It has been my understanding since this started, once the CDC got involved with the cruise lines, it required private charter to airports and such, for crew to disembark. The CDC didn’t want them dumped off the ships. 

8 hours ago, soremekun said:

Side note.  Here in Boston, liquor stores are essential businesses and they're open while dentists are closed.

Guessing alcohol does not cause cavities.

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Didn't say they requested bailout.  Thread is titled "should the cruise industry be bailed out".  My vote is no.  

• Like 2

On 4/30/2020 at 1:51 PM, flyguyjake said:

Many of our largest corporations pay ZERO in taxes. 

Why haven't we passed a federal $15 min wage? 

You do realize of course that most corporations do pay taxes.  Sure, anyone can find some in a particular year that do not, but there are reasons for that.  

You also do realize a $15 minimum wage would destroy a lot of jobs.  The free market economy works in setting appropriate compensation

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2