British Columbia announcement today - BC closed till 2021

az_tchr

I posted this in another post, but this article:

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/northwest/washington-states-once-bustling-border-towns-and-islands-fall-silent-due-to-coronavirus-pandemic/

Had this quote.   B.C. has 67% of Washington’s population, but only 14% of the Covid-19 deaths.  I don’t think my cousins in Vancouver are that anxious for me to pop in and visit anytime soon. 

F8DDF001-F573-4EAE-A4A9-7C69DF63D55C.png

Edited by Prost Seattle
  • Like 1

^ We love our American neighbors, just like you love us. 😊 But I think it may be another few months at least before our Prime Minister opens the (international, therefore federal) border between our two countries.

Here is an article from CBC, a trusted source, concerning cruise ships in BC this summer - 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/b-c-health-officials-say-cruise-ships-not-welcome-this-summer-1.5567086

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Prost Seattle said:

I posted this in another post, but this article:

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/northwest/washington-states-once-bustling-border-towns-and-islands-fall-silent-due-to-coronavirus-pandemic/

Had this quote.   B.C. has 67% of Washington’s population, but only 14% of the Covid-19 deaths.  I don’t think my cousins in Vancouver are that anxious for me to pop in and visit anytime soon. 

F8DDF001-F573-4EAE-A4A9-7C69DF63D55C.png

CBC just announced a one month extension of the non-essential border closure.  Also Trudeau stated that BC would decide when the BC / Washington State border would open.  BC could decide to keep its borders closed longer.

There are rural areas from Montana to North Dakota and Alberta to Manitoba with little to no COVID.  Those areas certainly could open sooner.

Certainly clear there will not be an Alaska cruise season this year.  Hopefully Celebrity will provide an announcement that cancels cruises that obviously cannot happen - even if beyond 30 days.

Edited by az_tchr

3 minutes ago, az_tchr said:

There are rural areas from Montana to North Dakota and Alberta to Manitoba with little to no COVID.  Those areas certainly could open sooner.

Ya not so much, the whole border stays closed. So buddy from Minnesota decides he wants to see Lake Louise in Alberta, Canada. So he packs up the family Suburban and drives west to Montana and crosses the Canadian border there because it is open. Now he and the family decide that maybe they should see the Pacific ocean, so to the west they go, over the Rockies west towards the ocean. They get as far as Revelstoke when he and his wife both start feeling poorly, it gets so bad they go to the local medical center and it seems that they have Covid 19 and have crossed the partially open border.

No thanks, we'll try and contain the problem here and when all of the United States get their crap together then we should renew our open border travel policy, until then we'll stay home and you can stay home. And should we leave Canada we can expect to follow the isolation/quarantine rules that are in place at the time of our travel.

We all know the Alaska cruise season is dead for 2020 so that is a moot point. I think that the summer is lost for international travel. I think travel restrictions will ease by the end of August. The border may open before then but not without restrictions.

• Like 7

I doubt very much if there will be any Canada/New England cruises this year also.  Canada will take their time before allowing US visitors to cross over.  This is a good thing for Canadians and Americans.

• Like 6

57 minutes ago, az_tchr said:

CBC just announced a one month extension of the non-essential border closure.  Also Trudeau stated that BC would decide when the BC / Washington State border would open.  BC could decide to keep its borders closed longer....

Could you please provide the links to these statements? Thank you.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

I doubt very much if there will be any Canada/New England cruises this year also.  Canada will take their time before allowing US visitors to cross over.  This is a good thing for Canadians and Americans.

New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island have 0 active cases and have had 0 deaths. Nova Scotia has 47 active cases and has had only 55 deaths. None of these provinces want external visitors, especially from a country leading the world in cases and deaths.

On the other hand, Quebec leads Canada in active cases (27,604) and deaths (3,562), so why would anyone from the US or elsewhere want to visit Quebec any time soon.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Langley Cruisers said:

^ We love our American neighbors, just like you love us. 😊 But I think it may be another few months at least before our Prime Minister opens the (international, therefore federal) border between our two countries.

Here is an article from CBC, a trusted source, concerning cruise ships in BC this summer - 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/b-c-health-officials-say-cruise-ships-not-welcome-this-summer-1.5567086

I am totally fine with not getting off the ship in Vancouver.   Though not sure how that will work since our only "Canadian port of call" is our turn around day.  I am only most likely one of a handful that is staying on for the return to Seward on my B2B.  😮 

But I am also 99% sure my B2B Alaska cruises will be cancelled soon.  

Edited by island lady

On 5/17/2020 at 3:00 PM, az_tchr said:

CBC just announced a one month extension of the non-essential border closure.  Also Trudeau stated that BC would decide when the BC / Washington State border would open.  BC could decide to keep its borders closed longer....

TODAY (May 19), the announcement was made that the Canada-US border would remain closed for one more month. It was not announced several days ago as OP suggested. I am concerned about his/her comments about various things and that OP has not come back to verify/clarify them. This is how rumors and false information spreads - please be diligent when posting on these message boards.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/border-canada-us-closed-1.5575214

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Langley Cruisers said:

TODAY (May 19), the announcement was made that the Canada-US border would remain closed for one more month. It was not announced several days ago as OP suggested. I am concerned about his/her comments about various things and that OP has not come back to verify/clarify them. This is how rumors and false information spreads - please be diligent when posting on these message boards.

Thank you for posting the most recent and up to date info. 

• Like 3

On 5/6/2020 at 9:10 PM, Seacruise said:

Just to clarify something, John Horgan is Premier of British Columbia . The Prime Minister of Canada is The Right Honourable Justin Trudeau.
It is like calling the Governor of Arizona The President of the United States. 🙂 .

And Yes BC is closed this fall so no cruises period going to Hawaii or Japan.... Oh yes and if the border does open you will be required to do a 14 day quarantine.

So why is Celebrity still booking??

14 minutes ago, foxnan said:

So why is Celebrity still booking??

Money, money, money...We have a cruise booked for September out of Vancouver. Our final payment date is June. I fully expect Celebrity will not be cancelling the cruise before our pay final payment due date. Like your August cruise. Celebrity will wait approximately 30 prior to the sail date before making the decisions to cancel or not. 

Edited by davekathy

9 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Money, money, money...We have a cruise booked for September out of Vancouver. Our final payment date is June. I fully expect Celebrity will not be cancelling the cruise before our pay final payment due date. Like your August cruise. Celebrity will wait approximately 30 prior to the sail date before making the decisione to cancel. 

Oh yeah, I remember that song!!  OH no....another one stuck in my head!!  😮 

Lyrics
Money, money, money
Must be funny
In the rich man's world
Money, money, money

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, island lady said:

Lyrics
Money, money, money
Must be funny
In the rich man's world
Money, money, money

10 minutes ago, island lady said:

Lyrics
Money, money, money
Must be funny
In the rich man's world
Money, money, money

1 hour ago, Langley Cruisers said:

And is there anything anywhere that actually says, specifically, that the borders will be closed longer, or that BC will not allow cruise ships at all this season?  I suspect strongly that will be the case, but most of what I see includes words like "until further notice" or words of that meaning.  I know the handwriting is on the wall for sure, but some cruise lines (like Celebrity apparently) will not cancel until the actual declaration is made that no Canadian, BC specific, or Alaska ports will be open to cruise ships.  If someone has that info in writing somewhere I would appreciate a link.  

• Like 1

Governor Dunleavy announced yesterday, he believes we will be heading into Phase 3 Reopening in a few days...

Even w/ moving forward w/ the state reopening - the 14-Day quarantine (for anyone entering the state) was extended until June 2nd.

It's possible the quarantine may be extended again...

In the meantime, activities & lodging are reopening across the state, I leave you with this NPR article:

While The Tourists Are Away, Alaskans Will Play

https://www.npr.org/856171287

Edited by Von & John
  • Like 4

Great NPR article. Enjoy the serenity of your beautiful state this summer. Great place for a staycation if you live there!

We'll be back next summer with our $$$ and all the calamity we bring! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

And is there anything anywhere that actually says, specifically, that the borders will be closed longer, or that BC will not allow cruise ships at all this season?  I suspect strongly that will be the case, but most of what I see includes words like "until further notice" or words of that meaning.  I know the handwriting is on the wall for sure, but some cruise lines (like Celebrity apparently) will not cancel until the actual declaration is made that no Canadian, BC specific, or Alaska ports will be open to cruise ships.  If someone has that info in writing somewhere I would appreciate a link.  

LOL. So, the Prime Minister of Canada announcing the extension on national tv isn't good enough, you want it in writing too? Here's and article reporting on it from a US perspective. I'm sure that if you check the State Department website in a few days you'll be able to find a US source of written confirmation.https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/18/politics/extend-border-and-travel-restrictions-coronavirus/index.html 

9 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

LOL. So, the Prime Minister of Canada announcing the extension on national tv isn't good enough, you want it in writing too? Here's and article reporting on it from a US perspective. I'm sure that if you check the State Department website in a few days you'll be able to find a US source of written confirmation.https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/18/politics/extend-border-and-travel-restrictions-coronavirus/index.html 

Guess the complainers do not watch television or read the Times Colonist.  I have no idea how to post a bloody link to what I watch on TV or the Colonist.  On Fox TV News it was stated the US had agreed to lift export restrictions on PPE and extend the border closing another month.  This was a day or two ago.

2 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

And is there anything anywhere that actually says, specifically, that the borders will be closed longer, or that BC will not allow cruise ships at all this season? ....  ....

I understand the frustration, but the article on the announcement was not meant to include cruise ships - simply that the Canada-US border will be closed to non-essential travel for one more month. This was announced this morning by the leader of our country.

1 hour ago, az_tchr said:

Guess the complainers do not watch television or read the Times Colonist.  I have no idea how to post a bloody link to what I watch on TV or the Colonist.  On Fox TV News it was stated the US had agreed to lift export restrictions on PPE and extend the border closing another month.  This was a day or two ago.

You don't have to be rude; no one is complaining. I simply asked for your source, is all. You have internet, and probably all of the newspapers in the world are online as well. Posting a link from a news website is very easy, actually:

Open the article or piece you want to quote in another browser window.

Go up to the top to find the URL or "link" (it usually contains www. or .com). Put your cursor (the little arrow) over that link and click on it - it may turn blue.

Right-click and look for the word "Copy"; click on the word "copy" and then move back to where you were typing before - where you want to put that link, like on this page in a message.

Right click and you will see the option "Paste". Click on that and the URL or link will appear. People reading your post will then be able to click directly on it and be taken straight to that "page". It's one of the ways we share information online and provide verifiable sources instead of just taking someone's word for it. 😊

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Langley Cruisers said:

I understand the frustration, but the article on the announcement was not meant to include cruise ships - simply that the Canada-US border will be closed to non-essential travel for one more month. This was announced this morning by the leader of our country.

You don't have to be rude; no one is complaining. I simply asked for your source, is all. You have internet, and probably all of the newspapers in the world are online as well. Posting a link from a news website is very easy, actually:

Go up to the top to find the URL or "link" (it usually contains www. or .com). Put your cursor (the little arrow) over that link and click on it - it may turn blue.

Right-click and look for the word "Copy"; click on the word "copy" and then move back to where you were typing before - where you want to put that link, like on this page in a message.

Right click and you will see the option "Paste". Click on that and the URL or link will appear. People reading your post will then be able to click directly on it and be taken straight to that "page". It's one of the ways we share information online and provide verifiable sources instead of just taking someone's word for it. 😊

How do you post a link to a tv news show?

As Fouremco stated and for the last time.

Horgan and the head of the provincial health department were on TV.  They announced a 4 phase plan.  Ok so far?

International tourists and gatherings of more than 50 are not welcome until 

24 minutes ago, Langley Cruisers said:

Since you don't want my posts they have now stopped.  If you can tell me how to post a link to TV from Vancouver please let me know.  Posting the BC Restart plan from the Colonist?  Really.  Read it.  Do you want a link?  Not until Phase 4 that begins in September or later will large gatherings or international tourism resume.

That certainly makes cruising impossible until Phase 4.

Trudeau stated that BC will decide when it opens its borders on TV.

Yes the ports in BC are open, you just cannot get off a ship without a 14 day quarantine.  

As for the border remaining closed longer - the agreement was signed either yesterday or today.  The agreement in principle, however, was completed last week.  Do you need the email I received from my Congressman last week?  At that time the US agreed to remove export restrictions on PPE.  This was on both CNN and NBC TV over the weekend.   I have been trying to reunite family caught on both sides of the border.

Guess you will want a source for the email I received that Celebrity will announce an extension of cancellations tomorrow.  Sorry.  Already agreed not to.

Um, wasn't it already stated some time ago that Canadian ports were closed to cruise ships until at least July first...no?

So the port is NOT open to cruise ships whether passengers get off the ship or not. I really don't know why the Canadian Government doesn't just make the blanket statement that Cruise ships will not be operating on the west coast this summer.

The only reason a cruise ship will be allowed would be if it was scheduled for work in one of our shipyards.

This thing started with an erroneous statement and has had many attempts by many people who live in Canada and a few of us that live in British Columbia to set it straight. Fouremco is in Ottawa (our nations Capital) and he has tried to add another voice of reason and still there are posts about some cruise involving some Canadian port or other.

I would suggest that if you have a Celebrity Cruise Scheduled for the west coast involving a Canadian port then  you should lift and shift for next year.

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Von & John said:

Governor Dunleavy announced yesterday, he believes we will be heading into Phase 3 Reopening in a few days...

Even w/ moving forward w/ the state reopening - the 14-Day quarantine (for anyone entering the state) was extended until June 2nd.

It's possible the quarantine may be extended again...

In the meantime, activities & lodging are reopening across the state, I leave you with this NPR article:

While The Tourists Are Away, Alaskans Will Play

https://www.npr.org/856171287

Nice article!  Thanks for sharing!  🙂 

We are still booked for two weeks land tour on our own, with a cabin B&B booked in your home town.  I love that little restaurant downtown (can't remember the name), but had a nice big deck outside.  

Have paid final on first of our B2B August Radiance, but waiting until final day for second leg (on Saturday).  If both legs are cancelled (and very frustrating waiting for official word)...then we are going to Homer for a couple of weeks as replacement.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1