Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
paulgraff

Just MHO but Carnival done for the year.

Recommended Posts

Just my opinion but CCL is done for the year...

 

Read this article: https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/april-29-massive-crew-repatriation-carnival-bahamas-paradise-lends-computing-power-virus

 

They are not sending 10,000 people home, at this expense, just to bring them back in a month or two.

 

Sorry but there will be no summer cruising on CCL and I think it will be a long time to come back to normal.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome.....another new topic on the same thing.

 

Anyway....many of those crew are at or will be at the end of their contracts anyway.  It has to be done.  Their replacements are ready to go when the time comes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My ta disagrees with you. He thinks by late fall.

 

Today Galveston is opening at 25%. Just try and think back how much has happened in the last 3 months and how much progress we can make in another 3 to 4 months. But I'll take your opinion for what I paid for it. We all are entitled to our opinions. I'd bet by November but no one knows. 

 

Yawn just more fear. So much out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

 

2wheelin - Excellent post.
      Don't let the bad guys get you down. The attitudes get more churlish as the weeks go on, their predictions collapse and their arguments fail. 
      https://www.yahoo.com/news/carnival-ceo-no-idea-cruises-201930591.html   - More indication that an imminent restart is purely a pipe dream. 

Actually I dont see one post on this thread saying cruises will start immediately.. none.

 

I do see the op making a prediction cruises wouldnt start for the rest of the year. No one knows, not even the op. Just his fear talking. OP doesnt know if the ceo doesnt know. 

 

Yes I grabbed a $165 rate in june. Decided might as well join in getting that $600 obc if everyone else was getting it. Didnt think it had a chance of going or I wouldn't have booked it. Picked the closest in date on purpose so it had the least chance of going. Like a game of duck duck goose. Ever play that game? Someone will not get cancelled and either have to cancel under cruise with confidence or go. As long as they are booked before sept 1st they can always cancel with no penalty. After that I'd be more careful.

 

These threads are just opinions. Posting his opinion is excellent doesnt make him more or less correct than another opinion.

 

Let's see what a month open will bring to texas and talk in a month. Maybe we will have a better idea, right now it's all blue sky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point we are in a wait and see mode. I have sadly been predicting a very negative outcome for the cruise industry. I hope I am wrong since my is ready to go cruising (when it is safe.)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Actually I dont see one post on this thread saying cruises will start immediately.. none.

 

I do see the op making a prediction cruises wouldnt start for the rest of the year. No one knows, not even the op. Just his fear talking. OP doesnt know if the ceo doesnt know. 

 

Yes I grabbed a $165 rate in june. Decided might as well join in getting that $600 obc if everyone else was getting it. Didnt think it had a chance of going or I wouldn't have booked it. Picked the closest in date on purpose so it had the least chance of going. Like a game of duck duck goose. Ever play that game? Someone will not get cancelled and either have to cancel under cruise with confidence or go. As long as they are booked before sept 1st they can always cancel with no penalty. After that I'd be more careful.

 

These threads are just opinions. Posting his opinion is excellent doesnt make him more or less correct than another opinion.

 

Let's see what a month open will bring to texas and talk in a month. Maybe we will have a better idea, right now it's all blue sky.

 

The CC "optimists" have been making those predictions on various threads since late March. But you probably knew that already.
 

And fact-based opinions are far more useful than the ... ah ... others. Perhaps you knew that already, too.  😉

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone who has money tied up in Carnival will lose every penny when Carnival files for bankruptcy and that is what will happen if they are unable to sail this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, ibarrio said:

Everyone who has money tied up in Carnival will lose every penny when Carnival files for bankruptcy and that is what will happen if they are unable to sail this year. 

 

I don't think they will file for bankruptcy, but they won't be the same for a long time... don't look for any new ships unless it is already in production, look for smaller older ships to be sold, and CCL will overall become a much smaller company for the near future. Just like 911 changed our security forever, so will this.

 

Also cruising will not be as popular, even on this site there is a poll where almost 25% of people said they would cruise less or not at all.

 

God I hope I am wrong cause I love cruising, I have about 30 under my belt and looking forward to many more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they may have quietly retained enough crew to man one or two ships that will be doing short cruises to private islands, to see how their new procedures will work and fine tune them before the rest of the fleet starts sailing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, paulgraff said:

 

I don't think they will file for bankruptcy, but they won't be the same for a long time... don't look for any new ships unless it is already in production, look for smaller older ships to be sold, and CCL will overall become a much smaller company for the near future. Just like 911 changed our security forever, so will this.

 

Also cruising will not be as popular, even on this site there is a poll where almost 25% of people said they would cruise less or not at all.

 

God I hope I am wrong cause I love cruising, I have about 30 under my belt and looking forward to many more.

They will have to sell off assets but will there be anyone to buy? CNN reported they are burning 500 million per month right now. At that rate they will go BK sooner than later. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, paulgraff said:

Just my opinion but CCL is done for the year...

 

Read this article: https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/april-29-massive-crew-repatriation-carnival-bahamas-paradise-lends-computing-power-virus

 

They are not sending 10,000 people home, at this expense, just to bring them back in a month or two.

 

Sorry but there will be no summer cruising on CCL and I think it will be a long time to come back to normal.

 

 


The people going home aren’t necessarily the ones that would be coming back. They have other crew members who have been home that are ready to come back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No politics in this thread. Absolutely none. 🤥

 

Considering Carnival put most ships up as collateral, it is unlikely they have the ability to dispose of them.

 

Carnival will sail whenever people are ready to sail. I would think later this year. Much depends on how people on land (mis)behave. I fully expect wave(s) of the virus and for land and sea to open and close and repeat for a few cycles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I think they may have quietly retained enough crew to man one or two ships that will be doing short cruises to private islands, to see how their new procedures will work and fine tune them before the rest of the fleet starts sailing.

I have been wondering if this would be a possibility. I would be ok with this for my July cruise as I just need to relax and get away! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have our 26th cruise booked for October 3rd on the Horizon. I have 2 payments left to make on it. We are crossing our fingers and hoping that we will be sailing. It's my belief that it isn't whether or not Carnival will be ready to sail. It's whether or not the islands and ports of call are ready for us! You have to admit that some of these countries don't have the capability of solving the virus problem and will need assistance from those that do. And that won't happen until the USA has taken care of its citizens first.

 

Let's hope and pray that a vaccine will be developed and given to all of us, and those in other countries, so that we can set sail again soon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the Freedom cancels in October, we'll use the FCC on something like an Alaskan cruise down the road. I'm still paying on one of my cruises and will continue as if nothing is happening. If the future comes out differently, I'll figure it out then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ibarrio said:

Everyone who has money tied up in Carnival will lose every penny when Carnival files for bankruptcy and that is what will happen if they are unable to sail this year. 

 

Carnival has cash to remain shutdown for a year and still has unexplored options. They will be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, paulgraff said:

Just my opinion but CCL is done for the year...

 

Read this article: https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/april-29-massive-crew-repatriation-carnival-bahamas-paradise-lends-computing-power-virus

 

They are not sending 10,000 people home, at this expense, just to bring them back in a month or two.

 

Sorry but there will be no summer cruising on CCL and I think it will be a long time to come back to normal.

 

 

 

As they dig more and more the dirt is piling up, agree 2021 at the earliest:  https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/cruise-ships-set-sail-knowing-the-deadly-risk-to-passengers-and-crew/ar-BB13tPcs

 

Edited by chipmaster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, paulgraff said:

Just my opinion but CCL is done for the year...

 

Read this article: https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/april-29-massive-crew-repatriation-carnival-bahamas-paradise-lends-computing-power-virus

 

They are not sending 10,000 people home, at this expense, just to bring them back in a month or two.

 

Sorry but there will be no summer cruising on CCL and I think it will be a long time to come back to normal.

 

 


You are being optimistic if you follow Traveling With Bruce. He posted a video earlier today saying he doesn’t think cruising from US ports will resume until 2022. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:


You are being optimistic if you follow Traveling With Bruce. He posted a video earlier today saying he doesn’t think cruising from US ports will resume until 2022. 

 

Who? He is entitled to his opinion, but I doubt he controls when cruising begins again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Posting his opinion is excellent doesnt make him more or less correct than another opinion.

You're right. It makes him boring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

John Heald addressed this in his morning video today and he actually names this site in particular as sources not to listen to. He said there are crews ready to start immediately, the ones who are going home to their families would have been done anyway. He said the reason they are not allowing new July bookings is so they have enough staff to crew ratio. Since they will be with a reduced crew, this makes total sense. And I agree with one of the above posts, if they don't cruise this year they will not survive and as a shareholder id hate to see that happen to but I don't know how any major industry could survive that long without operating. Right now, nobody knows anything  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...