TA Commission Protection so what about OBC

cruzsnooze

"Princess will protect travel advisor commissions on bookings for cancelled cruises that were paid in full, in recognition of the critical role they play in the cruise line's business and success."

Since Princess is protecting the commission to TA's for bookings that were paid in full shouldn't we get the perks promised (not their commission). I use a big box company and had a $900 OBC coming so shouldn't that still be paid to me when they get their commission?

Edited by cruzsnooze
typo

30 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

"Princess will protect travel advisor commissions on bookings for cancelled cruises that were paid in full, in recognition of the critical role they play in the cruise line's business and success."

Since Princess is protecting the commission to TA's for bookings that were paid in full shouldn't we get the perks promised (not their commission). I use a big box company and had a $900 OBC coming so shouldn't that still be paid to me when they get their commission?

I thought TAs were not paid their commission until after the passengers boarded the ship, not after payment in full was made.

1 hour ago, cruzsnooze said:

Not that I think you will ever see it, but if you do believe you are so entitled, then you should take it up with the TA.  It was the TA that was providing you the perk, not Princess 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, cruzsnooze said:

As many manhours as TA's (especially the big box) have had to dedicate to cancelling, rebooking and tracking down people's credits, they've had to work a lot harder for that commission.   I wouldn't be surprised if they're actually losing money on some bookings.

Edited by Kenswing
  • Like 2

This is why I use an agent who discounts "up front" and not in OBC.

I completely agree that you should bring this up with your "agent". It is not Princess's issue.

I am guessing many agents are not making much money this year. Many will go out of business.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 4

We understand your issue, we booked under a sale that provided a substantial OBC and added the upgaded perks (drink package/WiFi/Grat) if we book the same cruise for next year with upgraded perks the price is almost $2000pp more and we lose $1000 obc, guess we will have to wait and watch.

We also have a Celebrity Cruise in July, with their cruise with confidence guarantee, we will get same price and all perks as long as we book the same cruise next summer, we will lose nothing if/when they cancel this one.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 2cruizinfools said:

We understand your issue, we booked under a sale that provided a substantial OBC and added the upgaded perks (drink package/WiFi/Grat) if we book the same cruise for next year with upgraded perks the price is almost $2000pp more and we lose $1000 obc, guess we will have to wait and watch.

I didn't book under any sale. I booked full price with a big box TA who gives the OBC.  It has nothing to do with the cruiseline. My thought was the big box TA should issue a gift card for costco since they are getting their commission. Why should they keep my portion that they had no intention of keeping.

3 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

So you want your refund + $900....good luck with that. I'm sure just a small portion of the OBC the TA planned on giving you came out of their commission. Don't hold your breath.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Karlzmom said:

Fyi.  We received our "post-cruise" benefit from our big box travel service for our cruise that was cancelled by Princess.

Was this a gift card to your big box store?  If so, did you receive it after the date of your cruise?  Just wondering as I booked two cruises with the big box store and I don't remember anything being said about a "post-cruise" benefit that would be coming to me.  I find it surprising that they would do such a thing --- nice if they did, but seems odd.

I guess I'm not stating this clearly. I booked a cruise through a big box TA. They make a commission which is none of my business. Out of their commission they give me an OBC which was to have been $900.  Princess cancelled my cruise but is still paying the full commission to the TA. So now the TA gets what they originally planned to receive before they gave me an OBC. The TA big box gets to keep my portion which they never expected to receive. 

As an example:

Cruise $20,000

TA commission $2000

TA gives me $900 OBC

TA keeps $1100

Now TA gets to keep all $2000 because I didn't cruise due to Princess' cancelling 

I think I should get at least a gift card to shop at the big box store which won't even cost them $900 due to their profit margin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My opinion: OBC is for on board use. Princess is offering you FCC are they not, when they cancel?  What Princess gives TA is between them. Next booking ask TA for another OBC. Mine gives me nothing, just a better fare up front. 

5 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I thought TAs were not paid their commission until after the passengers boarded the ship, not after payment in full was made.

Princess pays commission a few weeks after final payment is made.   

1 hour ago, Boatdrill said:

Princess pays commission a few weeks after final payment is made.   

Usually that's the case but not now. For all cancelled cruises Princess put this out in print and in their video....

8 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

When you rebook, you will have the opportunity to find an agency offering the OBC or perks you will not be using on the cancelled cruise. And likely some Princess FCC as well.

I for one do not give a flying fig about the over $3000 OBC we would have gotten on our B2B 42 day South Pacific and Panama Canal trip.  Did not take the trip, therefore no way to spend the money.  If the TA gets to keep their commission, well, maybe that will help them stay in business.

What I DO give a flying fig for is getting my refund for the cruise.  Partial FCC received, no money.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

I guess I'm not stating this clearly. I booked a cruise through a big box TA. They make a commission which is none of my business. Out of their commission they give me an OBC which was to have been $900.  Princess cancelled my cruise but is still paying the full commission to the TA. So now the TA gets what they originally planned to receive before they gave me an OBC. The TA big box gets to keep my portion which they never expected to receive. 

As an example:

Cruise $20,000

TA commission $2000

TA gives me $900 OBC

TA keeps $1100

Now TA gets to keep all $2000 because I didn't cruise due to Princess' cancelling 

I think I should get at least a gift card to shop at the big box store which won't even cost them $900 due to their profit margin.

If you get a full refund, you are not out anything. It is that simple.

• Like 7

14 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

I asked my Big Box company and the first response was we didn't get the full commission, so no refund for you.  Upon my FCC posted to my account, I called big box to transfer FCC to new cruise (which was now cancelled), I was promised $425 OBC on 2nd cruise ($210 first cruise).  When I applied the 175% FCC to my 2nd cruise my $425 went to $0, when I called back to inquire.  I was able to get the $210 applied to new cruise but told Princess is taking the 175% FCC and applying it against new cruise fare so my $5500 cruise fare is not only $600, but TA commission is now like $11.  So, big box did get commission from cancelled cruise paid in full, and they should get it on the 2nd cancelled cruise but it will be very little.  I have no idea how round two will work since I made final payment on Saturday.  Hang in there everyone.

12 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

So you want your refund + $900....good luck with that. I'm sure just a small portion of the OBC the TA planned on giving you came out of their commission. Don't hold your breath.

Exactly. Hard for many people to understand how things work.

• Like 1

Reading this thread, whoa, I never in my life would think I'm going to get OBC for a cruise I'm not taking.  My Sky Grand Adventure had close to $600. on it, I cancelled right before final was due.  Princess has now cancelled and if I had paid, there is no way I would be expecting the OBC, why?   What am I missing here?

• Like 3

11 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

As an example:

Cruise $20,000

TA commission $2000

TA gives me $900 OBC

TA keeps $1100

Your analysis is logical.

i am not sure if the TA gets 100% of the commission, but let’s assume that they do.  I would guess the Princess’s purpose of protecting the commission is goodwill to a valuable business partner.  It pays the TA for the effort that they put into to booking.  Princess is certainly wishing for them to stay in business. You situation may be slightly different if it is a big warehouse type of business.  Kind of hard to make a point that you worked for your OBC.  

I personally would not ask for a TA to share this goodwill with me.  But if I received a FCC for a future cruise, I would expect the TA to base my OBC on the full price and not net out the FCC.  This certainly will not work if you use a different TA.  Perhaps your Big Box TA will be reluctant to offer this.  You could use this as an negotiation point.

it is not really an issue for me with Princess, I always get my TA “OBC” as a discount on the cruise.  But with Celebrity bookings, my TA gives me refundable OBC.

12 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

As an example:

Cruise $20,000

TA commission $2000

TA gives me $900 OBC

TA keeps $1100

Actually,  you stated your issue clearly ... you need to work it out with your TA ... that's who offered the OBC

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Your analysis is logical.

i am not sure if the TA gets 100% of the commission, but let’s assume that they do.  I would guess the Princess’s purpose of protecting the commission is goodwill to a valuable business partner.  It pays the TA for the effort that they put into to booking.  Princess is certainly wishing for them to stay in business. You situation may be slightly different if it is a big warehouse type of business.  Kind of hard to make a point that you worked for your OBC.  

I personally would not ask for a TA to share this goodwill with me.  But if I received a FCC for a future cruise, I would expect the TA to base my OBC on the full price and not net out the FCC.  This certainly will not work if you use a different TA.  Perhaps your Big Box TA will be reluctant to offer this.  You could use this as an negotiation point.

Glad somebody sees the logic.  It makes sense that when I use the huge FCC I ask the big warehouse style TA to reapply that OBC that they were already paid for. Thanks for the suggestion, I hadn't thought about when I rebook using the FCC.  The TA won't have their normal commission on a FCC booking so I'll try to negotiate from the standpoint of their having already received their commission. This big membership warehouse TA isn't struggling to stay in business, in fact their retail store is doing better then usual with all the hoarding going on. 

Edited by cruzsnooze

17 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

Why stop at just $900 more than you paid? Both Carnival Corporation and Norwegian seem to now be borrowing money paying double digit rates of interest. Did you forget to ask for interest added to your refund? 

Everyone else posting would be very happy to get their refund back, but you seriously want your money plus $900 back. I hope you realize it's not happening.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

Not that I disagree with you in any way but I think your expectations are...adorable.

"Adorable" works but I think that our southern neighbors might say, "Bless your heart". 😎

• Like 3
  • Haha 2