Say What! You're charging me a service charge?

My grandson and I booked for July 27th 2020 on the Paradise from Tampa which I paid in full,  cancelled by Carnival. So I immediately re-booked on the Magic out of Miami for August 23rd 2020 asking for no refunds except for Future Cruise Credit. In which they charged me another deposit of $99 each plus the insurance of $49 each. Now they say I must pay the balance by May 25th. Yet no refunds sent.  Then I get this email from Carnival Charging me $50 per person Service Charge. This can't be right?

CANCELLATION LETTER
5/8/2020
RE:
Non-Refundable Cancellation Confirmation
Booking#:
H12TK2
Dear Guest/Travel Partner,
We are sorry that your reservation has cancelled. As you know, your cruise fare carries a non-refundable deposit.
However, we’ve extended a future cruise credit in the amount of the deposit received less a $50 pp service fee.
The future cruise credit must be redeemed within 24 months from the date of cancellation, for bookings available
under the same currency, and can only be applied to your cruise fare. The future cruise credit is non-refundable, non
-transferable, and any unused portion will be forfeited. After you have booked your cruise, please use the link below
to provide us with the new booking information so we can process your cruise credit.
Please note, should your new reservation cancel at any time, applicable cancellation penalties will be assessed and
the offer will be forfeited. If you receive a refund or any other compensation from any party or travel insurer, this offer
will be void.
Booking Ref: H12TK2 CARNIVAL PARADISE 07/27/2020
Guest Names

05/08/2020
USD 99.00
USD 99.00
We’re looking forward to having you sail with us in the future.
Sincerely,
Guest Services
Carnival Cruise Line

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, shof515 said:

this is a normal automated email..do not worry about this. there is no penalty for cancelling. 

Um, yes there is. The “no penalty for cancelling” was only for cruises through Sep 30th that were booked before a certain date in March (I can’t recall the exact date). If the OP booked after that date and cancelled his cruise before Carnival did, then he is subject to the loss of $50 per person under the Early Saver rate cancellation policy. 

Edited by Cruising_Addict
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Cruising_Addict said:

Um, yes there is. The “no penalty for cancelling” was only for cruises through Sep 30th that were booked before a certain date in March (I can’t recall the exact date). If the OP booked after that date and cancelled his cruise before Carnival did, then he is subject to the loss of $50 per person under the Early Saver rate cancellation policy. 

OP said Carnival cancelled.  He should not be charged a penalty if Carnival cancelled.  In any event, it would be worth a phone call to Carnival. 

• Like 4

Its some sort of a technical charge that is to be charged no matter whether you canceled the cruise or not. The thing is that if you want those 50 $ back, you will need to file a new claim specifically for it because that thing doesnt care about the criser operation and covid. It charges you automatically no matter what

As shof515 said, it's automated and you can ignore it.  It's been reported and talked about here several times now. I received one as well and can confirm I wasn't really charged a penalty.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

Its some sort of a technical charge that is to be charged no matter whether you canceled the cruise or not. The thing is that if you want those 50 $ back, you will need to file a new claim specifically for it because that thing doesnt care about the criser operation and covid. It charges you automatically no matter what

thats ridiculous that they cant stop that auto charge during this period. 

• Like 1

On 5/9/2020 at 11:31 AM, Cruising_Addict said:

I got the same email after they cancelled my cruise.  I called customer service, they said it’s an automated email and to disregard it.

Same here.  My penalty was $500 outlined in an email similar to that above.  That was then given back as a credit on the new cruise I subsequently booked.  Carnival cancelled my initial cruise and I opted for FCC and OBC.