Refund from NCL Canceled cruise

We had Boston Bermuda booked 5/8/20.

on 3/11/20 I asked for refund of pre paid gratuities and up sell beverage package through my PCC. Told it would take 7-10 days. Not a dime yet.

on 4/14/20 requested refund of cruise. Of course nothing on that either. We are platinum plus, our first cruise was on the SS Norway. Have Pride of America booked in 2021. Losing hope for future cruising.

Brian

If I am not mistaken, this topic has already been discussed. If you have cancelled your cruise before an official statement, you wont receive a refund. I would check their cancelation policies just to be sure that there is not even a single chance for you to try to get it. Maybe there is some way out of this situation 

Hi, this cruise was cancelled by NCL after final payment. I requested refund via their email link. 

46 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

If I am not mistaken, this topic has already been discussed. If you have cancelled your cruise before an official statement, you wont receive a refund. I would check their cancelation policies just to be sure that there is not even a single chance for you to try to get it. Maybe there is some way out of this situation 

2 hours ago, drbeamer said:

We had Boston Bermuda booked 5/8/20.

on 3/11/20 I asked for refund of pre paid gratuities and up sell beverage package through my PCC. Told it would take 7-10 days. Not a dime yet.

on 4/14/20 requested refund of cruise. Of course nothing on that either. We are platinum plus, our first cruise was on the SS Norway. Have Pride of America booked in 2021. Losing hope for future cruising.

Brian

Same ... still nothing on 'refund' items.  FCC is in account though for the cruise portion.  It is very clear they are doing some calculated release of 'processing' refunds.

2 hours ago, gradin123 said:

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2020/05/06/2028430/0/en/Norwegian-Cruise-Line-Holdings-Ltd-Successfully-Secures-Over-2-Billion-of-Additional-Liquidity-in-Oversubscribed-Capital-Markets-Transactions.html

"Contingent on completion of the transactions, the Company expects to have approximately $3.5 billion of liquidity."

"When the transactions are completed, the additional liquidity alleviates management’s concern about the Company’s ability to continue as a going concern for the next 12 months."

you do SEE what I highlighted in YOUR above quote.  It is like agreeing to buying a house, getting all the documents completed, but just have not SIGNED everything at the closing office.  The financing was SECURED!!!!  NCL isn't going bankrupt.

5 hours ago, Cruising Chuck said:

you do SEE what I highlighted in YOUR above quote.  It is like agreeing to buying a house, getting all the documents completed, but just have not SIGNED everything at the closing office.  The financing was SECURED!!!!  NCL isn't going bankrupt

The process isn't as simple as buying a home it takes much longer but you do know that home sales agreed upon sometimes do fall apart in the.financing stage right? All I'm saying is don't be surprised if in a month or so some of this financing falls through and they use that as an excuse to delay refunds further.

Ultimately I dont believe that they have any intention of issuing refunds. Only FCC. They are just trying to stall people to avoid more chargebacks. Maybe I'm wrong but I decided it was no longer a risk I was willing to take.and decided to go the chargeback route.

Edited by gradin123

Our cruise was in the middle of the March and was cancelled by NCL, not us.  I decided to dispute the charges with my cc (credit card)  after to speaking with my cc company and confirming that services were not delivered by the merchant.   The cc company advise ME to dispute the charge.  Yesterday, NCL disputed that  charge reversal and told my cc company that I had a non-refundable fare.   They did not tell the cc company that THEY cancelled the cruise.  They also told the cc company they had issued a full future cruise cruise.  My cruise was several thousand.  My FCC is $176 (obviously a mistake, but that is what they are showing and telling me I have).  The cc company, Mastercard, then reinstated the charge on my card.  I called up the cc company and after a lengthy discussion, they agreed my charge should not have been re-applied.  Even so, now I have to provide written documentation with exhibits and proof, as they said similar to a legal case, in order to get the charged reversed again.

Edited by WeCruiseEveryDay

38 minutes ago, WeCruiseEveryDay said:

Our cruise was in the middle of the March and was cancelled by NCL, not us.  I decided to dispute the charges with my cc (credit card)  after to speaking with my cc company and confirming that services were not delivered by the merchant.   The cc company advise ME to dispute the charge.  Yesterday, NCL disputed that  charge reversal and told my cc company that I had a non-refundable fare.   They did not tell the cc company that THEY cancelled the cruise.  They also told the cc company they had issued a full future cruise cruise.  My cruise was several thousand.  My FCC is $176 (obviously a mistake, but that is what they are showing and telling me I have).  The cc company, Mastercard, then reinstated the charge on my card.  I called up the cc company and after a lengthy discussion, they agreed my charge should not have been re-applied.  Even so, now I have to provide written documentation with exhibits and proof, as they said similar to a legal case, in order to get the charged reversed again.

Hi, I just want to ask after your cruise had been canceled in March, did you apply for refund first, before dispute? 

I have been waiting for my refund since Feb 7th.... And only started to dispute two days ago. My CC company stated I only have one chance to dispute...I was never offered FCC because they would not give to me as a Chinese (thank God). I hope they don't tell my CC that they change their mind and will give me FCC...Because I will not accept it.

"Airlines must fully refund airfare to passengers whose flights have been canceled during the outbreak of Covid-19, the U.S. Transportation Department ordered on Friday"  is there some way the government can help you with the refund.

Hi, I just scrolled through another post here called "refund showed up?" Most people who cancelled in March haven't received it yet. However I did find at least 2 separate replies saying they received full refund in 1 or 2 weeks... (They cancelled in March too). 

I feel so unlucky that I cancelled in February and still haven't received refunds.

Our cruise was March 14th.  I believe we were notified of the cancellation on the 13th.  We disputed on the15th.  When NCL allowed everyone to ask for FCC or refunds ( I think this was a couple weeks later), we filled out the form requesting a refund.

17 minutes ago, WeCruiseEveryDay said:

Our cruise was March 14th.  I believe we were notified of the cancellation on the 13th.  We disputed on the15th.  When NCL allowed everyone to ask for FCC or refunds ( I think this was a couple weeks later), we filled out the form requesting a refund.

Do I understand correctly from your other posts that you cancelled a comped cruise under POM, before NCL cancelled? If so, you are only eligible for FCC for what you actually paid to NCL.  Not a refund, which is why NCL nixed the chargeback.

2 hours ago, WeCruiseEveryDay said:

I just started my dispute a week ago. But I did have to provide the emails NCL sent in which stated  they cancelled the cruise and said I could get a refund if I wanted. My CC Company said that NCL have 14 business days to dispute my claim. So far haven't heard back but it has only been 5 business days. It is disturbing though  that NCL is disputing chargebacks on cruises they know they cancelled. Perhaps another sign that they have no intention of actually giving refunds.

Edited by gradin123
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, gradin123 said:

It is disturbing though  that NCL is disputing chargebacks on cruises they know they cancelled.

If you no longer had a reservation when the cruise was cancelled, it doesn't matter that they ultimately cancelled the cruise.  Some people cancelled under POM, others cancelled with a penalty - neither are due a full refund.  Those appear to be the chargebacks that are being challenged.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, julig22 said:

If you no longer had a reservation when the cruise was cancelled, it doesn't matter that they ultimately cancelled the cruise.  Some people cancelled under POM, others cancelled with a penalty - neither are due a full refund.  Those appear to be the chargebacks that are being challenged.

I hope so. Yeah I didn't cancel, I waited for them to do. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

I was considering calling my credit card company, but for both of my cancelled cruises I have several charges.  First, my deposits, then my payments and then extras like shore excursions, insurance and add-ons.  Do I have to dispute every charge individually?

4 minutes ago, AK Dreaming said:

I was considering calling my credit card company, but for both of my cancelled cruises I have several charges.  First, my deposits, then my payments and then extras like shore excursions, insurance and add-ons.  Do I have to dispute every charge individually?

I am not sure about the insurance (I am guessing no for that), but all the others you tell them no service was provided. It can be done in one single call. 

What kind of insurance are you talking about, cancellation insurance?

34 minutes ago, phire said:

NCL cancelled on us the week before our cruise was to depart. Nearly immediately got FCC +25%. On March 23 we asked for full refund.  We did the CC dispute on May 4 as nothing had come back and personally 90 days for a  refund is ridiculous...we had to itemize each transaction on the CC and with that a total was created. Interestingly, this week NCL refunded us our prepaid OBC and a bday package meant for the cruise. I called the CC company back to remove those charges from the dispute. We are still waiting for the deposit, service charges, and cruise portion of our refund. Our CC said NCL has 10 weeks to reply to dispute. We will get money back from CC but we basically can't use it as it's temp until the matter is settled or 10 weeks... Whichever comes first. I had to send in proof they were supposed to refund me......Not sure if NCL will dispute this or not so still waiting...

1 hour ago, phire said:

I am not sure about the insurance (I am guessing no for that), but all the others you tell them no service was provided. It can be done in one single call. 

What kind of insurance are you talking about, cancellation insurance?

I had the NCL Platinum insurance.  I don't think that covers if they cancel?  I really do not understand how that works, but I heard that if they cancel you cannot use the insurance because they are giving you a refund.  So I guess it would come into play if I do not get my refund, but I did not apply for that refund until May 7th, so I wont' know until August 7th for sure.  

19 hours ago, jotjot said:

"Airlines must fully refund airfare to passengers whose flights have been canceled during the outbreak of Covid-19, the U.S. Transportation Department ordered on Friday"  is there some way the government can help you with the refund.

you have to remember that the airlines are governed by the US and cruise ships are not.  So they are under different rules

"The directive applies to domestic and foreign airlines for flights to, within, or from the U.S. People are also protected when an airline “makes a significant schedule change and the passenger chooses not to accept the alternative offered by the carrier,” according to the department."

NCL has no intention of refunding the monies that owed to us.  That is why we have been forced to demand chargebacks from the credit card companies.

NCLH stock was down to the 9 dollar range this week and will go lower as sailings do not resume until 2021 or when a vaccine is developed.  The CDC will not allow huge contaminations to resurface on cruise ships.  Been there, done that.  They have seen how recklessly the cruise lines behaved during the Covid-19 outbreak and they will not let it happen again.

The only way we will get our refunds is by forcing the credit card companies to do a charge back for services not rendered and goods not delivered.  NCL will not do it voluntarily.

NCL will never see my money again.

• Like 2

In March, when it became apparent that our cruise would be canceled by NCL, we requested a refund of prepaid gratuities for Beverage and Dining packages for our May 3rd cruise. I was told that $526 would be credited to our credit card "in 7 to 9 business days". It has now been two months and still no refund.

On April 13, after NCL officially canceled the cruise, we submitted the form on NCL's website for a full refund of the remaining balance. We received an email confirming the request, saying it would take up to 90 days to process the refund. Just for fun, I logged into my credit card account today, and guess what...still no refunds. Yes, I realize 90 days hasn't passed yet, but I guess I was hoping by some miracle they would have processed it.  

The waiting continues...

And again, just for fun, I checked the Royal Caribbean board to see if people are getting refunds. Many people have, indeed, received refunds...some with cruises scheduled for the end of May...a few weeks after our cruise.

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Thanks 1