HAL Not On CDC's List of Cruise Ship Crew Member Disembarkations

cbr663

The CDC is allowing crew members to disembark from cruise ships US waters and return home if cruise lines submit a signed attestation that they have complied with requirements to safely disembark their crew members.  HAL is noticeably absent from this list which can be found here:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/cruise-ship/cruise-ship-member-disembarkations.html?fbclid=IwAR0qXIRjcc-IcQDWm8-kOVwACPLLU5NG98l_zDSFa3ZTpd6w8kurFv3q_cs

Holland America is repatriating their crew to their home countries as I write this.  Zaandam and Nieuw Statendam are on their way now to Europe to take back those crew members whose homes are in Europe.  Both ships are due to arrive in Rotterdam on May 12th.  Other HAL ships are taking crew back to Asia, not sure which ones.  

Edited by sevenseasnomad
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Holland America is repatriating their crew to their home countries as I write this.  Zaandam and Nieuw Statendam are on their way now to Europe to take back those crew members whose homes are in Europe.  Both ships are due to arrive in Rotterdam on May 12th.  Other HAL ships are taking crew back to Asia, not sure which ones.  

To Europe:

Veendam

Zaandam

Nieuw Statendam

To Asia (Indonesia/the Philippines/Malaysia):

Maasdam

Rotterdam

Volendam

Amsterdam

Zuiderdam

Westerdam

Noordam

Eurodam

Nieuw Amsterdam

That leaves off Baja California:

Oosterdam

Koningsdam

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ski ww said:

That takes care of all the crew from Asia & Europe, what about any crew from North America?

What percentage of the crew do you think is from North America? Very little, if any, possibly some entertainers.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ine said:

Today Regal Princess will arrive in Rotterdam also with HAL crewmembers on board.

Regal Princess arrived with o.a. various HAL crewmembers. 

regal princess rtm.jpg

• Like 1

Since Oosterdam and Eurodam are still off Baja I'm betting the very abbreviated Alaska season will be just these two ships this year. Looking at a July 4 sailing from SEA on Eurodam and fares are not cheap. $2399 minimum for NS.

I have friends booked on the sailing and I don't think it has been cancelled yet.  Perhaps Canada will allow a stop in Victoria to satisfy PVSA.

26 minutes ago, frankc98376 said:

Since Oosterdam and Eurodam are still off Baja I'm betting the very abbreviated Alaska season will be just these two ships this year. 

Highly doubtful. 

Princess just now announced the following cancellations:

• All remaining Alaska cruises on Emerald Princess and Ruby Princess
• All remaining Europe and Transatlantic cruises on Enchanted Princess, Regal Princess, Sky
Princess, Crown Princess
and Island Princess
• Summer Caribbean cruises and all Canada & New England cruises on Caribbean Princess and Sky
Princess

• Summer to Fall 2020 cruises departing from Japan on Diamond Princess
• Australia-based cruises on Sapphire Princess and Sea Princess through August
• July cruises sailing from Taiwan on Majestic Princess
• Fall cruises sailing to Hawaii and French Polynesia on Pacific Princess through November 

Source: https://www.princess.com/plan/impacted-and-cancelled-cruises/

Scott. 

North American crew members on HAL are not yet disembarking. A recent article stated from HAL that the CDC requirements were too onerous to comply with. Those included having to charter flights or provide private transportation, but apparently the biggest problem is the cruise line executives must legally certify that the ship does not have an infection. Cruise leaders are hesitant to bind themselves legally to this. Just yesterday several cruise lines went ahead and made those certifications allowing NCL, Disney, and some RCL crew to schedule disembarkation. 

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/cruise-ship-crew-stuck-at-sea/index.html

I would bet the first step to getting North American crew off is to do a 2 week lockdown to verify there is no spread of the virus (which apparently they have already started). Since they just transferred some new crew to ships off the coast, I'm not sure if that 2 weeks would start again or whether isolation for individuals is sufficient.