Refund from NCL Canceled cruise

On 5/7/2020 at 8:42 PM, Ms BumbleBee said:

I requested my refund today.  NCL was so excited that they sent me 28 emails confirming my request LOL.  I appreciate the enthusiasm.

I sent this note to my TA team also. 

Hi  xxxxx :

Thank You for submitting our refund request
  I guess they (NCL)  got the message for I got the below email response over 35 times  *funny*

--------- Original Message ----------
To:xxxxx
Date: May 7, 2020 at 12:16 PM
Subject: Cancellation Request Confirmation

Thank you.
Your request has been submitted successfully. Due to the volume of suspended sailings, please allow 90 days to process your request. We thank you for your patience during this time.
Norwegian Cruise Line Pre Cruise Guest Relations

Our cruise was scheduled to leave March 16th and was cancelled March 13. We put in the refund request on March 23rd. Like others we got FCC credited to our account(which we didn't ask for) while the refund waits. I didn't actually book this cruise until January 22rd which is still under 120 days so yesterday I told my credit card company everything and they have agreed  to start a chargeback. They have put a hold on the funds and now NCL has 14 days to dispute my chargeback or I get my money back, if they do dispute I will need to provide more evidence. My credit card company said they it should take no longer than 15 business days to process a refund if a company agrees you are entitled to it and 90 days was too long to wait.

I honestly have no faith NCL will ever process refunds for cancelled cruises I think they may just stall and stall until they go bankrupt. One thing about this financing they got to keep it afloat, it is NOT FINALIZED. the financing could still fall through.  

Edited by gradin123
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Our April 17 cruise was cancelled, and we requested a refund on April 15.  If we do not receive a refund by May 15 (which I doubt will happen) I will dispute the charge with my Costco Visa.  I believe that Costco Visa has a policy that if a service is cancelled or merchandise is returned, that the vendor has 30 days to provide a refund.  Yes these are extraordinary times, and NCL, needs the money, but so do we.  And 90 days in not reasonable.  

On March 6, the day that NCL announced the "peace of mind" policy where would could cancel our April 17 cruise for FCC, I immediately called NCL to cancel all of our shore excursions.  This was in anticipation that the cruise would be cancelled, and we weren't going even if they sailed.  The representative from NCL told me that we will get a refund on our Visa in 5-7 days.  Well 30 days later we still didn't get that refund.  I called Costco Visa and we had a provisional credit on our account a few days later.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lou33 said:

Our April 17 cruise was cancelled, and we requested a refund on April 15.  If we do not receive a refund by May 15 (which I doubt will happen) I will dispute the charge with my Costco Visa.  I believe that Costco Visa has a policy that if a service is cancelled or merchandise is returned, that the vendor has 30 days to provide a refund.  Yes these are extraordinary times, and NCL, needs the money, but so do we.  And 90 days in not reasonable.  

On March 6, the day that NCL announced the "peace of mind" policy where would could cancel our April 17 cruise for FCC, I immediately called NCL to cancel all of our shore excursions.  This was in anticipation that the cruise would be cancelled, and we weren't going even if they sailed.  The representative from NCL told me that we will get a refund on our Visa in 5-7 days.  Well 30 days later we still didn't get that refund.  I called Costco Visa and we had a provisional credit on our account a few days later.  

Why wait?  Just call the cc company and let them fight it out. That’s what your paying them for and one if the benefits. Use it or lose it

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sam Ting said:

Why wait?  Just call the cc company and let them fight it out. That’s what your paying them for and one if the benefits. Use it or lose it

I did that application for a refund on April 15.  I'm just trying to give them a reasonable time to process the refund, which I think is 30 days.

18 hours ago, Lou33 said:

I did that application for a refund on April 15.  I'm just trying to give them a reasonable time to process the refund, which I think is 30 days.

I'm hopeful but I don't think 30 days is possible.  That is why I started this topic, too see if anyone that requested in March from NCL cancelled cruises received any money yet, and so far no.

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 10:00 PM, Outerdog said:

Dude. It wasn't fake news. The problem with "fake news" is that people throw that term around when the information doesn't suit their narrative.

NCL themselves  said that reorganization was (still is) a real possibility. If you think that SEC filings are just some crap that companies throw out there, well, then I don't know what to tell you.

"our business and financial condition could be adversely affected and it may be necessary for us to reorganize our company in its entirety, including through  bankruptcy proceedings, and our shareholders may lose their investment in our ordinary shares."

Today, though, NCL was apparently able to secure $2.4B in additional liquidity, $400M of which was from private investments. The rest in market transactions. That's nice. They said it would keep them operating for another year or so. Money doesn't grow on trees so that money will ultimately end up in the fares, which will soon be even more outrageous than they already are.

A year is not a long time. The rose colored glasses of Cruise Critic sometimes see cruising returning to "normal" by September! First it was May, then June, then July. Let's see what happens next year.

It may not have been 'fake" but the sop called reporting of he story was VERY biased and made by someone who either has zero knowledge of the financial reporting requirements of a publicly traded corporation (or how to read such filings), or someone who just plain did not care and wanted to sell roe news based on unwarranted sensationalism and fear.  The filing in and of itself was actually very mild and caused little (if any ) concern among those who actually took the time to read and comprehend the entire document.  Sadly many uneducated see the word bankruptcy and panic.  They falsely equate bankruptcy with going out of business.

A year is a very long time for nay business to survive with zero revenue.  A business being in a position to be prepared to continue as a going concern even with a full year of zero revenue is rather impressive.

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 8:39 PM, gradin123 said:

Our cruise was scheduled to leave March 16th and was cancelled March 13. We put in the refund request on March 23rd. Like others we got FCC credited to our account(which we didn't ask for) while the refund waits. I didn't actually book this cruise until January 22rd which is still under 120 days so yesterday I told my credit card company everything and they have agreed  to start a chargeback. They have put a hold on the funds and now NCL has 14 days to dispute my chargeback or I get my money back, if they do dispute I will need to provide more evidence. My credit card company said they it should take no longer than 15 business days to process a refund if a company agrees you are entitled to it and 90 days was too long to wait.

I honestly have no faith NCL will ever process refunds for cancelled cruises I think they may just stall and stall until they go bankrupt. One thing about this financing they got to keep it afloat, it is NOT FINALIZED. the financing could still fall through.  

Actually the financing is a done deal.  Also "going bankrupt" does not equal going out of business.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

It may not have been 'fake" but the sop called reporting of he story was VERY biased and made by someone who either has zero knowledge of the financial reporting requirements of a publicly traded corporation (or how to read such filings), or someone who just plain did not care and wanted to sell roe news based on unwarranted sensationalism and fear.  The filing in and of itself was actually very mild and caused little (if any ) concern among those who actually took the time to read and comprehend the entire document.  Sadly many uneducated see the word bankruptcy and panic.  They falsely equate bankruptcy with going out of business.

No.

The relevant portion of the SEC filing and the direct quote from FDR have ZERO to do with biased reporting. YOU are misrepresenting FACTS. The SEC filing was not mild, and directly addressed the possibility of bankruptcy. It's not hard to comprehend.

No one in this thread has equated bankruptcy with going out of business. I'm not sure what you're on about there.

Screen Shot 2020-05-11 at 4.26.11 PM.png

I haven't received refund to the cancellation request made on February 7th. On that date, I was denied by their "NO CHINESE NATIONAL ON BOARD" policy. Any person who holds a Chinese/HK/Macau passport are not allowed on board regardless of residency, including guests and crew members. This lasted for about 10days, and my sail date was Feb 15th. So I was denied as a permanent resident in Canada who haven't been to China in years. 

They sent me confirmation email on Feb 10th saying cancellation confirmed and refund will be back to my credit card within 7 days. No money on the 8th day, I called again they said oh they meant 7 to 10 business days after the disembarkation date (Feb22nd). Waited another 10days still no refund, I called again and they said please wait another 2 weeks. 

No money back and I called again just before the pandemic declared, they said oh the accounting department has sorted out, I will have 4 multiple payments back to my account, each detailed to the $.01 and they add up to the $3906 CAD I paid for my cruise fare, and I will for SURE receive all of them on April 1st. 

I was such an April fool! Called again and the response is that any person who have not yet received refund after March 18th (no matter when you applied for refund), will receive refund within the 90 days after March 18th. And don't call again before that date because there is no more information. So the previous phone call about the accounting department was all BS. 

I am in the process of searching for legal advise now. I need my money back from this company who discriminates and lies. I highly doubt you could get refund after 90days, you better opt for the FCC. I wish to go on a cruise again after COVID19 settles, but I can't go with NCL because it hates all Chinese, that's why I must get my money back. 

On 5/10/2020 at 4:33 PM, Lou33 said:

Thank you for mentioning the credit card dispute. I called and process has started, but TD Credit Card (Canadian) gives NCL 90days to fight against the dispute.....What credit card company do you use?

10 hours ago, phire said:

I haven't received refund to the cancellation request made on February 7th. On that date, I was denied by their "NO CHINESE NATIONAL ON BOARD" policy. Any person who holds a Chinese/HK/Macau passport are not allowed on board regardless of residency, including guests and crew members. This lasted for about 10days, and my sail date was Feb 15th. So I was denied as a permanent resident in Canada who haven't been to China in years. 

They sent me confirmation email on Feb 10th saying cancellation confirmed and refund will be back to my credit card within 7 days. No money on the 8th day, I called again they said oh they meant 7 to 10 business days after the disembarkation date (Feb22nd). Waited another 10days still no refund, I called again and they said please wait another 2 weeks. 

No money back and I called again just before the pandemic declared, they said oh the accounting department has sorted out, I will have 4 multiple payments back to my account, each detailed to the $.01 and they add up to the $3906 CAD I paid for my cruise fare, and I will for SURE receive all of them on April 1st. 

I was such an April fool! Called again and the response is that any person who have not yet received refund after March 18th (no matter when you applied for refund), will receive refund within the 90 days after March 18th. And don't call again before that date because there is no more information. So the previous phone call about the accounting department was all BS. 

I am in the process of searching for legal advise now. I need my money back from this company who discriminates and lies. I highly doubt you could get refund after 90days, you better opt for the FCC. I wish to go on a cruise again after COVID19 settles, but I can't go with NCL because it hates all Chinese, that's why I must get my money back. 

This is very discouraging.  This gives me even less hope of getting my refunds timely.  I cannot speak for NCL but regarding "hates all Chinese" I thought that was because ports would not let ships in if they had anyone with a Chinese passport on board.  Many mistakes were made and incorrect assumptions.  I hope we can all cruise again soon.

5 minutes ago, AK Dreaming said:

This is very discouraging.  This gives me even less hope of getting my refunds timely.  I cannot speak for NCL but regarding "hates all Chinese" I thought that was because ports would not let ships in if they had anyone with a Chinese passport on board.  Many mistakes were made and incorrect assumptions.  I hope we can all cruise again soon.

Nope, for the whole time only two cruise lines employed "no Chinese on board" method, NCL and RCL. Other cruise lines like Disney and carnival didn't discriminate against Chinese. In those cruise lines it was well accepted that anyone, no matter your nationality, who went to China, HK, Macau for the 30 days (or 90 days) before boarding date cannot be allowed on board. This ruled out many Chinese, but didn't discriminate against us. You could be American and still be denied boarding because you travelled to Asia. 

Just think about it, even the crew members who works on board the whole time had to immediately get off the ship if they hold Chinese passports. So disgusting.

I will stay away from NCL and RCL in the future. 

For your own situation, my suggestion is to take FCC, because refund process makes your life miserable, not worth it. For every phone call I had, it took 1.5hours. And for the first few days after knowing the policy, I couldn't work just to think of how stupid I am to pay $4000 just to get discrimination. Best off for you to still sail when it is safe to do so. I  will fight for my refund, and use that money to purchase cruise of other companies. 

FB_IMG_1589292808753.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/9/2020 at 8:39 PM, gradin123 said:

Thanks for this, i have been wondering to call my CC company, and now gonna do the same.  90 days is awful!  Jet-blue just cancelled my flights associated with the cancelled cruise, they are offering me a total refund and the wait is only 14 days, which is much more respectable.

• Like 1

I was due to sail on Mch 26th and it was cancelled on the 13th.

My TA has now been told to wait a minimum of 120 days for a refund...this is in the UK and from the date my TA managed to request it (which was last week) so it will be about a 6 month wait for us .

Owed £5300.

4 hours ago, phire said:

Nope, for the whole time only two cruise lines employed "no Chinese on board" method, NCL and RCL. Other cruise lines like Disney and carnival didn't discriminate against Chinese. In those cruise lines it was well accepted that anyone, no matter your nationality, who went to China, HK, Macau for the 30 days (or 90 days) before boarding date cannot be allowed on board. This ruled out many Chinese, but didn't discriminate against us. You could be American and still be denied boarding because you travelled to Asia. 

Just think about it, even the crew members who works on board the whole time had to immediately get off the ship if they hold Chinese passports. So disgusting.

I will stay away from NCL and RCL in the future. 

For your own situation, my suggestion is to take FCC, because refund process makes your life miserable, not worth it. For every phone call I had, it took 1.5hours. And for the first few days after knowing the policy, I couldn't work just to think of how stupid I am to pay $4000 just to get discrimination. Best off for you to still sail when it is safe to do so. I  will fight for my refund, and use that money to purchase cruise of other companies. 

FB_IMG_1589292808753.jpg

I'm sorry, I had no idea that other lines had a different policy.  That is unacceptable.  Many mistakes were made.

38 minutes ago, AK Dreaming said:

Today is day 30 of my 90 day wait for my April Cruise.  Nothing yet. 60 days to go.  

Today is day 52 since I filled out the form. I've heard nothing either. I called last week and the rep said I was on the refund list and it was processing. I was assured it wouldn't take the full 90 days. Yeah, right..

Edited by adamnoone

On 5/9/2020 at 8:39 PM, gradin123 said:

Gradin123, are those the grades you completed???  the financing was completed, when you wrote this, and Bankruptcy doesn't just mean close the doors.  There are many different chapters and restructuring is the first.  Get real!!!!

3 hours ago, Cruising Chuck said:

Gradin123, are those the grades you completed???  the financing was completed, when you wrote this, and Bankruptcy doesn't just mean close the doors.  There are many different chapters and restructuring is the first.  Get real!!!!

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2020/05/06/2028430/0/en/Norwegian-Cruise-Line-Holdings-Ltd-Successfully-Secures-Over-2-Billion-of-Additional-Liquidity-in-Oversubscribed-Capital-Markets-Transactions.html

"Contingent on completion of the transactions, the Company expects to have approximately $3.5 billion of liquidity."

"When the transactions are completed, the additional liquidity alleviates management’s concern about the Company’s ability to continue as a going concern for the next 12 months."

Edited by gradin123