IONA Arrival

poorer

So today my husband, son and I were going to travel to Southampton to see Iona's arrival into Southampton.

Only being a hour and half away we thought we would make a day of it look at the ship a nice lunch and a couple of vinos.

Getting excited that we would have cruised on her on the 23rd May 2020.

Sadly the May cruise was cancelled so we rebooked for June 2020 again cancelled so we are trying again for August 1st 2020.

Don't really expect this to happen but have everything crossed but if this is cancelled I will move this again.

We are determined to get on Iona no matter how much I have to change the booking .

It's going to happen and we cannot wait !

1 hour ago, poorer said:

So today my husband, son and I were going to travel to Southampton to see Iona's arrival into Southampton.

Only being a hour and half away we thought we would make a day of it look at the ship a nice lunch and a couple of vinos.

Getting excited that we would have cruised on her on the 23rd May 2020.

Sadly the May cruise was cancelled so we rebooked for June 2020 again cancelled so we are trying again for August 1st 2020.

Don't really expect this to happen but have everything crossed but if this is cancelled I will move this again.

We are determined to get on Iona no matter how much I have to change the booking .

It's going to happen and we cannot wait !

I absolutely admire your optimism. We are booked on Iona on 29 August. We have not cancelled yet and still hope. Gary Barlow is on board and P&O gave us an extra £200 OBC for being loyal chumps.🚢😁

• Haha 1

Well Iona is not completed yet she is in Bremerhaven waiting to be fitted out and then she has to complete her sea trials which were scheduled for March but were cancelled. Cannot see Iona sailing for some time yet.

45 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Well Iona is not completed yet she is in Bremerhaven waiting to be fitted out and then she has to complete her sea trials which were scheduled for March but were cancelled. Cannot see Iona sailing for some time yet.

Last I read there are still shipyard workers on board finishing off the fitting out, so I expect it will be well and truly completed once P&O think it needs to finish off the sea trials, some of which have already taken place, and start preparing for it to commence cruising.

The German cruise shipbuilding company Meyer Werft suspended works on P&O Cruises’ ship Iona. The unfinished vessel is currently docked in Bremerhaven Germany. The newbuild was moved from Meyer’s shipyard in Papenburg Germany (on Ems River) to Bremerhaven for outfitting. However, due to the Coronavirus pandemic, works on the vessel's interior were suspended and sea trials postponed.

Edited by majortom10

15 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

I’m sad that I’m not joining Iona’s shakedown cruise tomorrow. Am very much excited about this ship.

Looking forward to our August cruise on her.Many have said they won't cruise again for years, so  we should get a sunbed ok.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

The German cruise shipbuilding company Meyer Werft suspended works on P&O Cruises’ ship Iona. The unfinished vessel is currently docked in Bremerhaven Germany. The newbuild was moved from Meyer’s shipyard in Papenburg Germany (on Ems River) to Bremerhaven for outfitting. However, due to the Coronavirus pandemic, works on the vessel's interior were suspended and sea trials postponed.

When was this dated MT?

27 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

When was this dated MT?

March 21st. CEO of Carnival Corp Arnold Donald said on 17th April "We need to make sure the ship gets finished. Iona will be finished and at some point, when the world is ready, she will be sailing. We don’t know exactly when".

Edited by majortom10

As I said when Iona is ready I will be get on as soon as I can.

I understand people have their views as to when the ship will be ready.

But sometimes it's nice to look forward to brighter times rather than give negatives on bleak times.

Let's look forward to future cruising!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, poorer said:

As I said when Iona is ready I will be get on as soon as I can.

I understand people have their views as to when the ship will be ready.

But sometimes it's nice to look forward to brighter times rather than give negatives on bleak times.

Let's look forward to future cruising!

Absolutely agree. I hope she sails early August so the she has a couple of cruises under her belt before we go on at the end of August.😁

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

March 21st. CEO of Carnival Corp Arnold Donald said on 17th April "We need to make sure the ship gets finished. Iona will be finished and at some point, when the world is ready, she will be sailing. We don’t know exactly when".

Quite old news then, and since they went back to work almost immediately it's quite likely Iona is almost ready by now.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Quite old news then, and since they went back to work almost immediately it's quite likely Iona is almost ready by now.

Norway here we come 🚢🚢🚢

12 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

No chance they were delayed with a minimum of staff and were not fitting Iona out as planned. The minimum of staff were employed and agreed by union as a safety practice not fitting out the ship and they havent done any sea trials. If CEO of Carnival Corp said only 3 weeks ago that he didnt know when the ship would be finished I do not think it will be anytime soon and once she is fully fitted she will have to undergo sea trials. Then she has to be delivered to Southampton  and then they have to get full compliment of staff onboard and trained and they are still in the progress of repatriating staff so in near future not looking at bringing staff to Southampton. Plus P&O have cancelled all cruises until 31st July and is only a matter of time before that is extended and even after all that where will she sail as there is no chance of Norway letting them dock at any ports. Think you have to be realistic and realise that Iona will not be ready to sail for some time.

1 minute ago, majortom10 said:

No chance they were delayed with a minimum of staff and were not fitting Iona out as planned. The minimum of staff were employed and agreed by union as a safety practice not fitting out the ship and they havent done any sea trials. If CEO of Carnival Corp said only 3 weeks ago that he didnt know when the ship would be finished I do not think it will be anytime soon and once she is fully fitted she will have to undergo sea trials. Then she has to be delivered to Southampton  and then they have to get full compliment of staff onboard and trained and they are still in the progress of repatriating staff so in near future not looking at bringing staff to Southampton. Plus P&O have cancelled all cruises until 31st July and is only a matter of time before that is extended and even after all that where will she sail as there is no chance of Norway letting them dock at any ports. Think you have to be realistic and realise that Iona will not be ready to sail for some time.

Apart from that, still looking good isn't it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Majortom

This may be true .

But let us have some kind of belief it will happen.

Sometimes we don't want to need to know who said what and when.

But would like to look forward.to our dreams even if they might not come true straight away.

56 minutes ago, poorer said:

Majortom

This may be true .

But let us have some kind of belief it will happen.

Sometimes we don't want to need to know who said what and when.

But would like to look forward.to our dreams even if they might not come true straight away.

I agree but when you hear statements from senior management you have to listen and  think about your future plans as not doing so can turn dreams into an even bigger disappointment because they are not being realistic..

Majortom

That is your opinion this post was what I was looking forward to and you have tried in everyway to keep knocking me down with my hopes and dreams.

I have had to cancel three cruises this year because of this pandemic including Iona.

And as I said it will not stop getting on Iona or the two other cruises I have booked for next year all which are suites as I work hard for my holidays as does my husband.

So if senior management does not require my money I would like them to let me know not being given this information from third parties.

I will continue to support P&O no matter how many times they cancel my cruises I am not worried about money being lost because this is what I would  happily paid out for.

So please no more negative comments as I said my comments were about how I felt and not to get political or negative.

Please feel free to respond as you will only get positivity from me and in this current time this is what people need.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, poorer said:

Majortom

That is your opinion this post was what I was looking forward to and you have tried in everyway to keep knocking me down with my hopes and dreams.

I have had to cancel three cruises this year because of this pandemic including Iona.

And as I said it will not stop getting on Iona or the two other cruises I have booked for next year all which are suites as I work hard for my holidays as does my husband.

So if senior management does not require my money I would like them to let me know not being given this information from third parties.

I will continue to support P&O no matter how many times they cancel my cruises I am not worried about money being lost because this is what I would  happily paid out for.

So please no more negative comments as I said my comments were about how I felt and not to get political or negative.

Please feel free to respond as you will only get positivity from me and in this current time this is what people need.

That means there will be at least 4 of us on Iona ( plus Gary ).😁

• Like 1

Hi Zapp99

Very true but there will only be three of us as we are travelling hopefully on August 1st so we won't have Gary😟.

Maybe do a Take That collaboration with the Captain 😁

• Haha 1