Jump to content

BCSays no international travellers


Recommended Posts

The Premier of B.C. has stated there will be no international visitors and only essential visitors allowed from other parts of Canada to the province. I guess all cruise lines can say good bye to Alaska cruises this year. The border between the USA and B.C. will remain closed except for essential services. tourism is not an essential service according to the Premier..  

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, no fuss travel said:

The Premier of B.C. has stated there will be no international visitors and only essential visitors allowed from other parts of Canada to the province. I guess all cruise lines can say good bye to Alaska cruises this year. The border between the USA and B.C. will remain closed except for essential services. tourism is not an essential service according to the Premier..  

I think most  cruise lines have already abandoned  the Alaska season  this year

 

 What is  an essential visitor??

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, PirateShark said:

Do you have a link for this news?

Try CBC.ca or bctv.ca. It was on the news tonight and we watched the

Premier his speech at 3pm our time. This is only the second time our premier has spoken to the province. He has left it to Dr Bonnie to determine what is best for our province and she has done an excellent job.  I think he is the only leader that I know of who has left the handling of the virus to the expert and has not made false statements about the virus

Link to post
Share on other sites

To add a little to the discussion. Our Premier said that to open the border we had to see that the other side had their situation successfully managed. I can't recall his exact wording but I took him to mean that the virus had to be really shut down. At the moment we impose 14 day quarantine unless essential workers such as truck drivers. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, no fuss travel said:

He has left it to Dr Bonnie to determine what is best for our province and she has done an excellent job.  I think he is the only leader that I know of who has left the handling of the virus to the expert and has not made false statements about the virus

BC is being very cautious opening up (note we have always been more open than other jurisdictions). We have been so fortunate to be guided by our Chief Medical Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry supported by our Minister of Heath Adrian Dix. Just go to YouTube and search Dr Bonnie Henry to view how press briefings should be (there have been more than 50) - factual based on science, empathetic, transparent, honest, trustworthy, etc. Her words "Stay Safe, Be Calm, Be Kind".

 

PS Disappointed I didn't get an order for the Dr Henry Fluevog. 😞 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, no fuss travel said:

The Premier of B.C. has stated there will be no international visitors and only essential visitors allowed from other parts of Canada to the province. I guess all cruise lines can say good bye to Alaska cruises this year. The border between the USA and B.C. will remain closed except for essential services. tourism is not an essential service according to the Premier..  

 

10 hours ago, PirateShark said:

Do you have a link for this news?

 

10 hours ago, no fuss travel said:

Try CBC.ca or bctv.ca. It was on the news tonight and we watched the

Premier his speech at 3pm our time. This is only the second time our premier has spoken to the province. He has left it to Dr Bonnie to determine what is best for our province and she has done an excellent job.  I think he is the only leader that I know of who has left the handling of the virus to the expert and has not made false statements about the virus

 Any restrictions on international travel aren't made by a provincial government  in Canada or a state government in the US. International travel is controlled by national governments, not local. I'm sure all your premier was doing was reiterating the international travel restrictions set by your national government.

 

Here are Canada's rules:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html

Edited by njhorseman
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Any restrictions on international travel aren't made by a provincial government  in Canada or a state government in the US. International travel is controlled by national governments, not local

True however The BC Medical Officer's order that all persons entering from outside of Canada must quarantine for 14 days still stands. This is MANDATORY. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Does this mean that there will be no international flights into Vancouver at all from the US or anywhere?

That could mess up travel plans for anyone flying to/from Asia connecting at YVR.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Does this mean that there will be no international flights into Vancouver at all from the US or anywhere?

That could mess up travel plans for anyone flying to/from Asia connecting at YVR.

Checked current YVR departures & arrivals and found a couple of international flights to/from a couple of US and Asian cities.

 

This is the current YVR COVID 19 update (note Canadian borders are currently closed to foreign nationals).

https://www.yvr.ca/en/updates/covid-19-update-2

 

Once border restrictions are eased would suspect availability of flights will be dependent upon airlines offering the flights. I also think that our province will not be rescinding the mandatory 14 day quarantine but may allow in transit connections where passengers will not be entering the general population. This quarantine measure was introduced very early and has been very successful at helping us to control the outbreak. Note these are just my thoughts and I do not have any proof that this will be the situation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LJRVancouver said:

True however The BC Medical Officer's order that all persons entering from outside of Canada must quarantine for 14 days still stands. This is MANDATORY. 

 

Right...but I was reacting to the OP's thread title of "BC Says No International Travelers" and the start of the post, which says" The Premier of B.C. has stated there will be no international visitors". Those are false statements. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Just got an email from Oceania offering a slew of discounted cruises going to Canada starting in July. Many start or end in Vancouver! 😂

They will probably be in the next round of cancelled cruises 😉

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

They will probably be in the next round of cancelled cruises 😉

 

 

Sell them this week and cancel them in two! But hey, they’ll give you a FCC! Is this really good business practice ! 😂

Edited by pinotlover
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, pinotlover said:

Sell them this week and cancel them in two! But hey, they’ll give you a FCC! 😂

have you tried to book one?

They are not going to remove them from the listings  until they are ready to cancel just like the previous cancellations

Link to post
Share on other sites

be prepared for the same issues to take place with all Sept/October

Montreal/Boston/NewYork sailings--------not just with Oceania but everyone----and all of these Cruises are still up for sale.   Caveat Emptor!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...