Refunds - any received to date?

OSUTRIKERS

We received a full refund on Monday, June 22, for a cruise that was scheduled to depart on May 10. Our TA requested a full refund around April 1. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the order that refunds are being made. We were 24 hours away from filing a credit card dispute when the refund arrived. Given the continuing bad news regarding cruise lines, including HAL, I would be very nervous waiting much longer than 60 days. If my cruise had been cancelled mid-March and I was still waiting for a refund, I would definitely want my credit card involved. Just my thoughts, for their worth. 

Sorry...I think I accidentally posted this on another thread...

We received a full refund on Monday, June 22, for a cruise that was scheduled to depart on May 10. Our TA requested a full refund around April 1. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the order that refunds are being made. We were 24 hours away from filing a credit card dispute when the refund arrived. Given the continuing bad news regarding cruise lines, including HAL, I would be very nervous waiting much longer than 60 days. If my cruise had been cancelled mid-March and I was still waiting for a refund, I would definitely want my credit card involved. Just my thoughts, for their worth. 

My travel buddy and I received our refunds on June 26 for a cruise leaving on June 8. Just a bit over the 60 days that HAL noted in its online cancellation site. We are pleased with the relative speed of our refund. As a new 4-Star Mariner, I have to summon all my willpower not to book another HAL cruise for next year. We both agree that our cruising days aren't over, but it's too soon to plunk down any deposit money.

We would have been flying home to our husbands on July 4 from Copenhagen. Compared to the heartache and loss of the past few months, a cancelled cruise is not the end of the world. Our goal now is to stay well. Thank goodness we live next door to each other and can still have Happy Hours on our patios, six feet apart. In our 70s, we are grateful for each day of good health and the blessings of friendship. 

• Like 2

A little perspective on refunds might help us all feel better.  Celestyal Cruises just cancelled their itineraries until a March 6, 2021.  A poster on that board was told that if you want a full refund you must wait until December 2021.

• Like 1

Our cruise was scheduled for May 15.  We opted for the FCC in April.  We received notice May 7 that the FCC was available.

While looking at my June CC statement, I see that the air, port fees and insurance were refunded to my credit card on June 19.

On 7/1/2020 at 8:37 AM, puppycanducruise said:

Our cruise was scheduled for May 15.  We opted for the FCC in April.  We received notice May 7 that the FCC was available.

While looking at my June CC statement, I see that the air, port fees and insurance were refunded to my credit card on June 19.

Was your travel insurance thru HAL or ?

On 6/30/2020 at 6:43 PM, Crazy For Cats said:

A little perspective on refunds might help us all feel better.  Celestyal Cruises just cancelled their itineraries until a March 6, 2021.  A poster on that board was told that if you want a full refund you must wait until December 2021.

And a bit more perspective on refunds...

Now these are not cruises but it shows the impact that so many industries are under with this virus... 

Received an email from my travel insurance company and may claim my take up to another 15 weeks.  Claim has already been there so that means it will be at least 18 weeks before I have an answer.

Received an email from Lufthansa (cancelled over 2 months ago and requested a refund - told I would have it in 2 - 3 months) offering a new voucher or if I still want a refund they will be processed in another 6-8 weeks. So that’s probably at least 4 months before I see the money (If I do)

Iberia told me a refund in 2-3 weeks.  It’s now 8 weeks and I haven’t seen a thing.

this actually makes HAL look good and that’s a pretty sad statement with how long people have been waiting. 😞 

• Like 2

What is so good about 111 days?   Or possibly longer?

Seems to me 30 days and the credit card dispute route would be a far better alternative.

As we used to say in business, there is only so many times you can polish a turd.  No prize in being among the best of the worst so to speak.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, dmcfad2 said:

I wonder how one goes about disputing it with their CC company if the cruise was paid in several installments over 1 year? Probably not possible. 

You just go back to your statements and identify the payments made on which date and give them all that information.  It's a service you paid for which you didn't receive.  Many people have disputed the charges with their credit card company.

Several hours ago we received our refund to our credit card of our June 6 cruise (we cancelled March 17).  Day 108.  It wasn't there first thing this morning so you have to check more than once a day if you're still waiting.  We still have a few hundred dollars on a FCC to receive and it's not on our account yet.  I thought they came before the cash refunds did but apparently not.  I will give them a few more weeks to get that taken care of before I inquire about it.  We had disputed this refund with our credit card about 10 days ago, so have to cancel that now.  

I thought they came before the cash refunds did but apparently not. "

Has ANYONE seen FCC before cash refund? I certainly haven't. Got all my cash back. but only promises (and restrictions) on the FCC! and its use.

BTW: MY experience with CC disputes. Merchant immediately stops processing as soon as a dispute is filed...

Edited by Tennessee Titan

39 minutes ago, Tennessee Titan said:

Has ANYONE seen FCC before cash refund? I certainly haven't. Got all my cash back. but only promises (and restrictions) on the FCC! and its use.

We received an email that our FCC is available from the June 7 cruise on May 7. (HAL had canceled the cruise on April 16.)

We are still waiting for a refund for taxes and port fees on that cruise.

4 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

You just go back to your statements and identify the payments made on which date and give them all that information.  It's a service you paid for which you didn't receive.  Many people have disputed the charges with their credit card company.

Thank you.

4 hours ago, puppycanducruise said:

HAL's platinum protection insurance, that includes CFAR.

The cruise was cancelled by HAL, so I didn't need to put in a claim and got the payment back.

Thanks!  My TravelGuard will apply the amount paid towards future travel until April 2022.

Will definitely check into "Cancel For Any Reason" in the future!  

80 days after request on April 14th, refund posted to charge card today July 03 20.

This was for a cruise and land journey to Yukon and Denali Alaska Jun 20-30th.

Last Cruise was Silver Galapagos Sep 05-15th 2019. Could be a great last cruise for a while!

Happy July 04th. 

This has been an interesting topic. There doesn’t seem to be much rhyme or reason as to how HAL is approaching the refund process. Some cruises cancelled in March/April haven’t seen a refund and others whose cruises were cancelled after that have there money on the bank. Our cruise which should have sailed April 2 and was cancelled the latter part of March has yet to be refunded. All contacts from customer service say the refund is being processed but can’t tell me when I’ll see it. I’m really frustrated and considering what my next step will be. 

i got my 50 % cash back on my credit card plus the 50 % fcc. they refused to compensate us for the tickets which we had to buy to get out of perth. we are florida residents and could not "change" any existing tickets since we had none. they also refused to reimburse us for the privately arranged and non refundable excursions which we had booked for singapore and africa. but they did mention that "we should have booked these excursions with haolland america..." how sweet.

anyone interested in my fcc's ? i am done with holland america

6 hours ago, michaelfl said:

i got my 50 % cash back on my credit card plus the 50 % fcc. they refused to compensate us for the tickets which we had to buy to get out of perth. we are florida residents and could not "change" any existing tickets since we had none. they also refused to reimburse us for the privately arranged and non refundable excursions which we had booked for singapore and africa. but they did mention that "we should have booked these excursions with haolland america..." how sweet.

anyone interested in my fcc's ? i am done with holland america

FCC is not transferrable. 

HAL has no obligation to refund money paid for privately arranged and non-refundable excursions. That is a gamble you took when booking those excursions.

The flight from Perth should be compensated up to what they agreed to pay others for a changed itinerary. 

Sorry your experience has soured your mood toward HAL, but it is understandable that you are not pleased with how things turned out.

ok, but then - why did they give us a form called "change fee reimbursement request guide"  for "reasonable expenses which are a direct result of a holland america cruise change or cancellation" to include, and i quote again "e-ticket showing payment received, travel agency receipt showing payment received, credit card statement..." all that was submitted to hal. the letter goes on " hotel and car rental refund...document should show that reservations are non refunable, nontransferable...etc". all that was submitted to hal too.

so...why did they give us that form on the ship ? i inquired from the front desk if i could expect a compensation (just to be on the safe side of proper understanding). their reply:  "of course"

again - if hal has no oblogation to pay - why did they give us that particular form, obviously ment exactly for such a case ?????

Edited by michaelfl
change ofwording

We have considered HAL to be our favorite cruise line for many years.  I have to tell everyone my patience with HAL is wearing thin.  It may not be "All their fault," but I am still waiting for the refund of taxes, port fees, and return air from Amsterdam for our April 6 cruise that was canceled in Mid March.  Mid March to July 4 is getting close to FOUR MONTHS.  Received the FCC on May 7.

We are booked on the Antarctica sailing over the coming holidays.  We went with the "Non-refundable deposit (FCD)" as on our end this cruise was going to happen for us no matter what (Pre-Covid of course, and our insurance would cover a cancelation due to our own illness or covered reasons...).  Final payment has been pushed back to October, but I REALLY STRONGLY do not want to send HAL another penny until there is some assurance that this cruise is really going to happen (and I don't think it will).  I wish they would offer (like the RCCL companies) to let people move their bookings to a similar cruise the next year.  Would take that offer in a heartbeat at this point.

Sorry to be a downer...