Slightly annoyed that I need to make another deposit..

So like many of you, I got the "we cancelled your cruise" email.  I opted for FCC plus OBC and finally called customer service today because I really wasn't sure how it all worked.

I was hoping they could just immediately transfer those funds to a new booking (I've actually already picked out our replacement cruise), but she said I'd have to secure the booking first (i.e. make another deposit) before they can move the funds over..

Seems like an unnecessary extra step, and seeing as my new cruise isn't for 15 months, I like to keep my money in my own pocket as long as possible.

Anyone else been through this?  Is this correct?

• Like 1

Yep it’s correct. Every time we selected a new cruise with FCC we had to put an new deposit. 
  I’m already into carnival for quite a bit. 
I ave a cruise booked Aug 29 with final payment due mid July. As of now our cruise is still one of the ones going (maybe)  I’m really thinking about canceling, not because lm worried about cruising. I’m worried about Carnival canceling and getting more of my money when final payment is paid.

3 minutes ago, aaconsumer55 said:

One thing to keep in mind is the FCC is issued for the amount of the cancellation fee (excluding taxes and port fees) - the balance plus Port fees and taxes are refunded to original form of payment. 

I had only paid $300 on each room (the minimum deposit to book at the time)

26 minutes ago, CascaisCruiser said:

I went through this two weeks ago.  My PVP made the new booking and transferred all the money from the cancelled cruise to the new booking.  No additional money needed until final payment.  My new cruise is 13 months away.

My cancelled cruise was paid in full so it completely covered the minimum deposit on the new cruise.  Maybe that is the difference?  Just seems odd they couldn't make the new booking for you and just have you pay the difference from the previous deposit.  Sorry, I was unable to PM you, I guess that's disabled here.  

Your $300 towards each Cabin should be moved to your new Cabin choices. Our cruise was not paid in full. That did not make any difference. Money on cancelled cruise went directly over to new cruise. 

3 hours ago, FiremedicMike151 said:

I had only paid $300 on each room (the minimum deposit to book at the time)

Perhaps the deposit for the new cruise is higher?  Then I would think you should only owe the difference.

Lyn

• Like 2

My FCC and OBC was moved to my new booked cruise with no issues. Now i was paid in full before my cruise was canceled. I owe $90.00 as the difference in the total cost of the new cruise. Now the airfare my be a different issue.

• Like 1

Can you move FCC to an already booked cruise? We have a 14 day Panama Canal Cruise  in January 2021. We have a large balance due. Would like to apply some FCC that we will be applying for. 

Anyone with any info or educated guesses are welcomed!

3 hours ago, leen50 said:

Can you move FCC to an already booked cruise? We have a 14 day Panama Canal Cruise  in January 2021. We have a large balance due. Would like to apply some FCC that we will be applying for. 

Anyone with any info or educated guesses are welcomed!

Yes you can transfer to an already booked cruise. I did this with my May cruise that was cancelled. I know others have said they refund the port taxes and fees and just transfer the rate but I was able to just have them transfer the full amount to my other cruise that I had booked to pay it off. 

2 hours ago, lagienomai said:

Yes you can transfer to an already booked cruise. I did this with my May cruise that was cancelled. I know others have said they refund the port taxes and fees and just transfer the rate but I was able to just have them transfer the full amount to my other cruise that I had booked to pay it off. 

Thanks so much. Just hope we get the FCC. We are booked on 1 of the few that are sailing in Aug. Dream/Galveston/Aug, 17. We are cancelling along with our kids/grand-kids. We paid deposits for 10 PAX in 3 OV Deluxe cabins. Hope we get 'something' back. None of us are ready to cruise yet.

22 hours ago, FiremedicMike151 said:

So like many of you, I got the "we cancelled your cruise" email.  I opted for FCC plus OBC and finally called customer service today because I really wasn't sure how it all worked.

I was hoping they could just immediately transfer those funds to a new booking (I've actually already picked out our replacement cruise), but she said I'd have to secure the booking first (i.e. make another deposit) before they can move the funds over..

Seems like an unnecessary extra step, and seeing as my new cruise isn't for 15 months, I like to keep my money in my own pocket as long as possible.

Anyone else been through this?  Is this correct?

It is basically an interest free loan to a business whose credit during the pandemic should be looked at as shaky at best.

I am kind of dealing with the same issue. We have had two cruises cancelled. The most recent, the fair was $250 and port fees/taxes were an additional $285. We are now trying to book a new cruise. I understand you cant use the FCC ($250) towards a deposit, but my understanding is that the port fees/taxes should apply to the deposit since it is refundable. However my PVP is telling me that we have to make the deposit out of pocket. Is he misinformed? 

Here's my version for a cancelled 7 day cruise in July....

Called customer service on Saturday morning (didn't even have to wait on hold).  The customer service rep was able to use FCC to pay off my balance on a 4 day cruise for January 2021.  I also wanted to add a new November 2020 4 day cruise.  She said she couldn't book new cruises and would transfer me to that department ( I assume a PVP).  

The customer service rep said that if I had a booking number, she could work it.  I asked, "what if I put the room on hold for the new November cruise?"  She stated that would give a booking number.  Sure enough, I put it on hold, which she could see immediately.  She finalized it and paid it off also.  Plus, she issued the refund for the rest of the money, but couldn't tell me when it would be issued.  

However, she was not able to split the $600 OBC between the 2 cruises.  It went on the January 2021 cruise.

We rebooked immediately.  Our TA called Carnival and made the arrangements.  A 5 day cruise was canceled and we rebooked a 7 day.  The only thing we had to pay was the difference in prices of the cruise.  We did not have to put down a deposit.

23 hours ago, FiremedicMike151 said:

Well since you guys can’t tell me who your pvp is, and the customer service person today said this was impossible, what am I supposed to do? Just keep calling back until I find someone who will?

All the stories are consistent even though they sound contradictory.

If you were paid in full, the PVP/TA/Call center person took your taxes and fees (and maybe prepaid gratuities) and applied that as your deposit. This would have been a refund to you, not an FCC, so Carnival allows it to count against a deposit. Technically the FCC is not impacting your deposit. Your PVP didnt do some magic voodoo.

If you had not paid in full, and only have paid towards your cruise fare, then you don't have a refundable amount to use for your deposit. Everything you are being paid is being issued as an FCC since you elected that option.

It sounds like you had paid only $300 towards your cruise, so that is your FCC, and you will need to make a new deposit. The cool thing for you is you are right now risking $300 for a $600 OBC!

50 minutes ago, Denverdonkeys said:

All the stories are consistent even though they sound contradictory.

If you were paid in full, the PVP/TA/Call center person took your taxes and fees (and maybe prepaid gratuities) and applied that as your deposit. This would have been a refund to you, not an FCC, so Carnival allows it to count against a deposit. Technically the FCC is not impacting your deposit. Your PVP didnt do some magic voodoo.

If you had not paid in full, and only have paid towards your cruise fare, then you don't have a refundable amount to use for your deposit. Everything you are being paid is being issued as an FCC since you elected that option.

It sounds like you had paid only $300 towards your cruise, so that is your FCC, and you will need to make a new deposit. The cool thing for you is you are right now risking $300 for a $600 OBC!

This is not what was written in the cancellation email, which said everything I have paid would be put towards FCC plus an additional $300 per room OBC

Carnival can make billing errors.  We had paid in full for our June 19 Legend cruise and called on March 13 to our PVP to cancel the cruise and rebook to a new cruise in June, 2021.  We got an email saying we owed $794.95.   So may husband called our PVP and he saw it was wrong and so was going to call his supervisor about it for a correction.    He called us back the next day and said we would receive a $597.00 credit and a $254.95 gift card in the mail.  I wrecked my brains trying to figure how they got the $254.97.   After a couple more calls to Carnival and finally the resolutions office, we finally figured out that they had taken the amount    their original email said we had paid for the new cruise($4065, 78)and subtracted it from what the cost of the cancelled cruise ($4320.73) to get $254.95.   Since my account still shows I owe $197.95, I have to wait till I get the gift card refund to pay my cruise off which will leave me with $57 left on gift card ( which is the difference between the two cruises). So my advice is to keep calling Carnival if you think they got something wrong or you can’t make sense of the figures.