Carnival canceling all cruises till Sept 1 except for 8 ships in 3 ports. Will Celebrity follow suit?

fstuff1

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/news-releases/news-release-details/carnival-cruise-line-announces-plan-phase-service

carnivale announced that all cruises to July 31 canceled.

and only 8 ships will sail out of 3 ports in Aug.

the rest canceled till at least Sept 1.

the 8 ships in 3 ports are:

• Galveston:  Carnival Dream, Carnival Freedom and Carnival Vista
  • Miami:  Carnival Horizon, Carnival Magic and Carnival Sensation
  • Port Canaveral:  Carnival Breeze and Carnival Elation

do you think Celebrity will follow suit?

What are Celebrity's major US ports? Miami and Fort Lauderdale? any others?

Edited by fstuff1

19 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/news-releases/news-release-details/carnival-cruise-line-announces-plan-phase-service

carnivale announced that all cruises to July 31 canceled.

and only 8 ships will sail out of 3 ports in Aug.

the rest canceled till at least Sept 1.

the 8 ships in 3 ports are:

• Port Canaveral:  Carnival Breeze and Carnival Elation

do you think Celebrity will follow suit?

What are Celebrity's major US ports? Miami and Fort Lauderdale? any others?

Heres a list 

The following was posted by CCL.  It is a press release, not a copyrighted news article.  There is no such posting on either Princess or HAL's news pages.  A reflection of demographics perhaps?

Carnival Cruise Line Announces Plan To Phase-In Service

May 4, 2020

Carnival Cruise Line advised guests and travel agents today of our plan to phase in a resumption in our North American service this summer, beginning on August 1 with a total of eight ships from Miami, Port Canaveral and Galveston.  In connection with this plan, our pause in operations will be extended in all other North American and Australian markets through August 31.

The key elements of this plan include:

• All North American cruises from June 27 to July 31 will be cancelled.
  • Beginning August 1, we plan to resume cruises on the following ships:
    • Port Canaveral:  Carnival Breeze and Carnival Elation.
  • Other than the above referenced service from Galveston, Miami, and Port Canaveral, all other North American and Australian homeport cruises will be cancelled through August 31.
  • All Carnival Spirit Alaskan cruises from Seattle will be cancelled, as well as the Carnival Spirit Vancouver-Honolulu cruise on September 25 and the Honolulu-Brisbane transpacific cruise on October 6.
  • All Carnival Splendor cruises in Australia from June 19 to August 31 will be cancelled.

Impacted guests and their travel advisors are being notified by email, including options for a combined future cruise credit (FCC) and onboard credit (OBC) package, or a full refund.  Booked guests can make their selection online, alleviating the need to contact Carnival’s customer service center, which is still operating in a work-from-home status due to locally-imposed office closures in South Florida.

We are committed to supporting all public health efforts to manage the COVID-19 situation. We are taking a measured approach, focusing our return to service on a select number of homeports where we have more significant operations that are easily accessible by car for the majority of our guests.

We will use this additional time to continue to engage experts, government officials and stakeholders on additional protocols and procedures to protect the health and safety of our guests, crew and the communities we serve.  We appreciate the understanding and support of our guests and travel agent partners and look forward to welcoming them on board as the environment for travel and tourism improves.

Edited by marieps
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As of this typing (11:58am Monday May 4, 2020) my travel agent has not heard anything. I'm emailing her about another one in 2021, and she would have said something if she had heard about the July Summit.

Not saying it won't happen. But just that as of this moment nothing.

A quick look at some of the cruises they are offering out of Galveston starting in August visit ports in the Cayman Islands and the Bahamas, both of which remain closed to cruise ships. I think that planning by all cruise lines is based in large part on wishful thinking, including the hope that other countries will open up as quickly as the US.  

• Like 1

I think this is a best case scenario plan, at best. An uptick in cases over the summer, extended port closures, new CDC guidelines, etc. will all derail this plan real quick. 

I would also hate to be the lone cruise line that jumps the gun then has an outbreak right off the bat. It would be image suicide for the cruise line and the entire industry. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Thought it odd that CCL only announced cancellation through 8/31 for their Carnival brand.  Why not address Princess, HAL, Cunard, Costa, etc in unified manner.

I think the issue with their other brands is theyhave many more foreign port cruises especially in Europe and they don't yet have a handle of what's going on there. While we know early summer cruises in Europe are not happening their could be Northern Europe cruises late summer. 

Edited by kwokpot
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

I think the issue with their other brands is theyhave many more foreign port cruises especially in Europe and they don't yet have a handle of what's going on there. While we know early summer cruises in Europe are not happening their could be Northern Europe cruises late summer. 

Very true.  I do not think there will be any Mediterranean cruises for 2020, but Northern Europe could be a slim possibility.  Too many variables right now to even speculate

1 hour ago, cruisestitch said:

And why put it on the Celebrity board?

Simple.  Many of us are interested in what the other lines are doing, because it may come to pass that CLIA will act as one.  Many here have been clamoring for more transparency from X.  This is an example of how a competitor is responding.   Jeez.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

And why put it on the Celebrity board?

I think it could give some insight into what may come when RCL/Celebrity begin to phase in their operations.  I've noticed lost of cross referencing of cruise line information during the shut down.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

A quick look at some of the cruises they are offering out of Galveston starting in August visit ports in the Cayman Islands and the Bahamas, both of which remain closed to cruise ships. I think that planning by all cruise lines is based in large part on wishful thinking, including the hope that other countries will open up as quickly as the US.  

Bahamas is opening up to international visitors on June 15th according to a land based all inclusive vacation sight I looked into located in Nassau.  Of course no word on how this opening applies to ships...we will see.

3 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

Summit is sailing out of Boston after returning from the August TA (which I doubt will sail).

I do not think anyone will sail from New York or New Jersey until 2021. Carnival cancelled all cruises from New York for the rest of the year.. They all will follow .There's a lot the cruise line and CDC have arranged. but can not release at this time. Look at the cruise line stock . Some things will be kept close to the vest until  the last minute.Everyone is trying to stop the bleeding of money.The quicker they tell everyone about the no sailing ,the quicker the stock goes down and more people will be requesting refunds.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I think it could give some insight into what may come when RCL/Celebrity begin to phase in their operations.  I've noticed lost of cross referencing of cruise line information during the shut down.

You are correct. They all will follow similar operations in starting back. CLIA and the CDC do not give guidance for one cruise company, they give guidance for all.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kenevenpar said:

Port Canaveral

Bayonne

I'm not aware that Boston is a homeport?

Bayonne is covered above as Cape Liberty.

Port Canaveral is not a Celebrity home or departure port.

The Summit will sail 5 Fall 2020 and 5 Fall 2021 cruises from Boston.

34 minutes ago, traveline said:

I do not think anyone will sail from New York or New Jersey until 2021. Carnival cancelled all cruises from New York for the rest of the year.. They all will follow .

lol about no cruises for Carnival out of NY for the 'rest of the year':

carnival normally only sails out of ny till sept anyway.

heck, celebrity's last cruise out of NJ is aug 2. :classic_ohmy:

so 'rest of the year' for those 2 is kinda misleading and exaggerating the magnitude.

your prediction about no cruises from ny till 2021 still might come true but not because NCL  is following carnival's  lead for ny.

Edited by fstuff1

55 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Bahamas is opening up to international visitors on June 15th according to a land based all inclusive vacation sight I looked into located in Nassau.  Of course no word on how this opening applies to ships...we will see.

You've been peeking at the Sandals website again! :classic_biggrin:

I am sure that as soon as they can safely open the ports in the Caribbean they will.   It is almost their only source of income!  Puerto Rico is a problem because most of the working age population left the island after the hurricane.   They pretty much are left with the senior citizens and the children.

I have seen no info from NYC or Boston about port closures through the end of the year.

Portland is now closed through August.   All of this is subject to change as we don’t know where we are headed with this virus.

It appears Carnival is cancelling some cruises right through to November 1/20. Those ships affected appear to have their “North American” itineraries kicking in around October and November. The following list was taken directly from the Carnival Cruises website.

CANCELED CRUISES

• All San Francisco sailings through 2020
  • All Carnival Sunrise sailings through and including October 19, 2020
  • All Carnival Legend sailings through and including October 30, 2020
  • All Carnival Radiance sailings through and including November 1, 2020
  • All Carnival Spirit Alaska, Hawaii, & Trans-Pacific sailings through and including October 6, 2020
  • Carnival Breeze, Carnival Dream, Carnival Elation, Carnival Freedom, Carnival Horizon, Carnival Magic, Carnival Sensation, & Carnival Vista sailings through and including July 31, 2020
  • All Other Ships sailings through and including August 31, 2020