Carnival Announces Plan To Resume Operations

Syracusefan

6 hours ago, Cafedumonde said:

It seems like a lot of people from the northeast have more negative views of corona than people from other parts of the country.  I agree that 8/1 is far off.  It’s a longer distance in time from when this all started around March 13.  That was only 6 or 7 weeks ago and already things are opening up in most parts of the country, except the NE 🙄.  August 1 is another long 12 weeks away.  Everything will be open by that time.  But the great thing about cruising is that it’s optional.  All those still worried about ‘Rona can opt out.

Have no fear....COVID-19 will becoming to your part of the country soon and I am sure your thinking might change.....all new model predictions based on these ridiculous "openings" are that deaths will significantly increases and cases to and even though some part of the country think they are opening up the economy they are just opening themselves to the COVID-19 virus and unnecessary deaths.  

The US cannot magically think it's way out of this crisis and our helter skelter way of approaching and dealing with COVID-19 is much less effective then many other countries approaches who have been successful and unified with their citizen support.  We are just to divided to do it right it appears.

So with estimates that by this summer we could be experiencing 200,000 cases a day and 3,000 deaths a day the last place I want to be is on a Carnival floating petri dish of disease.

And the idea of a vaccine by the end of the year.......my god.....they have never even been able to come up with a vaccine for herpes!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I truly love the cruise industry and have done a lot of cruising since the med-70s.  We had over 100 days (4 cruises) booked from April 2020-March 2021 and, so far, the cruise lines have cancelled 1 and we have cancelled 1.   Until a couple of weeks ago I was optimistic that things would start getting back to normal by July.  But now, having had some time to think it through, I am very negative on the ability of cruising to resume on a worldwide basis.

My logic is very simple.  The cruise lines have wrestled with Norovirus for decades and have done just about everything possible when it comes to mitigation.  And yet they continue to have Noro outbreaks because it is simply impossible to keep passengers and crew from bringing that nasty bug aboard.  COVID-19 is even more contagious then Noro plus, unlike Noro, COVID-19 can also be spread through the air by a mere sneeze, cough, or even breathing.  There is no screening test that is 100% and even if there was a way to test every passenger with 100% reliability, this could easily be undone at the first port where anyone could pick up the bug while ashore.  

Somebody else posted that the first time there is a COVID-19 on another cruise it will be the end of the cruise industry until there is a safe and effective vaccine.  That comment is logical and it is difficult to imagine anything the cruise lines can do to prevent that situation.

Hank

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, gmjc2 said:

Must agree to disagree. The few who say "we are going to travel no matter what" can get infected and then put others in danger. That is how this spread so rapidly. We have to be considerate of our fellow man/woman! Just wait and make the "choice" to be safe.!

agree to disagree - perhaps you should not put yourself in a position ever again where you may come into contact with a person who has covid-19 until a vaccine / cure becomes available - enjoy the time in your abode for the next year or so

meanwhile, we will proceed under the current guidelines … 

stay safe

peace out

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PrincessLuver said:

Have no fear....COVID-19 will becoming to your part of the country soon and I am sure your thinking might change.....all new model predictions based on these ridiculous "openings" are that deaths will significantly increases and cases to and even though some part of the country think they are opening up the economy they are just opening themselves to the COVID-19 virus and unnecessary deaths.  

The US cannot magically think it's way out of this crisis and our helter skelter way of approaching and dealing with COVID-19 is much less effective then many other countries approaches who have been successful and unified with their citizen support.  We are just to divided to do it right it appears.

So with estimates that by this summer we could be experiencing 200,000 cases a day and 3,000 deaths a day the last place I want to be is o  Furthermore the n a Carnival floating petri dish of disease.

And the idea of a vaccine by the end of the year.......my god.....they have never even been able to come up with a vaccine for herpes!

The report you are referring to was a draft study completed by Johns Hopkins.  The numbers do justify this study simply and the report was never fully vetted.  Furthermore, the IHME model shows a completely different projection than the draft report you were referencing.  

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america

These are very challenging times we are in.  Who knows what the cruise industry will look like a year from now.  While I will do my best to remain safe, I will never consider ending my favorite (and pretty much only) way I like to go on vacation.....

Bob

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bobontheblue said:

On several accounts this information can be found out quite easily. If you choose to explore  The Greenland Tourist Board you will note their slogan and new campaign ad for 2020 is " Do not cancel, postpone. We will be here when your ready." The campaign is accompanied by some of the most wonderful shots of Greenland. Having remained in contact with friends, who are curators of a series of Museums across Greenland. They  were informed by the local governments at each site not to count on tourist income for the remainder of 2020, any projects and funding from that source would be put on hold.

We had planed on returning to Greenland this year. Until this pandemic changed the world as we know it. So not wanting to do a TA. with no ports to call on for 16 days. We will hope the world heals itself and we can all go explore this part of the world in 2021 , safe and healthy once again.   

So no real source, just an anecdotal opinion??

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

agree to disagree - perhaps you should not put yourself in a position ever again where you may come into contact with a person who has covid-19 until a vaccine / cure becomes available - enjoy the time in your abode for the next year or so

meanwhile, we will proceed under the current guidelines … 

stay safe

peace out

Sarcasm does not become you.

Daily life with precautions is a lot different than putting your head in the sand and jumping in the deep end too soon.

I love those idioms don't you?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gmjc2 said:

Sarcasm does not become you.

Daily life with precautions is a lot different than putting your head in the sand and jumping in the deep end too soon.

I love those idioms don't you?

sorry, but no sarcasm at all … glass always half full … deep end ??? meh

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woobstr112G said:

These are very challenging times we are in.  Who knows what the cruise industry will look like a year from now.  While I will do my best to remain safe, I will never consider ending my favorite (and pretty much only) way I like to go on vacation.....

Bob

I just LOVE cruising!!!  Do you think they still have Princess Lysol Wipes at the gift shop?

I could swear they said no COVID-19 in 2021? :classic_smile:

source.mov

Edited by PrincessLuver

The report you are referring to was a draft study completed by Johns Hopkins.  The numbers do justify this study simply and the report was never fully vetted.  Furthermore, the IHME model shows a completely different projection than the draft report you were referencing.  

Bob

So many "draft" studies with so many different unsubstantiated results that are being given to us by so many unidentified experts to show where we will be at next year with this virus when they can not even correctly predict where we will be at next week.  And everyone says to trust the science and the experts. Which expert and what science?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Potstech said:

So many "draft" studies with so many different unsubstantiated results that are being given to us by so many unidentified experts to show where we will be at next year with this virus when they can not even correctly predict where we will be at next week.  And everyone says to trust the science and the experts. Which expert and what science?

Sounds like the best plan then is just to keep sailing blind.....daily death statistics in US are now being withheld in a number of Red States.....no matter what people say no one anywhere has not been able to slow down COVID-19 without stringent social  distancing in place and comprehensive testing and tracking.....we are a long ways from there it seems in this divided country.

On 5/4/2020 at 7:07 AM, voljeep said:

Princess will add West Coast trips also - just like I have previously stated how the rollout would begin - and was boo-hoo by many - and you know who you are ...

I think it's a great start if it happens

Could you elaborate or link me to where you spoke of this?  We were canceled on the March 7 out of San Pedro after waiting in the terminal for seven hours.   As a result we received FCC and would like to use it!  However, we are only interested in Caribbean or Mexico cruises.  Will there be any cruising in August or even end of July?  If they are adding cruises to the west coast, when will that be and what are your expected dates?  There is one cruise this year that I see out of Florida leaving July 18.  Any chance or am I dreaming?  I know the answer but I thought I would get your opinion.  

We really want to get on any ship soon but I have credit with Princess so we will sail with them if they resume before August!

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I truly love the cruise industry and have done a lot of cruising since the med-70s.  We had over 100 days (4 cruises) booked from April 2020-March 2021 and, so far, the cruise lines have cancelled 1 and we have cancelled 1.   Until a couple of weeks ago I was optimistic that things would start getting back to normal by July.  But now, having had some time to think it through, I am very negative on the ability of cruising to resume on a worldwide basis.

My logic is very simple.  The cruise lines have wrestled with Norovirus for decades and have done just about everything possible when it comes to mitigation.  And yet they continue to have Noro outbreaks because it is simply impossible to keep passengers and crew from bringing that nasty bug aboard.  COVID-19 is even more contagious then Noro plus, unlike Noro, COVID-19 can also be spread through the air by a mere sneeze, cough, or even breathing.  There is no screening test that is 100% and even if there was a way to test every passenger with 100% reliability, this could easily be undone at the first port where anyone could pick up the bug while ashore.  

Somebody else posted that the first time there is a COVID-19 on another cruise it will be the end of the cruise industry until there is a safe and effective vaccine.  That comment is logical and it is difficult to imagine anything the cruise lines can do to prevent that situation.

Hank

Only do 4-7 day cruise and hope no one develops symptoms on board.

37 minutes ago, Potstech said:

Very good point.....😊😊😊

Bob

Bob

Of course the ihme study assumes social distancing and other mitigation measures remain in place.  That is not happening. In some states they were never even fully implemented. Only a few states have reached a level to start unwinding restrictions based upon data and those like Alaska and Hawaii should keep restrictions in place for those outside the state.

31 minutes ago, jp2746 said:

Could you elaborate or link me to where you spoke of this?  We were canceled on the March 7 out of San Pedro after waiting in the terminal for seven hours.   As a result we received FCC and would like to use it!  However, we are only interested in Caribbean or Mexico cruises.  Will there be any cruising in August or even end of July?  If they are adding cruises to the west coast, when will that be and what are your expected dates?  There is one cruise this year that I see out of Florida leaving July 18.  Any chance or am I dreaming?  I know the answer but I thought I would get your opinion.  

We really want to get on any ship soon but I have credit with Princess so we will sail with them if they resume before August!

We had just gotten off of the Royal on the 7th and was at LAX when we heard that they were not letting anyone board, and that they were not letting passengers off of the Carnival ship that had been on the exact same route.  Never been so happy to be sitting in LAX (a nearly empty LAX, fewer people at noon that day than at midnight when we flew in the week before)

4 minutes ago, npcl said:

We had just gotten off of the Royal on the 7th and was at LAX when we heard that they were not letting anyone board, and that they were not letting passengers off of the Carnival ship that had been on the exact same route.  Never been so happy to be sitting in LAX (a nearly empty LAX, fewer people at noon that day than at midnight when we flew in the week before)

It was a very sad day for us.  We had surprised our son for his 14th birthday and had kept the secret for a couple of months.  It was pretty hard as we were not able to tell anyone because we were afraid they would spoil the surprise.  When we were about five minutes from the terminal we pulled over and asked him to look in the pull down door for the trunk. We had the Princess medallions wrapped along with all our luggage.  He was so excited.  But... we were extremely disappointed at the end of the day.  He is such a great kid and we really wanted to surprise him with this.  On Easter, we hid eggs with clues around the house.  He has the Princess box in his room and knew immediately where the egg was hidden with the clue, "the most disappointing birthday gift ever!"

1 hour ago, PrincessLuver said:

Sounds like the best plan then is just to keep sailing blind.....daily death statistics in US are now being withheld in a number of Red States.....no matter what people say no one anywhere has not been able to slow down COVID-19 without stringent social  distancing in place and comprehensive testing and tracking.....we are a long ways from there it seems in this divided country.

Unfortunately the reality is that there are many still not social distancing or wearing masks etc despite state and federal warnings. I have been sworn at, yelled at laughed at for wearing a mask and for politely pointing out that someone was too close to me and others.

There will always be idiots who think they are above the rules and don't care for their own well being or others. That is one reason that the states should not be opening up this soon. It is awful for the people out of work but they will be either sick or worse if we do not get this under better control soon.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, npcl said:

That is fine for those that like short cruises.  But if the cruise lines limit cruises to 7 days max there will be a lot of empty ships and bankruptcies.  I do understand that a majority of USA/Canada cruisers take 7 day (or shorter) Caribbean cruises.  To many of those folks this is the norm and they really do not understand the cruise market outside of those short cruises.  But there is another huge segment of the cruise industry that involves longer cruises where 7 days is the shortest part of the spectrum and longer cruises in the 10 day plus market are the norm.  We seldom take cruises less than 14 days and prefer at least 25 days with 62 days being our longest.  There are many other folks who routinely measure their cruises in weeks and even months.  

Will the new normal be that long cruises will disappear?  I do not know the answer but can say that frequent cruisers, such as ourselves, will simply use other means of travel and will talk about cruises in the past tense.  At this point we only have a single cruise booked for 2021 and it's a 30 day Asian cruise.  Under normal circumstances we would likely have already booked another 50-80 days of long cruises for next year.  But at this point it will be wait and see.  Otherwise, we would likely fly to Europe (next year) and spent a couple of months on a driving trip (we love to drive around Europe).

Hank

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, gmjc2 said:

Unfortunately the reality is that there are many still not social distancing or wearing masks etc despite state and federal warnings. I have been sworn at, yelled at laughed at for wearing a mask and for politely pointing out that someone was too close to me and others.

There will always be idiots who think they are above the rules and don't care for their own well being or others. That is one reason that the states should not be opening up this soon. It is awful for the people out of work but they will be either sick or worse if we do not get this under better control soon.

Or they sort of wear masks. I was grocery shopping early this morning at the local supermarket that has the hour of 6-7 AM on Tuesdays set aside for senior citizens. And masks are required in my state to enter a business. But there was one person who was wearing a mask with the elastic around his chin and his entire nose uncovered. And later while waiting on the line to be allowed to the checkout, I saw him with his mask pulled down even further uncovering also his mouth. And BTW if I had to estimate his age, I would guess 25 at the most.

48 minutes ago, npcl said:

I don't think the CDC will allow that approach, disembark infected but asymptomatic passengers.  If this is the business plan that the industry develops the CDC will catch on and slap a No-Sail order again.

4 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

So with estimates that by this summer we could be experiencing 200,000 cases a day and 3,000 deaths a day the last place I want to be is on a Carnival floating petri dish of disease.

They do have vaccine candidates for herpes. However the clinical trail hurdle for safety and efficacy is quite high for an ailment that is uncomfortable, but not fatal.