NSW police questionnaire

10 hours ago, Idratherbeatsea said:

Received email today from the New South Wales Police requesting info on our Feb/March sailing of the Ruby Princess. Everything from cabin number, dinner table number, who was at our table. Also wanted passport and drivers license number. Questions were about Covid-19 and Princess’s actions.

Anyone else? They were interested in timeframe of Feb24-March 19

First step ring the NSW Police and see if it is genuine. And what it not be the Australian Federal Police pursuing this sort of thing?

5 hours ago, Potstech said:

I would take the practical way out - Press the "Delete" button and go about my business. If they want this information that bad they can come get it in person.

That is my non lawyer advice for others.

Would stay with using the "Delete" button. How can you be sure the link is legitimate? There is no contact information or identification of that link. Something seems very shakey about this whole thing.

11 hours ago, Idratherbeatsea said:

Received email today from the New South Wales Police requesting info on our Feb/March sailing of the Ruby Princess. Everything from cabin number, dinner table number, who was at our table. Also wanted passport and drivers license number. Questions were about Covid-19 and Princess’s actions.

Anyone else? They were interested in timeframe of Feb24-March 19

We were on the Ruby Princess March 8-March 19.  We did not receive any email from New South Wales Police.    

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, t&atravel said:

Just as an fyi, the questionnaire itself is NOT sent by email.  The link takes you to what looks like secure police portal.  We would not be sending personal info by email. 

B887D2E1-AB76-45FA-BDCE-142EC3115BD7.png

Why does it say cruise critic community at top of form?  How did they get your email? Did you post email address on roll call?

39 minutes ago, t&atravel said:

Just as an fyi, the questionnaire itself is NOT sent by email.  The link takes you to what looks like secure police portal.  We would not be sending personal info by email. 

B887D2E1-AB76-45FA-BDCE-142EC3115BD7.png

It doesn't matter what the site looks like. Reminds me of going back to school when I was in my early 40's. A kid I worked with had a deal with his parents that he would maintain a certain GPA. If he failed to maintain that level of GPA he would have to go to the local school instead of CSUC.  He made a page that exactly mimicked the CSUC site where parents could check on student progress. It was perfect in every detail. He sent his parents a link to the site so they could "monitor his grades". Needless to say he used totally bogus stats as he wasn't maintaining the required GPA.

Websites can look legit and not be legit. I can't imagine giving anybody my passport and driver's license info on some unknown site.

12 minutes ago, dog said:

Why does it say cruise critic community at top of form?  How did they get your email? Did you post email address on roll call?

It says CC community because I was on the boards when I opened the link.  It’s just showing the two websites I have open. It was a screen print of my iPad. 

Also for info purposes NSW is trying to sue Princess as they say Princess was not forthcoming about illness when the final ruby cruise docked (the one following ours). There is more discussion about this on the NZ/Australia boards.  Based on the questions asked they are trying to gather information to be used against princess.  Such as, were there announcements about covid-19 and about handwashing and was there “extra” cleaning being done onboard, etc. 

All the "expert" responses here are not worth much as apparently no one bothered to check before opening their mouths.  The key to email scams is to not click on any links on the email itself and independently of the email, go directly to the website of the entity in question, be it the US IRS or the Australian NSW or what have you. 

And if you do so you can see this on the NSW secure website:

https://portal.police.nsw.gov.au/questionnaire/s/ruby-princess-passenger-questionnaire

You can even call or email the police directly to confirm if you like, all from a simple search:

If you wish to speak with Police directly, Please use the following contact details:

Phone: Crime Stoppers - 1800 333 000

Email: sfbast@police.nsw.gov.au

You can also see a similar crew questionnaire:

https://portal.police.nsw.gov.au/questionnaire/s/ruby-princess-crew-questionnaire

And from the news:

"An electronic survey will be sent to more than 5,500 Australian and international passengers who sailed on the Ruby Princess between February 24 to March 8; and March 8 to March 19."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-17/nsw-police-probe-ruby-princess-voayges-question-passengers/12156940

or:

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6726207/police-sift-through-ruby-princess-surveys/?cs=14231

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/latest-news/police-sift-through-ruby-princess-surveys/news-story/31d9a3a50a1b776706c4654e108d5dff

or:

https://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/368289/ruby-princess-australian-police-to-survey-5000-passengers

• Like 1

I still would not give them my driver's license number of my passport number. None of their freaking business and I wouldn't trust the security of their systems.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I still would not give them my driver's license number of my passport number. None of their freaking business and I wouldn't trust the security of their systems.

Absolutely. How did they get email address?

5 hours ago, Daniel A said:

E-mail is notoriously not a secure form of communication.  It is not encrypted and almost any middle school student has the ability to hack and read e-mails.  (Even Princess' corporate e-mail system got hacked recently.)  Never share any personal information in response to an unsolicited e-mail.  Even if this e-mail does actually come from NSW Police, it is certainly an amateurish attempt at soliciting investigative information.

This exactly!  Whether this is a legitimate investigation or not, you should never share something like a passport number, driver's license number, or other personal information via email.  Please don't do this.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dog said:

How did they get email address?

From Princess, of course!!!  If you would have gone to The Australian newspaper link I provided above:

"Last week they [the NSW] seized the ship's black box" <<<

And in a full-page advertisement in the newspaper, Princess Cruises said "it fully supported all police inquiries into the debacle" and would provide all available information.  The ship is connected to 19 deaths in Australia alone and Princess will do anything to not be found criminally negligent including providing ALL the information they have about the passengers, information that many here would consider personal.

1 hour ago, bluesea321 said:

And if you do so you can see this on the NSW secure website:

https://portal.police.nsw.gov.au/questionnaire/s/ruby-princess-passenger-questionnaire

That site doesn't look like it is encrypting personal data as it is being filled out and may not be encrypting it in storage. Although it is a secure site, in the US we when we upload documents on secure sites they encrypt the data.  They should provide fill-able PDF document that is encrypted on upload and stored encrypted.  If I was on the sailing I would be willing to give them data if the data was encrypted and stored encrypted. They need a better system for that much personal information.

A-

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, janabelle61 said:

This exactly!  Whether this is a legitimate investigation or not, you should never share something like a passport number, driver's license number, or other personal information via email.  Please don't do this.

Geeshh...  Like "t&atravel" said above, the information is not shared by email but by going into the secure portal of the Australia NSW police.  One can ignore the complete request if desired or assist with the investigation and leave off the passport number or any other info.  They got the Passport number from Princess anyway whether folks here like it or not (the minute anyone steps into a foreign flag ship one is subject to the laws of that flag, not the US).  Keep in mind that anything anyone provided to Princess is on that black box the police seized. 

1 minute ago, bluesea321 said:

They got the Passport number from Princess anyway 

exactly ... so why ask for it again ?

just answer, if you want,  the questions and move on without providing any personal information which they aleady have 

and what's the deal with the DL # - do we even present that to Princess ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, t&atravel said:

I would assume they got my email from Princess. I’ve attached the email (if I did it right).  The questionnaire link is embedded in the email. I did not attach that.

87FEB8C0-963C-4D06-9F9E-DB4DFC7434E3.png

Yes, cruise ships are required to give a list of passengers and their contact details to authorities before passengers disembark, to enable the authorities to contact passengers, in cases, such as this, where other passengers have the corona virus.  Similar requests are sent to passengers who have flown on the same plane, as someone who tested positive to the virus.  

I'm wondering whether the attached questionnaire was meant to be sent by mail, as most people wouldn't provide personal details requested by email. 

If you have any concerns, I'd contact NSW Police Force, as I know an enquiry is underway. 

3 minutes ago, voljeep said:

exactly ... so why ask for it again ?

just answer, if you want,  the questions and move on without providing any personal information which they aleady have 

and what's the deal with the DL # - do we even present that to Princess ?

Well... if you look at the form you can see that the DL # is not starred, i.e., "not required".  And regarding your other questions, just think a bit.... the NSW needs to confirm that you are who you say you are and thus the answers you provide are valid.  Otherwise anyone could fill out the form, even those that were not on the sailing.

As The Australian article states:  "Police will then conduct interviews with those who give noteworthy responses, with a team of 30 detectives being led by the state's homicide squad."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Potstech said:

How can you be sure the link is legitimate? 

View the SSL certificate.

See if you trust who ever issued it, and if the site it was issued to is what you expected.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

Otherwise anyone could fill out the form, even those that were not on the sailing.

OK, I'll provide Booking # and go from there

Disclaimer: of course, we were not on the cruise(s) in question ...

I remember times when I had to present all this in order to fly a plane. I mean we live in a world where terrorist attacks became too common and I totally agree on additional supervision. As long as I will feel safe on board I dont mind any such measures 

19 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I'm wondering whether the attached questionnaire was meant to be sent by mail, as most people wouldn't provide personal details requested by email.

Again, the information requested is not sent to the NSW by email.  The email from the NSW directs the paxs to a secure portal of the police where one can fill out the form if they so wish.  That is a big difference.

The brokerage firm I use sends me occasional emails which prompt me to log on to their secure (and encrypted) portal using 2 factor authentication.  To reiterate they send me emails but no one replies to the emails with personal info, we go into their secure encrypted portal, a critical difference.

Edited by bluesea321
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

Again, the information requested is not sent to the NSW by email.  The email from the NSW directs the paxs to a secure portal of the police where one can fill out the form if they so wish.  That is a big difference.

The brokerage firm I use sends me occasional emails which prompt me to log on to their secure (and encrypted) portal using 2 factor authentication.  To reiterate they send me emails but no one replies to the emails with personal info, we go into their secure encrypted portal, a critical difference.

Thanks. Yes, I saw that after I sent my response.  Makes sense.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

View the SSL certificate.

See if you trust who ever issued it, and if the site it was issued to is what you expected.

Very good point, thanks...   Attached is part of the certificate of the NSW questionnaire portal (much more if one scrolls down), looks all legit to me.  What do you think?  (for those that do not know, to see it on Chrome click on the lock icon, then certificate, and then details).  And BTW the site is encrypted.

Certificate.png

As a Canadian I would contact the RCMP headquarters for province or territory . Ask the to inquire of the NSW police if they sent the email. Not living in Australia , you live outside their jurisdiction. Only a Canadian Police officer request that information on behave of the NSW Police. Any request has to go thru Canadian Foreign Affairs office .

• Thanks 1