Face masks Onboard?? Yes or No --- merged thread

geckoaz

3 hours ago, skridge said:

This is all a bunch of projection, but walk with me down this path.  These boards have shown as a fact that a large number of people ready to step on a cruise ship today are also totally against mask wearing.   Let's say that under your assumption that the crew is actually going to report the people probably by the hundreds refusing to wear masks.  Do the brigs on the ship have the capacity to hold a hundred people?  Let's say the first stop is Ocho Rios Jamaica.  When you dump a hundred non mask wearers on the dock in Ocho Rios do you think they are going to go quietly.  Do you think there will not be a huge social media and media bonanza.  Is this a good look for Carnival?  I know a lot of people on these boards are open up the ships at all cost and don't live in fear people, and that's fine.  My opinion is that the people in the big meetings at Carnival HQ are going to take a more measured approach than the keyboard commandos on Cruise Critic.  Again this is just my opinion.  I don't see this as doom and gloom I see it as a realistic portrayal in the current circumstances. 

Hi

Sorry, if you don't understand, I can't help you. 

At the same time, if it plays out even close to what you are suggesting, then you should book a cruise sooner than later, because there won't be an industry for long if there are issues on board. Of course this is projection and only my opinion, and I have been wrong at least once before. 😃

On 5/20/2020 at 12:08 AM, ObstructedView2 said:

20200520-010539.jpg

😷

Two things:

1) I refuse to live in fear of this virus.

2) Fearmongers on the internet (and in the real world) aren't going to change that. Cute meme though.

On 5/20/2020 at 8:28 AM, skridge said:

I would not wear a mask on a ship, because I would not cruise during the time of corona virus.  I look forward to cruising again when it is safe.

You call people entitled and unrealistic just because they don't want to wear masks on a cruise, but you refuse to take a cruise during this time. 🙄 So how do they affect you?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Organized Chaos said:

Two things:

1) I refuse to live in fear of this virus.

2) Fearmongers on the internet (and in the real world) aren't going to change that. Cute meme though.

You call people entitled and unrealistic just because they don't want to wear masks on a cruise, but you refuse to take a cruise during this time. 🙄 So how do they affect you?

If a bunch more people get sick and end up in the hospital where my wife works and she gets sick it effects me very much.. Thanks for asking.

My family loves to cruise. We were bitten by the Cruise Bug many years ago. When we do start cruising again I plan to cruise as safely as possible. Whatever the CDC, US Government and the Cruise Lines mandate; So It Shall Be!

The most important two things that we can all do during this pandemic is:

Trust God and Pray!!!  

• Like 2

As mentioned before, I am Autistic. Clothes are always uncomfortable for me, but I sill wear them. Flashing lights can trigger seizures. I have literally fallen on my butt from a sudden loudspeaker message. I often have to quickly leave an area of a ship because of the ridiculous ammounts of artificial fragrances some are so fond of. Sensory issues can be devastating, Sometimes, because of the crowding, I will spend the rest of my day chilling on the balcony, the rush to the elevators terrifies me, so I almost always use the stairs. There are many other things i have to do to "workaround", not just on a cruise but everywhere. And with all of that, I doubt anyone loves going on a cruise more than I do. I cannot understand the big deal about a mask. Some of you people are too delicate and need to toughen up.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I think that first Disney Springs and now Universal Orlando is requiring all guests to wear masks as they reopen is a good indicator of what will likely be required when cruise lines resume operations. 

I'm not familiar with Disney Springs, but I can't imagine walking around Universal Orlando in the heat and humid, gasping for air under a mask.  

• Like 4

On 5/20/2020 at 3:45 PM, dandeck said:

Wife & I have been on 60+ cruises.  We love them!  If it is necessary to wear masks, there is simply no way we would even think about going.  Currently have four weeks of B2B scheduled in Jan - Feb.  If there is not a cure or vaccine in place by then, no way we will be sailing.  Hate to be a downer, but without a cure or vaccine there is no way to avoid contagion on a ship.  Another outbreak on a ship, any ship, and the bottom will fall out immediately for all lines.  Therefore, I feel certain a cure will be forthcoming very soon.  The industry cannot survive without it.     

Good for you, stay safe, a mask is mitigation but if there are carriers on the ship, others most certainly will get sick see only the example of Diamond, Grand and Zaandaam, as examples.   

As to vaccine/cure, not likely to be widely available by January.   

42 minutes ago, Roz said:

I'm not familiar with Disney Springs, but I can't imagine walking around Universal Orlando in the heat and humid, gasping for air under a mask.  

I used to walk around Shanghai and Beijing in the middle of humid summer with mask when the air quality was over 250 PM2.5.   Yeah it's hot, but it is your life, be safe, seems silly to be complaining about something that keeps you safe

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/21/2020 at 6:30 PM, skridge said:

Some motorcycle riders will fight tooth and nail to be able to ride without a helmet.  That is dumber than not washing your hands on a cruise ship right now.  I am guessing some of the people that accuse me of doom and gloom on these boards might be against helmet laws also.

Don't get me wrong the reason I declined the hand sanitizer  in the dining room is more about my desire not to get that stuff into my blood stream.  I already washed, and will most certainly use my utensils to shovel all that food into my mouth 🙂

There is some irony in the washing as a few minutes later you are handed a menu by the junior waiter, that menu for the most part was likely not cleaned and used by how many others?   Pretty much there is a myth that sitdown isn't just like a buffet when you consider your waiter etc. 

I wear safety glasses, closed toe shoes and other PPE always.  Also wash with soap and water after the restroom 😉

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

I used to walk around Shanghai and Beijing in the middle of humid summer with mask when the air quality was over 250 PM2.5.   Yeah it's hot, but it is your life, be safe, seems silly to be complaining about something that keeps you safe

I'm glad you're able to do that, I can't.  And I'm not a silly person.  I just find it unbearably suffocating, and everything I'd read about exercise says it's important to breathe properly.  

What you're saying contradicts the latest information that says a mask doesn't protect us, it protects us from other people.  So see, there is a lot of contradictory advice out there.

I'm 67 with a heart condition, and I'm at the point where I just want to get out there and live and what happens, happens.  I can't imagine living the rest of my life in my house cowering in fear, or wearing a suffocating mask.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Roz said:

I'm glad you're able to do that, I can't.  And I'm not a silly person.  I just find it unbearably suffocating, and everything I'd read about exercise says it's important to breathe properly.  

What you're saying contradicts the latest information that says a mask doesn't protect us, it protects us from other people.  So see, there is a lot of contradictory advice out there.

I'm 67 with a heart condition, and I'm at the point where I just want to get out there and live and what happens, happens.  I can't imagine living the rest of my life in my house cowering in fear, or wearing a suffocating mask.

You sound high risk, better stay at home then till this thing blows over.

Or you can be a risk taker, but to do so without care for those around you is selfish and irresponsible in this time of Pandemic, that wouldn't be an argument I'd have with anyone in the Far East, they just culturally seem to care more about the larger community good and willing to make those sacrifices.

A good read:  https://www.vox.com/2020/5/18/21262273/coronavirus-hong-kong-masks-deaths-new-york

Edited by chipmaster

I AM high risk, and am working from home.  I only go to stores for necessities, and wear a mask when I do.  I do exercise (walk) and don't wear a mask, but there's hardly anyone around and we keep our distance.

• Like 3

On 5/20/2020 at 5:51 PM, TNcruising02 said:

The military is developing a test that can detect the virus in people who contracted it within the last 24 hours.  So, if something like this could be available and easily administered at the time cruising begins, they might be able to test passengers before boarding.  A lot can happen in three months.

Who is paying for these tests? It's a lot cheaper for the CDC to extend the ban on cruising.

Question: Do you think the cruise lines would be willing to shell out money to test every passenger prior to boarding?

45 minutes ago, Keys2Heaven said:

Who is paying for these tests? It's a lot cheaper for the CDC to extend the ban on cruising.

Question: Do you think the cruise lines would be willing to shell out money to test every passenger prior to boarding?

Tests for pax are very unlikely at least initially.  I see common sense being:

•initially reduced bookings (NOT based on specific rooms eg interior eliminated but just to keep social activities manageable)
•Temperature test EVERYONE remotely every time you enter/leave ship

•Yes-masks also required at embarkation, port stops & debarkation.  It’s always crowded & there is only so much the cruise line can do to stagger.  No other mask requirements for pax.

•Main dining room, open dining and specialty restaurants managed booking and queues to reduced capacity (say 4-5 per table unless same booking).  Buffet/open dining as alluded above managed on line spacing and open seating with staff controlling queues.   Same for shows.  Same for lounge chairs.  Same for pools.  Same for activities.  App reservations for everything possible.

•Staff must be tested daily.  Masks for them at all times.  Encourage self-reporting symptoms without repercussions.  Reduce room service as

necessary (I can re-use my bath towel).

There is 10% that will cruise even knowing they will become ill.  There is 10% that will not cruise now under any circumstance.  Make a clearly defined & manageable process so that everyone in between trusts the safety and can still

have fun.

6 minutes ago, TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail said:

Tests for pax are very unlikely at least initially.  I see common sense being:

•initially reduced bookings (NOT based on specific rooms eg interior eliminated but just to keep social activities manageable)
•Temperature test EVERYONE remotely every time you enter/leave ship

•Yes-masks also required at embarkation, port stops & debarkation.  It’s always crowded & there is only so much the cruise line can do to stagger.  No other mask requirements for pax.

•Main dining room, open dining and specialty restaurants managed booking and queues to reduced capacity (say 4-5 per table unless same booking).  Buffet/open dining as alluded above managed on line spacing and open seating with staff controlling queues.   Same for shows.  Same for lounge chairs.  Same for pools.  Same for activities.  App reservations for everything possible.

•Staff must be tested daily.  Masks for them at all times.  Encourage self-reporting symptoms without repercussions.  Reduce room service as

necessary (I can re-use my bath towel).

There is 10% that will cruise even knowing they will become ill.  There is 10% that will not cruise now under any circumstance.  Make a clearly defined & manageable process so that everyone in between trusts the safety and can still

have fun.

Sounds reasonable.    I would even go as far as saying i dont need my room cleaned at all during my cruise.   We can leave towels outside our door and have new ones left there for us to bring in.    We dont need a full cleaning, we know how to make our beds and clean up after ourselves.   Although i love the towel animals, i can forego them for the time being.

I wont wear a mask around the cruise ship.   If they are required to board and leave the ship, we will do that.    Otherwise we are usually distanced from others on our cruises.    I enjoy sitting on my balcony or on a deck chair away from the crowds. 

Regarding the testing on and off the ship; What do you do when passengers are returning from the Beach and the outside temperature was 95 degrees? Would/Could they register higher than normal? Would you not allow them to renter the ship at that point?  

• Like 1

On 5/9/2020 at 4:59 PM, CarolSW said:

And I know people make fun of those of us wearing a mask while driving our car, but I do it so I don’t forget to put it on when I get to where I’m going.  I’ve got a lot going on in my mind during this time yikes!

Not to mention that it is easier to properly tie it on and make sure it is on correctly in front of your home mirror. I actually don't do that, though. I put it on right before leaving my car, but if I have multiple stops I'm making I'll leave it on between errands in the car. I don't have a sink to wash my hands in there, and I don't want to keep fiddling with my mask and touching my face multiple times during a trip. No thanks. Easier to just put it on once, so that when I'm done I can toss it straight into my washing machine when I get home.

• Thanks 1