Will there be any further Regents cruises in 2020?

2 hours ago, gb58 said:

I have heard (not done research...) that the main reason for wearing a mask in Asian countries (pre-Covid) is to protect against air pollution (smog, fine particles etc.)  not airborne diseases...

This tracks with our experience in Beijing a few years ago. The first two days were crystal clear with very low pollution. We saw very few masks. The third day had more pollution and more masks were being worn. The pollution on the fourth day was terrible. You could barely see the buildings across the street. Most everyone we saw was wearing a mask.

Dave

31 minutes ago, eliana said:

We seem to be going off subject which is asking will there be future Regent cruises in 2020. I fear the answer still seems to be no or unlikely, which is bad news for those of us who have FCCs. But if cruises  started again would any of you fly to them?

How?

Not sure how many airlines are flying much of a timetable. Also 14 day quarantine rules and how are the crew going to get to the ships as well? 

Lack of airlines will be the main negative to easy starting up again.

3 minutes ago, GrJ Berkshire said:

Lack of airlines will be the main negative to easy starting up again.

Why, many ports are drivable and millions live near USA ports in FL, TX, and CA let alone WA, NY, and NJ.  Who needs to fly to just get on a cruise?  Of course, we like to cruise to see the world so we would have to fly; not true for probably 75%+ of American cruisers.

Marc

Edited by mrlevin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, eliana said:

We seem to be going off subject which is asking will there be future Regent cruises in 2020. I fear the answer still seems to be no or unlikely, which is bad news for those of us who have FCCs. But if cruises  started again would any of you fly to them?

We have a long flight for our November cruised are not overly concerned.  We have disinfected the space around us on airplanes for years.  Now the planes seats, walls, etc. are being sprayed with disinfectant.  I wish that airlines would take temperatures before boarding - even though it is not effective if you have just been exposed or are having no symptoms.  

So far there have been no difficulties in booking flights for our November 2020, January 2021 and March 2021 cruises.

In terms of sailing in 2020, it really depends upon a lot of things.  First, for Regent, they need approval from the Center for Disease Control in the U.S.  Then they need to see what countries are open to cruise ships (at the moment, the U.S. and U.K. seem to be negative targets in terms of being welcome in some countries.  

A lot has happened in the last three months and we need to see what happens between now and September.

@SusieQft Here on Guernsey we have adopted a 1 metre and 2 metre rule. 1 metre in a controlled space e.g. restaurant (where the restaurant has to keep a record of all tables and their occupants), and 2 metres in uncontrolled space e.g. shopping. 

We have had no new cases throughout the month of May and no active cases for 5 or 6 days. 

The penalty for freedom from the disease is no off-island travel for ?? I don’t know. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mariners said:

Yes, I am one of those people who believe that our world is about "us" and not about "me".

Thank you for saying this.

3 hours ago, gb58 said:

I have heard (not done research...) that the main reason for wearing a mask in Asian countries (pre-Covid) is to protect against air pollution (smog, fine particles etc.)  not airborne diseases...

My perception is that it's both reasons.  The Japanese have routinely worn masks to protect others from infection for a long time.  And I've seen it in other countries too, where there was no perceptible air pollution problem.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

We have a long flight for our November cruised are not overly concerned.  We have disinfected the space around us on airplanes for years.  Now the planes seats, walls, etc. are being sprayed with disinfectant.  I wish that airlines would take temperatures before boarding - even though it is not effective if you have just been exposed or are having no symptoms.  

So far there have been no difficulties in booking flights for our November 2020, January 2021 and March 2021 cruises.

In terms of sailing in 2020, it really depends upon a lot of things.  First, for Regent, they need approval from the Center for Disease Control in the U.S.  Then they need to see what countries are open to cruise ships (at the moment, the U.S. and U.K. seem to be negative targets in terms of being welcome in some countries.  

A lot has happened in the last three months and we need to see what happens between now and September.

I have a short flight (Boston to NYC) at the end of October and a slightly longer one a couple of weeks later (Miami to Boston).  Regent has issued the flight details, so I assume we're good to go.  Of course, many things could potentially change all that between now and departure day.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

25 minutes ago, FrequentFloater333 said:

I have a short flight (Boston to NYC) at the end of October and a slightly longer one a couple of weeks later (Miami to Boston).  Regent has issued the flight details, so I assume we're good to go.  Of course, many things could potentially change all that between now and departure day.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Where are you scheduled to cruise?

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

The problem with that is that airlines are acting like the cruise lines, scheduling flights that they have no intention of actually flying, and then cancelling much closer to the flight date.

15 minutes ago, EAGLESLOVER said:

Where are you scheduled to cruise?

Bermuda, eastern Caribbean and southern Caribbean, primarily.  Cuba was on the original itinerary, but that's now off limits (once again).  At least I made it to Cuba a couple of times, when it was permissible.  BTW, this will be on Navigator.

16 minutes ago, BBWC said:

The problem with that is that airlines are acting like the cruise lines, scheduling flights that they have no intention of actually flying, and then cancelling much closer to the flight date.

Good point!  Hopefully, when cruises resume and more countries open their borders, this will no longer be the case.  

Received the following email today from our TA:

We've requested that Regent retroactively apply their new “Return With Regent” program that offers $1000 double occupancy ($500 per person) Shipboard Credit (SBC) to your existing bookings that qualify.  This promotion was intended for new bookings only, however if your booking doesn't already have a better offer and the rate has not increased since you first booked, then Regent, at XXXXX's request, has agreed to honor the new offer on your  booking #xxxxxx. Please note, that in order to receive the $1000 ($500 per person) SBC under this new promotional offer, the former “Regent Reassurance” offer of allowing you to cancel your booking within 48 hours of embarkation for 100% Future Cruise Credit will now be under Regent's “Return With Regent” reassurance program that allows you to cancel within 15 days of embarkation for 100% Future Cruise Credit.

Please Reply to this email no later than Friday, June 5, 2020 with your choice: 

1. Accept the $1000 SBC and the 15 day cancel policy 

2. Do not accept the $1000 SBC and retain the 48 hours cancel policy.

If we do not receive an email from you, no changes will be made to your booking. 

This is for our October 12 LA to LA Mariner cruise to Mexico. It seems that Regent intends to sail this cruise or why would they be doing this? We have no idea what we'll spend the $1000 on, as there are no pay shore excursions listed (except car and driver) and we are not spa people. Just hoping we have to grapple with that problem!

40 minutes ago, labonnevie said:

We've requested that Regent retroactively apply their new “Return With Regent” program that offers $1000 double occupancy ($500 per person) Shipboard Credit (SBC) to your existing bookings that qualify.  This promotion was intended for new bookings only, however if your booking doesn't already have a better offer and the rate has not increased since you first booked, then Regent, at XXXXX's request, has agreed to honor the new offer on your  booking #xxxxxx. Please note, that in order to receive the $1000 ($500 per person) SBC under this new promotional offer, the former “Regent Reassurance” offer of allowing you to cancel your booking within 48 hours of embarkation for 100% Future Cruise Credit will now be under Regent's “Return With Regent” reassurance program that allows you to cancel within 15 days of embarkation for 100% Future Cruise Credit.

If we do not receive an email from you, no changes will be made to your booking. 

This is for our October 12 LA to LA Mariner cruise to Mexico. It seems that Regent intends to sail this cruise or why would they be doing this? We have no idea what we'll spend the $1000 on, as there are no pay shore excursions listed (except car and driver) and we are not spa people. Just hoping we have to grapple with that problem!

We took advantage of this today.  Great perk!

We have also taken advantage of this new offer of $1,000. OBC for all our upcoming cruises, through our TA. 
All our future cruises are in and out of Miami for the next two years. We do not want to worry about flying around the world and cruising to far away places at this time. 
sheila

15 hours ago, mariners said:

cruiseluv, if I am interpreting your post correctly, you are stating that people who choose to wear masks, follow social distancing, and other "law/regulation" are fearful and should either put up with those who choose not to follow the "law/regulation" or "stay home".  I believe that people who choose not to follow the "law/regulation" will be one of the main reasons that cruise lines in 2020 and, perhaps, 2021, will have difficulty sailing with enough passengers to be profitable, will be prohibited from sailing to different countries, and will not be allowed to dock in some ports.   

I

No, you're not interpreting what I said correctly, I'm for freedom and choice. People that chose to wear masks, even if its not required, that's totally fine for me. What's not fine is if those same people insist that I wear the mask in situations where its not required just so they feel safe. I'm not going to do it just to please them. Where I live most stores require I wear a mask to shop there, so I do, not a problem. When I walk around I don't , where I live its not required. And you don't have to worry about me flaunting the "regulations" should Regent or any other cruise line require people to walk around with masks . In that case I will not be cruising, and I suspect anybody that thinks like me will not cruise either.  I doubt anybody would pay for an expensive cruise just to start quarreling about regulations once they board

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruiseluv said:

No, you're not interpreting what I said correctly, I'm for freedom and choice. People that chose to wear masks, even if its not required, that's totally fine for me. What's not fine is if those same people insist that I wear the mask in situations where its not required just so they feel safe. I'm not going to do it just to please them. Where I live most stores require I wear a mask to shop there, so I do, not a problem. When I walk around I don't , where I live its not required. And you don't have to worry about me flaunting the "regulations" should Regent or any other cruise line require people to walk around with masks . In that case I will not be cruising, and I suspect anybody that thinks like me will not cruise either.  I doubt anybody would pay for an expensive cruise just to start quarreling about regulations once they board

I do not believe that there will be quarreling on Regent ships.  There will be no choice for passengers other than to follow protocol. Regent has too much to lose if someone on board gets sick due to not following protocol.  I've already seen a Captain on a Regent ship wearing a mask (on Voyager).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, labonnevie said:

We made the same request for our October 5 LA to LA Mariner cruise to Mexico and were told that our cruise did not qualify for this promotion, after being told it did. Seems the original Agent "made a mistake". This last response was confirmed by a Supervisor. 

Mariner Alaska cruises are waitlisted - fist Mariner cruise 5 October out of LA.

Navigator Europe and Canada cruises are waitlisted - first Navigator cruise 30 October out of NY.

Marc

3 hours ago, labonnevie said:

I would suggest going through your TA. Ours does a huge amount of business with Regent so they may have some extra pull. 

Our TA just managed to get the $1,000 OBC applied on two cruises we have booked in 2021 and another one in 2022.  You just can't beat a good TA!

• Like 1

Well, we are now paid in full.  After paying,  our TA informed me that this Friday is her final day.  I didn’t pry and wished her well.  I sure hope whoever picks up our booking is competent.

Come on October, I need a vacation!!

5 hours ago, jawz33 said:

Well, we are now paid in full.  After paying,  our TA informed me that this Friday is her final day.  I didn’t pry and wished her well.  I sure hope whoever picks up our booking is competent.

Come on October, I need a vacation!!

What a shame for your agent.  Must be happening to a lot of them, so sorry about it.

WRT "Return with Regent," you can get this applied to an existing reservation even if the fare has increased...by paying up to the new fare.  At least, that's the policy as explained to our TA.  We have 2 cruises on the books (Splendor in January, and Explorer in March 2022).  Since we are quite pessimistic about the January cruise, at least WRT whether we'd feel good about taking it, and because the fare has increased by $400/pp, we passed on this since we'd have only gained a net $100/pp.  Also have already booked excursions with no Regent Choice(s), so the only expenses we'll have (if we go) will be some Culinary Kitchen and spa charges which would likely not exceed $800.

However, for our Explorer March 2022 Japan cruise, the delta in fare was just $100 and we will definitely have a bunch of Regent Choice excursions, Culinary Kitchen, spa, etc.  Credit has immediately shown up, but our new Guest Statement from Regent shows the original fare.  I'm not expecting a later adjustment since we have a statement (invoice) which shows our contractual details. I'm thinking of the missing $200 charge as a (very) modest compensation in the long wait for our refund for a May cruise cancelled by Regent.

Scott, we are in same situation on our 2021 cruise, the fare has gone up $200 per person so we should just get $600 shipboard credit.  As this is a Grand Voyage, you have to cancel 65 days in advance instead of 15, not that good of benefit as still need to purchase cancellation insurance.

Marc