Best sandals & shoes for plantar fasciitis?

I've been battling plantar fasciitis for a little more than 6 months.  I bought arch supports for some shoes, but that only works in very few and no sandals.  I wear sandals 8-9 months out of the year.  I found a pair of flip flops with fantastic arch support and heel cup.  But there are times that I need a more secure sandal than a flip flop.  I thought I had it under control, and went back to my old sandals, and I was wrong!  I need a sandal (or two) that can handle walking/hiking a few miles at least.  And when it gets cold, I would like to find a couple pair of shoes that will help.  

I need definite arch support and heel cupping .  Suggestions?

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

VIONICS-----fabulous arch support.

I would agree for shoes, but I haven't found an athletic type sandal from them.  They have cute sandals, but not particularly for lots of walking or hiking.

I recommend looking at "THE WALKING COMPANY"...they offer several different styles with WONDERFUL arch

support--ABEO is one of their own brands and they have walking sandals.  If you go on line, you can see many

of them.  They are not cheap but they are really well made.

1 hour ago, awhfy said:

I find OOFOS are great. They have flip flop style, slide & now slip on shoes & boots. My podiatrist recommended them

I've heard of them, but never checked them out.  There's a nearby store that carries them so I may venture out in a week or so to try some on.  From what I can tell, they do not have an athletic sandal (one that straps on your foot) and that's what I'm really looking for.  But I will check them out.  The shoes may be a viable option for cooler weather.  

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

I recommend looking at "THE WALKING COMPANY"...they offer several different styles with WONDERFUL arch

support--ABEO is one of their own brands and they have walking sandals.  If you go on line, you can see many

of them.  They are not cheap but they are really well made.

I have seen ABEO before and almost ordered a pair from Zulily but I was gun-shy.  I will check them out again.

heelthatpain dot com heel inserts for shoes. I had plantar fascitis so bad I could not walk from the front to the back of the grocery store. Was even considering surgery. Then I found these online. They were cheap enough (like $24.95 a pair), so I thought I'd give them a try. 

I experienced instant relief the moment I put them in my shoes. And as you wear them over time, they actually fix the problem. After about a year of wearing them, I could wear normal shoes and sandals again without pain. However, I still put them in my regular shoes from time to time just to "maintain." I do not work for this company. Just trying to help as I know how painful and miserable PF can be... 

• Like 1

Have you visited a podiatrist? When my husband had PF, he eventually went to a podiatrist who ordered custom orthotics that he wore in his New Balance running shoes, and she got him a "boot" (actually called a night splint) to wear at night. When I developed PF more recently, I tried wearing his night splint (you can buy on Amazon or eBay) which gave immediate relief and I massaged my foot (per instructions from the internet) every morning before standing. I have worn custom orthotics in running shoes for years. With the night splint PF is a minor concern and improving rapidly. The splint is large, but I even took it on a 2 week river cruise!

7 hours ago, Knotagain68 said:

Have you visited a podiatrist? When my husband had PF, he eventually went to a podiatrist who ordered custom orthotics that he wore in his New Balance running shoes, and she got him a "boot" (actually called a night splint) to wear at night. When I developed PF more recently, I tried wearing his night splint (you can buy on Amazon or eBay) which gave immediate relief and I massaged my foot (per instructions from the internet) every morning before standing. I have worn custom orthotics in running shoes for years. With the night splint PF is a minor concern and improving rapidly. The splint is large, but I even took it on a 2 week river cruise!

I don't wear shoes except for 2-3 months out of the year, and that's only if going outside the house during those months.  Inside, I do have a pair of flip flops specifically for PF and they are fabulous.  The orthotics dr's prescribe aren't for sandals, which is why I'm mostly looking for orthotic sandals that aren't flip flops.  I have looked into the night splints.  My problem is that I don't sweat, which is why I wear sandals even when it's cold to most people.  It's not usually cold to me.  The night splints are hot and will prevent me from sleeping, and I sleep like a baby so I don't want to interrupt that!  I do stretching and massaging of both feet but not the very first thing - cuz that's a trip to the bathroom!  I do appreciate the suggestions!

12 hours ago, Luvsnorkeling said:

heelthatpain dot com heel inserts for shoes. I had plantar fascitis so bad I could not walk from the front to the back of the grocery store. Was even considering surgery. Then I found these online. They were cheap enough (like $24.95 a pair), so I thought I'd give them a try. 

I experienced instant relief the moment I put them in my shoes. And as you wear them over time, they actually fix the problem. After about a year of wearing them, I could wear normal shoes and sandals again without pain. However, I still put them in my regular shoes from time to time just to "maintain." I do not work for this company. Just trying to help as I know how painful and miserable PF can be... 

They do look like they would help - if I wore shoes!.  They won't work with sandals.

On 5/10/2020 at 11:30 AM, GORDONCHICK said:

I've been battling plantar fasciitis for a little more than 6 months.  I bought arch supports for some shoes, but that only works in very few and no sandals.  I wear sandals 8-9 months out of the year.  I found a pair of flip flops with fantastic arch support and heel cup.  But there are times that I need a more secure sandal than a flip flop.  I thought I had it under control, and went back to my old sandals, and I was wrong!  I need a sandal (or two) that can handle walking/hiking a few miles at least.  And when it gets cold, I would like to find a couple pair of shoes that will help.  

I need definite arch support and heel cupping .  Suggestions?

My DH has a very high arch and plantar fasciitis. Right now we're retired in a fairly warm area, so he wears sandals about 90% of the time (like me). He has 3 pairs that he really likes:

KEEN, they're for when he wants a sandal type shoe that has a closed toe....

ACTIVA (ortho heel technology) are his favorite pair. He can wear them for a long time. Only downside is they have leather straps. 

Both of those he rotates for walking or hiking.  Both were fairly costly, though.

He also got a pair of Camel Crown sandals. While they are not quite as supportive for him as the other 2 brands, he does wear them quite a bit when we're going someplace like a pool or the beach because they can get wet & it doesn't affect them. I now have 2 pair of Camel Crown sandals 'cause I liked his, so got a pair, and wanted another in a different color. I don't have high arches or plantar fasciitis, but they are so comfortable to me, that I use them as my walking sandals now.

Hope this helps.

PS  He also got some arch supports---specially custom made by a foot doctor. What a joke. They were so stiff and hard that they actually caused more pain that not having anything. Then he got some regular inserts & they were fine, but didn't work with sandals, so he hasn't worn those in a long time.

1 hour ago, kruisinkris said:

My DH has a very high arch and plantar fasciitis. Right now we're retired in a fairly warm area, so he wears sandals about 90% of the time (like me). He has 3 pairs that he really likes:

KEEN, they're for when he wants a sandal type shoe that has a closed toe....

ACTIVA (ortho heel technology) are his favorite pair. He can wear them for a long time. Only downside is they have leather straps. 

Both of those he rotates for walking or hiking.  Both were fairly costly, though.

He also got a pair of Camel Crown sandals. While they are not quite as supportive for him as the other 2 brands, he does wear them quite a bit when we're going someplace like a pool or the beach because they can get wet & it doesn't affect them. I now have 2 pair of Camel Crown sandals 'cause I liked his, so got a pair, and wanted another in a different color. I don't have high arches or plantar fasciitis, but they are so comfortable to me, that I use them as my walking sandals now.

Hope this helps.

PS  He also got some arch supports---specially custom made by a foot doctor. What a joke. They were so stiff and hard that they actually caused more pain that not having anything. Then he got some regular inserts & they were fine, but didn't work with sandals, so he hasn't worn those in a long time.

I have one type of Keen, but haven't tried it yet so I need to dig those out.  Where would I find Activa?  I did a search and came up empty on that one.  Looking at the Camel Crown, they don't have hardly any arch support and no heel cup.  I have an average arch that just needs support.  If I didn't have PF, those would probably be comfy.  My Skecher's used to be comfy - before PF!  

They do look like they would help - if I wore shoes!.  They won't work with sandals.

But if you will wear shoes for a while (perhaps during cooler months), it will fix the problem so you CAN wear sandals.My favorite sandals to wear now are Crocs, not the ones with a closed toe but the style with two straps across the top of the foot and open toes. My chiropractor recommended them, and I wear them with no pain at all. Of course, this is after I wore the heel that pain inserts for several months in my regular shoes. I wanted to find a permanent fix for the problem, even if it meant wearing regular shoes for a while.

• 3 weeks later...

Go to a podiatrist right away!  Get a pair of custom (not over the counter) orthotics and a good pair (not the most expensive) of running sneakers.  Running sneakers offer the maximum amount of cushion, control and support.  Wear them when standing a lot (ie., cooking) or for exercise.  Once you start feeling better, you can alternate with sandals or other shoes.

On 5/14/2020 at 4:26 PM, GORDONCHICK said:

I have one type of Keen, but haven't tried it yet so I need to dig those out.  Where would I find Activa?  I did a search and came up empty on that one.  Looking at the Camel Crown, they don't have hardly any arch support and no heel cup.  I have an average arch that just needs support.  If I didn't have PF, those would probably be comfy.  My Skecher's used to be comfy - before PF!  

Sorry for the delay in responding. I haven't been on CC for a while now. My DH got his Activa sandals on Amazon. But it was a long time ago. I just checked and couldn't find them! AUGH!  Sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd give an update on what I've found/done at this point.  Chacos are a definite NO for me!  I had high hopes, but they were dashed.  I ordered a pair of Viakix Siena Sport and they are the dreamiest pair of active/hiking sandals.  I put them on and they felt fabulous!  I wore them the next morning for my 2 mile walk and no rubbing and they felt awesome, but I knew the real test would be when I get up the next morning.  Lo and behold, my feet felt great when I got up! YAY!!!  Ordering 2 more pair Viakix in different styles and colors.  I normally wear either a 6.5 or 7 and I ordered a 7.  Viakix.com and free shipping.

I did go to healthatpain dot com and will be ordering inserts for shoes.  For dressier shoes, I will look at Vionics - hopefully when they're on sale!  I will also check out Abeo for some sneakers at some point.  And when I venture to the mall, I will check out the Oofos (love the name!).

If you want a comfy flip-flop, TELIC has fantastic ones!  There is great arch support, and they don't hurt my heels.  I, too, am a sufferer of Plantar Fasciitis.......and I can wear these things ALL day, every day...and I do!