Will there be any further Regents cruises in 2020?

34 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

People, PLEASE!  Do you really believe this is the "new normal"? This  'physical distancing' over the long run is not the way humans live.  What happened after the Spanush Flu...or Ebola...or SARS...none of this nonsense for sure. 

Unfortunately, I do believe that this is the new normal - at least until everyone is vaccinated.  At the moment, scientists believe that this is one of most contagious of the flu strains and is unlike Ebola or SARS.  In terms of the Spanish flu, if they had thought of the measures that most states have taken, there likely would have been less deaths.  

The good news is that there will likely be a vaccine available (developed probably faster than any vaccine in history) within a few months.  

Note:  Just looked up the Spanish flu.  It is estimated that it killed 20-50 million people.  We should do everything that we can to contain this novel virus before it gets further out of control.

Edited by Travelcat2
  • Like 2

Yes I do believe that this is the new normal, at least in the short term, especially where larger groups of people congregate. COVID-19 is different than SARS and Ebola in that it is much more highly contagious. Hopefully it goes away in the same way that SARS and Ebola did but most medical experts don't expect it to behave in the same way. Things will gradually get better as more people gain immunity, a vaccine is readily available and a treatment is found for those who get very sick and require hospitalization. This is my opinion based on the medical opinions of the likes of Dr Fauci and others. I understand that there are many opinions. At this time, who knows how this will play out, so we are only left with opinions and guesses.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Unfortunately, I do believe that this is the new normal - at least until everyone is vaccinated.  At the moment, scientists believe that this is one of most contagious of the flu strains and is unlike Ebola or SARS.  In terms of the Spanish flu, if they had thought of the measures that most states have taken, there likely would have been less deaths.  

The good news is that there will likely be a vaccine available (developed probably faster than any vaccine in history) within a few months.  

Note:  Just looked up the Spanish flu.  It is estimated that it killed 20-50 million people.  We should do everything that we can to contain this novel virus before it gets further out of control.

TC, I was posting at the same time and our responses are in agreement. How about that! We finally agree on something. 🙂

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, wristband said:

Why not cancel now, get your cash back, then wait & watch for much lower fares in 4Q?  More than likely,  demand will be anemic to get on a cruise ship headed for ports which are questionable in terms of their welcome.

Have you seen how Oceania is now deeply discounting its fares?  Regent will likely have to follow to fill excess capacity. 

We booked this cruise almost a year ago, while the pricing was at its lowest.  I do not think that they will drop so low as to warrant bothering my TA and offsetting the cancellation fee.

5 hours ago, ddsun1 said:

Susie,

Would you explain how to do the 'one cabin at a time' search?  I have tried on all our past Regent cruises and never figured this out!

Thank you!

ddsun1, I posted the answer to this last night, but apparently it has been deleted.  I had quoted a post that had quoted another post with a link to a TA, and I guess that is too close to the edge.  Although the link to the TA website was not included in my post, I did comment that I could not figure out how to do this there (or any other TA website that I have tried), as was claimed by the person who gave the link to the TA website.  It does seem a bit over and above for TA websites.  They often give the availability by category, but not by cabin.

I will post the answer to your question in a new post, just in case this one disappears also.

5 hours ago, ddsun1 said:

Susie,

Would you explain how to do the 'one cabin at a time' search?  I have tried on all our past Regent cruises and never figured this out!

Thank you!

I think you need to be signed in to your account on the Regent website at some point in this process, so I find it easiest to start there.  Then find a cruise and "View Itinerary," then "Plan My Cruise."  Answer the questions and then "Continue."  Then "Select" a suite by clicking in the right hand column.  (You will need to make your way back to this page to look at a different suite category.)  The next page will show up to six available suites.  If it is less than six, that is all that are left in that category.  If there are six, you can drill down a bit by selecting the deck and port or starboard to get the most forward 6 suites meeting that description.  It will not tell you what is available behind them.  There is a search box to search for a specific suite, but it does not work at the moment, so at least right now you cannot actually search one cabin at a time.

Crystal's website has a similar function. I just checked there and their search box for one cabin at a time is working.  I thought I had succeeded in doing this on Regent in the past, but now I wonder if perhaps I was remembering doing it on Crystal and that the function never worked on Regent.  But there is still a good bit of cabin specific information if you like the front of the ship or categories with not many suites on a particular deck, or if the ship is nearly full.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mudhen said:

Be careful! I got "my hand slapped" for doing basically the same thing....beware!

Yes - trying to get around the system is not a good idea!  

To get back on track, you are on the same cruise that we are on in November.  I interpreted Frank Del Rio's interview a bit differently than some other people.  I believe that there will be one ship to do a couple of test cruises - likely local - maybe East Coast since it will likely be hurricane season in the Caribbean in the late third quarter of 2020 - the time cruises will likely resume.  He acknowledged that Regent passengers want to keep their itineraries so it is likely that by the beginning of the fourth quarter of 2020 (October), if all goes well, ships will begin to receive crew members, do training, etc,  There is still hope for late October cruises.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

ddsun1, I posted the answer to this last night, but apparently it has been deleted.  I had quoted a post that had quoted another post with a link to a TA, and I guess that is too close to the edge.  Although the link to the TA website was not included in my post, I did comment that I could not figure out how to do this there (or any other TA website that I have tried), as was claimed by the person who gave the link to the TA website.  It does seem a bit over and above for TA websites.  They often give the availability by category, but not by cabin.

I will post the answer to your question in a new post, just in case this one disappears also.

Thank you, much - Susie, for both answers!

4 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

If this is the new normal than we do not wish to sail under those conditions.  Would be no fun at all so why do it.  And pay a lot of money also.  Will wait until things return to as before. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RJB said:

If this is the new normal than we do not wish to sail under those conditions.  Would be no fun at all so why do it.  And pay a lot of money also.  Will wait until things return to as before. 

Everyone has reasons for their decisions.  Whether you choose to cruise or not to, your opinion should be respected.  

Do you have plans to do a local land vacation?  Since some airlines are now requiring the wearing of masks, that is another decision that has to be made.  When I hear predictions of this going on for three years, I shudder!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Do you have plans to do a local land vacation?  Since some airlines are now requiring the wearing of masks, that is another decision that has to be made.  When I hear predictions of this going on for three years, I shudder!

I truly can't see that happening, they can't make it happen now. Last week there were big stories how United (and I point them out as that is who we fly) will be leaving the middle seats open.  But I saw stories this morning from a doctor who flew out of Newark with a full plane, no empty seats. I just can't see how they will do this and make a profit. Flying will always be the biggest part for me as we can't drive to a port to board a ship.

7 minutes ago, LvnCruisin said:

I truly can't see that happening, they can't make it happen now. Last week there were big stories how United (and I point them out as that is who we fly) will be leaving the middle seats open.  But I saw stories this morning from a doctor who flew out of Newark with a full plane, no empty seats. I just can't see how they will do this and make a profit. Flying will always be the biggest part for me as we can't drive to a port to board a ship.

As you know, Regent flies international passengers in Business Class which is a completely scenario than Coach.  We avoid U.S. airlines that have stops in the U.S. because, in most but not all cases, you fly in Coach.  

While I was fearful of flying just a month or two ago, I now believe that flying (with the new restrictions) is safer than going to a grocery store.  

It sounds like you are a nurse.  If I am correct, please accept our gratitude and love for the hard work that you have been doing.  You and your colleagues are truly angels.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Everyone has reasons for their decisions.  Whether you choose to cruise or not to, your opinion should be respected.  

I believe once there is a vaccine, this will let up.  I do believe you will have to show evidence that you had the vaccine.  I am opposed to vaccinations, but I do plan on getting this one, and I do believe it will be available by October, maybe sooner.  

11 hours ago, Caroldoll said:

I believe once there is a vaccine, this will let up.  I do believe you will have to show evidence that you had the vaccine.  I am opposed to vaccinations, but I do plan on getting this one, and I do believe it will be available by October, maybe sooner.  

I agree that once the vaccine is available, things will hopefully begin to loosen up as far as recommendations like wearing masks, social distancing, etc. are involved.  We are lucky that we have no adverse reactions to vaccines and will be eager to get this one when it is available.  For those that usually don't get vaccines, like yourselves, there will now be a choice.  I applaud your decision to get in this case. 

Having a record of a vaccine, or at a minimum having a record of a positive antibody test, may very well become the 'new normal' for boarding a cruise ship in the future.

Let's all hope it is available ASAP.  Can't be quick enough!

Edited by RJ2002
typo
  • Like 2

Dr. Fauci from the CDC says it will take a year to 18 months to develop a vaccine and that's being optimistic.  And even if a vaccine is developed in 12-18 months, it'll take many more months to manufacture sufficient supplies to inoculate the billions of people who will want the vaccine.

The vaccines that I am thinking about are being developed in other countries.  I still have the highest hope for the vaccine being tested in England (Oxford).  They are using a formula that has been used in humans before and so far are very successful.  Not sure if it England or another country, but they are talking about billions of doses by the end of the year.

The question is whether or not the government will allow it in this country (hopefully they will).  IMO, if most of the world is using a vaccine but the U.S. wants to continue trials, the protests that we are seeing now are nothing compared to what we will see.

We still do not know if it will have the effectiveness of the current flu vaccines, how long it will work for, etc.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, bissel said:

Would I be wrong in assuming that if an effective vaccine is developed in another country such as the U.K. it would be quickly shared with other countries?

Agree with your assumption.  The predictions for the number of doses that will be available by the end of the year certainly sounds as if it will be available to other countries.  

It would be shared if the country is part of the recent group brought together by the WHO that have pledged to share the vaccine. Of course, the US has decided not to be part of that group.