QM2 location (Merged threads)

speedwell

20 minutes ago, London-Calling said:

02/05/20: The Queen Mary 2 cruise ship, the flagship of the Cunard Line, has joined two P&O vessels, the Aurora and Ventura. The Queen Mary 2 has been in the area for some time after arriving back off the coast of England last month but is occasionally seen moving around due to the weather forecast and for maritime operations, according to its owner.

(Text Daily Mail)

Slide-show: https://youtu.be/wXYFgsP0mDw

Great pictures.

3 hours ago, London-Calling said:

02/05/20: The Queen Mary 2 cruise ship, the flagship of the Cunard Line, has joined two P&O vessels, the Aurora and Ventura. The Queen Mary 2 has been in the area for some time after arriving back off the coast of England last month but is occasionally seen moving around due to the weather forecast and for maritime operations, according to its owner.

(Text Daily Mail)

Slide-show: https://youtu.be/wXYFgsP0mDw

Dont know what it means by the area, but for most of that time she has been in Southampton Docks.

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

Dont know what it means by the area, but for most of that time she has been in Southampton Docks.

Yeah, I think that Daily Mail article from yesterday was a bit loose with some of the details. For example, it states "... Queen Victoria - now also docked off the coast of south England ..." when she is of course docked in Southampton. It also states "(QM2) arrived back in England on April 17." when she actually arrived back in Southampton on April 15.

But I do appreciate the excellent photos of the three ships at Weymouth/Portland Anchorage.

6 hours ago, Trevor33 said:

QM2 is off the coast of Weymouth. With her UK home port of Southampton a short distance away she is simply practising Social Distancing.

The QM2 and P&O's Aurora & Ventura are 'temporary at anchor together' in the Portland area,  to enable the QM2 and Aurora  (using their own tenders)  to transfer Indian crew members to the Ventura for repatriation home to India.   

• Like 1

Here's another screen capture I took early this morning from the Solent View webcam at "isleofwightwebcams.co.uk" during QM2's arrival into Southampton. This provides another chance to see QM2 with HMS Queen Elizabeth. I didn't post it earlier since I thought there might be a better view when QM2 departs this afternoon. But now HMS Queen Elizabeth has sailed out into the channel, so that opportunity won't present itself this afternoon.

476775254_QM2SolentViewwithHMSQE15-May-2020.jpg.44ee39dcaf7ac3ecb051e2e73fd06d95.jpg

• Like 1

I can see both QM2 and QV sailing by in the evening sun, in excellent visibility.  Sad to think that both restaurants will not be humming with life as usual at the start of a voyage.

It looks like QM2 is at the Nab Anchorage this time. Since she departed Southampton this afternoon, she's been reporting Southampton as her destination, arriving back tomorrow morning at 06:00. But the Southampton VTS cruise ship schedule isn't showing her returning to Southampton until May 29th.

• 2 weeks later...

She’s due in for another visit to Southampton tomorrow, returning to either the Nab or Weymouth in the evening.  

Meanwhile there’s a batch of other cruise ships from various companies either moored offshore or sailing up and down to enliven the view from here.

• Like 1

Here's today's contribution showing QM2 heading back to Weymouth as seen from the Cowes Yachting webcam on "isleofwightwebcams.co.uk". Thought I'd post this since it looks like QM2 may not be back to Southampton for a while. The Southampton VTS cruise ship schedule doesn't show QM2 back to Southampton until "14-Aug-20 AM".

2092694513_QM2CowesYachting19-June-2020.jpg.e88202f34ee2c8193fa80bde329c64eb.jpg

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 2

On 6/19/2020 at 1:14 PM, bluemarble said:

... The Southampton VTS cruise ship schedule doesn't show QM2 back to Southampton until "14-Aug-20 AM". ...

QM2 is now listed on the Southampton VTS cruise ship schedule with three upcoming visits to Southampton at two-week invervals on July 1st,  July 15th, and July 29th. No long wait until August 14th for her next visit to Southampton after all.

• 3 weeks later...

It's been almost a month since my last webcam post on this thread, so here's my contribution for today showing QM2 departing this afternoon for Weymouth. Managed to get one of the Red Funnel ferries in the shot this time too. Once again this is from the Cowes Yachting webcam found at "isleofwightwebcams.co.uk".

1124273513_QM2CowesYachting15-July-2020.jpg.929bc3c3639617a969d860f1f6ca6a09.jpg

• Like 2