The short term future of swimming pools

20 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

As soon as the state Governors open the states you will see many,many people not wearing masks ,walking hand in hand and coughing into the air.

I know. Our Governor has come up with rules for reopening parts of the state gradually according to how many cases there are over a 2-week time, but a lot of PA citizens are ready to ride him out of town on a broken horse. Our county commissioners are also giving in to some of the pressure from businesses, etc. So the governor is really under fire. It's once again largely a political divisiveness issue. Should be interesting to say the least as the reopening unfolds  

This whole thing feels sort of like a return to the civil disobedience / protest movement of the 60s. 21st century hippies....only not as long hair. and wearing masks (or not?) 😷

Edited by OnTheJourney

Our state just announced that swimming pools at State Parks would be closed this summer due to the difficulty of enforcing social distancing in pools and the surrounding areas. This may be what cruise ships do initially as well.

Under the new rules, people will be made aware of their space in the pool, and the space of everyone around them. Upon entering the pool they must yell out, "Marco" and people already in the pool must respond, "Polo."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JT1962 said:

Our state just announced that swimming pools at State Parks would be closed this summer due to the difficulty of enforcing social distancing in pools and the surrounding areas. This may be what cruise ships do initially as well.

And what is the point of closing down a park, so everyone will go and hang out in Walmart instead?

• Like 1

Maybe they can section off parts of the pools and we can have pool appointments. You get one half hour to splash and float in your little socially-distant appropriate space.  Not sure how that would work with the hot tubs, since some folks crowd in and hog them for hours, drinking and chatting. 

1 hour ago, LibertyBella said:

Maybe they can section off parts of the pools and we can have pool appointments. You get one half hour to splash and float in your little socially-distant appropriate space.  Not sure how that would work with the hot tubs, since some folks crowd in and hog them for hours, drinking and chatting. 

Nah, Cruise Lines will just start charging for Pool use. Like Water Parks buy a band paying by the hr

• Like 1

And what is the point of closing down a park, so everyone will go and hang out in Walmart instead?

The parks opened April 24, but they said the pools will not open. It probably has more to do with budget cuts and having to have someone enforcing social distancing at the pools.

On 5/7/2020 at 6:42 PM, rtazz17 said:

As much as nobody wants to hear it,cruising most likely doesnt resume till vaccine or very successful anti virals. There is no way to cruise and be happy and have fun if current social distancing is in place. No way masks can ever work on a cruise. People have something going in their mouths almost every minute of cruising. Again not to mention how much fun would that be? Its going to take months just to get cruisers back and feeling comfortable going. Imagine how much more hurt the industry would be if they went to sea and had 100 new cases appear? Their brand would be hurt forever. The only way imo cruising resumes is when it can be back to normal. Meaning FUN....

This was exactly why we cancelled our cruise next month and shifted it to next year. Even if the EU lifted the ban on us flying there, we felt that the cruise would be stressful. People constantly at you for mask violations, social distancing....I will not do that while on a holiday I paid good money for....kind of happy we're taking a year off from cruising!

• Like 1

well i have to say the pool is essential part of being on holiday for us so if everything that we like on cruise ships are not available then we won't be cruising for a while.

A cruise with no buffet, no pool, wearing masks... sounds like a night mare to me

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fandash said:

well i have to say the pool is essential part of being on holiday for us so if everything that we like on cruise ships are not available then we won't be cruising for a while.

A cruise with no buffet, no pool, wearing masks... sounds like a night mare to me

We never go to the buffet or the pool.However,wearing a mask on a cruise ship is something not inviting .Therefore,if I am still alive and physically able to cruise when the pandemic ends I will consider a return to cruising.

On 5/9/2020 at 12:45 PM, lenquixote66 said:

I have had 7 skin cancer surgeries and try to stay out of the sun as much as possible.

I may be the only person who vacations in the Caribbean with most of my body covered.

My DH is right along with you and we live in FL. He wears long sleeved shirt, long pants and a big floppy hat to cut the grass, along with gloves. He has been cut on and burned too many times to count, and no longer takes chances. 

5 hours ago, DiamondSuiteCruiser said:

My DH is right along with you and we live in FL. He wears long sleeved shirt, long pants and a big floppy hat to cut the grass, along with gloves. He has been cut on and burned too many times to count, and no longer takes chances. 

In addition to skin cancer I have had cellulitis and phlebitis twice and have to keep my legs covered at all times.