Understanding Refund Process

48traveler

We were booked for May 11th , cruise got cancelled at end of March by Carnival. I rebooked and paid $150 down on a Sept 14th cruise the same day. . I did so myself as there was only one aft balcony left.  I then phoned Carnival and they  applied the $150  and all credits from the cancelled cruise, leaving me with $325 OBC and a $434 refund coming back, which I have not received. I don't really want to do a dispute but if I did, the way I see it I would only be able to dispute the $150 , which is supposedly included with the $434 . Does this make sense ? Thanks

I'm confused about what your goal is. If the Sept cruise sails do you want to be on it? Has it been cancelled already? Are you wanting to keep everything the same and get your $434 refund faster or are you trying to get out of this cruise altogether and want the remainder to stay on file as FCC and get your deposit back?

5 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

I'm confused about what your goal is. If the Sept cruise sails do you want to be on it? Has it been cancelled already? Are you wanting to keep everything the same and get your $434 refund faster or are you trying to get out of this cruise altogether and want the remainder to stay on file as FCC and get your deposit back?

We want to go on the Sept cruise and it has not been cancelled. I do want to keep everything as is. Was just wondering about the refund. Thanks

9 minutes ago, 48traveler said:

We were booked for May 11th , cruise got cancelled at end of March by Carnival. I rebooked and paid $150 down on a Sept 14th cruise the same day. . I did so myself as there was only one aft balcony left.  I then phoned Carnival and they  applied the $150  and all credits from the cancelled cruise, leaving me with $325 OBC and a $434 refund coming back, which I have not received. I don't really want to do a dispute but if I did, the way I see it I would only be able to dispute the $150 , which is supposedly included with the $434 . Does this make sense ? Thanks

I dont think you can dispute part of a charge. Disputes just isnt set up for that. You click on the charge you want to dispute and click on the reason. It's been posted carnival is taking up to 90 days for refunds. 

All the dispute folks do is issue a temporary credit and contact the merchant. You could get your current cruise cancelled by disputing. I worked for amex disputes before they outsourced btw. 

Your beef is carnival isnt refunding faster than other folks. And you want only part of a charge refunded which takes time to process. I'd say pay it and be patient. Some guy in india isnt going to speed things up and could muck up your other booking.

3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I dont think you can dispute part of a charge. Disputes just isnt set up for that. You click on the charge you want to dispute and click on the reason. It's been posted carnival is taking up to 90 days for refunds. 

All the dispute folks do is issue a temporary credit and contact the merchant. You could get your current cruise cancelled by disputing. I worked for amex disputes before they outsourced btw. 

Your beef is carnival isnt refunding faster than other folks. And you want only part of a charge refunded which takes time to process. I'd say pay it and be patient. Some guy in india isnt going to speed things up and could muck up your other booking.

Agree. Thanks

27 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I don't think you can dispute part of a charge. Disputes just isn't set up for that. You click on the charge you want to dispute and click on the reason. It's been posted carnival is taking up to 90 days for refunds. 

To the OPost:

I had a May 10th cruise canceled.  I recently tried to dispute my refund part of the charge and although the bank didn't say it I think it was because you can't dispute part of the charge like what is mentioned above.  Be patient, I am not one to do that but I am trying here.  If you read a lot of the refund posts they are actually happening.

Why dispute anything if you are still going on a cruise? I understand that getting money back (even those 150$) can be a pleasant procedure, but does it worth all the headache with a refund process. Its not that kind of money to be fighting for right now. I would understand if you were cancelling the tour completely but you only ask for this partial refund  

• Like 1

On 5/11/2020 at 10:29 AM, Roger88 said:

Why dispute anything if you are still going on a cruise? I understand that getting money back (even those 150$) can be a pleasant procedure, but does it worth all the headache with a refund process. Its not that kind of money to be fighting for right now. I would understand if you were cancelling the tour completely but you only ask for this partial refund  

The refunded portion is for taxes, ports etc. and is not transferable.  Yes I want my money back asap.  Carnival didn't hesitate to charge me again the same fees when I rebooked.  Hire more people to handle the refunds.