Is it wrong to feel this way?

I was scheduled to sail Harmony on may 24th, but when RC canceled my cruise at first I was relieved because I was nervous about sailing during this pandemic, but for the past few days I've been a mixed bag of emotions , I've been sad and angry that we can't cruise...I wanted to take the the 125%fcc so that way I can be assured we will take another cruise but my spouse elected for the cash refund, and I know my spouse has no intentions of taking any of the refund and put it on another cruise.... so I doubt we will cruise anytime within the next few years. I'm sorry to sound selfish but it is like pulling teeth to get my family to take this cruise and now everything's canceled and I'm a little upset..... I know covid  19 is more serious than a cruise and my heart goes out to all who've been affected but am I wrong to be angry about all of this??

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Tntt said:

I was scheduled to sail Harmony on may 24th, but when RC canceled my cruise at first I was relieved because I was nervous about sailing during this pandemic, but for the past few days I've been a mixed bag of emotions , I've been sad and angry that we can't cruise...I wanted to take the the 125%fcc so that way I can be assured we will take another cruise but my spouse elected for the cash refund, and I know my spouse has no intentions of taking any of the refund and put it on another cruise.... so I doubt we will cruise anytime within the next few years. I'm sorry to sound selfish but it is like pulling teeth to get my family to take this cruise and now everything's canceled and I'm a little upset..... I know covid  19 is more serious than a cruise and my heart goes out to all who've been affected but am I wrong to be angry about all of this??

I had a cruise in June that was cancelled and another in November that may or may not happen.  Am I angry?  No - just very disappointed.  I am angry that this virus has killed people, caused financial hardships, disrupted lives, and is keeping me from spending time with my family, especially my 5 year old grandson.  I would trade every future cruise I might ever take to be able to have him and the rest of my family visit me without any restrictions.

Edited by mek
  • Like 11

You may be feeling selfish now but how would you feel if you jumped on a cruise too soon and had to be quarantined on the ship until you were allowed to disembark or got sick or if someone in your family died while on the cruise?  Everyone thinks it can't happen to them but then somehow it does.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 6

43 minutes ago, Tntt said:

I know covid  19 is more serious than a cruise and my heart goes out to all who've been affected but am I wrong to be angry about all of this??

You are entitled to your feelings no matter what they may be.  This virus has upset everyone's apple cart and it will take time to sort everything out.  

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

May I suggest you take a little from the cruise refund and address your concerns with a "qualified" therapist rather than looking for support from the CC armchair  quarterbacks. 

All problems can't be fixed on social media. 

• Like 1

Covid-19 has transformed the lives of hundreds of millions. The Olympic athletes, world leaders, movie stars, manufacturers, the travel industry, and you and I have had our lives disrupted.  

We know that our health and safety are paramount.

Disappointments in life usually affect us emotionally.  We have the added anxiety of uncertainty for the future.

No need to rush to plan another cruise--get your refund (someday!) and dream of another possible trip when life is more calm.

Cruises have been around for centuries so you will surely have the opportunity to take one again.  Best wishes!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tntt said:

Wrong to be angry? Hell no. Just don’t go crazy with a shotgun or anything. You are among friends here. We all understand how frustrating that must feel. 

• Like 4

I had a really great price on liberty I'm a little mad about losing. Its costing me extra to replace.

I agree with the above poster, everyone's feelings are valid. The virus just makes everyone uncertain of the future and doesnt help. Lots of us are disappointed our cruise was cancelled we looked forward to. I sure dont think you or I need a therapist because we all have various degrees of disappointment. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, zekekelso said:

Wrong to be angry? Hell no. Just don’t go crazy with a shotgun or anything. You are among friends here. We all understand how frustrating that must feel. 

Oh no, empathy is typically in short supply here. There will always be some here who will point out what a horrible and selfish person you are because you happened to mention some disappointment that you feel when someone else has things much worse than you. Showing a little vulnerability around here can be like putting blood in water with sharks around.

@Tntt it is perfectly fine, and normal, to feel disappointment. It is a very natural human emotion. Hopefully, a cruise is in your future.

• Like 11

Lord, some of you are awful.

You are never wrong to feel your own feelings. it doesn't matter if it was cancelled due to a pandemic or because the captain stubbed his toe. You are 100% entitled to feel disappointment in losing a vacation you worked hard for. 

Life is not binary. You can be sad for people whom have lost their jobs, their lives or lives of loved ones, and still also feel sad and disappointed about things you have lost even if they don't seem to match up in terms of value/worth.

Never let someone tell you that you aren't allowed to have your own feelings and never feel guilty for having them.

• Like 13

I just want to add that if cruising becomes an option again and you want to cruise, go ahead!

My spouse won't cruise. I've gone with my sister and solo and have a great time. You could find a friend or go by yourself wherever you want with whatever itinerary you want.

I've done plenty of solo trips to Disney as well as with others (sister, spouse, friend/2 daughters, friend/1 daughter) and it's really nice at times *not* being part of a group and being free to just do or not do whatever you want. I've always found wonderful folk wherever I travel to socialize with for a bit if I want company.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tntt said:

No you are not wrong.  Feelings are not right or wrong, they are just how we feel!  Many people cruise often so they mostly feel disappointment but they know that once this is over they will cruise again.  You on the other hand, this was a difficult accomplishment to get your family to agree to the cruise on May 24th and now that it is canceled you know that it will be a long time (if at all) before you can get everyone to agree to go again .  I understand how you feel.  I personally don't think that you are taking anything away from the seriousness of the pandemic we are in or how this is affecting people and their lives.  You are simply expressing your feelings.  

Not judging you at all. 🙂 Too much of that anyway these days.  Your feelings are yours and they are valid for you.  If you didn't care about what was happening to others, you wouldn't ask about whether your anger was wrong.  

We should be sailing with my aunt and older sister to Alaska in just over two weeks.  I was surprised that the two ladies are game for next year, so we opted for AK in 2021 and the FCC.  I would be sad if my husband wanted to stop cruising over this, and I'm a bit sad that we can't take the ladies this year.  Yes, others are suffering, and have lost loved ones, but that doesn't make my sadness either selfish or wrong. 

Take care.  I hope you get to sail again, sooner than you hope.   

• Like 1

Everyone has a right to their own feelings and no one should judge another for the feelings that they have.  People are annoyed enough at each other for things that people 'do' to each other, we have every right to the emotions when our lives are disrupted whether or not someone else agrees or not.    

Seriously y'all, telling someone their feelings of being mad about all this are not justified is an ***** thing to say.  What if someone told you that your feelings when something bad happens to you are selfish?  

OP, you feel any way you want.  I am right there with you about being upset at all the plans we've made being ruined in a snap. I have spent a lot of time, money, effort, and excitement on my ABC cruise that was supposed to happen on 4/19.  It was supposed to be a great trip for me.  2020 got off to a BAD start; nearly split from my husband, broke my foot, and some other mess literally all within the same 10 days.   Hubs and I are good and my foot is still having issues.  I needed that cruise.  I desperately need the 8/23 cruise I have scheduled.  Otherwise, my mental state might not handle it.  

At 85 & wife at 81 we dont have many more ( if any left) cruises and after 55+ cruises I guess we have seen our last. But we will will still hang in there as long as we can walk up the gangplank.

george & liz

• Like 4

You are not wrong to feel this way. It is very disappointing when plans get changed, regardless of the reason. Hopefully, someday you will be able to take the cruise when the situation is better. Hang in there.

Our extended family group of 10 had our May 3, 2020 Harmony cruise canceled....disappointed...yes...but we all took the 125% FCC and booked for May 8, 2021 Symphony and upgraded our cabins from JS's to One bedroom GS's....very happy with our decision.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tntt said:

Feel free to have whatever feelings you want.

Whole world is turned upside down.

Your love of cruising and hope for future now is not shared by your family.

Only natural to grieve.

I love the HOS as I was on the first 7 day out of FL back in 2016. Beautiful ship.

So I suggest you go onto You Tube with no one around you and look at the various videos for this ship. I think in the next 2 yrs you will get to meet this fine lady of a ship.

I have lost all my cruises from Apr to Sept in various cruise lines and 3 were in Europe. Hoping for Oct and Nov to still sail out of Fl and Cal.

Toodles 

18 hours ago, deepcman said:

May I suggest you take a little from the cruise refund and address your concerns with a "qualified" therapist rather than looking for support from the CC armchair  quarterbacks. 

All problems can't be fixed on social media. 

HOW RUDE.......buzz away now

20 hours ago, Tntt said:

Nothing wrong with being angry about losing your cruise.  We are supposed to be on Freedom this week, should be in Curacao right now.  I am sad we aren't there but am also stressed with the whole situation our world is in right now.  We all have to cope with this pandemic in our own way.  Some days are better than others and some days posting on this forum just makes things worse and some days it is a great outlet to vent and laugh at some of what is posted.  Hang in there.

19 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

You may be feeling selfish now but how would you feel if you jumped on a cruise too soon and had to be quarantined on the ship until you were allowed to disembark or got sick or if someone in your family died while on the cruise?  Everyone thinks it can't happen to them but then somehow it does.

This are pretty much my thoughts.  I keep thinking, "do you want the alternative?" when I see people protest, for instance. 

I agree, though, that I would feel angry if my cruise life went "poof" for several years.  It's an honest emotion.  However, reality takes over when you think about 20% unemployment, 100,000 people dead, how truly horrible and nasty this illness is even if you survive.  Then, I feel lucky and hug my husband.

• Like 1