Thoughts on the Gem with an 11 year old?

Newfun4me

Hi All,

We just rebooked our cruise to Bermuda (initially planned for the first week of June this year out of NYC) for the beginning of June next year.  We were originally scheduled on the Encore and have rebooked on the Gem from Boston.  My husband and I will be cruising with our 22 year old son and his girlfriend and my niece who will be almost 12.  There was a lot of stuff to do on the Encore.  What do you think about the Gem for their age bracket?  With the discount and the extra credit, I was able to book the Garden Villa for less than what I spent for 2 Haven Suites on the Encore, so we'll have plenty of room to hang out together there.  

Thanks!

Kim

We sailed a 10 day southern Caribbean itinerary from NYC on the Gem in 2009. We really loved the ship and have since sailed on sisterships Jade and Pearl. There will be activities for an eleven year old but there will be far fewer options on the Gem than on the newer/larger class of ships. 

We sailed Breakaway to Bermuda three years ago and really loved the itinerary. Since you will be spending three days and two nights docked in port, perhaps the fewer options onboard will be less significant as you will have so much to see and do ashore. 

• Like 1

The Garden Villa would be great but honestly 11 year olds don't really care about that, and that's the one person you want to keep happy.  Being in Bermuda you'll most likely be spending a good amount of your time off the ship.

For teens and pre-teens go for the vessel that has all the bells and whistles.  Either choice, I'm sure you'll have a good time.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

The Garden Villa would be great but honestly 11 year olds don't really care about that, and that's the one person you want to keep happy.  Being in Bermuda you'll most likely be spending a good amount of your time off the ship.

For teens and pre-teens go for the vessel that has all the bells and whistles.  Either choice, I'm sure you'll have a good time.

Hmmm... something to consider for sure.  I'm a little worried about it with her as I want her to have a great time.  I could also look at Joy and Breakaway.  I guess more research is warranted.  🙂

We’ve sailed on the Gem, Breakaway and the Jewel. We have 5 kids close in age. None of them liked the 10 - 12 year old age kids clubs (I blame the age and not the clubs), even the time when the youngest were 10, 10 and 12 and were together. They ended up just doing things together, but weren’t old enough to just wander the ship. My boys did better on the smaller ship at those ages because of the sports courts, they’d go and shoot hoops or join games. If she was old enough for the teen club I’d say go for it, all of my kids made friends there the first night and had a group to hang with.

ETA can she bring a friend?

Edited by mjkacmom
  • Like 1

Lets just pretend that there was no virus and we're just talking ships and cruises again, formerly my favorite conversation!.   

The Gem is my favorite ship.    I've taken my girls on most of the ships, usually we stay in the Haven 2 bedroom where possible.   Honestly the bells and whistles on the bigger ships don't make up for the extreme crowds.   The water slides are only fun once or twice.   The ropes course, all the stuff that attracts teens and families, it wears off quickly.   

The Gem is just a nice cruise ship.   They do it right.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

We’ve sailed on the Gem, Breakaway and the Jewel. We have 5 kids close in age. None of them liked the 10 - 12 year old age kids clubs (I blame the age and not the clubs), even the time when the youngest were 10, 10 and 12 and were together. They ended up just doing things together, but weren’t old enough to just wander the ship. My boys did better on the smaller ship at those ages because of the sports courts, they’d go and shoot hoops or join games. If she was old enough for the teen club I’d say go for it, all of my kids made friends there the first night and had a group to hang with.

ETA can she bring a friend?

Thanks - I worry about her interest in the clubs at her age, too.  I would LOVE it if she could bring a friend.  We always did that with my son (only child), but it's a little different because she's my niece and they live out of state.  I don't really know any of her friends.  I asked my sister her thoughts on that, but she wasn't a big fan of the idea.  🙂  

13 minutes ago, Newfun4me said:

Thanks - I worry about her interest in the clubs at her age, too.  I would LOVE it if she could bring a friend.  We always did that with my son (only child), but it's a little different because she's my niece and they live out of state.  I don't really know any of her friends.  I asked my sister her thoughts on that, but she wasn't a big fan of the idea.  🙂  

I know you probably already know this since you had the Encore booked but don't forget to get the appropriate paperwork for her signed by her parents updated closer to sail date. 

Also, highly recommend a passport book for her so if anything happens she can fly home without a delay....  

• Like 1

The Gem is my favorite ship but I think there is a lot more for her to do on the larger ships.  The Gem does have shuffle board, ping pong and a large chess board but she will need someone to play with her. When you go to Bermuda make sure you go to Fun Golf, miniature golf that is in port. Go around 7/7:30 to watch the sunset plus you get to play in daylight and night when the course lights up. Fun for the whole family.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, esm54687 said:

I know you probably already know this since you had the Encore booked but don't forget to get the appropriate paperwork for her signed by her parents updated closer to sail date. 

Also, highly recommend a passport book for her so if anything happens she can fly home without a delay....  

Thanks!  That little one is a world traveler - Ireland and Scotland last year and Greece and Canada the year before.  Paris is on their itinerary for this year, but they are in a wait and see mode.  We'll definitely have her passport.  

• Like 1

Our very first cruise, back in 1996 I believe, was on Premier Oceania.  Very small ship.  About 45k tons.  My daughter, who was about 12 at the time had a ball.  I would strongly suggest that you get your niece to join in with the children's gathering for her age group.  My daughter did and made so many friends.  

• Like 1