After refund fiasco, why would you ever consider Royal again?

On 5/8/2020 at 6:50 AM, jknc said:

Think about how much time you and your travel agent spent simply trying to get your money back. How many calls did you make?

Why would anyone do business with a company like that again? I certainly won’t. 

I’ll find more joy doing other things with my money.  

I don't have a TA and cancelled online, so total number of calls made was zero.  

Why would I do business with them again?  I like the product and price wise they are very competitive.  To each their own.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LorraineP said:

Curious what did you actually get refunded I.e. deposit, cruise fare, cruise planner purchases, taxes & fees??????  Seems odd that you got a refund in 5 days while others are waiting months. 

Deposit only for five people, we had not made final payment yet. We did not have any purchases through the cruise planner either. 

On 5/8/2020 at 5:50 AM, jknc said:

Think about how much time you and your travel agent spent simply trying to get your money back. How many calls did you make?

Hmmm, no calls for me for my May 10 cruise.  Only time spent was about a minute on April 15 to fill out the online form saying I want a refund and not FCC.  Refund showed up about 2 weeks later.  Painless and easy process that took virtually no time

On 5/8/2020 at 8:58 AM, jknc said:

Assume Ticketmaster is refunding for broadway shows, Vegas shows, local show, college sports, NHL, NBA, MLB, PGA Tour, LPGA Tour, concerts, symphony’s, Monster Truck Rallys, Professional Rodeo, NASCAR, NHRA, etc.

And Stubhub, another ticket seller has barely issued any refunds and changed their policy to not issue refunds to your credit card - instead providing only credit that can be use on their site in the future

3 hours ago, Marie51 said:

Deposit only for five people, we had not made final payment yet. We did not have any purchases through the cruise planner either. 

Thank you for answering. We did make final payment. 

I am still awaiting my refund from RCL for my Vision of the Seas Transatlantic that was scheduled to sail on April 25th this year. It was canceled by RCL on March 23rd. I filled out the request for refund online the day the cruise was canceled. I called RCL three days ago and they said my refund went out on May 6th. But, it still has not showed up. I am pretty certain it will be here any day now. While not overjoyed with how long this has taken, I dont hate RCL or harbor any ill will towards them. Am I frustrated with how slow the refund is taking, YES! But, I have booked a couple of new cruises with them. And for anyone concerned with putting hundreds or thousands of dollars down towards cruises I suggest you buy cruise insurance to protect you from losing all your money if by chance a travel company were to declare bankruptcy. Honestly, I do not believe the cruise companies (big 3) are going to declare bankruptcy.

I am more concerned with the air tickets I purchased with my USAA Debit card from Norwegian air shuttle to fly home from our canceled TA. Once Norwegian air canceled our return flight home from Europe, I applied for a cash refund from them the same day. Have gotten absolutely no response from Norwegian. Filed a dispute with the US Dept of Transportation because they had like 10 or 12 days by law to process the refund. I even called them a week and a half ago and got a lame excuse from the representative that they are all required to work from home and can not process refunds from home so they hope to start processing refunds later in May. Their stock has dropped to pennies on the dollar and they may actually have to declare bankruptcy. I am way more concerned about my airfare refund from Norwegian Air, then I am from getting my cruise refund from RCL. I tried doing a dispute/chargeback on the airfare through my bank USAA, but they are WORTHLESS as they claim Visa (for debit cards) has rules that exclude chargebacks due to the coronavirus. 

My anger is with Norwegian Air Shuttle and USAA bank for blowing me off when it comes to getting my airfare back. Good luck to everyone.

Edited by eaflorida
added more info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, eaflorida said:

I am more concerned with the air tickets I purchased with my USAA Debit card from Norwegian air shuttle to fly home from our canceled TA. Once Norwegian air canceled our return flight home from Europe, I applied for a cash refund from them the same day. Have gotten absolutely no response from Norwegian. Filed a dispute with the US Dept of Transportation because they had like 10 or 12 days by law to process the refund. I even called them a week and a half ago and got a lame excuse from the representative that they are all required to work from home and can not process refunds from home so they hope to start processing refunds later in May. Their stock has dropped to pennies on the dollar and they may actually have to declare bankruptcy. I am way more concerned about my airfare refund from Norwegian Air, then I am from getting my cruise refund from RCL. I tried doing a dispute/chargeback on the airfare through my bank USAA, but they are WORTHLESS as they claim Visa (for debit cards) has rules that exclude chargebacks due to the coronavirus. 

My anger is with Norwegian Air Shuttle and USAA bank for blowing me off when it comes to getting my airfare back. Good luck to everyone.

We are also booked with Norwegian Air in October. They haven't cancelled, yet...We do have okay travel insurance, but not cancel for any reason. And we purchased with a credit card, not a debit card. Some of this is just the uncertainty of not knowing how events will unfold. I appreciate your post, I wondered how Norwegian was going to be if the flight is cancelled. The last time I spoke to a phone rep, he was extremely sullen, which was unexpected. 

On 5/9/2020 at 9:46 AM, jknc said:

Hey all you cool cats and kittens,

I don’t have time for this. Y’all can send me fan mail later. Trying to enjoy some time on the links. 

I'm rooting for the North Carolina alligators!

Edited by Clancy14

• 1 year later...

It is interesting to read some older threads, and related to that:

The US Federal Maritime Commission is amending its regulations governing non-performance by cruise lines and establishing new requirements for when passengers should be provided refunds for canceled or delayed voyages.

'Amending the Commission’s regulations to provide passengers more rights and options when a cruise line has not performed is good for consumers. I am grateful for the trust my fellow Commissioners placed in me to lead Fact Finding 30 and for their support in expanding consumer protections,' Commissioner Louis Sola said.

Direct claims against financial responsibility instruments

The changes define non-performance as canceling a voyage or delaying a voyage by three or more calendar days if a passenger elects not to embark on delayed or substituted voyage offered by an operator. The Commission also changed its regulations to allow passengers on delayed or canceled voyages to make direct claims against financial responsibility instruments, such as bonds maintained by operators, after the passenger’s unsuccessful attempt to receive a refund directly. Finally, the rule allows all fees, including ancillary fees, paid by a passenger, to be eligible for a refund.

These standards apply only to cruises embarking from a US port. FMC surety does not provide for reimbursement of air travel, shoreside hotel expenses and other expenses outside of water transportation.

'The proper thing to do'

FMC Chairman Daniel Maffei applauded the work of Sola on Fact Finding 30 and his identifying 'these needed changes to Commission regulations,' adding: 'Consumers deserve more alternatives than the often-limiting recourses specified in a ticket contract. Updating the Commission’s regulations was the proper thing to do, and these rule changes deliver more rights and remedies to the public.'

The changes become effective 30 days after their publication in the Federal Register and will apply to cruises booked on and after that date.

The rule change stems from recommendations Sola made in April 2020 that he identified as part of work as a fact-finding officer for Fact Finding 30 Investigation, 'COVID-19 Impact on Cruise Industry.'

US rule change provides more rights to refunds for canceled cruises (seatrade-cruise.com)

• Like 1

On 5/8/2020 at 5:50 AM, jknc said:

So just GO AWAY.  Why do you ask this?

If it bothers you, spend your money elsewhere.

Do you really think you will make others follow you?  Or do you think that people here will change your mind?

RCI is not going to suffer if you take your business elsewhere.  So just go.