Cruise Critic Community
iggyc

Going down memory lane. Favorite port and why

The list of ports I have to select from is short as I only have 4 cruises under my belt and one of those was just Bermuda (which WAS lovely).

I actually think my favorite came from my last cruise - Mazatlan.  We spent the day just wandering - walked the Blue Line to Plaza Machado, walked to the market and Cathedral, walked out to see the cliff divers and back to Plaza Machado for a late lunch before going back to the ship.  We never felt unsafe, the city really has some cute structures and is actually relatively clean.

Close second would be Vancouver, and Victoria was nice as well.

From purely a docking perspective I think Valletta, Malta is one one more interesting ports to sail into. It just looks like you are going back in time.

Santo Tomas de Castillo in Guatemala

We took a trolley ride through the town and one of the residents told us about living there. He was quite proud

of the recent upgrades like a nice new road and a few fast food restaurants. He was so kind and informative

and gave us beverages as we rode and some small decorative pins in the shape of little birds.

Although it was quite obvious as we toured there was abject poverty, the children looked well fed, 

cleanly  dressed and happy. It was obvious that despite the poverty their parents made their children

a priority.

As we left the taxi drivers, craftspeople who worked in the large building next to the pier, and lots of locals

with their children lined up, waved to us,those in cars  flashed their lights and some

played the drums and other instruments and danced in native costumes. It was very special.

I often think of the people we met there and wonder how they are doing especially given recent world events.

21 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

The original poster said “favorite “ cruise port, not “worst”. Lol! Just kidding! 😆

well, if we are going by worst i would say their private island in the Bahamas,  two tenders for 4000 thousand people, never even got to see it....LOL....well not true, i had a peekaboo view LOL LOL

BARBADOS!!!!!!  We love  Rockley/Accra beach.  Don't know why we bother to rent chairs because we are in the water the whole time.  Beautiful water and awesome waves.  Almost missed the boat last time because we hate to leave (and my sister lost her wallet in the shopping area in the port and had to get off the shuttle bus to go back and look for it).  Luckily someone saw her and ask what she was looking for and she had found it!!!!  We were last ones to get on ship - I was hoping to hear our names being called over the PA system but didn't happen.  

So many ports. Can’t wait to be back traveling again

On 5/11/2020 at 4:34 PM, okpaddy said:

I guess for me, it's the companion and not the port that brings me the most joy.

This is the best thing I have read today!  Your DW is a lucky woman!