I'm sad

I'm sad because the HAL forum on cruisecritic.com used to be the place to go for helpful information.  Now it seems just to be a bunch of Bitter Betties who can't say anything nice, but find lots of things to complain about.  HAL did not create COVID-19 -- in fact no one is certain where it came from -- China?  Europe?  Laboratories?  Wet markets?  And who really cares.  The fact is that we have it, and HAL is dealing with it the best that they can.  News reports are estimating that there are more than 50,000 crew members on ships still trying to get home.  If there are as many passengers -- and probably many, many more -- trying to get a refund, or an FCC, or reschedule, it's going to take time.  It will happen.  And there is no reason to make yourself and other miserable while we're waiting for it.  

Just my two cents.

• Like 37
  • Thanks 6

Do take a look at "The Daily" posted by richwin each day with useful information on where the ships are and a lot of good natured chatter.  One of the brightest spots, not just on the HAL forum but I think all of cruise critic.

Roy

• Like 14

28 minutes ago, Petunia1950 said:

I'm sad because the HAL forum on cruisecritic.com used to be the place to go for helpful information.  Now it seems just to be a bunch of Bitter Betties who can't say anything nice, but find lots of things to complain about.  HAL did not create COVID-19 -- in fact no one is certain where it came from -- China?  Europe?  Laboratories?  Wet markets?  And who really cares.  The fact is that we have it, and HAL is dealing with it the best that they can.  News reports are estimating that there are more than 50,000 crew members on ships still trying to get home.  If there are as many passengers -- and probably many, many more -- trying to get a refund, or an FCC, or reschedule, it's going to take time.  It will happen.  And there is no reason to make yourself and other miserable while we're waiting for it.  

Just my two cents.

And, I will add my two cents as well!

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Petunia1950 said:

Now it seems just to be a bunch of Bitter Betties who can't say anything nice, but find lots of things to complain about. 

Sorry you feel this way. Why are you so sexist -- why name females and not males? Personally, I find all the comments helpful. I don't view them as complaints. I view them as advice as how to get a refund that is due to you. I'm not HAL's banker nor do I want to be.

• Like 1

Petunia 1950

I understand your feelings.  As a long time, very fortunate cruiser (close to 2,000 nights just on cruise ships) I am dismayed at the "Me first" attitude I read into many of the entries on CC.  While this is the worst travel disaster because of the extent of the issues, for us this is only the latest in a string of travel related disruptions.  We have had cruises cancelled and major itinerary changes a number of times (SARS - land and sea trip to Asia, West Nile, Bird Flu altered trips (land and sea) and (9-11 when we were planning to cruise from Barcelona to India through the Med., Red Sea and travel to Oman, etc en route).  Not all the cruises were with HAL, but many of the sea days were with HAL.  My what mashing of teeth, threats of various sorts, dire predictions of the cruise world coming to an end, etc.  In each case those of us fortunate enough to be able to take care of the new alternatives offered to us in each case, such as retired folks) the outcomes were WONDERFUL.  NOW, I realize that this time the extent of the issues effected far exceeds those of our other trips, but my real message is that while everyone wants their money NOW - I suggest we cool things a bit.  Can you imagine the MESS that HAL and other cruise lines are facing with all the cancellations?  If past experiences of myself and our friends mean anything - it will work out - and as happened one time - our "cruise line" did not survive but we still got our money paid back AND the line "sold" our frequent cruiser names AND MILES TO CUNARD so they were not even lost.   No one likes to have a corporation hold our money when we want it back, but we have done very well when cruise lines have done so.  Just our experiences.  Rather than expect the worst (they have stolen my money), have some faith - we have benefited in the situation 100% of the time in the cruise world.                              

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Do take a look at "The Daily" posted by richwin each day with useful information on where the ships are and a lot of good natured chatter.  One of the brightest spots, not just on the HAL forum but I think all of cruise critic.

Roy

Our well said Roy!!! I so agree with you.

Take care

Denise😊

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am an active participant on this Forum as well as the Amtrak Unlimited Forum.  I find participating (maybe just reading the posts) therapeutic at this time.  Ever since I found these Forums, they have been very enjoyable and very informative.  These Forums are a relief from the concerns that I have--maybe all of us have--concerning this horrible virus.  

• Like 5

I agree, lots of complaints lately, I scroll by them and give thanks my family and friends are healthy and safe.....we will cruise later when things are safe.....

• Like 15

15 minutes ago, GabbiRose said:

Sorry you feel this way. Why are you so sexist -- why name females and not males? Personally, I find all the comments helpful. I don't view them as complaints. I view them as advice as how to get a refund that is due to you. I'm not HAL's banker nor do I want to be.

Have to agree with you about the name calling but don’t think it was intentional.   I’d never heard that expression before but it’s kind of “schoolyard” shaming that I would hope exists in the past.  

41 minutes ago, arabrab said:

If the HAL threads aren't gratifying to you, start your own

She did! 

OP, I totally understand where you are coming from---the thrill is gone, is what you are saying. 
So many complaints, from the same people, posted over and over again in each of the myriad of threads. 
No fun at all, and little reason to post anymore. 

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GabbiRose said:

Sorry you feel this way. Why are you so sexist -- why name females and not males?

Oh give me a break. You know perfectly well it is just a manner of speech.

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 1

I know the time I spend here is less and less as the posts get more and more miserable, bitter, and negative. I get enough of that in the daily news. But misery loves company so let the miserable be miserable together I guess. We who are thankful to be alive and healthy will find other places to dwell. 

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 6

56 minutes ago, RuthC said:

She did! 

OP, I totally understand where you are coming from---the thrill is gone, is what you are saying. 
So many complaints, from the same people, posted over and over again in each of the myriad of threads. 
No fun at all, and little reason to post anymore. 

Totally agree Ruth! So many people just need to post yet another new thread, rehashing the same issues, over and over...please mods, step in!!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dillpickle48 said:

If only they could condense all the refund and FCC complaints to one thread.  This board would be a better place. Stay safe everyone.

Or at least condense all the repeat posts by an individual into one. The final line could be something like “ This person posted this on 15 threads a total of ## times.”

(I’m looking at a specific poster on this. And yes, my block list has grown.)

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Petunia1950 said:

Just my two cents.

Well said, my friend.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Or at least condense all the repeat posts by an individual into one. The final line could be something like “ This person posted this on 15 threads a total of ## times.”

Exactly. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Petunia1950 said:

Just my two cents.

I have to agree with you.  The boards haven't been a nice place lately, and it's not limited to the HAL board.  The Ask a Cruise Question board has been completely hijacked by 2 or 3 people who seem to spend all day, every day on Cruise Critic and of course, they're the type who argue with everyone. 

I do have empathy for those waiting refunds though.  I just don't see the value in starting new threads.  CC needs to bring back that orange banner from a month or so ago reminding people to seek existing threads first. 

3 hours ago, GabbiRose said:

Why are you so sexist -- why name females and not males?

You really should insert a winking emoji in your post because without it, it looks like you actually mean this. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dillpickle48 said:

If only they could condense all the refund and FCC complaints to one thread.  This board would be a better place. Stay safe everyone.

Oh I wish they would do this.  People are so impatient to get their refund from a company in chaos.  Give HAL a chance.  If you're that tight for money then you shouldn't have booked a cruise(s).  And yes, I'm patiently waiting for my refund and I hope I get it by the end of the year.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, fatcat04 said:

Oh give me a break. You know perfectly well it is just a manner of speech.

Actually, I don't know. Please educate me instead of yelling. Your bold print means I touched a nerve and you're yelling at me, right?

3 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

Have to agree with you about the name calling but don’t think it was intentional.   I’d never heard that expression before but it’s kind of “schoolyard” shaming that I would hope exists in the past.  

Thank you for the explanation!

11 minutes ago, GabbiRose said:

Actually, I don't know. Please educate me instead of yelling. Your bold print means I touched a nerve and you're yelling at me, right?

No, my bold print means I have a hard time reading small light print due to bad eyes so I adjust it to make it easier for me to see on my phone. Almost all of my posts in the past couple of years have been like this due to that issue.

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 8

56 minutes ago, Sue from Canada said:

If you're that tight for money then you shouldn't have booked a cruise(s). 

So, you are a small business owner (or a medium size one) and, happily, profitable. You were selling your products in your retails store(s), or your restaurant was a smashing success, allowing you to enjoy a comfortable lifestyle, including cruise holidays. Or, you are a dentist, or a physiotherapist...get the picture??   Then, Covid came along...and you had to close your doors, all revenue coming in has stopped and you do not know when you can re-open and, when you do, if your customers can or will return. All that you have worked for may be ashes.

Please, some empathy for those who booked a cruise and then, when the world changed, and their cruise was cancelled, can really use that refund...not in 90 days but now, to pay the mortgage, pay the landlord, pay their staff, pay themselves.

For those who want to patiently wait for their refund, great. Most, however, have for good reason, less patience.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2