Avalon Just Cancelled Through August

copyace

Sorry you will miss your cruise (still room on ours May 2021 if you wish to join us....).  The notice hasn't hit the fb page or website yet, but this doesn't surprise me.  Avalon seems to care for both guests and employees.  Hope you can re-book...the discount is still on that was supposed to only last until April of this year, not sure about the flight deal though.

Thanks Daisi -- found the notice on the Avalon website COVID-19 page new this morning, which I've been checking regularly. Having TA rebook us for the same 2021 cruise with the $200pp credit. From what I can read it's not so much readying the ship itself but the unclear border issues with the countries involved having U.S. and Canada passengers. 

The situation is complex regarding nationalities of guests (as well as crew) and health&safety onboard and an shore during excoursions. Each country has its own regulations, which are changing weekly now, so cross-border-cruises are almost impossible to plan. Can the crew reach the ship ? Quarantaine required ? How much cabin capacity onboard can be used ? Can the guests reach and leave the ship ? How to organise excursions, will bus travel be allowed, are onshore meals possible, andandand. 

• Like 1

I know everyone is thinking of how they are going to get to Europe & sail.....never though to the crew that comes from all over, they have to be able to cross the same borders, and quarantine probably as well.  Good points!

copyace, hope your TA is successful, and that you manage to get re-booked.  I have been planning this cruise for 2 years (almost to the day, as it's about 2 years since we were on our Rhine one, and we started planning this one on the plane ride home!) so really hope by next year, things will be much easier on all, even if we have to follow Covid-19 regulations.

I am really hoping that we get to sail as planned in early October...  We got such a good deal on the trip that we would never be able to rebook for that amount.  If the options are to rebook and pay more money (we are talking an extra $3000 for the 2 of us...) - or walking away from the $500 deposit - not sure that I would rebook.   Plus - we booked our own air - and I highly doubt we would get return for $1100 next year...

Fran

On 5/12/2020 at 9:25 PM, franski said:

I am really hoping that we get to sail as planned in early October...  We got such a good deal on the trip that we would never be able to rebook for that amount.  If the options are to rebook and pay more money (we are talking an extra $3000 for the 2 of us...) - or walking away from the $500 deposit - not sure that I would rebook.   Plus - we booked our own air - and I highly doubt we would get return for $1100 next year...

Fran

Avalon's website states their policy for guests with canceled cruises; right now they are offering to reschedule cruises for the same price as the original cruise plus a $200 discount.  I don't know if it will be in effect if your cruise is canceled.  Of course who knows what airline fees will be next year?  They could go either way....

Hi Kathy... I think the price protection only applies for those who are going on the Oberammergau Passion Play cruises.  For all other cruises they will allow you to transfer your booking to any cruise (or other service provided under the Globus/Cosmos/Monograms/Avalon group) with no charges incurred through to 2022.  They are also allowing anyone who doesn't wish to transfer to apply before June 1 2020 to receive a refund.  From what I see on the site, you will not be charged the non-refundable deposit.  Those who transfer will receive a $200/person credit, which will help with the increased costs.

The nicest thing about the Oberammergau cruises is that once the bookings become available, those who are transferring over will have priority, so they won't miss out.

I'm sad that it will now be full sit down meals, but I guess that's just the way things are going.  I can't see them doing a staff serving buffet, as you would still have line-ups, the dining rooms just aren't big enough to handle even 1/4 of the passengers lined up observing the 2 metre distance rules.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Daisi said:

I think the price protection only applies for those who are going on the Oberammergau Passion Play cruises.  For all other cruises they will allow you to transfer your booking to any cruise (or other service provided under the Globus/Cosmos/Monograms/Avalon group) with no charges incurred through to 2022.  They are also allowing anyone who doesn't wish to transfer to apply before June 1 2020 to receive a refund.  From what I see on the site, you will not be charged the non-refundable deposit.  Those who transfer will receive a $200/person credit, which will help with the increased costs.

And, if your sailing is for after September 1st (which ours is...) - you currently are bound by regular trip cancellation policy - and final payment dates still apply.   Our final payment is due in early July - and, if this is upheld - we will need to decide if we want to pay the rest of the money,  or back out at that time.

Seems rather unfair - IMHO - to make us make the final payment so early.  Our TA is not working, as they are deemed "non-essential" - and the office was shut.  So, we will need to make our payment directly to Avalon if she is not back to work.  And, to make us pay in full - when anyone booked up until August 31st can cancel without penalty - doesn't make me happy.

Also - if you do move your booking, you have to pay the "new" price - except for Oberammergau.   If your cruise in 21/22 is more than you paid for your 2020 trip, you need to pay the difference.   There is no mention of transferring any cruise credits - so the difference for us would be substantial.  

At this point, I am hoping they will delay the final payment date.  If they won't - and they stick with the cancellation/rebooking guidelines currently on their website, I expect to walk...  And, I will not rebook.  

Fran

Crossing fingers and hoping that they will know better next month how things are going as far as opening up.  By cancelling their sailings for August, I think they have kept within the 90 day pay period.  Hopefully if they have to cancel more, they will do the same.

I really can't expect them to honour the same price for cancelled cruises in the future years.  They are a business, and have to meet all the higher costs they will encounter (food, insurance, staffing, fuel as well as all the extra stuff they have to do for maintaining standards that have been set for Covid-19).  Also, if they have to cut their capacity, they will actually be bringing in less income anyway.  They have been nice in providing a credit and to me, are one of the few lines that are trying to do their best by giving advance notice (not like some that are going month by month) and right now, I look on this as if the rivers were having water level problems....it's becoming a "week by week" type thing as various countries are starting to open up.

7 hours ago, Daisi said:

I really can't expect them to honour the same price for cancelled cruises in the future years.  They are a business, and have to meet all the higher costs they will encounter (food, insurance, staffing, fuel as well as all the extra stuff they have to do for maintaining standards that have been set for Covid-19).  Also, if they have to cut their capacity, they will actually be bringing in less income anyway.  They have been nice in providing a credit and to me, are one of the few lines that are trying to do their best by giving advance notice (not like some that are going month by month) and right now, I look on this as if the rivers were having water level problems....it's becoming a "week by week" type thing as various countries are starting to open up.

I do agree, however, we have already had this cruise cancelled once by Avalon.  At that time, we were not offered the option to move our cruise - as others on our sailing did (I was in contact with someone here on CC and they confirmed moving their booking was one of the options offered).  I was not impressed.  The price jumped significantly - so we did not immediately rebook.  It was only when we were able to book at close to our original price - once we factored in Welcome Back credits obtained through another Avalon cruise, and found a good sale - that we decided to rebook. 

I completely understand that Covid-19 is an unknown entity.  And,  I do not expect that Avalon would be able to move bookings without a price increase.  But, given the instability of the current travel world, I would hope that they will be a little flexible with the final payment date.  

Fran

Maybe your TA could contact them next month (just figuring they are probably pretty busy right now with the new cancellations) and see if it can be adjusted?  

I am hearing that Europe is opening up more & more each day, not sure which cruise you are on...if it's not France, you could just be lucky....as long as you can get in without having to quarantine.  We are expecting to cancel our trip home this year, as the Maritime Provinces have closed the borders, and you can't get in without a 14 day quarantine.  Something else to consider......