Whose Booking New Cruises? I did!

33 minutes ago, Mandalay1903 said:

We have five cruises booked for 2021: January 2021 Maasdam Sydney to Singapore (tho' I expect it will be cancelled by Australia), May and June 2021 Westerdam in Mediterranean (I'm guessing 25% chance these will be cancelled), and August 2021 in Iceland and September 2021 Veendam in UK (I feel confident these will take place).

Sadly, we had five cruises cancelled in 2020--the "Year that Wasn't"...

so any cruise from Sydney in Nov or Dec 2020 likely to be cancel too ? 

Originally booked a 14 day cruise on  the new ship Ryndam after our much anticipated Alaska cruise got cancelled due to me having a foot injury. Then Covid happened. It had 2 days in Norway, 3 or 4 days in Iceland,and 3 in Scotland. Then with all this happening  I really wasn't sure we should fly even though the trip wasn't until August,2021.. So I played it safe,and booked an e/w Caribbean cruise for late January to celebrate our 47th anniversary instead. All the perks that are offered plus the 10% discount,and the extra 250$made it worth it. I booked us a Signature Suite on the Nieu Amsterdam. This is our 3rd time sailing on HAL,and we really love it.

• Like 1

I was just booking Viking for August 2021. The entire process seemed just fine. My wife has done it in like 15 minutes. While booking we didnt notice any difference and no notifications in regard of the current situation. We are more than sure that it will be safe to cruise next year

3 hours ago, Eric79DAM said:

so any cruise from Sydney in Nov or Dec 2020 likely to be cancel too ?

My comment was speculation on my part, but based on a good CC posting named "Australia/ New Zealand Early 2021".  In that post some OZ and AZ locals speculate that their governments won't be opening up their borders any time soon (meaning into next year) and certainly not until there is a viable and readily available vaccine for Covid. A person from NZ on that posting also questions whether their government will let anyone at all visit NZ from North America.

I'm not in the medical field and I'm certainly not looking for a debate, but I think a vaccine needs not only be formulated, but also tested, validated, produced, distributed, and administered. Then, if foreign governments (in the case of my cruise Australia, Indonesia and Singapore) require a vaccine for travel (as our posting friend suggests) it also needs to verify that the traveler has taken the vaccine.

Successfully completing this all in less than eight months just seems unlikely to me.  Nevertheless, we'll stay booked on this January 2021 cruise and see how things look as we approach the final payment date.

• Like 2

The triumph of hope over experience - we're booked on the Turner Classic Movies full charter cruise on Disney  in October, even after our HAL charter with Prairie Home Companion in March  was cancelled.  When it is a charter, HAL doesn't give any refunds or FCC's, though we may get a few pennies on the dollar from the organizer.

Still, for TCM we'd be fine with a cruise to nowhere since we do that one just for the movies and the other movie-loving passengers.  Who cares if the ports are closed!

We do have a Dubai to Roma cruise on Princess in April 2021, booked with FCC.  I hope things are settled down with corona virus by then. 

The Moderna Phase 1 trials for their mRNA vaccine are going very well so far, so they are now approved to begin Phase 2.  That really is "warp speed"!  My daughter volunteered to be in the trial but they had thousands of young healthy volunteers so she was not one of the 45 selected for Phase 1; she is hoping to be in Phase 2 or 3.  "The kids are all right" - volunteering to take the experimental risk because they see how much we need the vaccine.

An available effective vaccine will make a big difference for many cruisers.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, doctork said:

The Moderna Phase 1 trials for their mRNA vaccine are going very well so far, so they are now approved to begin Phase 2.  That really is "warp speed"!  My daughter volunteered to be in the trial but they had thousands of young healthy volunteers so she was not one of the 45 selected for Phase 1; she is hoping to be in Phase 2 or 3.  "The kids are all right" - volunteering to take the experimental risk because they see how much we need the vaccine.

Thanks to your daughter for trying 👍

Not a vaccine trial, but you might tell her that the NIH is still seeking volunteers for this project if she's interested:

"The division of NIH headed by Dr. Anthony Fauci has just rolled out a serological study to try to determine how many adults in the US have antibodies to the coronavirus that causes Covid-19. And it’s looking for volunteers.

The researchers are planning to study blood samples from up to 10,000 people from across the country. If you’re over 18, willing to give consent over the phone, and willing either to go to the NIH in Bethesda for a blood draw or take a “micro-sample” — basically, finger pricks — of your own blood at home with a test kit, you may be able to participate. If you’ve previously been diagnosed with Covid-19, you’re ineligible".

https://www.washingtonian.com/2020/04/13/nih-is-testing-people-for-covid-19-antibodies-and-looking-for-volunteers/

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/nih-begins-study-quantify-undetected-cases-coronavirus-infection

• Like 1

Hi everyone

Well here in Scotland we're in week 9 of the lockdown.  I'm fortunate that I'm still working.  We've just booked a South American cruise with HAL for March 2022.

We are scheduled to be on an Aus/NZ cruise in December this year.  However it will depend if their borders are open by then and even if they are open I think it unlikley they will allow cruise ships in but who knows.......

Stay safe

We booked a 14 day Caribbean for March 2021, and South America in the fall 2021.  I have decided to be optimistic on these matters.  With all the dire news worldwide, it's good to pause and give thanks for what we do have.  The opportunity to book new trips is certainly something to look forward to.

We have cruises booked on Royal C for late October, 21 days in Australia & NZ, which we are expecting to be cancelled.  Hoping to switch to another cruise(s) in the same time frame, even if it's "just" the Caribbean.  We usually fly down to Florida, but could take an extra day or two to drive.

Booked on Nieuw Statendam early Feb 2021, and keeping our fingers crossed it will happen.

Planning to book the 2021 Voyage of the Vikings, but are waiting to see how things unfold in the next few months, after cruising starts again.  If it sells out before we are ready, we'll book some other European cruise.

Edited by Lady Chew

After having our Easter week cruise on the Nieuw Statendam canceled, we opted to put our FCC towards a 14-day southern Caribbean itinerary on the Veendam to celebrate our 5th anniversary in January 2021. Besides getting it all, we’re also getting $600 OBC so we’ll be able to afford some extras that we ordinarily wouldn’t. 😊

We’re also considering a couple more cruises...

—5-day western Caribbean on the Norwegian Sun for the last week of August of this year. With NCL extending their shutdown to July 31, we’re waiting to see...

—7 day Caribbean of some sort for fall 2021. Leading the possibilities Is MSC—we would love to give their Yacht Club a try.

We are both of the mind that fear will not keep us away from our beloved cruising habit. 😊

On 5/19/2020 at 3:02 AM, doctork said:

The triumph of hope over experience - we're booked on the Turner Classic Movies full charter cruise on Disney  in October, even after our HAL charter with Prairie Home Companion in March  was cancelled.  When it is a charter, HAL doesn't give any refunds or FCC's, though we may get a few pennies on the dollar from the organizer.

Still, for TCM we'd be fine with a cruise to nowhere since we do that one just for the movies and the other movie-loving passengers.  Who cares if the ports are closed!

We do have a Dubai to Roma cruise on Princess in April 2021, booked with FCC.  I hope things are settled down with corona virus by then. 

Well, I don't know if the Moderna vaccine will be successful but the CEO sure pumped up the value of his stock!

https://www.statnews.com/2020/05/19/vaccine-experts-say-moderna-didnt-produce-data-critical-to-assessing-covid-19-vaccine/

Haven't booked yet, but plan to within the next month. The "Have It All" special is way too tempting with free drinks and free gratuities. We're looking at the 32-day Hawaii-Tahiti-Marquesas, Feb. 21-March 25, on the Rotterdam. Just hope there is a vaccine before then; we won't go without it. Our thoughts are that, the day after the vaccine is developed, people will be booking a lot of cruises. We want to make sure we get onboard for all those South Pacific beach days. 

I just booked a 12 day Eastern Med cruise for September 2021 that loosely duplicates our June cruise that was cancelled.  I don’t have many years left, so we gotta make hay while the sun shines.

• Like 3

Koningsdam 18-day Hawaii 11/3/20 booked last October will hopefully still be a go.  Very much missed the cancelled April Nieuw Amsterdam 24-day Transatlantic/Med.  Just booked Ryndam Transatlantic October 2021.  Keeping positive thoughts on completion date and state of the world by then. 

• Like 2

Koningsdam 18-day Hawaii 11/3/20 booked last October will hopefully still be a go.  Very much missed the cancelled April Nieuw Amsterdam 24-day Transatlantic/Med.  Just booked Ryndam Transatlantic October 2021.  Keeping positive thoughts on completion date and state of the world by then. 

We are also on this cruise. Great ship Great Itinerary!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

14 hours ago, tamsno said:

We're booked on both of these also! I With the KDam parked in Puerto Vallarta, she's anxiously waiting for us all!!

I have 3 cruises booked for 2021 and one for 2022! Sadly, because of itinerary, two of the three for next year are not with Holland but they fit the schedule of people who I am traveling with. But the big exciting cruise is October of 2021, 28 day Mediterranean/Transatlantic on the Zuiderdam! 524 days, but who's counting!

• Like 3

On 5/19/2020 at 3:02 AM, doctork said:

On 5/21/2020 at 7:28 AM, chisoxfan said:

Well, I don't know if the Moderna vaccine will be successful but the CEO sure pumped up the value of his stock!

https://www.statnews.com/2020/05/19/vaccine-experts-say-moderna-didnt-produce-data-critical-to-assessing-covid-19-vaccine/

Maybe the public was more excited about the vaccine than the executives. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-vaccine-biotechnology-stock-market-investment-bubble/

On 5/11/2020 at 9:42 PM, sailingdutchy said:

Thanks for starting this thread , getting sick and tired of all the bad news ones . My glass is always half full so we have booked like @DeeDee Groff the late September '20 cruise to Auckland , I have a deposit on the Premier Cruise of the Ryndam , whenever it is or wherever the itinerary ,  and am seriously looking at the Norway / Baltic cruise for next July  on the Nieuw Statendam ,

After that is booked we will be looking for a cruise for Jan / Feb / Mar  '22  to get away from the Canadian winter . ( Yes we woke up to snow on Sunday morning MAY 10th  ! NOT nice ! ) 

Tony :classic_biggrin:

Hi Tony!   We have booked Norway and The Baltic, leaving Amsterdam on June 6th. Nieuw Statendam.