Masks probably required

6 minutes ago, KsucAts said:

It may be a minor issue to you, but it is a major issue to me.  Especially if expected to wear it for an extended period of time.  

well I hope you realize they are going to become part of our outerwear for the foreseeable future. In fact, I am going to hazard a guess that they will be seen very often every flu season once this is over. 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Keep an eye on airlines, it might not be the cruise but the airline that makes you wear one. 

I really hope I get to take my cruise but I have a list of places within an 8 hr drive that I have been wanting to visit. I'm blessed to have such dilemmas.Canada seems to have VERY strict lock downs. I grew up In Michigan and they are really struggling. I say Daily, "I'm so glad I live in Florida"

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

thanks for sharing this. Sadly everyone is so divided on the mask issue and it is such a minor issue, I really don't get it. It is divided down political sides and that is the worst part. 

I don't want to wear pants or a bra but I do and don't feel my freedom is taken away from it. Those who don't want to cruise because of masks, fine, more room for us who don't care. 

My opinions have nothing to do with politics. If that is what you got out of the previous 38 pages of this thread I can understand how you would consider this a minor issue.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

well I hope you realize they are going to become part of our outerwear for the foreseeable future. In fact, I am going to hazard a guess that they will be seen very often every flu season once this is over. 

I happen to be watching the evening news right now. Apparently quite a few people see things somewhat differently than you.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

Now if I have to get a vaccine that is brand new to cruise, that is a different story. I probably will not be cruising until it has been proven safe for 6-12 months before I will take it. 

I actually see 6-12 months as too short a time frame for a vaccine that is being rushed in front of a political push.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I actually see 6-12 months as too short a time frame for a vaccine that is being rushed in front of a political push.

agreed. I just don't know how long I can go without cruising. It really is the best, most relaxing vacation I have found. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

I honestly doubt that.  It did not happen in 1918, and if you look at the amount of people out and about this past weekend without them, you can tell it will fade away eventually.  It will become a matter of choice.

• Like 1

I couldn't bear to read all 38 pages of mask comments.  we got the no mask crowd of 'muh freedoms' and we got the ones who love masks because 'orangemanbad'. That is not pleasant reading. I just don't get why it is anything but a minor issue. no shirt, no shoes, no service doesn't get me worked up. I don't see why a mask would. 

Shirts and shoes aren't uncomfortable and don't make it more difficult for me to breathe, eat, drink & talk and also don't fog up my glasses along with blocking part of my peripheral vision.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, KsucAts said:

Shirts and shoes aren't uncomfortable and don't make it more difficult for me to breathe, eat, drink & talk and also don't fog up my glasses along with blocking part of my peripheral vision.  

Not to mention getting contaminated with pathogens when you put them down which are then placed against your nose and mouth on applying the mask and providing more reason to have your hands near your face as you fiddle around with the thing.

• Like 3

I certainly do not want to see mask wearing as normal here in America. Having said that, during this pandemic, I am a supporter of wearing masks because of how they can mitigate this coronavirus we are currently dealing with. As for wearing masks during flu season.....never! We have never worn masks before during flu season so why should we start now? Just my thoughts.

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

Not to mention getting contaminated with pathogens when you put them down which are then placed against your nose and mouth on applying the mask and providing more reason to have your hands near your face as you fiddle around with the thing.

Exactly. There are so many reasons that masks aren’t “a minor issue”. It also makes it difficult to hear others and impossible to read facial reactions.

And just wait for crime to start to spike and suspects not being identifiable because they can walk around with a mask without anybody being suspicious. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, coffeebean said:

I certainly do not want to see mask wearing as normal here in America. Having said that, during this pandemic, I am a supporter of wearing masks because of how they can mitigate this coronavirus we are currently dealing with. As for wearing masks during flu season.....never! We have never worn masks before during flu season so why should we start now? Just my thoughts.

Now think about it. Plenty of vulnerable people have to do essential business during flu season and a flu shot is no guarentee of protection yet we don't wear masks. So why are we doing it now?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KsucAts said:

And just wait for crime to start to spike and suspects not being identifiable because they can walk around with a mask without anybody being suspicious. 

Lol, imagine someone walking into a bank wearing a mask three months ago!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, KsucAts said:

I make disposable masks out of paper towels, printer paper, tissue, rubber bands and staples. This mask was designed by a physician and he made 14 prototypes before he came up with the final design. The mask fits securely against my face and my husband's face with no gaps and settles along the bridge of my nose so there is no air leakage at all so I never have fogging of my glasses. Here is the video how to make this mask.........

10 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I carry a plastic sandwich bag to carry my mask when I'm out and about. I do not touch the inside of the mask which touches my nose and mouth. I handle only the outer edges of the mask which is no where near my nose and mouth.  A little practice to remove the mask without contaminating your hands is all anyone needs.

12 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

I carry a plastic sandwich bag to carry my mask when I'm out and about. I do not touch the inside of the mask which touches my nose and mouth. I handle only the outer edges of the mask which is no where near my nose and mouth.  A little practice to remove the mask without contaminating your hands is all anyone needs.

Ok......you would make a great surgeon. They are really good with masks. Us  medical folks not so much. Imagine that routine every time you take a sip of a drink on a ship.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

thanks for sharing this. Sadly everyone is so divided on the mask issue and it is such a minor issue, I really don't get it. It is divided down political sides and that is the worst part. 

I don't want to wear pants or a bra but I do and don't feel my freedom is taken away from it. Those who don't want to cruise because of masks, fine, more room for us who don't care. 

Sad isn't it, pants and bra are for decency, not wearing them even if you are ugly or disgusting is very different than not wearing a mask and being unknowingly aasymptomatic and transmitting a disease that will kill someone.   Even if you are strong and not a carrier, wearing a mask will protect you just a little bit at a minimum and maybe you don't get sick and take it back to your aged parents, or someone else that it might kill.    Funny how a little discomfort and inconvenience has become such a symbolism of freedom and strength, got to give POTUS a lot of credit there. 

On 5/24/2020 at 4:44 PM, Tree_skier said:

Here is science.

You must believe this or be anti - science

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/04/commentary-masks-all-covid-19-not-based-sound-data

See I can play the game too. 🙂

I'll post this again for all those folks who want to chime with an opinion but don't want to read the 40 pages of this thread.

I don't understand why so many people are anti-science.  Masks are unhealthy and do not prevent the disease.

That's science, if you believe differently is because you are acting and thinking ideologically and not critically.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

Herd immunity develops by people getting the disease. The point of masks and social distancing was to try  to not overwhelm the medical system. That has pretty much been accomplished.

Herd Immunity, well said. May never be a Vaccine or one that works. Many similar Outbreaks/Pandemics in past burn itself out after while, including SARS and the 1918 Influenza. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Whoever they might be is likely also the source of the Loch Ness Monster and Sasquatch.

As for masks...don't count on them required 24 X 7 nor everywhere. 

"They" are quantum physicists.   I don't think they are interested in the Loch Ness Monster or Sasquatch, but if they are, good for them.   There's more to life than what can be found in a science lab.  

Go ahead and do some research. It will give you something to do while you are hanging out on your couch. 

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I'll post this again for all those folks who want to chime with an opinion but don't want to read the 40 pages of this thread.

I don't understand why so many people are anti-science.  Masks are unhealthy and do not prevent the disease.

That's science, if you believe differently is because you are acting and thinking ideologically and not critically.

They are  all about the science  -  when it supports their point of view. 

On 5/23/2020 at 11:37 AM, broberts said:

The fact that people may have no intent to harm others does not relieve them of the need to behave in a manner that does not put others at risk.

If this is what you truly believe, then you better not drive your car, because you could be involved in a motor vehicle accident.  You shouldn't go out even after covid 19, because you might have another germ that could affect someone.  You shouldn't even be around anyone else at all, because accidents happen, and even if you didn't mean it, you could accidentally put someone else at risk.   I hear there are private islands for sale if you really wanted to live this way. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mallefiscent said:

"They" are quantum physicists.   I don't think they are interested in the Loch Ness Monster or Sasquatch, but if they are, good for them.   There's more to life than what can be found in a science lab.  

Go ahead and do some research. It will give you something to do while you are hanging out on your couch. 

Thanks...everyone loves a good joke.

Quantum physics has nothing to do with mask effectiveness.

In any case...cruising policies and techniques will govern the future, not urban legends or false prophecies.

Happy sailing.

3 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Thanks...everyone loves a good joke.

Quantum physics has nothing to do with mask effectiveness.

In any case...cruising policies and techniques will govern the future, not urban legends or false prophecies.

Happy sailing.

Nice way to side step.  lol

Happy sailing to you also.