Just got this email

mrsihopes

Dear 
Member number: 

We know you’re waiting for your refund and may be frustrated by how long it’s taking. We hear you and are doing everything in our power to get it to you as soon as possible. Rest assured we’ve received your request, and it’s in our queue.

We ask for your continued patience in affording us the time to work through the refunds properly. Because we are not able to use our usual automated process, our team is manually handling a large volume of requests while working from home. We want to try to make sure each and every guest's booking is handled accurately, and as efficiently as possible and this is taking more time.

As always, we thank you for your understanding and hope you and your loved ones are staying healthy and safe during this difficult time.

This is the first thing I have received from them since I received my confirmation for my request for refund on March 12th for our April 11th cruise.    Doesn't say much as to how much longer we have to wait though............ 😞

Edited by mrsihopes

It's not unreasonable to believe that some of the more sensitive IT/accounting systems are not available outside the core network, even over VPN. They could probably make configuration changes to accommodate that sort of access, but I imagine that might put customer information at increased risk for a data breach, which would obviously be unacceptable and only add to the frustrations of everyone involved; Princes and customers.

Not only is your refund delayed, but now your credit card info is stolen, too. We don't want that.

• Like 1

One of my 2 cruises canceled by Princess was 3/22. The other would have been 6/6. I have received nothing for either cruise since the email from them indicating they received my request for refund (not even the email referred to by the OP). They did take the time to make sure the 3/22 cruise I was originally to take was removed from my cruise history - it had originally been posted as completed. So, apparently they have time to do this, but not to refund any of the moneys paid to them for a cruise that did not occur almost 6 weeks ago. If nothing else I and all others should have received refunds of their port charges and taxes since there was never any question that those charges would be a straight refund.

As far as the option 1/2 COVID cancellations are concerned, 6/6 sailings are still on, aren't they? I'm scheduled to be on the Caribbean for 6/6 and, as far as all the communications I've received are (which are sorely lacking compared to some of the updates other people here have gotten) indicating that it's still scheduled... though personally, I hope I can get out of it.

16 minutes ago, Cuedon said:

As far as the option 1/2 COVID cancellations are concerned, 6/6 sailings are still on, aren't they? I'm scheduled to be on the Caribbean for 6/6 and, as far as all the communications I've received are (which are sorely lacking compared to some of the updates other people here have gotten) indicating that it's still scheduled... though personally, I hope I can get out of it.

No cruises through June 30th. So if yu are sailing June 6th, then no it is cancelled!

They are trying to hold on to our money as long as possible to cover all possible expenses connected with the salaries of the crew, taxes and dock fines. If the contract says that they can hold on to it up to 120 days, they will keep it for 120 days since first date of your refund appeal. This is how it works at the moment 

8 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

They are trying to hold on to our money as long as possible to cover all possible expenses connected with the salaries of the crew, taxes and dock fines. If the contract says that they can hold on to it up to 120 days, they will keep it for 120 days since first date of your refund appeal. This is how it works at the moment 

Interesting, how do you know this information 

I spoke to my travel agent today.  Here's a different perspective.  The reason the refunds/fcc are delayed is because (if option 1/hold my money):

1.  Like the email stated, it is being handled one at a time rather than automated.

2.  Not only do they have to look at cruise fare, but deposits, obc, gifts, gift cards, etc.  

3.  Some moneys need to be returned to credit cards, some will go to fcc on your account.

I did not know that it was being handled at "home" rather than the office.  That adds another dimension to the problem (security/privacy).

My question to Princess is:  What about the other perks?  I was gifted a coffee card.  I had the three for free (will that be honored on the next booking).  Other promotions?  

To me, this is a logistical nightmare.  I am fine with Princess taking their time to do this right.  I will cruise again.  I thank Princess for the generous cancellation offer.  And patience is not one of my virtues.  

I'm situation is different again. My mid April cruise cancelled by Princess 29 February booked through a t/a. Cruise refund was back to t/a in about 4 weeks but was advised my EZAir and out of pocket costs which we could claim for would be sent by cheque. Nine weeks later, nothing yet. 

Received same email this morning, relating to March cruise.

When we cancelled July Alaska cruise, FCD (what we used to secure cruise, not FCC) was back showing in Personaliser within two days.  Our travel agent is working from home and was able to cancel and return FCD . 

It seems it is different with Princess issued FCC and credit card refunds.

It seems strange that travel agents can access Princess computers, from home, to arrange refunds, yet their own staff are unable to do so.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Roger88 said:

Agree.....it is a pure stalling tactic and they have no intention of refunding people's money at this time or in the foreseeable future.  Lies, lies and more lies.....the goal posts keep moving and Princess is unbelievable at this point.  

All other travel companies we have dealt with during COVID-19 have returned monies and in a very timely manner.

Princess is playing a charade leading up to a possible bankruptcy reorganization and then not having to pay owed monies to passengers.

PrincessLuver;  what charade is this company playing?  I read they offered FCC which is good for up to two years or cash. If you opted for cash you have to wait 120 days.  Since they didn't cancel their cruises until Mar; that would put them well into Jun before the 120 days is up.  Can you explain what Princess had done wrong in a legal sense?  Thanks

11 hours ago, Cuedon said:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5206/

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

PrincessLuver;  what charade is this company playing?  I read they offered FCC which is good for up to two years or cash. If you opted for cash you have to wait 120 days.  Since they didn't cancel their cruises until Mar; that would put them well into Jun before the 120 days is up.  Can you explain what Princess had done wrong in a legal sense?  Thanks

FCC are worthless, if there is no cruise line, and a stall.  I know you are a Princess cheerleader and I respect that.  

But if you write Customer Relations, like I did today,  you get an auto response stating that their Finance Department will refund within 60 days.  I do not know where you get the 120 days.  

"Hello and thank you for your email to the Princess Cruises Customer Relations Department.

Due to the current unprecedented and evolving worldwide situation, we are experiencing a

higher than normal volume.

Please accept this response as an acknowledgement and confirmation that your email has

been received. It will be reviewed and responded to in the order in which it was received.

Please note that we are unable to process postal communications at this time.

For those inquiring about voyage refunds, please allow up to 60 days for our Finance

department to complete the processing. We are committed to providing our guests with the

highest level of service.

We appreciate your patience and look forward to serving you in the near future."

They do not have the money to refund and are not going to do it no matter how many emails they send out.  I will bet on that but I am also going to loose a lot of money to them.  There have been plenty of big travel companies that have gone under and left their customer's high and dry.  Princess is not playing fair no matter how people try to defend them.  

The cash  “burn rate” during this shut down has been estimated at one BILLION dollars per month for Carnival Corp. I think their burning through about another billion of good will each month also.

2 hours ago, awhcruiser said:

Yup, that's why I would not expect to see a significant number of refunds until they are closer to resuming operations.  The bottom line is that they need the cash flow from the new bookings.  It will be a slow and difficult process, but I am hopeful that Princess will make it through this crisis, and we are able to use our refund and FCC for a cruise next winter 🙂

3 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Ride-The-Waves,  did you get a refund or did you accept FCC?  You mention "those of us with bookings".  

Nothing yet.  They first offered FCC for a similar cruise in 2021.  Then CDC and CLIA both promulgated the "chronic" doctrine.  I have Afib and now high blood pressure, both well controlled.  This is now is a show stopper along with a high blood sugar level.  If I can't meet cruising criteria today, surely won't next year or later.  FCC is useless.  So now they are refusing any information.  "Only" have about $20K tied up.  Not a happy camper/cruiser.

9 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I spoke to my travel agent today.  Here's a different perspective.  The reason the refunds/fcc are delayed is because (if option 1/hold my money):

1.  Like the email stated, it is being handled one at a time rather than automated.

2.  Not only do they have to look at cruise fare, but deposits, obc, gifts, gift cards, etc.  

3.  Some moneys need to be returned to credit cards, some will go to fcc on your account.

I did not know that it was being handled at "home" rather than the office.  That adds another dimension to the problem (security/privacy).

My question to Princess is:  What about the other perks?  I was gifted a coffee card.  I had the three for free (will that be honored on the next booking).  Other promotions?  

To me, this is a logistical nightmare.  I am fine with Princess taking their time to do this right.  I will cruise again.  I thank Princess for the generous cancellation offer.  And patience is not one of my virtues.  

These are the same arguments that have been made continually on these threads for the past month.  Princess literally said in their initial 'please bear with us' message that people were working from home to process refunds.  And it's a total bunch of baloney that it's taking so long because of the 'logistical nightmare' of calculating complicated refunds -- not everyone is waiting on refunds from the Covid-19 cancelled voyages -- there are plenty of people waiting on simple deposit refunds and for other pre-purchased items.  Those refunds should be simple and take no more than a couple days -- not 60+.

Edited by Paula_MacFan
  • Like 2