what are you doing at home?

crusinbanjo

On Tuesday Mrs Banjo came down with an acute case of Cabin Fever.  The only know cure was sunshine and fresh ocean air.  So being the dutiful husband, I packed a picnic lunch, and loaded the Tandem bike for a short, refreshing get away vacation to the Cape Cod Canal.  That seemed to be the cure!.  Here is a picture of the rarely seen but always lovely Mrs Banjo, enjoying the view and soaking up the sun.  

20200526_111916.jpg

20200526_112122.jpg

Edited by crusinbanjo
spelling
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, silkismom said:

Boy I'm glad I'm not having a stress test, this past weekend on top of everything else, has my blood pressure going thru the top.

Thru the roof.  Over the top.  Under the radar.  

I didn't drink any coke........I ate a protein bar I had brought with me. But soda? Nope, none. The only carbonated drink

I like is Ginger Ale.

• Like 1

Speaking of drinks, the other evening, I took a gulp of water from my glass in the dark.  Much to my chagrin, I managed to swallow a “stink bug”!  If you do not have these wonderful creatures in your area, you should consider yourself lucky.  The only antidote I found after a gallon of water was hot wing sauce taken directly from the bottle.  I do not recommend stink bugs!

1 hour ago, Emtbsam said:

Speaking of drinks, the other evening, I took a gulp of water from my glass in the dark.  Much to my chagrin, I managed to swallow a “stink bug”!  If you do not have these wonderful creatures in your area, you should consider yourself lucky.  The only antidote I found after a gallon of water was hot wing sauce taken directly from the bottle.  I do not recommend stink bugs!

Oh my. That's just horrifying! I would have been completely grossed out. 🤢

I would have tried a very strong drink...much stronger than water, for sure! 

Lots of stuff going on today.

My landscaper guy came by with a yard of dirt this morning, and his guys put it in the planter for me. So I planted some tomatoes and other assorted stuff this afternoon. Looks really nice!

20200601_112223.thumb.jpg.8883bc8b60084ed0c74805a180a688fd.jpg

Tonight I made chicken with mushrooms and parsley sauce, with a bit of farro on the side. Served with an obscure French white wine from Gascogne, a mixture of Colombard, Gros-Manseng, and Ugni Blanc. It actually went very well with dinner; it's a rare wine that has enough acidity to still taste good after a bite of lemon.

20200601_183654.thumb.jpg.3d60e0e9ac5bd905ea88f661e88dc0e5.jpg

20200601_183723.thumb.jpg.63aa6802698c0e4e9c95f3eb5077d4fc.jpg

Before dinner we went shopping. Had to hit up a few food places, as groceries are sporadically hard to find and becoming quite expensive. The meat prices at Price Chopper are obscene. Trader Joe's is impossible to get into.. We've had decent luck at our local Aldi - a place we haven't visited much in the past but it's been really handy the past month or so. Prices are good and selection is decent - limited, but plenty of stuff we want.

Of course we went to one of the local wine shops to stock up. Grabbed another Hendrick's Midsummer Solstice gin, which I still am not convinced can last that long... And on the recommendation of FlyingScotSailors, I got a bottle of Nolet's Silver Gin. Looking forward to that as a nightcap tonight, as I am finally not on call!

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi JP, your garden looks lovely......and of course your food does too😀

YES!!  J.P.'s plantings and food are looking wonderful.  Much happening here at the Cooler.  Good luck to Lois with your medical testings, etc.  Agree for being careful what you are drinking.  Not tasty with that bug!!

Below are three pictures from a red fox visitor to our patio area Sunday and Monday.  Then, this morning was even more amazing!!  Three of these young foxes were a little farther away in our back area visible from the screened porch, playing, jumping around, having a great time, etc.  Sorry no pix’s but it was awesome to see the three in action. Are these young foxes cute?

Thanks.  Enjoy!!  Terry in Ohio

CMC_1749.jpeg.6c8d239dbdeb7516ef6c9740f847755f.jpeg

CMC_1742.jpeg.3d43da84e6c3c780d184be0c48fc2e09.jpeg

CMC_1751.jpeg.2c23aa947fdf3836b422a836fa0b3bf7.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Terry, aren't they dangerous though?

They can be if approached.  We had a family stick around our backyard for a whole season a few years back.  Finally had to drive them off, without hurting them of course.  They are a beautiful animal though!

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Terry, aren't they dangerous though?

Much as noted by crusinbanjo, I do not believe, at a distance, that such "Little Foxes" are a danger.  To people.  From a good friend and former local newspaper editor, he followed up to me after I sent those pictures with this background information: "Harmless to humans; not so much to rabbits, mice, etc."

Part of today's activities is getting annual flowers planted.  Have four flats as a starting point.  Below you can see a visual "selfie" of me with a portion of those flowers.  Now have eleven pots prepared and done.  More to go!!  Many geraniums, begonias, impatiens, etc., etc. 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

IMG_5184.jpeg.9daa329b7057119d7821b927fb49bf13.jpeg

• Like 4

I would like to share my results with those posted by my fellow gardeners above (JP's beautiful planter and TLC's attractive annuals).

1788311510_IMG_0567603.jpg.1a0bb1179618121ecb015b4b75e533b6.jpg

Despite the brave efforts by the lone parsley plant, one could view this skeptically.  I know I do 🙂

However, an unexpected factor has been the efforts of the suspect below, observed digging in the raised bed after my efforts, chasing who knows what...  

799857822_IMG_0565607.jpg.4d29cc2fc99d739e779e6d7ddacaaf86.jpg

• Haha 3

Nice work, QSS. Hope you fill in the gaps with other plants soon! Though your very cute "helper" may hinder those efforts...

Is that a fire pit in the distance?

Threw a ribeye on the grill tonight but the picture is of Chris's beautiful salad creation. My contribution to the salad was the chive blossoms. We have a plethora of them now, so I picked a few and sprinkled the florets on top. Tasty!

20200602_182042.thumb.jpg.47205ffd65131b4238d09c24a9ff0b3b.jpg

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 2

Salad looks great, and the chive blossoms are such a visual enhancement.  I've never (knowingly) had them but I'll take your word about the taste.  Hope the ribeyes were also tasty!  Yes, that is a fire pit - used for conversations and/or s'mores, I've yet to cook on it.  

• Like 1

Great looking salad!  Those purple blossoms would go perfectly with the drink Silversea posted today.  

Now, to the important question... what is the big leafed plant on the left side of the raised bed; Kohlrabi?

Getting ready to throw a pizza on the grill.  Enjoying salted caramel butterscotch martinis (yes, plural) tonight.  A wise fellow told me recently multiple drinks are allowed on days ending in “y”.  Boy, did that insight make me happy!

You’ll have to let me know what you think of the FlyingScots’s gin reco.  I’m about out of Midsummer Solstice and need to replenish.

6 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Now, to the important question... what is the big leafed plant on the left side of the raised bed; Kohlrabi?

It's an eggplant plant. (That sentence bothers me. Kinda like an ATM machine)

6 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Getting ready to throw a pizza on the grill.  Enjoying salted caramel butterscotch martinis (yes, plural) tonight.  A wise fellow told me recently multiple drinks are allowed on days ending in “y”.  Boy, did that insight make me happy!

Post pizza pix! 

We had a bottle of Carignane with our steak tonight. Trying to resist the urge for more.

7 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

You’ll have to let me know what you think of the FlyingScots’s gin reco.  I’m about out of Midsummer Solstice and need to replenish.

The gin was delish. Great fruit and floral aromas. I put a fresh raspberry in the glass to amplify that. Very dessert-like. A nice complement to the others in our cabinet now.

I am debating trying a different tonic next time to contrast with those flavors. Might do a taste test with Mediterranean vs. Elderflower. I don't think it would go well with plain tonic. 

I'm hoping our new bottle of Midsummer Solstice lasts that long.

1 hour ago, QueSeraSera said:

Salad looks great, and the chive blossoms are such a visual enhancement.  I've never (knowingly) had them but I'll take your word about the taste.  Hope the ribeyes were also tasty!  Yes, that is a fire pit - used for conversations and/or s'mores, I've yet to cook on it.  

They have a mild onion taste. 

Found a cute recipe where you dip them in a tempura batter and deep fry them. Not sure I want to get that fussy, but you never know.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

It's an eggplant plant. (That sentence bothers me. Kinda like an ATM machine)

Post pizza pix! 

Grammar is a funny thing, no? 😁

First pie is vegetarian.  
4F62A741-6612-46FF-B084-2D55892D898B.thumb.jpeg.b7d43a5402483db452e8536898e40f16.jpeg

Second pie on the grill is sweet Italian sausage.

E618741F-78FC-4A99-A147-D6A149848232.thumb.jpeg.9546c7c929f6f920831a0b25dc42a023.jpeg

Finished product.  Not SS quality, but it works on a Tuesday night after mowing the yard.

20F11AFE-4062-4EBC-ADE7-1CFDC114FD61.thumb.jpeg.f19ec741bdd8119982e6ce8025bed0e1.jpeg

Glad to read there is a new gin to add to my nubile repertoire.

Edited by Stumblefoot
  • Like 3