Face masks Onboard?? Yes or No --- merged thread

geckoaz

4 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

I just flew from Philadelphia to St. Louis yesterday for 2 hours and 15 minutes wearing a mask. I sincerely hope we are not going to be required to wear one for 168 hours. That was not a good experience.  And yes, I know we won't wear one 24/7 obviously when sleeping or showering...or will we? As an aside, what a world of difference in social distancing between NJ and Missouri!!! The open states are so lucky. 

I fully expect bed checks.  Maybe shower ones too.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, geckoaz said:

Should cruise ships supply free masks? You are on a ship and it is not like you can run to a store or find them. Should it be provided like a life vest? I think they should provide free masks. They provide free hand sanitizer. 

I would imagine if the CDC requires a certain type of mask that the cruise lines would have to supply them.  I still don't see how cruising will happen if a mask is required to be worn at all times.  The only way it seems realistic if it just has to be worn at embarkation.

• Like 1

Honestly wearing a mask on an aircraft is not a bad idea because you are breathing recirculated air.If the

airlines have HEPA filters installed on their aircraft that is good but that doesn't protect you if someone is sick one or two rows from you and is sneezing or coughing so it up to the person not to fly if they are sick.

Edited by shipbound2

Please help me and possibly understand the real issue with wearing mask? As men some of us wear hats even when we are supposed to remove them (inside, etc). I have seen women wear and complain about hair rollers (they do continue to wear them).  To some they are all uncomfortable and unfashionable but the manufacturers still make them in abundance.  

If men continue to wear hats/caps and women continue to wear hair accessories, then how bad could a mask be? It just might protect you from those alien germs !!!

Sailing Is Fundamental!!! Mask might become Mandatory!!! 

56 minutes ago, PaulieG13 said:

Seriously? None of your examples cover your face and restrict your breathing. Big difference!

Where in the world is the wear of hats mandatory?

Your analogy would have been better suited if maybe you used as an example, the mandatory wear of clothing to cover genitals in most public places (restrictive, yet necessary)!

I would rather smell the fresh ocean air than continuously sucking in my own breath. 

Besides, there is no confirmed evidence that wearing a mask is more beneficial than not, considering all the health issues that can be brought on by wearing a mask continuously. The information available on the internet is contradicting from one source to the next.

You forgot to mention how stupid they look....especially for women who wear earrings.

I do worry about the continuous wearing of one...and breathing in "whatever chemicals" are in those masks.

We go out for a walk every day...and we walk "where no one else goes" just to "walk naked". (We do social distance and I carry the mask in my hand....just in case.)

• Like 2

I had a funny thought. How many of you have ever gotten a good tan or sunburn while wearing sunglasses? I know I have plenty of times. Just a few months ago, I was walking around the ship for the last few days with burnt cheeks while the top half of my face was still light (from my hat & sunglasses). I have a full beard, so that's the only thing that saved my face from being completely divided in two. Let's say they make masks mandatory. Imagine all the oddball facial tans and burns from that. 😷😜

1 hour ago, jetsfan58 said:

Please help me and possibly understand the real issue with wearing mask? As men some of us wear hats even when we are supposed to remove them (inside, etc). I have seen women wear and complain about hair rollers (they do continue to wear them).  To some they are all uncomfortable and unfashionable but the manufacturers still make them in abundance.  

If men continue to wear hats/caps and women continue to wear hair accessories, then how bad could a mask be? It just might protect you from those alien germs !!!

Sailing Is Fundamental!!! Mask might become Mandatory!!! 

I don't wear rollers, precisely because they are uncomfortable and I am very particular about my hair accessories. I tend to wear clothing that is not too restrictive as well. Perhaps that is because I have sensitive skin, to include Rosacea. When I've had to wear my mask for considerable time in the heat, I can feel a flare up (with beginnings of minor rash). I can handle popping into the grocery store for a bit but out in the heat for long periods, I know it would flare up. I won't consider putting one on outside anymore, I just avoid crowds where someone might be uncomfortable. I wouldn't want to get yelled at like that lady in New York! So, if they are mandatory beyond embarkation type events, I won't be on a ship. That's okay, lots of vacation options out there! I feel confident cruising will be back to normal at some point.

• Like 3

Generally genius level creativity is a result of necessity. Let's hope that someone (who wants to be the next millionaire?) will create a mask or protective gear that:

1). Doesn't manifest the cumbersome effect or the apparent embarrassment that hair rollers seem to do.

2). Covers enough our our faces that it minimizes the effects and/or prevents sun burn.

3). Is CDC approved

4). That you don't have to be a gentlemen and remove while inside.

5). Will be handed out "free" as part of your cruise "package".

6). Is kid friendly

7). Is available in all colors and styles to match our uninhibited cruise wear

8). Most Importantly Saves Lives!!! 

You are not going. To have to wear a mask 24/7.  In your cabin masks are not needed.  When you sit at a table in MDR  you must take your mask off.  If the seating in Theaters are six feet apart mask are not needed.  So masks are needed when walking around . In elevators,  gift shops.  Picking up food at food stands  ect.  
People come from all over to go on cruises,  most just came off a airplane.  It’s just a little effort to keep yourself and other people safe.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, geckoaz said:

Should cruise ships supply free masks? You are on a ship and it is not like you can run to a store or find them. Should it be provided like a life vest? I think they should provide free masks. They provide free hand sanitizer. 

They most certainly should provide them, in my opinion. The paper (surgical) masks are supposed to be thrown away after a single use. They're not meant to be warn for days on end. Passengers shouldn't be expected to bring a week's supply of masks. The cotton masks are supposed to be washed after every use. Again, passengers shouldn't be expected to pay to wash their masks regularly.

3 hours ago, jean87510 said:

As an aside, what a world of difference in social distancing between NJ and Missouri!!! The open states are so lucky. 

Out here in the sticks, we're often spread out. We have natural social distancing! 😁

10 minutes ago, wareaglefan444 said:

i have 4 cruises coming up, if mask are even mentioned i will cancel all of them. I havent worn one yet and have no plans on it. 

Don't they make them for "one size fits all". I am going to assume that you don't wear them because you can't find them? 

I am not a huge fan, however, I am a Jets fan so I will say "Roll Namath"!!     

If our December cruise is still a go and they want us to wear face coverings, we're out. I don't wear them at work and I won't wear them on vacation. It's too dang hot in the Caribbean and due to health conditions, it isn't an option for my mom or I. She actually has a Drs note saying it's contraindicated and I suppose I could get one too, but if it's going to be more of a hassle having to explain it every time a crew member or passenger says something, then it's honestly not worth that kind of stress.

• Like 3

I have finally solved the dilemma. If face masks are required on the ship at all times, I have found the solution...

I will constantly drink and eat alllll throughout the cruise. :classic_laugh:

But I have to admit, I can drink more than I can eat. 🍹

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Joe817 said:

I have finally solved the dilemma. If face masks are required on the ship at all times, I have found the solution...

I don't have a problem walking around with a drink in my hand. 😀

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Joe817 said:

They know your tricks, Joe, and they'll be issuing masks accordingly.

il_1588xN.2371228623_fuwf.jpg

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

They know your tricks, Joe, and they'll be issuing masks accordingly.

il_1588xN.2371228623_fuwf.jpg

Well, there you go. She's sipping on her beer with a straw! I wonder if it's one of those sugar straws? :classic_laugh:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Joe817 said:

Well, there you go. She's sipping on her beer with a straw! I wonder if it's one of those sugar straws? :classic_laugh:

....and just like that....straws are ok again.🤪

• Like 1

United airlines will keep internal list of travelers refusing to wear masks. 

United says passengers who don't wear masks will be put on 'internal travel restriction list'

fox10phoenix.com/news/united-says-passengers-who-dont-wear-masks-will-be-put-on-internal-travel-restriction-list

Will carnival enforce it with more at risk?

Edited by geckoaz
  • Like 1

I think businesses have the right to require masks.  People have the choice to enter that business and accept their requirements or not enter the business.  I have no issue with wearing a mask on a flight.  If Carnival requires wearing them on their ship, I sure hope I will be given the option to move my September cruise to a later time without penalty.

Wearing a mask while on the ship will be a miserable experience for me.  Flights are only for a few hours, so that is tolerable.  But wearing one in the hot sun on a ship is not a vacation to me.  If they require it, then they should give people the option to move their cruise to a later time.  I am glad I booked a balcony.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 5

We will wait until the first batch of cruisers come back and give their opinions/observations. We will also wait 14 days after their return to see if there are any upticks in positive cases and/ or Covid related deaths. If all is good, we will then think about rebooking our cancelled cruises.