The short term future of swimming pools

There is a thread discussing the use of face masks and peoples thoughts on that but does anyone have any insight into what will happen with swimming pools? 
Will they be closed for a period of time? The same goes for water slides and hot tubs?

No one can possibly know what the on board experience will be and you can bet that Royal Caribbean won't give any heads up of any closed venues pre cruise.  I really don't think cruising will start up again until it's safe to use the amenities.  If they are going to require masks  I can't see them opening the pools but that's just me and common sense speaking. However common sense isn't all that common.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I really don't think cruising will start up again until it's safe to use the amenities.

I’m in the theoretical low risk category and was keen to start cruising as soon as possible but I’m not paying full price for less than full amenities. 

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

There is a thread discussing the use of face masks and peoples thoughts on that but does anyone have any insight into what will happen with swimming pools? 
Will they be closed for a period of time? The same goes for water slides and hot tubs?

Do you really want guesses?

As much as nobody wants to hear it,cruising most likely doesnt resume till vaccine or very successful anti virals. There is no way to cruise and be happy and have fun if current social distancing is in place. No way masks can ever work on a cruise. People have something going in their mouths almost every minute of cruising. Again not to mention how much fun would that be? Its going to take months just to get cruisers back and feeling comfortable going. Imagine how much more hurt the industry would be if they went to sea and had 100 new cases appear? Their brand would be hurt forever. The only way imo cruising resumes is when it can be back to normal. Meaning FUN....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Billy Baltic said:

I’m in the theoretical low risk category and was keen to start cruising as soon as possible but I’m not paying full price for less than full amenities. 

I don't blame you. I not afraid of covid as much as I am afraid of the temporary on board experience that some are predicting. I have a watch and see attitude.

• Like 6

We do not lay out or use the pools.  Since I had melanoma I like to stay out of the direct sun anyway.  I hope they will open the pools when they start sailing.  That keeps many passengers outside and makes the rest of the ship less crowded.  Besides that, what would the chair hogs do without the decks open?  Perish the thought!

16 minutes ago, molly361 said:

The pools will be shutdown.               Elevators will be shutdown.               Buffet will be shutdown and on and on

Hallways will be shutdown, promenade will be shut down, theatre will be shut down. bars will be shut down.  

You will be bubble wrapped on shore and forklifted up to your balcony where you will quarantined until there is a vaccine with nanotech chips to track your every movement.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

32 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Hallways will be shutdown, promenade will be shut down, theatre will be shut down. bars will be shut down.  

You will be bubble wrapped on shore and forklifted up to your balcony where you will quarantined until there is a vaccine with nanotech chips to track your every movement.

But who will sanitize the bubble wrap? 

Edited by ToroAzul
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, molly361 said:

The pools will be shutdown.               Elevators will be shutdown.               Buffet will be shutdown and on and on

Sorry, not all of that is going to happen. You every seen anyone get a scooter/wheelchair up or down stairs?

2 hours ago, zonacruiser25 said:

We do not lay out or use the pools.  Since I had melanoma I like to stay out of the direct sun anyway.  I hope they will open the pools when they start sailing.  That keeps many passengers outside and makes the rest of the ship less crowded.  Besides that, what would the chair hogs do without the decks open?  Perish the thought!

I have had 7 skin cancer surgeries and try to stay out of the sun as much as possible.

I may be the only person who vacations in the Caribbean with most of my body covered.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Hallways will be one way traffic😉

29 minutes ago, Computer Nerd said:

Sorry, not all of that is going to happen. You every seen anyone get a scooter/wheelchair up or down stairs?

Maybe no scooters in the beginning

• Like 2

2 hours ago, molly361 said:

No they won't.  There will be extra sanitation measures taken though. 

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Maybe no scooters in the beginning

Then they will be keeping a lot of people (not necessarily old) from cruising. Also, who's going to climb from Deck 1 to deck 10 multiple times a day?? No logic is shutting down elevators. Quite possibly limiting the number of people on at one time but not shutting them down completely.