Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
superduper123

Who is making new reservations?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, bouhunter said:

It does sound like there is a lot of booking going on for 2021.  But at the same time, many people seem to think ships will be sailing half full to accommodate "social distancing"...... 

 

We won't be sending any money to any cruise line for anything for a while.  Will cancel our October cruise before final payment.  January 2021 B2B2B, don't know if we'll make final payment or not.  Time will tell.  

I can see the social distancing happening on the first few months of cruises once they start sailing again.  Who knows what the future brings but once a vaccine is available I would bet money that social distancing is a thing if the past. 
 

Ive got cruises booked November, December and March.  I’ll decide 3 months out .  The good thing is that none involve air. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

For Suites?

Generally no but I booked the VP suite refundable for a client a couple days ago.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Thesandman12 said:

Any one finding a T/A west bound 2021/2022 out of any Euro. port other than Barcelona, back to US.

At least a dozen or more on various cruise lines. Just Royal has Anthem, Rhapsody,  Odyssey,  all leaving in OCT/NOV 2021. plus a few more from Barcelona.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Does Cancel for Any Reason cover for COVID19?

 

A CFAR policy means you can cancel for ANY reason, and get 75% of your prepaid, nonrefundable expenses reimbursed.  It's for situations that aren't normally covered by a standard trip insurance policy. This is what the Trip Insurance Store says about Cancel For Any Reason policies: https://tripinsurancestore.com/cancel-for-any-reason-travel-insurance-plans/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NancyIL said:

 

A CFAR policy means you can cancel for ANY reason, and get 75% of your prepaid, nonrefundable expenses reimbursed.  It's for situations that aren't normally covered by a standard trip insurance policy. This is what the Trip Insurance Store says about Cancel For Any Reason policies: https://tripinsurancestore.com/cancel-for-any-reason-travel-insurance-plans/

I just wasn’t sure if it covers something like this, a pandemic?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Milwaukee Eight said:

I just wasn’t sure if it covers something like this, a pandemic?

With Royal's CFAR I don't think they even ask for a reason but you only get 75% back in a FCC not cash money💰

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I just wasn’t sure if it covers something like this, a pandemic?

 

Most standard policies won't cover a pandemic like COVID-19 -  once it is a known event.  A Cancel For Any Reason policy costs more than a standard policy, and you'll get back only 75% of your nonrefundable trip costs instead of 100%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope not lending my money free of charge to royal to return it to someone elses canceled cruise. Plus im not sure cruising will be fun anymore once it resumes. Waiting..............................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have booked two RCI sailings for 2021 in recent weeks (and many family members are joining us on at least one, my inlaws on both).  Most will be paid with FCC, though yes we had to put down those deposites. (we also booked a DCL sailing for Spetember 2021, but that has a fully refindable deposit---I am leaning towards going back to lines which offer the refundaable deposits once we have used up our FCCs; we have top status on more than just RCI and the need to put down a deposit when we have FCCs and had put deposits down on the original sailings really irks me)

 

We have a large group booked for Alaska for the end of May 2021 (most of us were suppsed to be sailing together in Alaska this month) and also a TA in October next fall.  

 

We figure it is worth the risk to put down the added deposits.  My thought process, which might prove totally wrong, is that the creditors will find a way to allow RCI and other very large lines to wait on making payments long enough that they can continue to operate and rebuild after the COVID-19 issues eventually fade away.  Why?  Because the collateral is mostly big ships.  If no one is cruising and no lines have lots of demand or passengers bases, who would buy a big ship from the bank if the bank were to insist on collecting?  No one.  Thus, it is in the best intersts of the creditors to extend the line of credit as needed until travel picks up again.  At least I hope it works out that way and we are not throwing our money away on those deposits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, xxHadleyxx said:

we have top status on more than just RCI and the need to put down a deposit when we have FCCs and had put deposits down on the original sailings really irks me)

So you feel policy should be different for those with “top” status over everyone else in the same boat?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I can see the social distancing happening on the first few months of cruises once they start sailing again.  Who knows what the future brings but once a vaccine is available I would bet money that social distancing is a thing if the past. 
 

Ive got cruises booked November, December and March.  I’ll decide 3 months out .  The good thing is that none involve air. 

 

 

I wouldn't count on a vaccine. It's been 30 + years and we still don't have one for HIV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

So you feel policy should be different for those with “top” status over everyone else in the same boat?

No.  That is not at all what I meant. I think everyone should have the option of a refundable deposit or at the very least the FCC they get for a cancelled crusie should be able to be applied to all of the base fare, deposit included, on a replacement cruise.

 

 I meant that having status perks is not enough of a draw to keep me with the line if I am enough opposed to the new booking policy, partially because I have status perks elsewhere (on lines which still allow refundable deposits----and from which FCCs issued by the lines for cruises they cancelled are good for the ENTIRE base cruise fare of a replacement cruise, including the deposit, which I had after all, already paid for for the cancelled sailing).

 

I might change my mind, as there is a lot I like about RCI, but this is one of those things that particularly bothers me and I see no reason to encourage.  Once upon a time we sailed almost exclusively on Princess, then Disney became a better (and, hard to believe these days) cheaper option for us.  Then Royal was a better, less expensive and more varied option.  Now?  Who knows, maybe Princess or DCL is going to be better again.  I can be pretty loyal up to a point, but there can (and has previously been)  be a breaking point.

Edited by xxHadleyxx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jacksonx said:

 

 

I wouldn't count on a vaccine. It's been 30 + years and we still don't have one for HIV.

Different type of virus. Apples to Oranges. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, xxHadleyxx said:

I think everyone should have the option of a refundable deposit

There was a lot of abuse with RD. Place marker cruises and abuse by a few guests and Next Cruise agents. It was especially bad with Suites. Booking Suites and giving up at Final Payment. You have only those that abused the system to thank. 
 

In my opinion 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, jacksonx said:

 

 

I wouldn't count on a vaccine. It's been 30 + years and we still don't have one for HIV.

They are COMPLETELY different types of virus.  Do some research online if you want, HIV is one that's constantly mutating among other things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Booked Majesty out of New Orleans for Jan 2021. The price was good,  booked refundable, and did not use FCC. Will reevaluate before final payment. Give me something to look forward to and research fun things to do in New Orleans before the cruise. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

There was a lot of abuse with RD. Place marker cruises and abuse by a few guests and Next Cruise agents. It was especially bad with Suites. Booking Suites and giving up at Final Payment. You have only those that abused the system to thank. 
 

In my opinion 

Correct, especially in regards to suites as you noted.  RCCL had enough, it was out of control with people locking things up and not keeping them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

They are COMPLETELY different types of virus.  Do some research online if you want, HIV is one that's constantly mutating among other things.

 

They are different types of viruses, but there's no reason to assume that a vaccine will be effective against this type of Coronavirus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Different type of virus. Apples to Oranges. 

 

They are different types of viruses. While it's nice to be optimistic, there is certainly a good chance that no effective vaccine will be found.

 

We need to plan for that possibility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We booked a week on Symphony through a casino royale rate.   $329 for a cat 4D oceanview balcony with $100 OBC.   That's about the ONLY influence on me to book a cruise now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jacksonx said:

 

They are different types of viruses, but there's no reason to assume that a vaccine will be effective against this type of Coronavirus.

I didn't say I'm optimistic about a vaccine anytime soon or assuming there will be, just that the HIV reference isn't a valid comparison.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

There was a lot of abuse with RD. Place marker cruises and abuse by a few guests and Next Cruise agents. It was especially bad with Suites. Booking Suites and giving up at Final Payment. You have only those that abused the system to thank. 
 

In my opinion 

 

 

I like how you acuse me of wanting special policies becuase of status, I explain that it is not at all what i meant when you pulled that quote out, and you do not even aknowledge it now.  Geez.  OK then.  

 

Anyway, about the deposits  IMO, until we are inside the date by which the line will no longer consider cancelling a cruise in order to sell it as a charter, there should at least be an option for a refundable deposit booking.  If we have to agree to a FIRM commitment to sail, non refundable, then the line should agree to an equally firm commitment to offer the sailing if weather/illness/mechanical problems and the like do not force their hand in cancelling it.  

Nonetheless what bothers me far more is the FCC not being able to be applied to the portion of cruise fare which is the deposit when booking a replacement cruise.  That policy is, IMO, ridiculous.  They already took the actual money.  I could see them saying that portion of the FCC would not be given back if we then changed our minds about the sailing, but the current policy?  It is not a good one.  If they hold onto it,  it is likely (though not certain by any stretch)  we will move back to other lines which we have also enjoyed in the past.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

I didn't say I'm optimistic about a vaccine anytime soon or assuming there will be, just that the HIV reference isn't a valid comparison.

 

They're both RNA viruses, and both are challenging to create effective vaccines.

 

We can't assume we're getting one for Covid-19.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, superduper123 said:

Curious with the current circumstances if anyone is putting down deposits on new reservations. I have three future cruises already scheduled, which I am not intending to cancel. But not sure I want to give them any additional money right now with such uncertainty. 

Booked 3 new ones last 4weeks, another 3-4 planning to. Cheap, just have look. Received over $4000 in reductions last 4 weeks on previous Bookings, found some offering low with no Single Supplement or almost none

Edited by ONECRUISER

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, xxHadleyxx said:

like how you acuse me of wanting special policies becuase of status, I explain that it is not at all what i meant when you pulled that quote out, and you do not even aknowledge it now.  Geez.  OK then.  

You brought up your “top status”. I just don’t think it should matter when it comes to how Royal is handling this situation. Don’t get offended. I understand everyone that has a cruise booked or cancelled has many of the same issues 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...