Orlando Ashford needs to resign now!

nyceve

23 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

As for only "the elderly" being responsible, I have observed many who were much younger than me nodding off.

As have I 😉 We don’t “nod off” in the Crow’s Nest.  We’re there to view and in the evening for drinks enjoying (in the past) the piano man in the Crow’s Nest on the Prinsendam and BBKings on the Rotterdam.  

For those that like to say the ship rolls up the carpets at 10 pm, on those cruises the Crow’s Nest was packed and we were all having a great time 😄   And spending money 😉 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

That is not an Orlando Ashford caused problem.  Chair hogs have been with us on many cruise lines for a very long time.

Of course it isn't but the lack of comfortable chairs overall, including the eliminating the library.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Captain Ricky said:

Of course it isn't but the lack of comfortable chairs overall, including the eliminating the library.

Think about this for a moment.  The CEO of a cruise line decides what type of chairs will be installed in a particular venue?  Or eliminating the library?    That's what, I would expect, a lesser Executive, someone with a Senior V-P type title would have, to make such a decision. 

Not excusing Mr, Ashford:  the "buck stops with him" .  My opinion:  there has been failures on hiring some of the Executive V-P's for "this and that" that have gotten us to where we are.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Amazing!  You have never nodded off for a bit during a "down time" of your day?

Yes, in my cabin where I'm not hogging a chair that others might want to use to enjoy the view.

Anytime when over half the chairs are occupied by nappers, it's not a matter of just 'nodding off'.  It's pre-planned.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

So now we have two reasons to sack Ashford, the style of chairs and the library?

Seriously, does anyone else notice how absurd these criticisms have become?

Why do you think we are reading this?  Purely for the entertainment! (at least I am).  You have to take most everything on Cruise Critic with a grain of salt or a bag of popcorn,  whichever you choose. 

27 minutes ago, Diver2014 said:

Why do you think we are reading this?  Purely for the entertainment! (at least I am).  You have to take most everything on Cruise Critic with a grain of salt or a bag of popcorn,  whichever you choose. 

The criticisms of Ashford come to this:    "Oh, the humanity, Ashford changed things!"

The bottom line seems to be:  the Crow's Nest was  a very nice, peaceful place with very comfortable chairs, a perfect place to take a nap.  Then Ashford took away the peace and quiet of the library and installed a noisy coffee bar. 

But his biggest transgression was his failure to run these changes by the 4* & 5* Mariners who know far more about how to run a cruise line.  Of course, they would have complained then about Ashford waking them up from their naps in the Crows Nest to ask them.

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

But his biggest transgression was his failure to run these changes by the 4* & 5* Mariners who know far more about how to run a cruise line

know far more than a HR person?  Quite possibly! 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

know far more than a HR person?  Quite possibly! 

But extremely unlikely.  If those 4* & 5* Mariners know so much about running a cruise line, then why is it their most common criticism that Ashford took away their library and they don't like the furniture in the Crows Nest?

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 1

I become irritated when people continually complain about "the loss of the Crow's Nest" due the changes that were made.  Think about this:  what is the major advantage of the Crow's Nest for a cruiser that many other ships lack?  My answer:  the ability to sightsee in scenic cruising areas in a comfortable setting with easily heard, if provided, commentary over the PA.  That has not changed!  Compare this amenity with a competitor of HAL's:  Princess Cruises.  Other than Island Princess and Coral Princess, there is no such comparable lounge available on their ships.  Even on Coral Princess and Island Princess, such an area is part of the Horizon Court, their buffet restaurant and during prime meal times, seating for sightseeing is hard to get.  

Yes, I miss the Library and The Captain's Corner.  The addition of Exploration's Cafe makes no difference for me.  Shore Excursions Office takes up little guest space and the information available with the interactive panels might enhance one's views of the scenery.  Maybe some of the furniture is not as comfortable as it used to be, but, when the room is full for scenic sightseeing and the crew has to set up folding chairs for us to use, I have yet to hear anyone complaining about having to sit on those chairs.  

Think about the utilization of the Crow's Nest over the years, including pre-Orlando Ashford.  Other than recognizing the venue for sightseeing, I don't think they ever have had a consistent view of how this Lounge ought to be used.  Sole guitarist/soloist, small combo for dancing, a BB King's group on Rotterdam VI (if not others), a DJ,  and now:  no entertainment at all in the evening.  During the day on some ships, the Crow's Nest is still used for trivia and bingo and HH, I think.  

There's revenue potential in that Lounge above the Bridge that HAL is going to need.  Develop a decent business plan that appeals to the guests and stick with it!  Stop the tinkering that has gone on for years!  

• Like 5

The crow's nest has always been a big money maker, great views during the day and after 5pm it became a great 'night' club with music and dancing. They were making about 1250$ per night, now it's closed at 7:30pm, with no help and no people, no money...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

The crow's nest has always been a big money maker, great views during the day and after 5pm it became a great 'night' club with music and dancing. They were making about 1250$ per night, now it's closed at 7:30pm, with no help and no people, no money...

And, why is this?  Makes no sense to you, I think, and most certainly makes no sense to me.  

8 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

I don't understand HAL's use of the Crow's Nest at all. On one of our recent cruises, Happy Hour was in there as well as in the Ocean Bar. The Crow's Nest was packed with people looking for a place to sit. The bar tenders and waiters could not keep up with the drink orders. Then, the minute Happy Hour was finished, they closed the bar. Everyone left and within an hour the place was as quiet as a tomb.

It just makes no sense to me....why not bring in a small combo,  keep the bar open and keep counting the money...into the night?

Crazy. IMO

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, DFD1 said:

I don't understand HAL's use of the Crow's Nest at all. On one of our recent cruises, Happy Hour was in there as well as in the Ocean Bar. The Crow's Nest was packed with people looking for a place to sit. The bar tenders and waiters could not keep up with the drink orders. Then, the minute Happy Hour was finished, they closed the bar. Everyone left and within an hour the place was as quiet as a tomb.

It just makes no sense to me....why not bring in a small combo,  keep the bar open and keep counting the money...into the night?

Crazy. IMO

I suspect that the minute happy hour ended, the drink ordrers stopped.

On 5/25/2020 at 9:30 AM, Diver2014 said:

What good is popcorn with out salt?

I'll take both, please. Oh and butter, lots of butter😁

2 hours ago, DFD1 said:

Slowed perhaps, but not stopped. There was simply no reason to stay. Some music would have helped keep people there, IMO.

I doubt music would have helped.  Time to go to dinner.

Free food might have worked better than music.

Edited by RocketMan275

2 hours ago, DFD1 said:

Slowed perhaps, but not stopped. There was simply no reason to stay. Some music would have helped keep people there, IMO.

Agree with you on the music.  On the P’dam there were lots of us there until midnight - 1 am when the piano man ended.  On the Rotterdam, we had the BBKings and the place was packed until late into the night.

Many stayed after BBKings final set.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kazu said:

On the Rotterdam, we had the BBKings and the place was packed until late into the night.

That BB King's on the Rotterdam was the best.  Like a real blues/jazz club.  Close to the band, low ceiling and lots of atmosphere.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

I suspect that the minute happy hour ended, the drink ordrers stopped.

Not my experience.

11 hours ago, DFD1 said:

Slowed, yes.  Some additional reason to remain would have helped.

9 hours ago, HamOp said:

What good is popcorn with out salt?

I'll take both, please. Oh and butter, lots of butter😁

What popcorn?  My most recent HAL cruise included a dedicated movie theater visit or two was on the Volendam, 2019/2020.  If there was popcorn available, there wasn't much and those not attending the movie snatched whatever bags there may have been.  I saw only a few fellow guests that were enjoying the popcorn during the movie.  

I don't know if he is the one that made the decision to get rid of the full promenade deck on the two newest ships or not but that was not very popular. There was lots of posts complaining when they were first launched.  

• Like 1