Celebrity pricing like it's a seller's market

twentyknots

11 hours ago, Dawg67 said:

Same with us.  We had our cruise out of Southampton canceled.  Took the 125% and tried to rebook the same cruise a year later.  Price jumped hundreds of dollars over the 125% plus loss of two perks.  Should have taken the refund and shopped around for another cruise.  Celebrity needs to rethink its policy to get loyal cruisers back.  We are elite but Norwegian is looking attractive at this point.

You have until December to take the refund.

Until cruising actually starts the prices mean little.   

10 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

They all seem to have this approach even as mind boggling as it is. They all must seem to think that the extra 25% FCC is camouflage to hike up cruises 50% on the ignorant and ill informed. All my cruises for 2021 and 2022 are up thousands since I booked.  

What I find appalling is that these companies are taking money for cruises that have no chance of sailing yet are either very slow, or not processing refunds.

18 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

That approach makes far too much sense.  Celebrity is not that good at customer relations.

We already have a FFC from the cancelled cruise that the OP was posting about. 
Our Fjords sailing on the Silhouette is  now approaching final payment, which we were never going to pay.
As we had booked the cruise while on board a previous sailing we were able to transfer the booking to the same itinerary in 2021, albeit with an extra sea day, same ship, and almost identical dates, as well. In addition we were able to keep the same perks, Celebrity even gave us a cabin upgrade. Even with all that the price we are paying is only within a few pounds of the original booking.

So they have done alright by us.

Edited by bluwes

While there may be future cruisers wishing to use their FCC's, the bigger question is - outside those with FCC's - will consumers be willing to continue to cruise given their financial situation?

A national poll conducted by Nanos Research in Canada, released this morning, indicates consumers plan a long term spending decrease. Ontario and Quebec have the highest % of the provinces with plans to decrease spending at 41% and 39%. A good portion of Canadians cruising come from these most populated provinces. 

Quoted - "sales of non-essential items could be thin gruel compared to the pre-COVID-19 world".

I suspect this Canadian result is mirrored in many places in the G20.

Celebrity's future cruise pricing may hit up against the reality of future cruise spending.

• Like 1

During the first week of March, we booked a Sky Suite on the Reflection for 3/26/2022. It was approx. $4600 for 2. 

I checked the price yesterday and it was approx $7100. Yikes. 

mac_tlc

While the prices at their current state seem rather high, one has to admire their confidence.  I think it would send an entirely different message if the prices were set at rock bottom prices.  Perhaps they will find a sweet spot after they actually start sailing again.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

What Celebrity should have done, rather than this charade, would be to allow people to merely transfer the booking, at the same price and with the same perks, to another similar cruise in the same cabin category.  So, say, if they cancelled your 14 night cruise in a Concierge cabin with two perks, they should allow you to move the booking to a later 14 night cruise in a concierge cabin with two perks with no additional cost...and, THEN, they should add something of value to make up for the fact that you've paid them in full for that cruise a year in advance.

Looks like you've gotten your wish!

https://www.celebritycruises.com/int/cruise-with-confidence

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Now this is off the table!

Thank you for sharing from X's website.... a place where many of us need to monitor regularly for any changes or updates before starting to ??????

bon voyage

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bo1953 said:

Now this is off the table!

Thank you for sharing from X's website.... a place where many of us need to monitor regularly for any changes or updates before starting to ??????

bon voyage

I think that's one of the BEST things any cruiseline has done in response to the virus and they should be applauded for doing a good thing for its customers.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ABoatNerd said:

While there may be future cruisers wishing to use their FCC's, the bigger question is - outside those with FCC's - will consumers be willing to continue to cruise given their financial situation?

A national poll conducted by Nanos Research in Canada, released this morning, indicates consumers plan a long term spending decrease. Ontario and Quebec have the highest % of the provinces with plans to decrease spending at 41% and 39%. A good portion of Canadians cruising come from these most populated provinces. 

Quoted - "sales of non-essential items could be thin gruel compared to the pre-COVID-19 world".

I suspect this Canadian result is mirrored in many places in the G20.

Celebrity's future cruise pricing may hit up against the reality of future cruise spending.

My guess is that there is a significant economic dichotomy between the retired and non-retired since the retired generally have not lost current income and investment portfolios generally were not as impacted because of lower stock allocations. So retired cruisers, such as my wife and I, will have extra funds for cruising in 2021 or 2022 due to the omission of cruise spending in 2020. This along with the abundance of FCC may sustain demand in 2021 and early 2022.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I think that's one of the BEST things any cruiseline has done in response to the virus and they should be applauded for doing a good thing for its customers.

I absolutely concur with you....

bon voyage

It's simple economics .

Celebrity's current pricing is no different than other retailers in order to maintain margins and ensure profitability .

However, as time goes on and inventory is higher than planned, price adjustments are made .

As we get closer to sailing , this will probably happen.

LOL-- It's like in Real Estate . 99% of Agents will list a property at any price the Sellers want , even if the price is way over market , in order to get the Listing . Then,  just keep  " working  'em down " . 

40 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

However, as time goes on and inventory is higher than planned, price adjustments are made .

As we get closer to sailing , this will probably happen.

This is why we have only booked after final payment for several years now, and don't anticipate there will be a reason to change the practice in the coming year or two.

Edited by OuiOnboard

So, does this mean if we've already had a cruise cancelled, we can re-book for next year under the same promotion?  Or is this for cruises that are currently still booked?  I'm reading it as the second, but sure wish it was the first!

ETA: Just re-read and appears it's for new bookings, so never mind  🙂 

Edited by hiccups

Looking to book something to go away for some and and beaches at the end of February. Best I can do is a balcony onThe Edge Sailing February 28, Cost with flights is $5500 Canadian Dollars.

I can book a 5 star all inclusive in Punta Cana for $3600 CND with flight.

At these prices can’t justify the difference to go on a cruise. 

If they don’t change the pricing it’s land based vacation for me and my better half.

I think that the current high prices further out are due to the ships already being half booked and the cruisers having a ton of FCC that needs to be spent.

I am seeing some good pricing on 2022 cruises.  I ended up with 4 perks on a cruise I rebooked.  

15 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I think that the current high prices further out are due to the ships already being half booked and the cruisers having a ton of FCC that needs to be spent.

I am seeing some good pricing on 2022 cruises.  I ended up with 4 perks on a cruise I rebooked.  

I booked an Australian Great Barrier Reef Cruise for February 2022 at the end of January. It is now $1000 higher. 

Which works out to just over 25% higher than I’m paying.

Edited by billyu

On 5/5/2020 at 7:12 PM, Mojogurued said:

Things are going through many shifts and changes over the next few years.  Who knows if Oceania and Viking Ocean will even be around.  What if X is planning to move more into the luxury market and these prices are just a reflection of that?

Interesting perspective. But, their pricing has to  match their products and services, so it's not likely X will move into Oceana territory anytime soon.

On 5/5/2020 at 10:12 PM, Mojogurued said:

Things are going through many shifts and changes over the next few years.  Who knows if Oceania and Viking Ocean will even be around.  What if X is planning to move more into the luxury market and these prices are just a reflection of that?

That seems backwards to me. I would normally expect the luxury market product to be available before they start charging luxury market prices. The car dealer hoping to sell Ferraris doesn't start charging Ferrari prices while he's still selling Chevys. 

10 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

That seems backwards to me. I would normally expect the luxury market product to be available before they start charging luxury market prices. The car dealer hoping to sell Ferraris doesn't start charging Ferrari prices while he's still selling Chevys. 

I know that Lexus, at least in my neck of the woods, isn't very interested in selling their cars, but other dealers are going a different way.  However, they will lease you one in a minute.  A friend decided to do it on a whim, and is now unhappy for the next three years.  So, I guess everything has their own strategy, but of course it might change in an instant.  Just keep looking, and of course post if you spot a deal!

You're right twenty-knots; we had a cruise back in March to the Caribbean, total cost was just over $6,000,  The same cruise, same itinerary, same cabin category, same [4] perks, for March 2021, cost: just over $10,000.  Starting to make a vacation at an all-inclusive resort sound very inviting .  

• Like 1