SS Future Re-Open Plan: Timing, Testing Needs??!!

TLCOhio

1 hour ago, TLCOhio said:

Good and serious policy questions as to the safety and security of OUR advanced payments made for future travel.  

That was the one question I did ask when booking our 2022 cruises  "Can we cancel for a monetary refund",  I was assured that we could losing only $200 per booking which would be transferred to a FCC. I will gamble $400.00 not $5000.00.

Joseph

20 hours ago, rucrazy said:

That was the one question I did ask when booking our 2022 cruises  "Can we cancel for a monetary refund",  I was assured that we could losing only $200 per booking which would be transferred to a FCC. I will gamble $400.00 not $5000.00.  Joseph

Agree above with the wise comment and follow-up from Joseph.  "Managing risk" is a key priority for ALL of us, especially right now.  "Gambling" with a small amount of money might be OK, maybe, but not with $5K, $10K,  $20K, etc.??!!

From the below trade publication two days ago, they had this headline: “Why more cruise passengers are choosing refunds over credits with these highlights: “Whenever cruise lines have discussed their quarterly earnings with Wall Street analyst this year, they have disclosed a number that before 2020 did not exist: the percentage of guests opting for a cruise refund versus a future cruise credit (FCC).  And since the beginning of the global cruise shutdown in March, that number has slowly but consistently shifted in favor of refunds.  Carnival said on May 14, 60% of passengers on canceled cruises had taken FCCs while the rest requested refunds; as of Sept. 20, the number opting for FCCs was 45%. Royal Caribbean Group said in May that 55% of passengers took an FCC; it said this month that slightly more booked passengers have opted for a full refund (50%).   And Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings said May 15 that slightly more than half its passengers had opted for a refund; it said Aug. 3 that approximately 60% of guests had requested refunds.  There are many possible reasons for this shift, but travel advisors point to at least two.  The first is simply that far fewer people have fully-paid cruises on the books anymore, as opposed to when cruises suddenly stopped sailing in March and cruise lines had to cancel thousands of sailings.  Also a factor, some advisors say, is that as the pause in cruising has continued to extend, and the Covid-19 pandemic is not ebbing, the continued cancellation of cruises and overall uncertainty around a restart is making people less likely to choose an FCC.”

From USA Today this morning, they had this headline: “ 'Violated protocols': Cruiser on Carnival Corp. ship blocked from boarding over COVID-19 rules” with these highlights: “A passenger traveling on AIDA Cruises' AIDAblu was not allowed to reembark after disobeying cruise line protocol on an excursion — a consequence that is to be implemented when cruising returns stateside, too, for passengers who don't follow new restrictions.  On Tuesday, during a shoreside excursion that was organized by the Carnival Corp. subsidiary in Catania, Italy, a passenger left his group, which violates the cruise line's rules for 'protection and mitigation against COVID-19.'  AIDAblu departed from Civitavecchia, Italy, on Saturday for the line's first sailing since the pandemic began.  'Our highest responsibility and top priorities are compliance, environmental protection and the health, safety and well-being of our guests, crew, shoreside employees, and the people and communities our ships visit,' AIDA said in a statement provided by Carnival Corp. spokesperson Roger Frizzell. 'Therefore, the guest was refused further travel on board AIDAblu. AIDA Cruises supported the guest in organizing his trip home.'  ”

Full stories at:

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Insights/Two-reasons-FCCs-dropping

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/10/22/cruise-passenger-violates-covid-19-rules-denied-boarding-carnival-corp-ship/3725199001/

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 88,820 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

From Barron's, the sister publication of the Wall Street Journal this morning, they had this headline: Don’t Expect Cruise Ship Sailings to Resume This Year, Analysts Say” with these highlights: “U.S. cruise line sailings likely won’t resume until March, despite the projections of some in the industry, according to Macquarie Research. Analysts Paul Golding and Charles Yu cited the risk of a second Covid-19 wave, 'a fluid political climate, and balance sheet risk' in a note dated Oct. 21. Their revised forecast reflects 'a more bearish outlook expecting further sailing cancellations.'  Their view runs counter to a growing sense of optimism in the industry about resuming sailings in the U.S. in the near future. For example, the CEO of Carnival, Arnold Donald, told analysts on Oct. 8 that 'at this point, we have every reason to be optimistic that we will be sailing in the U.S. before the year-end.'  If the order expires on Oct. 31, it leaves open the possibility for cruise companies to begin sailing in the U.S. by the end of the year.  However, the Macquarie analysts observe that 'the shadow over US cruising now casts well over the winter with a March restart' of significance at the earliest."  

Here is more from their reporting/analysis:  "One worry is the growing number of Covid cases in the U.S.  In writing about a scenario in which U.S. sailings didn’t resume until March, the Macquarie analysts also cite 'the risk of a false restart (i.e. burning cash to bring back ships and crew just to get shut down again)' and 'the potential for a new administration,' referring to the coming presidential election.  It’s possible that if former Vice President Joe Biden is elected president, his administration would be tougher on the cruise industry.  Royal Caribbean has the highest proportion of its fleet booked for sailings scheduled before March, according to Macquarie, with 93% of its fleet booked, compared with 83% for Norwegian and 73% for Carnival.  Royal Caribbean, which declined to comment on the Macquarie research note, is expected to discuss its outlook in the next few weeks when it releases third-quarter earnings results.”

Is this background and speculation realistic?  Or, too pessimistic?

Full story at:

https://www.barrons.com/articles/dont-expect-cruise-ship-sailings-to-resume-this-year-analysts-say-51603376755?adobe_mc=MCMID%3D63471548750076989185250804279237370225|MCORGID%3DCB68E4BA55144CAA0A4C98A5%40AdobeOrg|TS%3D1603384821

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 67,519 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

• Thanks 1

I have 2022 cruised booked, a back to back from Buenos Aires to Ft. Lauderdale for which I had to put up $1000.  Since at this moment Manaus, where the cruise stops for 2 days, is the epicenter of the virus in Brazil. 

https://www.technologyreview.com/2020/09/22/1008709/brazil-manaus-covid-coronavirus-herd-immunity-pandemic/

Even projecting out to 2022, this cruise looks like its not going to happen. This was to be on the Silver Dawn for 37 days.  And this early booking provided a lot of incentives totaling about 20% off. So I will be out the $1000 but I could book it in the future if it happens.  It was a bet I lost.  No big deal.  But the thought of going a little way up the Amazon on the nearly new Dawn is still enticing.  Problem is it sounds like there might not be much of Manaus left.  

3 minutes ago, worldtraveller99 said:

If most people on the cruise chrism23 were able to be vaccinated during 2021, why wouldn't the cruise happen in 2022? Unless Manaus becomes a no go area, when they would change the itinerary?

Here is  hoping that happens. 

1 hour ago, TLCOhio said:

Is this background and speculation realistic?  Or, too pessimistic?

I’d say realistic.  The modeling I’m seeing through my wife’s and my professional resources really paint a still long and very difficult road ahead.   

• Like 2

16 hours ago, worldtraveller99 said:

If most people on the cruise chrism23 were able to be vaccinated during 2021, why wouldn't the cruise happen in 2022? Unless Manaus becomes a no go area, when they would change the itinerary?

Since visiting Manaus on an otherwise super South American cruise years ago it immediately became a never again Port of Call.Hope they change the itinerary and you enjoy a wonderful cruise.

3 hours ago, brimary said:

Since visiting Manaus on an otherwise super South American cruise years ago it immediately became a never again Port of Call.Hope they change the itinerary and you enjoy a wonderful cruise.

Isn’t that the only way to get passengers in and out of the Amazon?

I agree that touring in Manaus can be challenging, what with the heat and humidity and somewhat chaotic street life.  Nonetheless, the city itself has some fascinating buildings from the times of the rubber boom, not least the opera house.  And there are interesting tours up various tributaries departing from Manaus.

• Like 1

Well. The overnight Covid news out of Europe this morning could be better ...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/23/europe/europe-coronavirus-restrictions-wrap-intl-gbr/index.html

That, combined with another overnight figure of 70K+ new cases in the United States, tells me that we haven’t yet seen a reversal in the trend. In fact, it looks even more like the predictions of a coming surge were correct. Our three and seven day averages, here in South Florida have really trended upward once again.

RCL extended their deadline for “Lift & Shift” and use of “Future Cruise Credit”. I expect SS to do the same in the near future. The question I have is: “How far out to move planned cruises? Or, is it finally time to look at alternative vacations for a couple of years?” I have posted about this before, but I’d love to hear what other CC members are thinking.

Cheers, and stay safe.

Doc Ruth

Edited by docruth

58 minutes ago, docruth said:

“How far out to move planned cruises? Or, is it finally time to look at alternative vacations for a couple of years?”

@docruth We personally have no intentions of traveling until 2022 at the earliest...but to be clear our family has underlying conditions and are overly skeptical of current conditions and the plans for corrections moving forward , that said .. if by a miracle things change before 2022 we may indeed choose to book a couple of getaway adventures just to get outside again!

But that is our position as of today.

Joseph

• Like 1

1 hour ago, docruth said:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/23/europe/europe-coronavirus-restrictions-wrap-intl-gbr/index.html

That, combined with another overnight figure of 70K+ new cases in the United States, tells me that we haven’t yet seen a reversal in the trend. In fact, it looks even more like the predictions of a coming surge were correct. Our three and seven day averages, here in South Florida have really trended upward once again.

RCL extended their deadline for “Lift & Shift” and use of “Future Cruise Credit”. I expect SS to do the same in the near future. The question I have is: “How far out to move planned cruises? Or, is it finally time to look at alternative vacations for a couple of years?” I have posted about this before, but I’d love to hear what other CC members are thinking.

Cheers, and stay safe.

Doc Ruth

Hi, I saw that this morning.........and we here in the states are not doing well either☹️.........cases continue to rise.......

over 70,000 yesterday.......and more than 1,000 deaths.  This is just bad for all of us, especially now that fall/winter

is coming.

5 minutes ago, Lois R said:

and we here in the states are not doing well either☹️.........cases continue to rise.......

over 70,000 yesterday.......and more than 1,000 deaths. 

@Lois R and to all

Please try and Stay Safe .. Hunkerdown, wash your hands, Wear masks ... if we ALL act responsible we may just get through this.

Joseph

1 hour ago, Observer said:

I agree that touring in Manaus can be challenging, what with the heat and humidity and somewhat chaotic street life.  Nonetheless, the city itself has some fascinating buildings from the times of the rubber boom, not least the opera house.  And there are interesting tours up various tributaries departing from Manaus.

Regarding chrism23 and the interests for sailing on the amazing Amazon River, 2022 is a long, long way off.  That's especially true during these current periods of great uncertainty.  My current guess/prediction would be that things should be mostly back to "normal" by 2022.    

While I can understand some of the negative comments and follow-ups, regarding Manaus, our experiences during our two and a half days there were very fascinating and positive.  On my live/blog, below, you can read many more details and see a wide range of visuals.  As proof or "evidence", just four of my visuals are shared at the bottom.  We saw and experienced much in the city, plus in the nearby areas.  PLUS, we did an Indiana-Jones-style exploring/adventure in the Amazon rainforest about 60 miles north of Manaus.  Happy on that live/blog to answer any and all additional questions.  The Amazon is not for everyone and can be viewed as "different".  We, however, found it to be a unique area on a river that so massive and different than anything we have ever done in the world.

From the Wall Street Journal this morning, they had this headline from a company press release: “Royal Caribbean Group to hold conference call on business update and third quarter financial results with these highlights: “Royal Caribbean Group has scheduled a conference call for 10:00 a.m. Eastern Time, Thursday, October 29, 2020, to provide a business update and discuss third quarter 2020 financial results. The call will be available on-line at the company's investor relations website, www.rclinvestor.com. To listen to the call by phone, please dial (877) 663-9606 in the US and Canada. International phone calls should be made to (706) 758-4628. There is no passcode or meeting number.”

Next week should reveal much as to if and when for the CDC to allow an early December cruise sailing  re-opening.  PLUS, to learn more for the progress as to Royal Caribbean future bookings and their cash-flow positioning, etc.  

Full story at:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/royal-caribbean-group-to-hold-conference-call-on-business-update-and-third-quarter-financial-results-01603403584?tesla=y

OR:

www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/royal-caribbean-group-to-hold-conference-call-on-business-update-and-third-quarter-financial-results-301158374.html

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 67,519 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

One of the key highlights for Manaus is their historic Opera House that has been livingly restored.  Very unique and interesting to see this architecture star in the middle of a distant jungle area!!:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

TC1_4437.jpeg.273d894f22f4ca5b88142b69176a0b70.jpeg

TC1_4449.jpeg.0e22bc029ae9df794b1970ff99bad098.jpeg

For our "adventure" about 60 miles north of Manaus, here we were hiking in the rainforest in the style of "Indiana Jones".  Yes, a great and unique experience that we will never forget.  Second is inside of Manaus' fish market.  The markets and shops around in Manaus were fascinating!:

TC1_4789.jpeg.eeea96108183faf8ba06dddcc8b9c0bb.jpeg

TC1_4936.jpeg.b73c82e00b1f0673581794e9142a7678.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, docruth said:

That, combined with another overnight figure of 70K+ new cases in the United States, tells me that we haven’t yet seen a reversal in the trend. In fact, it looks even more like the predictions of a coming surge were correct. Our three and seven day averages, here in South Florida have really trended upward once again.  Doc Ruth

Appreciate this above news link and the other very good comments and follow-ups.  Keep up the great sharing, excellent questions, etc.  Much recently is not what many would view as "good news", but it does reflect the challenges facing many in the USA and around the world.  

From the below trade publication with in the past hour, they had this headline: “The Rule Change That Could Save Alaska’s 2021 Cruise Season with these highlights: “More than 1.3 million expected cruise ship passengers did not arrive in Alaska in 2020 due to the industry-wide shutdown that began in March and largely continues to this day. Don Young, the U.S. Representative for Alaska’s at-large congressional district since 1973, doesn’t want to see the situation repeated in 2021. But there’s an obstacle. Under 100-year-old U.S. legislation, large, foreign-flagged cruise ships departing from the West Coast of the U.S. — which is basically all of them — must stop at a Canadian port before sailing to Alaska.   The issue: Canada continues to enforce border closures with the U.S. and ban large cruise ships from its ports, and there’s no indication on when that will change. As a result, Rep. Young is seeking a way to ensure cruise ships can get to Alaska even if Canadian ports and border crossings remain shuttered.  One potential solution would require changes to the Jones Act, a frequently controversial set of rules created in June, 1920 to protect U.S. shipping from outside competition. A portion of the Jones Act specifically covers cruise ships and their passengers.  Young told The Alaska Journal that he is in discussions with airline and cruise industry representatives to find a way to enable tourists to travel into and out of the state if Canadian ports are still off-limits when the cruise season starts next spring. That would require a waiver of some Jones Act rules.”

Full story at:

https://cruiseradio.net/the-rule-change-that-could-save-alaskas-2021-cruise-season/

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 50,229 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

With you Terry.  We loved our 48 hours in Manaus!  I would not want to wander on my own but the things we were guided to see were amazing.  Our cruise on the Silver Cloud was a round trip from Barbados, so no Amazonian airport involved.  I would do it again in a flash!

Edited by 57 varieties
  • Like 1

Thanks Terry and all the responded to my mentions of Manaus.  I realize than Manaus is less than attractive to put it mildly.  I look upon it as a jumping off point to get further into the Amazon without committing to more of an "expedition adventure.  But most of all I want to see it because of its role in Fitzcarraldo, one of my favorite movies of all time.  I hugely recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it.  Directed by Werner Herzog it stars a totally over the top Klaus Kinski.  It also features a score by my favorite electronic band of all time-Popol Vuh.  I am sure the movie is lurking in the nether reaches of Amazon (ironic isn't that) or Netflix.  

On 10/23/2020 at 11:45 AM, Randyk47 said:

Interesting an article would quote the restrictions of the Jones Act when I think it’s really the Passenger Vessel Service Act (PVSA) of 1886.   

There is also the matter of ship crew work VISAS to consider.  If cruise ships only visit US ports without visiting another country CBP has been known to see that as a work VISA violation.  

Edited by twangster

On 10/23/2020 at 2:29 PM, 57 varieties said:

With you Terry.  We loved our 48 hours in Manaus!  I would not want to wander on my own but the things we were guided to see were amazing.  Our cruise on the Silver Cloud was a round trip from Barbados, so no Amazonian airport involved.  I would do it again in a flash!

Appreciate these follow-ups from Chris in Conn. and 57 varieties in London, these nice comments regarding Manaus.  As noted, we enjoyed that town, area and our time there. Our 2015 Silver Cloud cruise departed from Barbados and then returned there.  Then, we did nine more days on that ship doing the Dutch ABC's and other Caribbean islands.  Fun and interesting!!

From the financial website connected below yesterday, they had this headline: “Should You Wait to Buy Carnival Until a Coronavirus Vaccine Is Out? with this sub-head: "Life will get a lot better for cruise line stocks once we lick the pandemic, but it's not as if Carnival and its peers can party like its 2019 anytime soon."

Here are some added analysis highlights: “No one knows when cruise ships will be sailing out of U.S. ports again.  The pandemic changed everything, and by that logic, a coronavirus vaccine would find the industry setting sail in the right direction again. Let's go over why a viable vaccine is great, but not a solution to all that may be ailing Carnival stock as an investment.  The plan for now is to start sailing again in December, but we've been ripping out months of the calendar marking false restarts all year long. The CDC is still concerned about potential viral outbreaks. The pressure points are understandable given the role that cruise ships played in the early days of the COVID-19 stateside contagion. The average age of a cruise ship passenger is 47, according to the Cruise Lines International Association trade group, but the median will skew substantially older for most of the year when young families don't fill cabins during the summer and holiday school breaks. Cruise ships were the source of many early pandemic casualties largely because of the compact nature of the vessels, but also because of the many elderly passengers who are typically on late winter sailings. If cruise ships are allowed to start sailing in the next couple of months, it will probably be without an approved vaccine on the market.  The climate will naturally be kinder when a viable vaccine is in wide circulation. With ships sailing into various exotic ports, Carnival will naturally need to make sure that all passengers and crew members have been vaccinated. You don't want a passenger who has not been vaccinated incubate COVID-19 during a shore excursion, only to make matters worse after getting back home.”

Good questions as to how long in time vaccines will take to make a full impact for the various health and safety issues related to resuming cruise sailings.  

Full story at:

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/10/24/should-you-wait-to-buy-carnival-until-a-coronaviru/

Kotor/Montenegro:  Exciting visual samples, tips, details, etc., for this scenic, historic location. Over 47,905 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

12 hours ago, twangster said:

There is also the matter of ship crew work VISAS to consider.  If cruise ships only visit US ports without visiting another country CBP has been known to see that as a work VISA violation.  

Good points and questions from Randy and twangster about the Jones Act, the 1886 Federal legislation, visas, etc.  Many interesting legal issues and complications.  

From the Arizona Republic newspaper today and a Cruise Critic writer, they had this headline: Antarctica cruise season is almost here but will it still happen during COVID-19 pandemic?” with these highlights: “Even before COVID-19, sailing to Antarctica is not a journey to be undertaken lightly.Many expedition operators require participants to complete medical forms attesting to the mental and physical fitness of participants and obtain insurance with extensive air evacuation coverage. That's because once a ship makes a multi-day trek across the Drake,  medical assistance for advanced issues can simply be out of reach.And that has jeopardized -- or outright killed -- the 2020-2021 Antarctica season for most operators. What's in store for the upcoming 2020-2021 season?  The Antarctic cruise season typically begins in November and continues until late February or early March, during the Southern Hemisphere's summertime. With the start of the season just one month away, numerous lines have already cancelled or postponed their Antarctica voyages for the coming months.As of this writing, most operators that routinely offer expedition cruises to Antarctica, including Hurtigruten, Quark Expeditions, Seabourn, and Silversea, have all cancelled their 2020-2021 Antarctica sailings.  For those who still want to visit The Last Continent, there is good news: the future looks brighter for sailings departing in Fall 2021 and beyond. Some lines, like Quark Expeditions, have already announced their 2022 Antarctica sailing program, allowing cruisers to book adventures departing further down the road.”

Full story at:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/10/25/antarctica-cruises-they-still-happen-winter-amid-covid-19/3740334001/

Dubrovnik!  Nice visual samples, tips, details, etc., for this super scenic location. Over 47,522 views.    

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

30 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

Appreciate these follow-ups from Chris in Conn. and 57 varieties in London, these nice comments regarding Manaus.  As noted, we enjoyed that town, area and our time there. Our 2015 Silver Cloud cruise departed from Barbados and then returned there.  Then, we did nine more days on that ship doing the Dutch ABC's and other Caribbean islands.  Fun and interesting!!

From the financial website connected below yesterday, they had this headline: “Should You Wait to Buy Carnival Until a Coronavirus Vaccine Is Out? with this sub-head: "Life will get a lot better for cruise line stocks once we lick the pandemic, but it's not as if Carnival and its peers can party like its 2019 anytime soon."

Here are some added analysis highlights: “No one knows when cruise ships will be sailing out of U.S. ports again.  The pandemic changed everything, and by that logic, a coronavirus vaccine would find the industry setting sail in the right direction again. Let's go over why a viable vaccine is great, but not a solution to all that may be ailing Carnival stock as an investment.  The plan for now is to start sailing again in December, but we've been ripping out months of the calendar marking false restarts all year long. The CDC is still concerned about potential viral outbreaks. The pressure points are understandable given the role that cruise ships played in the early days of the COVID-19 stateside contagion. The average age of a cruise ship passenger is 47, according to the Cruise Lines International Association trade group, but the median will skew substantially older for most of the year when young families don't fill cabins during the summer and holiday school breaks. Cruise ships were the source of many early pandemic casualties largely because of the compact nature of the vessels, but also because of the many elderly passengers who are typically on late winter sailings. If cruise ships are allowed to start sailing in the next couple of months, it will probably be without an approved vaccine on the market.  The climate will naturally be kinder when a viable vaccine is in wide circulation. With ships sailing into various exotic ports, Carnival will naturally need to make sure that all passengers and crew members have been vaccinated. You don't want a passenger who has not been vaccinated incubate COVID-19 during a shore excursion, only to make matters worse after getting back home.”

Good questions as to how long in time vaccines will take to make a full impact for the various health and safety issues related to resuming cruise sailings.  

Full story at:

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/10/24/should-you-wait-to-buy-carnival-until-a-coronaviru/

Kotor/Montenegro:  Exciting visual samples, tips, details, etc., for this scenic, historic location. Over 47,905 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

all good thoughts Terry, always appreciate your posts and incite.  Personally I am not a buyer of cruise line stocks right now, I believe them to be too speculative for my tolerance.  I do, however, watch them closely, because if they survive to sail again, they could go up, way up, quickly.  IMHO, cruising won’t start up seriously until May or June of 2021, maybe even later.  Also I saw a YouTube clip of some of the ships at anchor, they are going to need some serious maintenance before they are ready to resume sailing.  That is the key, when the lines start to spruce up ships, you will know that sailing are around the corner.  Until then....  too risky for me!

• Thanks 1