"New York is closed to cruises the rest of the year." LOL

Will need to factor in the logistics of returning all the staff around the world to ships too, and it seems to me that this is a very big process, that you'd imagine would take months.  Much as I'd love to think late 2020, April/May 2020 is what I am realistically basing future plans on.

24 minutes ago, podgeandrodge said:

Will need to factor in the logistics of returning all the staff around the world to ships too, and it seems to me that this is a very big process, that you'd imagine would take months ... 

LOL, you meant to say next year, April/May 2021 ... having a "senior" moment, dreaming of better days ahead.  

Maybe, NCL will simply keep their skeletal crew onboard and get them to resume work once cleared instead of repatriating them.  It will save them the transfer, housing & transport costs ... assuming that they can order & access the needed FDA-approved test kits and PPE.  Otherwise, they can try to stockpile their surgical & N95 masks, gloves & extra cleaning and isolation supplies, etc. while the ships are being deployed for the current missions.  

However, the Escape is going nowhere thus far, still berthed at POM at the pier ... must be a nice, cool evening ... crew outside in the bow area, relaxing - doesn't look crowded at all (on shipcam)  

On 5/8/2020 at 3:51 PM, PelicanBill said:

This is a classic case of how misinformation spreads like wildfire.

I have heard this said here, on other social media, and in the fire hall where I donated blood last week.

Did it all arise out of the report that Carnival pulled the Sunrise out of New York for the rest of the year?

When I challenge people for the facts of where did they hear this, nobody has an answer. Which proves to me it's hearsay they are repeating.

Someone actually challenged my assertion that it was misinformation and told me to try booking a cruise from New York. So I showed them there are 86 cruises scheduled August 1 to December 31 to sail from NYC and they are all presently bookable.

It's amazing, ain't it?

By the time the Novel Rumor Virus spreads from Mouth A to Ear D it has already mutated several hundred times.

Imagine what it becomes by the time it reaches Ear Z!!!!!

And I am only talking about misinformation and rumor. When, how and will cruising resume, I will wait for the authorities to take the decision and announce. Tired of our Cruise Critic Pundits fighting over it. And if any pundit is SO sure about the date of when cruising resumes in whatever year they deem fit, can you please also email me the Pick 5 numbers for the Tuesday Lottery.

Edited by Arzeena
  • Like 2

On 5/8/2020 at 8:31 PM, mking8288 said:

LOL, you meant to say next year, April/May 2021 ... having a "senior" moment, dreaming of better days ahead.  

Maybe, NCL will simply keep their skeletal crew onboard and get them to resume work once cleared instead of repatriating them.  It will save them the transfer, housing & transport costs ... assuming that they can order & access the needed FDA-approved test kits and PPE.  Otherwise, they can try to stockpile their surgical & N95 masks, gloves & extra cleaning and isolation supplies, etc. while the ships are being deployed for the current missions.  

However, the Escape is going nowhere thus far, still berthed at POM at the pier ... must be a nice, cool evening ... crew outside in the bow area, relaxing - doesn't look crowded at all (on shipcam)  

Miss the Escape😞. Had a wonderful time!

On 5/8/2020 at 7:45 PM, mking8288 said:

Well, this pandemic outbreak is most definitely nowhere over or slowing down ... still in the second or third innings of a doubleheader.  At Brooklyn's Sunset Park waterfront, a long-term disaster morgue is open & operational, next to a HS/ICE and Federal Correctional Facility.  

https://whdh.com/news/long-term-disaster-morgue-set-up-at-brooklyns-39th-street-pier-to-help-nycs-overwhelmed-funeral-system/

This isn't a time to relax or declare mission accomplished, rather to catch a break, take a rest and restock to prepare ... a 2nd. wave is going to boomerang across America, faster than what we think (not if, just a matter of "when"). 

i somewhat agree,  it is slowing down in many states  .   NY is still a problem , i would not book anything from NY , or west coast , canada ect, for this year. 

25 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

i somewhat agree,  it is slowing down in many states  .   NY is still a problem , i would not book anything from NY , or west coast , canada ect, for this year. 

I wouldn't book anything regardless of Port.  My kid still has remote learning from College until the Fall and that is still TBD.

No sympathy for Cruises since there are much bigger and better things to deal with...like Education for our kids/future.

Seaman...you have channeled much energy into restarting the cruise lines. What about College kids with remote learning and no Graduation?  What about Seniors in High School with no Prom and no Graduation?  What about food shortages?

Seaman11 or whoever you are, please keep in mind the impact this virus has had on our future.  Food shortages.  Education impacts.

I challenge your credibility and offended how you can dismiss crisis and be cheerleader for Cruise Lines rather than be cheerleader for Food Banks and Education.  Your generation would NOT  be self absorbed about cruising.  My grandfather was killed in Nazi Germany (Concentration Camp).  How old are you?  Your resume?

Are you a troll?  Perhaps.  Find peace and be well.

🙂

JMO

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Arzeena said:

Miss the Escape😞. Had a wonderful time!

Hey, RJ and AZ - when I get around, we'll chat offline again.  Sounded like all is a' okay for you both and your area, unlike northern Jersey.  Trending & moving in the right direction for the region.  

Escape still docked at POM, going nowhere.  That was a wonderful 15 days onboard last January for sure and a "good" preview / holding down the norvirus outbreak onboard being a drill in the future of cruising, IMHO.  Never had to breakout our 2 N95 and 2 surgical masks in our EDC pack then.  Moving forward, quite a different stories but as you know, I am always prepared ... with Plan C behind Plan B.  

Stay safe, healthy and we can all daydream ... Susan & I looking at our 2008 Alaska and 2009 POA cruise videos, virtual cruising and wishing.  To hope is to dream.  Reality, #cough #cough.  

Reading all these "ready to cruise" threads on multiple boards (as  I hear the nightly 7pm cheering dedicated to health care workers)....if it makes the happy, let them dream.  There's no use in arguing with those who think they know all the facts.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Reading all these "ready to cruise" threads on multiple boards (as  I hear the nightly 7pm cheering dedicated to health care workers)....if it makes the happy, let them dream.  There's no use in arguing with those who think they know all the facts.

The world is big so I never get this "but in my backyard x and y happens so you are all stupid[...]" and the latest news around Italy, Greece and others who already push hard for the summer season tourism to happen make me confident about my Q3/2020 prediction for cruises somewhere in the world. I can't imagine NCL as "Europes leading cruiseline" lol will leave that to Costa and MSC.

Edited by onetimearoundtheworld

23 minutes ago, onetimearoundtheworld said:

The world is big so I never get this "but in my backyard x and y happens so you are all stupid[...]" and the latest news around Italy, Greece and others who already push hard for the summer season tourism to happen make me confident about my Q3/2020 prediction for cruises somewhere in the world. I can't imagine NCL as "Europes leading cruiseline" lol will leave that to Costa and MSC.

This thread is about cruises from NYC.  I'm in NYC.

1 minute ago, MsTabbyKats said:

This thread is about cruises from NYC.  I'm in NYC.

If all the 

Reading all these "ready to cruise" threads on multiple boards
were only about NYC and cruising directly from there then my apologies. Most New Yorkers I met were actually most interested going way behind their own area.

25 minutes ago, onetimearoundtheworld said:

What a bold prediction...somewhere in the world they'll be cruises by the third quarter. :classic_rolleyes: You're really sticking your neck out there...some day, somewhere, we'll find a new way of living...

There won't be a summer tourism season Italy...the tourism minister has stated that Italy's borders will remain closed to foreign tourists until the end of the year . https://nation.com.pk/26-Apr-2020/italy-to-remain-closed-for-tourism-until-end-of-year .

And NCLH's CEO Frank Del Rio recently stated that they are trying to resume cruising by late in the third quarter to early in the fourth quarter, but on a very limited basis...starting with three NCL ships and one each from Oceania and Regent Seven Seas. He said it will take six months to ramp up to a full schedule. https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5340/  . That all assumes the CDC and officials in other countries permit the resumption of cruising...so they may have no choice but to leave it to Costa and MSC . 

3 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

There won't be a summer tourism season Italy...the tourism minister has stated that Italy's borders will remain closed to foreign tourists until the end of the year . https://nation.com.pk/26-Apr-2020/italy-to-remain-closed-for-tourism-until-end-of-year .

really, you read a pakistani newspaper to get information about italian tourism? there are up to date statements from Dario Franceschini denying the claim.

3 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

so they may have no choice but to leave it to Costa and MSC . 

I wouldn't mind. Whoever wants my money and delivers value.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, onetimearoundtheworld said:

really, you read a pakistani newspaper to get information about italian tourism? there are up to date statements from Dario Franceschini denying the claim.

I wouldn't mind. Whoever wants my money and delivers value.

The minister's "denial" includes this statement, so he's still saying only domestic tourism will be allowed this summer: https://www.thelocal.it/20200429/no-italy-has-not-closed-the-borders-to-tourists-until-2021

"But, while nothing has been confirmed yet, only domestic tourism within Italy is likely to be allowed this summer.

"We are making a strong investment in domestic tourism, because this will be a summer of holidays in Italy," Franchescini said in an interview on Wednesday morning, in which he reiterated that claims of border closures until 2021 were false."

Per The NY Times, at present Italy doesn't appear to be anywhere near to reopening its borders to foreign tourists:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/08/travel/travel-reopenings-virus.html?auth=login-email&login=email

Anyone who enters Italy from outside the country must self-quarantine for two weeks. Travelers from the United States have not been explicitly banned, but travelers must prove that they are “returning to their residence or entering the country for justifiable work reasons, special needs or health emergencies.”

Sounds like the minister is just backpedaling on something he likely did say . He sounds just like US politicians...

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, OceanBlueWaters said:

I wouldn't book anything regardless of Port.  My kid still has remote learning from College until the Fall and that is still TBD.

No sympathy for Cruises since there are much bigger and better things to deal with...like Education for our kids/future.

Seaman...you have channeled much energy into restarting the cruise lines. What about College kids with remote learning and no Graduation?  What about Seniors in High School with no Prom and no Graduation?  What about food shortages?

Seaman11 or whoever you are, please keep in mind the impact this virus has had on our future.  Food shortages.  Education impacts.

Whilst I disagree implicitly with seaman, in relation to cruise ships returning this year, please understand this forum is called 'cruise critic' for a reason......

There may be forums out there, where you can more meaningfully discuss your personal concerns! 😉

• Like 5

21 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Hey, RJ and AZ - when I get around, we'll chat offline again.  Sounded like all is a' okay for you both and your area, unlike northern Jersey.  Trending & moving in the right direction for the region.  

Escape still docked at POM, going nowhere.  That was a wonderful 15 days onboard last January for sure and a "good" preview / holding down the norvirus outbreak onboard being a drill in the future of cruising, IMHO.  Never had to breakout our 2 N95 and 2 surgical masks in our EDC pack then.  Moving forward, quite a different stories but as you know, I am always prepared ... with Plan C behind Plan B.  

Stay safe, healthy and we can all daydream ... Susan & I looking at our 2008 Alaska and 2009 POA cruise videos, virtual cruising and wishing.  To hope is to dream.  Reality, #cough #cough.  

Hola!

We are doing fine. You have my email, so chat whenever you want to.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, OceanBlueWaters said:

I challenge your credibility and offended how you can dismiss crisis and be cheerleader for Cruise Lines rather than be cheerleader for Food Banks and Education.  Your generation would NOT  be self absorbed about cruising.  My grandfather was killed in Nazi Germany (Concentration Camp).  How old are you?  Your resume?

Are you a troll?  Perhaps.  Find peace and be well.

🙂

JMO

Of all the posts the mods chose to delete, this survives?  You have got to be kidding me.  

Seaman11 (or "whoever you are" LMAO), keep being you.

OceanBlueWaters: your sanctimonious post is the definition of trolling.  Thanks for coming out.

Edited by GettotheSun
misstated it wasn't the OP's comment
  • Like 2

I hope your cruise goes in Oct. I also have a cruise booked in Oct. Departing for southern Caribbean from NY. I am thinking it probably won't go but I am still holding out some hope it will go...crazy as that might be. 🤞

Do any of you Canadians or New Englanders have any opinion or have you heard any news on sailings out of Boston in Sept/Oct for the New England/Canada cruises ? Do you think any will sail? Thanks

5 minutes ago, surfone said:

Do any of you Canadians or New Englanders have any opinion or have you heard any news on sailings out of Boston in Sept/Oct for the New England/Canada cruises ? Do you think any will sail? Thanks

i am booked on the Encore for Sept out of NYC. There is a chance it might sail, it depends on when Canada reopens their borders and if they are willing to accept passengers

1 hour ago, shof515 said:

i am booked on the Encore for Sept out of NYC. There is a chance it might sail, it depends on when Canada reopens their borders and if they are willing to accept passengers

If they are cruising out of NYC in September (and I believe they will - just my opinion however) the cruise will sail. If Canada is not re-opened yet they will just go somewhere else. Good luck. 

1 hour ago, Chris_2448 said:

If they are cruising out of NYC in September (and I believe they will - just my opinion however) the cruise will sail. If Canada is not re-opened yet they will just go somewhere else. Good luck. 

I too am booked for a cruise to Canada in Sept on the Breakaway out of NYC. And am hopeful that we sail on that date. 

At this time there are many many cabins available on the Breakaway's Sept 5th sailing. And i believe that on the sail date there will be many many vacant rooms. This Although this  may  be an opportunity for an upgrade,

What do you think of the possibility of a cancellation by NCL because the sailing may not be cost efficient for the corporation???  Could it be cost prohibitive for NCL?

Just a thought.