Cancelling Excursions on a Cancelled Cruise

dickinson

My July 1 cruise (Enchanted) has been cancelled by Princess now for several weeks.  Besides my FCD I have some $$ spent on excursions (final payment didn't pass yet).  I have read of other people (on other ships) going on their personalizer and cancelling their excursions.  I went to my personalizer and see the "button" that says "cancel".  What happens if you click on it?  I have never cancelled a prepaid excursion before.  I figure if I cancel it then I should have some proof to submit to my credit card company instead of waiting months and months for Princess.  Does something pop up on the screen that I can print out to submit to my cc company?  At this point my upcoming voyage still shows but when I click on the green excursion button it says there are no excursions.  At the port stops where I have already reserved I can see what I reserved so there is that cancel button.

Also, does anyone think that cancelling them will screw up my FCD being posted back to my account?

Thanks.

You won't get any confirmation that you cancelled.  I've had to cancel several excursions and had the same concerns, but called Princess and they are able to look up the booking and see the amount of refund from the cancelled excursions.  I would recommend keeping a copy of your Travel Summary with the excursion confirmations so you have some documentation.  

In the past when I've had to cancel excursions it took about 10 days to get the refund to my credit card.  But now all bets are off given the huge glut of refunds they are processing.  

Edited by Paula_MacFan

I wish that I had read your suggesting before cancelling my excursions.  My cruise was cancelled yesterday and I cancelled my excursions this morning.  I did not print my booking confirmation before cancelling.  As you said, I did not get a cancellation confirmation.  Nor does it look like I received a booking confirmation when I originally booked the excursions.

I will give Princess a couple of months, then I will follow up.  

Thank you, good advice.

Edited by jagoffee

We cancelled a pre-paid excursion a few weeks ago. No confirmation that we cancelled and no sign of the money yet (I have to say, I thought a refund of a basic CC transaction would almost be automated - Princess seem to do things in quite a long-winded way!). 

Yes it is annoying that when you cancel a shorex in your Personalizer there is no cancellation confirmation generated or emailed as proof. Hopefully Princess will make this possible someday. I have done it many times and the refund posted to my credit card within a few business days, although I think now it will probably take much longer. 

I didn’t cancel any of our excursions, prepaid specialty dining or chocolate covered strawberries. PVP said it would all be refunded. I did print my travel summary and am patiently waiting for all funds to be refunded. I don’t need them refunded, they could have been moved to another booking, but PVP said that’s how they are doing it.

1 hour ago, jagoffee said:

I wish that I had read your suggesting before cancelling my excursions.  My cruise was cancelled yesterday and I cancelled my excursions this morning.  I did not print my booking confirmation before cancelling.  As you said, I did not get a cancellation confirmation.  Nor does it look like I received a booking confirmation when I originally booked the excursions.

Thank you, good advice.

Since you don't have your Travel Summary, you might be able to save the generic excursion description with corresponding prices.  That way you could match it up with your credit card charge, in the (hopefully unlikely) event you need to file a credit card dispute or need further documentation.  I just went to Princess' website and was able to see the same excursions with prices for my cruise from the general search feature.  It's better than nothing, good luck 🙂

4 minutes ago, jennybenny said:

I didn’t cancel any of our excursions, prepaid specialty dining or chocolate covered strawberries. PVP said it would all be refunded. I did print my travel summary and am patiently waiting for all funds to be refunded. I don’t need them refunded, they could have been moved to another booking, but PVP said that’s how they are doing it.

In the past they have been very quick to refund pre-paid items like excursions or specialty dining.  I wouldn't be surprised if many people cancelled those items on their own without waiting for Princess to do it, on the hope that those refunds would come quicker.  If the other threads are any indication, those of us impacted by yesterday's announcement will be waiting for many months on our cruise refunds 😞

• Like 1

I canceled a shore excursion for a cruise that’s still slated to go this winter. Usually you cancel, there’s no confirmation, and then within hours to a day, your cc is credited back. This time, shore excursions are being refunded in the same timeframe as other refunds, so 60 days. I learned that by contacting Princess; I had assumed since my cruise was still a go, the refund would be automatic, but no.

Been a while since I cancelled anything on Princess but thought I got emails confirming the cancel in the past (that might have been Royal, since they are always running sales with lower prices).  Cancelled four excursions last night for Pacific Princess French Polynesia, no emails so far.  Will see when/if the credits post.  In our case we paid via a Future Cruise Deposit, so should only be getting $400 back and our TA will apply those to some future cruises we have booked.  Might not get the OBC, unless the FCD gets redeposited and then credited to a cruise we don't already have an FCD on.

Was surprised Princess is cancelling so far out.  This was a trip we really were looking forward to.  Still have to cancel hotels and airfare.

8 hours ago, jagoffee said:

Thank you, good advice.

Call Princess and ask them to email your confirmations. Pretty sure they'll do that for you.

• Thanks 1

I cancelled ours also, and have wondered for two weeks if I should have.  Thought it might have been refunded more quickly than waiting for the sail date (July) and then at least 60 more days. 

2 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Call Princess and ask them to email your confirmations. Pretty sure they'll do that for you.

They will not.  I have cancelled several and never gotten any confirmation, and I have called and asked.  

I printed out my travel summary so I can see all the excursions and their prices.  My problem is that some of the excursions were paid with OBC and some with $$$.  I know at least one was paid with a little of each.  I guess I would have to call my credit card company to see if I can dispute the charges even though my paperwork doesn't totally match up.  

4 hours ago, dickinson said:

I printed out my travel summary so I can see all the excursions and their prices.  My problem is that some of the excursions were paid with OBC and some with $$$.  I know at least one was paid with a little of each.  I guess I would have to call my credit card company to see if I can dispute the charges even though my paperwork doesn't totally match up.  

How long have you been waiting for your excursion refund?  I figure after a reasonable amount of time, a dispute would be an option.  But I would not think that this would be necessary.

3 hours ago, jagoffee said:

How long have you been waiting for your excursion refund?  I figure after a reasonable amount of time, a dispute would be an option.  But I would not think that this would be necessary.

We are waiting for a FCD we cancelled on March 20.  We knew we would not use it before expiration.  We also had a July 1 cruise on the Enchanted cancelled by Princess.  That is the one with the shore excursions.  I think it will be many months for that one... assuming they don't run out of money before they get to us! 😞

3 hours ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

I don’t understand why you wouldn’t just pull the credit card statements to get the exact amounts?

I didn't realize that was all that was needed.  My dh called credit card company about something else and asked about disputing.  The rep said she would wait til after the cruise line's deadline passed 😞  When dh told me this I told him she is wrong based on everything I have read on here. I also told him their time frame keeps changing.

Edited by dickinson

11 hours ago, dickinson said:

I also told him their time frame keeps changing.

Princess has cancelled cruises in three phases, the most recent being phase 3 cancellations announced a couple of days ago.

Princess claims that all phase 1 cancellation were processed by the end of April.

Phase 2 cancellations will be processed starting May 31 which is the deadline for those affected by the phase 2 cancellations to select their option.

Phase 3 cancellation options are to be selected by June 15. They will be processed starting then or after the phase 2 are completed, whichever is later.

I am not sure if these time frames apply to those who cancelled on their own nefore Princess announced their cancellations.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, caribill said:

Princess has cancelled cruises in three phases, the most recent being phase 3 cancellations announced a couple of days ago.

Princess claims that all phase 1 cancellation were processed by the end of April.

Phase 2 cancellations will be processed starting May 31 which is the deadline for those affected by the phase 2 cancellations to select their option.

Phase 3 cancellation options are to be selected by June 15. They will be processed starting then or after the phase 2 are completed, whichever is later.

I am not sure if these time frames apply to those who cancelled on their own nefore Princess announced their cancellations.

Ours was in phase 2 when they paused through June 30 but also included several July cruises of the Enchanted.  Because we hadn't paid final yet, we don't have to fill out any form as there is no "choice".  We have a FCD and then the amounts we paid out via credit card for excursions.

When you originally paid for the excursions, you should have received an email receipt from Princess.  Did you keep those?  I copy the emails and keep them in folders that I've set up on my computer for every trip.  They are sent from noreply@princess.com with a subject of Onboard Reservations Payment.

27 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

When you originally paid for the excursions, you should have received an email receipt from Princess.  Did you keep those?  I copy the emails and keep them in folders that I've set up on my computer for every trip.  They are sent from noreply@princess.com with a subject of Onboard Reservations Payment.

Are you sure?  Does it matter if you are booked with a TA?

I thought this was the process, but I cannot find my e mail.  I know it works this way on other cruise lines.

I will just use my credit card statement if I do not receive the refund.

Thanks

8 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Are you sure?  Does it matter if you are booked with a TA?

I thought this was the process, but I cannot find my e mail.  I know it works this way on other cruise lines.

I will just use my credit card statement if I do not receive the refund.

Thanks

I book through a TA and have a bunch of email receipts from Princess up through and including charges made in February.  Maybe folks delete them or perhaps they go to junk folders.  There is always the credit card statement but these email receipts can at least tie those charges back to a specific cruise.  Sample attached.  image.thumb.png.db657da55b207ca3af8e92e494799113.png

Edited by azbirdmom

5 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

I book through a TA and have a bunch of email receipts from Princess up through and including charges made in February.  Maybe folks delete them or perhaps they go to junk folders.  There is always the credit card statement but these email receipts can at least tie those charges back to a specific cruise.  Sample attached.  image.thumb.png.db657da55b207ca3af8e92e494799113.png

I do get e mails from Princess and I have them in my folder.  Perhaps I deleted  them by mistake.  Part of my excursion was paid with my OBC, but I paid the balance.  I had one excursion for each cruise.  

Thank you for the clarification.  

• Like 1

On 5/7/2020 at 6:09 AM, dickinson said:

My July 1 cruise (Enchanted) has been cancelled by Princess now for several weeks.  Besides my FCD I have some $$ spent on excursions (final payment didn't pass yet).  I have read of other people (on other ships) going on their personalizer and cancelling their excursions.  I went to my personalizer and see the "button" that says "cancel".  What happens if you click on it?  I have never cancelled a prepaid excursion before.  I figure if I cancel it then I should have some proof to submit to my credit card company instead of waiting months and months for Princess.  Does something pop up on the screen that I can print out to submit to my cc company?  At this point my upcoming voyage still shows but when I click on the green excursion button it says there are no excursions.  At the port stops where I have already reserved I can see what I reserved so there is that cancel button.

Also, does anyone think that cancelling them will screw up my FCD being posted back to my account?

Thanks.

I printed a copy of my booked excursions and then cancelled them on a cruise that was canceled.  I got the credits on the credit card I used to book them on the next month.  I am still waiting for Princess to credit me for the cruise which was supposed to sail in the beginning of April.

10 minutes ago, cmh said:

I printed a copy of my booked excursions and then cancelled them on a cruise that was canceled.  I got the credits on the credit card I used to book them on the next month.  I am still waiting for Princess to credit me for the cruise which was supposed to sail in the beginning of April.

Thanks for the info.