SS Future Re-Open Plan: Timing, Testing Needs??!!

TLCOhio

Can we fly to Hvar to pick the lavender ourselves?

I’d be up for that. If it could be done without a quarantine. And when our airport opens. 

And no, I don’t think the surfactants in dryer sheets are the same as soap/detergents in their activity vis a vis the virus. Could be wrong, am not an industrial chemist. 

15 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

Can we fly to Hvar to pick the lavender ourselves?

I’d be up for that. If it could be done without a quarantine. And when our airport opens. 

And no, I don’t think the surfactants in dryer sheets are the same as soap/detergents in their activity vis a vis the virus. Could be wrong, am not an industrial chemist. 

I picked lavender in hvar. I am ready to go.

It's more amazing than French lavender.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

I picked lavender in hvar. I am ready to go.  It's more amazing than French lavender.

Did not realize that there was significant differences with French versus other lavender.  Thought they were all about the same??!!  For Spins, is the smell that much different and better?  Back to the main topic of timing when cruising can and will resume . . . SAFELY.     

From the Wall Street Journal/PR Newswire this morning, they had this headline: “Carnival Cruise Line Extends Operational Pause Through September 30 ” with this large cruise line saying today that they had advised guests and travel agents of their plans extend its "operational pause" in North America through Sept. 30, 2020.   Interesting, mysterious phrasing in calling this situation as an "operational pause"

"We have continued to assess the operating environment and confer with public health, government and industry officials," said Carnival Cruise Line President Christine Duffy.   Most of their release is rather vague, unclear and lacking any specifics.  BUT, in their defense, this whole challenging condition continues as like sailing in uncharted waters going in a direction where you are not specific about your destination.  Right or wrong??

Full story/media release at:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/PR-CO-20200622-905563

or 

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/carnival-cruise-line-extends-operational-pause-through-september-30-301080790.html

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Completed last summer Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Many visuals and details from our first in these scenic areas!  Live/blog at: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

2 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Welsh Lavender is definitely the best!

The "plot thickens" as to the debate for which location has the best lavender.  In the words of Sgt. Schultz of Hogan's Heroes, "I know nothing!".  Will encourage other "experts" to share their reasons and specifics as to why and how they back up their opinions.    

From the Miami Herald this morning, they had this headline: “Royal Caribbean joint venture Pullmantur cruise line files for reorganization”.   From other media sources, the word "BANKRUPTCY" was applied to this announcement related to a subsidiary owned 49% by Royal Caribbean.

Here are some of the highlights from this story by a newspaper at the center of the cruise industry: “The cruise line comprised of three ships — Horizon, Monarch and Sovereign — focuses on Spanish and Latin American customers.  Pullmantur had previously canceled cruises through November 15, 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Customers who have booked cruises for future dates will be able to re-book on other Royal Caribbean Cruises lines. Royal Caribbean Cruises reported (in late May) a $1.4 billion loss, or $6.91 per share, in the first quarter of 2020, a sharp downturn from a profit of $249.7 million, $1.19 per share, during the same period last year. The company said Monday that all of its assets related to the Pullmantur joint venture were included in the non-cash asset impairment charges reported in their first quarter of 2020 results.”

The second link below provides more details indicating this Spanish subsidiary is being closed up totally and that the interior assets from these ships have been removed. Clearly, Covid-19 is forcing serious changes and shrinkages in the cruise industry. 

Full stories at:

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article243707787.html

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2020/06/articles/disease/is-pullmantur-cruises-ending-operations/

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 251,553 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Terry,  I was in Italy and found a place that had lovely lavender fields.....I can't remember exactly where it was

located but I want to say I remember some shops that had lavender soaps, scents, etc.......maybe in Tuscan.

So there is definitely Lavender grown in Italy too😃

21 hours ago, Lois R said:

Terry,  I was in Italy and found a place that had lovely lavender fields.....I can't remember exactly where it was located but I want to say I remember some shops that had lavender soaps, scents, etc.......maybe in Tuscan.  So there is definitely Lavender grown in Italy too😃

Appreciate learning more as to lavender, which areas of the world have the best conditioning for growing, etc.  We need to be traveling now to enjoy those wonderful sights and smells!!

From the the USA Today national newspaper this morning, they had this headline: “Royal Caribbean, MSC, Carnival Cruise Line extend sailing suspensions into fall” with these story highlights: “The extensions come on the heels of an announcement from industry group Cruise Lines International Association that member cruise lines have voluntarily extended the suspension of U.S. cruise operations until Sept. 15.  CLIA's member lines carry 95% of the world's ocean-going cruisers. The new order applies to all CLIA member ships that can carry 250 or more passengers.  The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's "no-sail order" is scheduled to expire on July 24, and Canada has issued a ban on cruises in the country's waters through Oct. 31.  Royal Caribbean announced it will extend its sailing suspension through Sept. 15 for most cruises, Jonathon Fishman, spokesperson for Royal Caribbean, told USA TODAY Tuesday.  Exceptions include itineraries from China, which are canceled through the end of July and sailings to Bermuda, which are canceled through Oct. 31.”

Being "PATIENT" or slow?  Here was more from this story reporting: "Carnival Corp., the parent company of Carnival Cruise Line, Princess Cruises, Holland America Line and others announced last week it would take a phased approach to returning ships to sailing. 'We are going to be patient in our approach and learn from the best available information we are going to have before we sail,' Carnival spokesman Frizzell said."

My reaction?:  This wording/positioning by the Carnival spokesman seems to reflect that it is going to be later and phrased as to when and how the major cruise lines resume their sailings.  

Full story at:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/06/22/carnival-cruises-canceled-through-september-amid-coronavirus/3234687001/

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 239,594

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

As an example and/or a little hint, maybe, if and if, for parts of what sailing might work and be in the future, it is interesting to see how major colleges and universities are now planning for their fall learning/living experiences on campus.  

Here in Central Ohio, one of the nation's largest universities, Ohio State, announced their "rules" for on-campus students.  From the Columbus Dispatch newspaper four days ago, they had this headline: “Here’s what Ohio State students living on campus can expect this fall” with this sub-head: "Students living on Ohio State’s campus this fall will be required to wear masks in common areas and will be encouraged to pre-order and pick up food from dining halls". 

Here are more story highlights and specifics: “Students living in residence halls are required to wear face masks in all common areas, such as lobbies, study spaces and laundry facilities. The face coverings are also recommended if students gather or socialize in residence hall rooms, but such congregating should be limited.  Move-in will occur between Aug. 12 and Aug. 23, with students scheduling a designated time block for arrival to ensure that no more than eight students are moving into a particular residence hall during a one-hour period.   Students are encouraged to practice physical distancing while using residence halls’ laundry facilities, and they are asked to take clothes back to their rooms to fold.  Shared items such as kitchen supplies, board games and sports equipment that typically have been available at residence halls’ front desks will no longer be.  As for campus dining, traditional all-you-can eat and self-serve, buffet-style dining options will not be available. Instead, dining areas will operate instead as pre-order and pickup locations.  Chilled meal packages also will be available for reheating in residence hall rooms.   Limited seating in dining locations will be available on a first-come, first-served basis and will be cleaned and disinfected after each use.”

These campus requirements at just one major university raise many questions for the spaced-out timing need to get passengers on and off of the ship, food service options/service, lack of close/personal connections with other passengers, etc., etc.  Certainly hope that cruise ships do not put microwaves in each room for us to get our cold meal delivered and . . . then we need to heat it up and "dine" in our room for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  Or, do we go on the Internet to pre-order our meal selections before going down to the dining room for a portion of our three meals each day?

Also, if I were to be a fall student (or a parent paying the big college tuition/room-and/board costs), would going to college either be that much fun and/or enlightening??  Worth the hassles??

Full Ohio State campus dorm rules story at:

https://www.dispatch.com/news/20200619/herersquos-what-ohio-state-students-living-on-campus-can-expect-this-fall

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 230,371 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

On the SS website today, an update regarding the resumption of cruise but surprisingly the Seward Tokyo departing September 10 is still showing. Should be canceled following the decision by CLIA members to voluntarily suspend all cruises from/to the USA until September 14. A question of days I suppose?

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Forums

34 minutes ago, SSCAF001 said:

On the SS website today, an update regarding the resumption of cruise but surprisingly the Seward Tokyo departing September 10 is still showing. Should be canceled following the decision by CLIA members to voluntarily suspend all cruises from/to the USA until September 14. A question of days I suppose?

Good point above.  My sense is that the updates on the Silversea website sometimes lag behind being posted immediately versus when the first announcements are made by other parts of the SS/RCCL structure.  

From the New York Times in that past half hour, they had this headline: “E.U. May Bar American Travelers as It Reopens Borders, Citing Failures on Virus” with these highlights: European Union countries rushing to revive their economies and reopen their borders after months of coronavirus restrictions are prepared to block Americans from entering because the United States has failed to control the scourge, according to draft lists of acceptable travelers seen by The New York Times. That prospect, which would lump American visitors in with Russians and Brazilians as unwelcome."

This story is not yet official and/or final.  Just reporting by this one newspaper from their "sources".  If those from the U.S. cannot fly to Barcelona, Rome, Venice, Athens, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, etc., as a port of departure and/or return, that will significantly set back the re-opening of the cruising business for this fall and damage/slow potential bookings in 2021.  

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/23/world/europe/coronavirus-EU-American-travel-ban.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 87,741 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Edited by TLCOhio
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

From the New York Times in that past half hour, they had this headline: “E.U. May Bar American Travelers as It Reopens Borders, Citing Failures on Virus” with these highlights: European Union countries rushing to revive their economies and reopen their borders after months of coronavirus restrictions are prepared to block Americans from entering because the United States has failed to control the scourge, according to draft lists of acceptable travelers seen by The New York Times. That prospect, which would lump American visitors in with Russians and Brazilians as unwelcome."

I am totally expecting this to happen.

We were among the first out of the gate here in New York and it was pretty horrible. Hopefully, that got most of this out of our system. But other states could start to surge now. And if new outbreaks keep cropping up, yes, we will be personae non gratae for a long time.

Guess we will be banking lots of vacation days for future use.

• Like 1

I can see why Europe WOULD bar entry to US citizens!!.........given that the US was pretty quick to not allow entry to Europeans when the virus was raging in Europe and not in the US. And it makes sense. Why bother to lock down people within the country if you then allow entries from other countries where the virus is more virulent? And I reckon it was locking down the borders that led to New Zealand doing so well.

So although I know it's not very nice being unwanted (and we're pretty unwanted too as our government seems to have messed it up as well!!) I think it's the right thing for countries to do!

Edited by Mocamps

3 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

If those from the U.S. cannot fly to Barcelona, Rome, Venice, Athens, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, etc., as a port of departure and/or return, that will significantly set back the re-opening of the cruising business for this fall and damage/slow potential bookings in 2021.  

And, how will this impact the "Cruise with Confidence Policy"?  If Americans are not allowed entry into the country of embarkation, yet the cruise still sails, will Americans be able to get a full refund if forced to cancel regardless if it is less than 120-days prior to sailing, or will the only recourse be a FCC for Americans?

Also, if I were to be a fall student (or a parent paying the big college tuition/room-and/board costs), would going to college either be that much fun and/or enlightening??  Worth the hassles??

Full Ohio State campus dorm rules story at:

https://www.dispatch.com/news/20200619/herersquos-what-ohio-state-students-living-on-campus-can-expect-this-fall

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Terry

As an owner of a few investment houses 4 blocks from a University, we have been receiving so many calls to see if any of our houses are coming available.  I think these parents see a little 2 bedroom/1 bath house as with just 2 students as a very good option with far less restrictions.  Laundry in the house,  bathroom, kitchen, and outside deck for some sort of viable social distancing. 

My two cents,  it will be "easier" to space passengers out on a ship, restaurants, bars, theaters, loungers if the pax #'s are halved at most. Maybe even a third of the normal number.   Scheduled seating at dining venues. Room service ( meal delivery) enhanced and encouraged.  In our lives we've gotten used to curb-side pick up and grocery/food delivery. 

Obviously masks maybe required in some circumstances.  And if the elusive Rutgers 15-minute test will be more available by November?? Fly-in early, hold up in designated hotel for 24 hours.

All of this of course dependent on any destinations in the world willing to accept US citizens.

And, dependent on pax wanting to sail under these conditions.

Good point above.  My sense is that the updates on the Silversea website sometimes lag behind being posted immediately versus when the first announcements are made by other parts of the SS/RCCL structure.  

September 10 Silver Muse Seward to Tokyo canceled this morning by Silversea. I have asked for a full refund.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On 6/23/2020 at 6:11 PM, kimanjo said:

Terry  As an owner of a few investment houses 4 blocks from a University, we have been receiving so many calls to see if any of our houses are coming available.  I think these parents see a little 2 bedroom/1 bath house as with just 2 students as a very good option with far less restrictions.  Laundry in the house,  bathroom, kitchen, and outside deck for some sort of viable social distancing.   My two cents,  it will be "easier" to space passengers out on a ship, restaurants, bars, theaters, loungers if the pax #'s are halved at most. Maybe even a third of the normal number.      Obviously masks maybe required in some circumstances.  And if the elusive Rutgers 15-minute test will be more available by November?? Fly-in early, hold up in designated hotel for 24 hours.  All of this of course dependent on any destinations in the world willing to accept US citizens.  And, dependent on pax wanting to sail under these conditions.

Appreciate these excellent above details, comments and follow-up from kimanjo in South Florida.  Did not think or realize about the potential impacts with parents wanting to rent a two-bedroom apartment as a way to gain less "density" away from the more crowded dorms, etc.  

Regarding your comments as to cruise lines returning to operations at only half or one-third capacity, that sounds, maybe, potential on paper.  BUT, my business background tells me that like with dining places or hotels, you cannot operate efficiently and/or profitably with too much of a smaller fraction of customers on-board and paying their fare.  Major challenges and serious questions??!!

From the New York Times Travel Section yesterday, they had this headline: “The Post-Coronavirus Cruise? Not Ready to Sail” with many aspects as to real-life practicalities for the companies and the C.D.C. not yet establishing how sailing can come back. 

Here are some key questions and highlights from this NY Times reporting: “With more than 20 million passengers a year, the $45 billion global cruise industry has a particularly vexing challenge: Its most loyal customers, older people, also happen to be the key demographic at risk for the new illness that has swept the planet, killing more than 450,000 people. Cruises also have the very things that help the coronavirus spread: large gatherings, confined spaces and workers who live in tight shared quarters.  Interviews with health officials, loyal passengers, industry experts, cruise executives and maritime lawyers made clear that restarting operations would require rethinking cruising itself — from the number of passengers onboard to how they are fed, housed and entertained — and that the government and the cruise lines are not close to figuring it out.”

Here is another angle from this reporting: "According to Martin Cetron, the C.D.C.’s director for the Division of Global Migration and Quarantine, cruise ships offer fertile ground for the 'seeding, amplification, and dissemination' of Covid-19, worsened by the fact that crew members often transfer from one ship to another, taking diseases with them.  Breaking that chain of infection is key."  That explains, in part, why CDC has been slow (or careful) in working out with cruises lines as to when and how a sailing re-opening can safely happen.   

In this story, one cruise-loving, highly-experienced traveler raised the ideas of "special disinfecting ultraviolet lights and air flow contraptions commonly used in sterile laboratories. He envisions larger cabins, fewer passengers and a lot more outdoor spaces."  Some of that sounds interesting, but cruise lines cannot simply push a button and make their cabins larger and defy normal "economic laws" to operate with fewer passengers, etc.    

It also appears that Europe is definitely rolling ahead with their plan to ban summer airline flights to and from the U.S., etc., to these key E. U. locations.  The NY Times has this headline this morning: "E.U. Plans to Bar Most U.S. Travelers When Bloc Reopens".  Here is that story sub-head: "Europe will allow outsiders to begin entering again on July 1, but the U.S. and Russia are now among the nations considered too risky because they have not controlled the coronavirus outbreak."  This story detailed about the exclusion of the United States, an important source of tourism to the European Union, plus a key drawing source for cruise ship customers.  This story also shared: "Countries that made the safe list, which include Canada and Australia, were judged on a mix of scientific criteria that included their infection rates and the credibility of their public health reporting data. The list will be updated every two weeks, raising the possibility that excluded countries will be added."

Full stories at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/26/travel/coronavirus-cruises-reopening.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/26/world/europe/europe-us-travel-ban.html

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 66,712 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

• Like 1

Much more in the news this week that hint at a re-opening for cruise lines would not be happening as soon as many hope and/or desire.  This includes Europe saying "NO!!" to flights coming in from the U.S., the growing Covid-19 numbers for states such as Florida, Texas, Arizona and California, some cruise staff still not back home, etc., etc.  

From the CNBC cable news network yesterday, they had this headline: “Norwegian Cruise chairman Russell Galbut on challenges to reopening” with a key summary being that the: “Cruise industry will come back with more pent up demand than ever before.  Not sure if that "pent up demand" can actually be documented and verified.  It seem that it is just a "hope and wish" to be used as a "spin" to attract future sales and bookings.  When pressed about "liquidity" for NCL and other cruises, their Board Chairman kind of ducked answering that reporter's question.  He would not be specific as to how long their cruise company can last from a cash-flow stand-point until a re-opening can be allowed by CDC, governments around the world, etc.  

From the AP Newswire this morning, they had this headline: “Puerto Rico to demand COVID-19 test results from passengers” with these story highlights: “Puerto Rico’s governor on Tuesday announced strict new rules for all passengers flying into Puerto Rico in a bid to curb coronavirus cases as officials blame recent outbreaks on those who flew to the U.S. territory and were infected.  Starting July 15, all passengers have to wear a mask and must take a molecular test 72 hours prior to their arrival and submit the results to officials at the airport. Those who refuse to do so, or tested positive, or do not have the test results available, will be forced into a two-week quarantine.”  San Juan has been a popular port for starting and/or ending a cruise.  If these restrictions are in place, that becomes an added challenge for cruising to re-start and these businesses to offer attractive schedules and ports.  

Not trying to be negative, just following the current reporting and status for this situation that seem far from being over.  Nor, close.    One early hope was that warmer summer weather would kill off this virus and make everything OK, quickly.  Not happening!!   Doubt that cruise ships will be sailing soon.  Am I missing something major or significant??

Full stories at:

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2020/06/30/norwegian-cruise-chairman-russell-galbut-on-challenges-to-reopening.html

https://apnews.com/863e66c41e5a5ded60b2e8beac2f485f

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 49,688 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

• Like 1

From the South Florida Business Journal this morning, they had this headline: “One cruise ship giant plans to resume sailings sooner than competitors” with these highlights: “Miami-based Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. plans to resume North American voyages on Sept. 16, slightly sooner than its biggest competitors.  Cruise Lines International Association announced on Friday that none of the cruise brands it represents will resume cruising in the continent until after Sept. 15. Royal Caribbean's announcement shows it hopes to get started as soon as possible.  Additionally, Royal Caribbean announced plans to resume sailings in China on Aug. 1.  In a statement, the company said it does not plan to resume voyages to Bermuda until Nov. 1 at the earliest.

This news source has a fairly tight paywall, but I am a subscriber to their sister business publication in Central Ohio.  Additionally, they reported: "The Center for Disease Control and Prevention released an updated analysis of cruise ship readiness to resume cruising on Tuesday. Of Royal Caribbean's 22 ships listed in the report, 13 are marked 'provisionally green,' meaning they have not been cleared to resume commercial activity, but could get clearance to return to the seas soon. Eight Royal Caribbean ships are 'provisionally red,' while one is 'provisionally yellow,' meaning the ships are not as close to resuming passenger travel."

Maybe things are moving closer to resuming, somewhat, initially?  Reactions?

Full story at:

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2020/07/01/royal-caribbean-reveals-when-it-expects-to-resume.html

Kotor/Montenegro:  Exciting visual samples, tips, details, etc., for this scenic, historic location. Over 47,677 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193