Orlando Ashford needs to resign now!

nyceve

Regardless of the current situation Mr Ashford lacked the necessary skill-sets and experience from the get-go.  Some of the initiatives launched under his tenure like the Music Walk Concept (Lincoln Center Stage, BB Kings, Billboard Onboard, Rolling Stone Rock Room) have been pluses for the line in my opinion, while others have not.

Here's to hoping that once the current situation has passed that HAL can emerge a stronger brand with a more consistent product and leadership.

• Like 6

Please forgive me if I've missed it, but I would think that, at a time like this, the Legal department is the controlling entity for any communication - period. This explains the delays, prevarication, silence, and just about everything else being complained about. It may well be that management agrees (and may well have suggested a course of action (or non-action)), but Legal almost certainly has the final say in just about anything, and likely has initiated many things as well. I think management may not have the free hand to say or act that everyone thinks it has.

18 hours ago, rotjeknor said:

Anyhow I meant about being saved, that the fire was as good as extinguished at one point , but somebody opened a door to the engine room and the flow of oxygen gave the fire new energy.... there was no CO2 left to fight the rekindled fire.

That is my understanding as to what happened as well.  I have ordered the two new (to me) referenced books and I am anxious to read what those authors are able to relate.    

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Not so. There are a number of us who don't want to see blood, we just want HAL to do their job at least as well as other lines in the same situation are doing it.

I think this is fair. I love HAL. It is the best fit for us and it's history and tradition I think is special and something the company should be proud of. THAT however does not mean the company does no wrong. Communications with some folks have been abysmal. That in the age of email is inexcusable and does indeed deserve explanation and apology. Our PCC, a gem among PCCs, has communicated with us well and we will be patient. We are on day 60 something now. She knows we want our FCC applied to our December cruise and final payment isn't until October so I would rather she spend her time helping others who are more anxious or who have questions/requests about cash refunds. 

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 2

On 5/10/2020 at 6:35 PM, Captain Ricky said:

If you want the insider story from the other half of the inside read Captain Stephen Corcoran.  Steve was the XO on the USCG Cutter Boutwell.  He interviewed Coasties, Canadian Forces, US Air Force, Survivors from the ship and the first responders from Sitka, Valdz and Yakutat.  Full disclosure, he used some of my interviews from Sitka.  He also had access to both the USCG inquiry results and the Dutch Merchant Marine investigation as well as logs, radio logs form tankers etc.  

There is a third book "Burning Cold" by H Paul Jeffers.  Paul was a CBS reporter covering the story (As I was for Alaska Public Radio and NPR).  His book is more in the story telling style, so is a more entertaining read but since he got it out relatively quickly , before the inquiry reports from the USCG and the Dutch, it has some factual errors omissions and misinformation although generally it is a good account. 

I just received my copy of Steve Corcoran's book and am looking forward to reading it.  Thanks for the reference.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Btimmer said:

I just received my copy of Steve Corcoran's book and am looking forward to reading it.  Thanks for the reference.

My book arrived Saturday.  Quite a tome; much larger than I expected.  But, I am sure it will be an informative read.

Now, with the book written by a Prinsendam's Officer's account of the tragedy to read as well, my need to "shelter in place" will be a rewarding experience as I read these books.

On 5/11/2020 at 4:29 PM, YXU AC*SE said:

Across all brands of Carnival Corp: 

Source: Carnival Corporation & plc First Quarter Report 2020 aka Form 10-Q   https://www.carnivalcorp.com/static-files/1aa63f22-c821-4e1f-b48b-98aab1d754ad                 Scott. 

image.thumb.png.77485d40fe68d2f647b7bbca8457c031.png

Interesting reading.  Thank you for posting it.

On 5/10/2020 at 8:50 AM, DFD1 said:

HAL reused the name Prinsendam after the sinking of the previous Prinsendam in the Bay of Alaska. Fortunately and thanks to heroic efforts of the crew and coast guard....and a near-by freighter, no one was killed.

Prinsendam Fire October 4, 1980

http://www.alaska.net/~jcassidy/pop-mech.htm

They were very lucky.

14 minutes ago, Captain Ricky said:

They were, but the Coast Guard helped make that luck.  It was an above and beyond exercise.

Indeed.

I read elsewhere that some ships' Radio Ofc involved in that rescue used it as an example to plead the case for not dropping the requirement that ships carry them when the likes of INMARSAT became operational. They lost.

7 minutes ago, pspercy said:

Indeed.

I read elsewhere that some ships' Radio Ofc involved in that rescue used it as an example to plead the case for not dropping the requirement that ships carry them when the likes of INMARSAT became operational. They lost.

David Ring, who was the Radio Officer on the Williamsburg, the closest ship to respond has made that argument eloquently.  They didn't listen.  

On 5/17/2020 at 7:51 PM, rkacruiser said:

My book arrived Saturday.  Quite a tome; much larger than I expected.  But, I am sure it will be an informative read.

Now, with the book written by a Prinsendam's Officer's account of the tragedy to read as well, my need to "shelter in place" will be a rewarding experience as I read these books.

I am currently reading the book written by the 2nd Officer of the Prinsendam.   None Was Lost that was written by a USCG officer has arrived as well.  Reading the Officer's book, I have learned some things that I did not know before.  Unfortunately , the newspaper articles illustrated in the book are in Dutch.  My Dutch is very limited.  But, the text of the book explains what the reader wants to know.  Excellent photos and illustrations of the Prinsendam are included.  

2 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

When we were in Sitka last year, I took a picture of this - I think it was in the centre where the shuttle bus dropped us in town.

IMG_1147.thumb.jpeg.3e18894cab21f197e2c9e06e62c84a84.jpeg

That certificate is in Centennial Hall.  Sitka EMTs and nurses were flown to the Williamsburg to set up a clinic on board for survivors.  A Sitka Doctor was flown to Yakutat to set up an emergence clinic there for survivors.  In Sitka Doctors were waiting for patients who told them their prescription meds.  The two docs wrote script and people went to the drug store across the street to have them filled.  Folks in Sitka made food for the survivors, invited them home for dinner.  Stores opened up.  At the end of the day you could not buy toothpaste, underwear, tampons, and lots of other things but the town pulled together and  aside from loss  of their possessions, it ended well for the passengers.  

• Like 1

One of the great, if not the greatest, sea rescue events. Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed reading every post about the MV Prinsendam disaster.

I have read one of the books. Looking forward to the others.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2020 at 10:43 AM, nyceve said:

If you love Holland America as much as most of us do.  Then, it seems to me, that you may agree that HAL needs new leadership at the top.

Mr. Ashford has mishandled this crisis in the most deplorable way possible. Silence.

Actually, there has been a significant number of posters on CC who have opposed Ashford since he joined HAL.  The current situation is little more than another excuse.

28 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Actually, there has been a significant number of posters on CC who have opposed Ashford since he joined HAL.  The current situation is little more than another excuse.

Hmmm  - I agree with you partially on this but overall I don’t agree.

There were a number of leery people (myself included) on how someone who had no knowledge of cruising and was in HR could take the helm of HAL and steer it properly.

While I will certainly acknowledge that a few of the changes made under his leadership may have been good, many were not IMO and  many not appreciated to say the least. Some even left HAL with less direction as a cruise line than before.

The current situation is not an excuse IMO - it’s the icing on the cake that was not well baked.  JMO

44 minutes ago, kazu said:

While I will certainly acknowledge that a few of the changes made under his leadership may have been good, many were not IMO and  many not appreciated to say the least. Some even left HAL with less direction as a cruise line than before.

I agree with your statement.  Another thought that has not been considered very often is the amount of senior executives of HAL that have retired or left HAL during Mr. Ashford's tenure.  There have been at least two, I believe, Senior Executives for Food and Beverage after the previous gentleman retired.  The first replacement made changes that I found disappointing.  Others must have agreed because he left and was replaced by a different gentlemen.  This man "righted the ship" with menus that were more appealing, better food quality and preparation in the MDR and Lido while keeping the successful restaurants, i.e. Dive-in, Tamarind, etc.  (This is my opinion, of course.)  The tinkering of the wine list has continued, unfortunately, at least through my most recent cruises in December/January.  

5 hours ago, Captain Ricky said:

We got our refund from HAL today on our credit card within the 60 days.

Haven't you read the other posts? There are no refunds; they are just holding the money before they go bankrupt. The only way is to involve the credit card company by contesting the charges.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1