What should a new HAL CEO bring back to ships ?

rotjeknor

4 hours ago, cruisetheworld67 said:

Sure! HAL will bring back the "Old HAL."  Anything you want. 

Question is: Are you willing to pay more for it? 

PRoblem is with CArnival's stock price  showing a 75%  YTD  decline .....any new CEO will be looking to cut more services, amenities,  all the "extras" to try to financially "right the ship."

If you think a new CEO will be focused on offering more; I feel you will be disappointed. 

They do not even have the funds to process millions in refunds.

Billions in refunds.

• Like 2

I do not think that returning to the old HAL would survive with what cruise lines will be facing.  That said that they do have some advantages with their overall smaller ship sizes compared to the other main stream lines. Their demographics with a tendency for older passengers is also not in their favor post COVID-19

I think that HAL should get a near total reboot.  Build on the classic design and smaller size of their ships. Position the line between the main stream lines and the premium lines.  They could, for example, go with a higher quality, more inclusive model kind of like Oceania.  They could do that with only having to raise fares by about 30%.  That would position the line in a unique space when it comes to features/cost. 

In doing that they would reduce pressure on the onboard sale items, allowing some of them to be removed entirely. Leaving more space to be used for some of the more traditional features like crows nest.

Edited by npcl
  • Like 4

His or her first goal will be to bring back profitability and positive cash flow. Then enhance the balance sheet. It will be a huge challenge post covid.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

I might mention a couple of improvements I saw in our February Westerdam cruise.  They had a free class called Photoshop where we learned to use our smart phones as cameras.  The instructor (Don) was excellent and I learned more in an hour about my iPhone than in the two years I have owned it.  It was repeated with different lessons and a lot of personal help if needed.  Also, some have complained about the CD also being a travel lecturer.  I enjoyed that part of it, as he provided info on how to get around in the ports on your own, unlike the talks given by the shore excursion people.  

• Like 2

Surviving this pandemic is more important than bringing back the classic HAL.  I do think getting back to it's roots would be a great next step post pandemic.

Customer service with social media engagement.  You all are excluding Generation X and the older Millennials we're the next generation of cruisers and some of us like the mid sized/smaller ships.   

If I were giving the new HAL CEO his marching orders on Day One, I would include the following, as a starting point. (My assumption is that profitability and positive cash flow are going to be paramount on EVERY cruise line's list, as will doing whatever it takes to get people back to feeling it is safe to cruise, so I am not including them per se, but attention to the items below should bring positive results.)

• Standardize how the brand is experienced across all current ships by all customers -- including specialty dining experiences, entertainment, lectures (in-depth vs. not in depth), library or no library, Crow's Nest or no Crow's Nest, etc. This should also include all SOPs on how Mariner perks/events are handled. Even itineraries to an extent. Should HAL be doing cheap Caribbean 7-day cruises or concentrating on their longer, more unusual itineraries?  They have very different requirements in terms of cost per day, type of entertainment expected, staffing, etc.
  • Fix the website to ensure information is easily found and bookings are easily completed.
  • Make the HAL brand more visible -- more traditional media, more social media, more emails. Visibility of HAL seems low relative to comparable brands.
  • Conduct extensive market research to find out what attracts current HAL cruisers, and to identify with better precision the "future" HAL cruiser and what s/he is looking for. Test. Probe. Test some more before making big changes.
  • Following the above, clarify and rationalize HAL's niche in the market. Is there room for HAL (and perhaps Cunard) to be in a niche above Princess but below the Luxury lines -- and even perhaps a bit below the so-called "Premium" lines (Oceania, Azamara)?  If so, what is the basis?  Is it itinerary driven (good lecturers, special programs/experiences ashore)?  Is it music driven (building on the newer music venues)?  Is it food driven?  Is it more inclusive? Is it driven by size of the ships? (mid-size vs. small or large)
  • Stop competing in the $299 fares market. An approach that emphasizes value over cost might be just the ticket in the next few years. (I'm thinking along the lines of "sure, you could pay less for a vacation, but would it really BE a vacation?" or "If you're only going to take one vacation this year, make sure it's one that really delivers" ...)
  • Avoid a catchy phrase/logo/motto that is too aspirational (if it falls short, it becomes a joke). I would suggest perhaps a focus on/return to HAL's nautical traditions, but done in a way that is fresh and modern, without too much nostalgia. Offer a dream, but not one that you can't (mostly) deliver on.
  • Ditch awkward partnerships that aren't true to your brand.
  • Amp up (and emphasize) things that have been shown to matter to people in recent times -- come up with some special programs for your wonderful crew and tell us about them. Show us how you are becoming more environmentally conscious -- not just by removing straws but in ways that are inspiring.
  • Come up with industry-leading procedures that will help avoid spread of disease (COVID-19 or any others) onboard ship -- and FULLY support them by intensive staff/crew training, materials, etc.
  • Like 16
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

If I were giving the new HAL CEO his marching orders on Day One, I would include the following, as a starting point. (My assumption is that profitability and positive cash flow are going to be paramount on EVERY cruise line's list, as will doing whatever it takes to get people back to feeling it is safe to cruise, so I am not including them per se, but attention to the items below should bring positive results.)

• Standardize how the brand is experienced across all current ships by all customers -- including specialty dining experiences, entertainment, lectures (in-depth vs. not in depth), library or no library, Crow's Nest or no Crow's Nest, etc. This should also include all SOPs on how Mariner perks/events are handled. Even itineraries to an extent. Should HAL be doing cheap Caribbean 7-day cruises or concentrating on their longer, more unusual itineraries?  They have very different requirements in terms of cost per day, type of entertainment expected, staffing, etc.
  • Fix the website to ensure information is easily found and bookings are easily completed.
  • Make the HAL brand more visible -- more traditional media, more social media, more emails. Visibility of HAL seems low relative to comparable brands.
  • Conduct extensive market research to find out what attracts current HAL cruisers, and to identify with better precision the "future" HAL cruiser and what s/he is looking for. Test. Probe. Test some more before making big changes.
  • Following the above, clarify and rationalize HAL's niche in the market. Is there room for HAL (and perhaps Cunard) to be in a niche above Princess but below the Luxury lines -- and even perhaps a bit below the so-called "Premium" lines (Oceania, Azamara)?  If so, what is the basis?  Is it itinerary driven (good lecturers, special programs/experiences ashore)?  Is it music driven (building on the newer music venues)?  Is it food driven?  Is it more inclusive? Is it driven by size of the ships? (mid-size vs. small or large)
  • Stop competing in the $299 fares market. An approach that emphasizes value over cost might be just the ticket in the next few years. (I'm thinking along the lines of "sure, you could pay less for a vacation, but would it really BE a vacation?" or "If you're only going to take one vacation this year, make sure it's one that really delivers" ...)
  • Avoid a catchy phrase/logo/motto that is too aspirational (if it falls short, it becomes a joke). I would suggest perhaps a focus on/return to HAL's nautical traditions, but done in a way that is fresh and modern, without too much nostalgia. Offer a dream, but not one that you can't (mostly) deliver on.
  • Ditch awkward partnerships that aren't true to your brand.
  • Amp up (and emphasize) things that have been shown to matter to people in recent times -- come up with some special programs for your wonderful crew and tell us about them. Show us how you are becoming more environmentally conscious -- not just by removing straws but in ways that are inspiring.
  • Come up with industry-leading procedures that will help avoid spread of disease (COVID-19 or any others) onboard ship -- and FULLY support them by intensive staff/crew training, materials, etc.

Thank you for this fantastic post!

• Like 2

When I started reading this thread, the first thing that popped into my brain was the song from Aerosmith: "Dream On."

I really do not care about 90% of the items listed by people as I'm not a "long time" HAL cruiser - I've spread my trips among different lines.   Vastly updated health and safety procedures (not just lip service) are what I need to see first and foremost.  If I'm not comfortable with how the ship is sanitizing and physically distancing, I don't care what ship it is, I'm not going to be on it. 

I'm not sure HAL needs to bring back those long cruises for quite some time, if ever.  Wait until the memories of the "bad press", the denial of porting, hundreds sick on board, are less present.  Start small and get things right there before branching out to more than 7 day cruises.  

I'd like to have the places that used to be unused quiet places brought back.  Quiet places are my favorite - I can sit back, close my eyes and listen to my music.   Oh - music - Please do NOT bring back the HAL Cats!!!!!   😉

Bring back the following which have gradually  disappeared in the last 5 years or so:

Crows Nest for scenic viewing

library with a variety of books but keeping the book exchange,  

production shows 

cruise director and assistant who are capable entertainers 

There have been some good changes recently: 

the servers for the salad bar,  

the Dive In,  

lunch in the dining room upon boarding,

Club Orange as a paid upgrade for some as long as it is included as a perk for Neptune Suites

• Like 1

RE:  poolside BBQ’s. They would be a health hazard in today’s environment.  Maybe just an evening party around the pool area with drinks, live entertainment, and dancing with ship officers in attendance.

Interesting topic.  This would have been my first HAL cruise.  I had never chosen HAL before as I had grown happy with Princess and Celebrity.  The perception does exist that it is a line for "old" people...and I am certainly "old".  I was really interested in the cruise that got cancelled as I was going with a sibling who is pretty loyal to Oceania and Regent so was interested in her perceptions of the experience.  "We" are both mid-size, small ship fans.  I did want return to RC on Empress for a Cuba cruise but that got cancelled. I've been cancelled ALOT lately.  You would not get me on those mega ships with climbing walls and slide tubes - had enough of that when the kids were little.  So my vote would be for "quieter" ships, with good bars, decent dining and options, patrons who don't show up for dinner in tank tops, a place to go listen to music after dinner, clean pools, no kids running up and down the hallways at night....that's my dream ship. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

RE:  poolside BBQ’s. They would be a health hazard in today’s environment.  Maybe just an evening party around the pool area with drinks, live entertainment, and dancing with ship officers in attendance.

Re:  the outdoor BBQ's and buffets.  Because of USPH standards of today, they have gone and won't be returning.

When I sailed on Nieuw Statendam, your description of an evening Party around the pool did occur.  I don't recall any dancing, but many of the ship's Officers (including many junior ones) were in attendance and were available for guests to meet.  It was a very pleasant event.

• Like 2

Keep up the modernisation of the MDR, get rid of tasteless schrikp,cocktails and other 70’s junk and replace by a shrimp carpaccio for example. Keep up the more modern plating, we are in the 2020’s.

keep the sushi, NY Deli and pizzerias on larger vessels.

Replace the Pinnacle Bar by Dutch Café on Vista and signature class vessels.

return the fantastic deck buffet/bbq parties, make them itinerary themed.  were setting HAL apart from the mainline competition.

Return the Crows Nest to a modern but cozy observation lounge with live guitar in the evening.

Get rid of anything “Oprah”

Get rid of Club Orange.

Make better use of the showlounge, especially the screens on Pinnacle vessels.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Re:  the outdoor BBQ's and buffets.  Because of USPH standards of today, they have gone and won't be returning.

When I sailed on Nieuw Statendam, your description of an evening Party around the pool did occur.  I don't recall any dancing, but many of the ship's Officers (including many junior ones) were in attendance and were available for guests to meet.  It was a very pleasant event.

European sailings do NOT have to adhere to sometimes ridiculous USPH regulations. It is just “standardisation” that made the BBQ disappear.

3 minutes ago, Despegue said:

I quite agree.  With the millions spent on these high tech show rooms with the entertainment that I witnessed on Nieuw Statendam, whomever planned the entertainment in the World Stage during my cruise should have been fired many months ago.

• Like 2

This Millennial loves HAL for its classic cruising style. 

Keep: 

Wraparound Promenade Deck with space for deck chairs (and why I won't sail the Pinnacle class ships)

A functional Crow's Nest/library (and by functional, I mean books, puzzles, games etc). Bring back the cozy Captain's corner, especially on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

Shipboard tea (my favorite meal of the day). 

Grand Dutch Cafe (have heard of it, would love to see a miniature version on the other ships, or at least offerings during tea or the Lido buffet).

Servers for salad-making.

Ditch: 

The promenade (or lack of) on the Pinnacle class and return to the proper sizes. 

The sales pitches. Luckily I can play the Deaf card and point to my ear and shake my head and carry on. 

EXC - or least move it to another area not occupied by the Crow's Nest

The birdbath for a proper aft pool. 

Bring Back:

Dinner music with adagio

Dutch-influenced treats (bitterbollen) on ships that don't have the Grand Dutch Cafe

The library (worth stating it twice)

Arts & Crafts and activities

Classic ship activities (shuffleboard, horse-racing, costume contests, scavenger hunts, etc). Yes I said shuffleboard as it was a lost art which I LOVED when I sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam). 

Intellectual port talks and history of HAL (would LOVE to see books in the gift shop on the history of HAL and ocean liners). 

More open decks and the feel of "being at sea". I don't want floating condominiums or Las Vegas resorts. I need options when it comes to open decks. 

The logo - I liked it better when Haelve Maen was superimposed onto the Nieuw Amsterdam II. 

Fix:

Improve accessibility for Deaf passengers (no more antique tools or philosophies)

Captioning on TV in the staterooms. (A flash and they're gone does NOT work.)

The shops. I would rather see an International shop with treats and local merchandise rather than the high-end stuff that I can't afford. A section of the gift shop for books about sailing, cruising, and the history of HAL. 

A dream come true:

A new ocean liner dressed in the old HAL livery (a modern version of Nieuw Amsterdam II of 1938 but with some modern conveniences. This could be a one-off ship in its own class. Perhaps name it the Stellendam as that name has not been used yet?  Well, a combination of the best elements of the NA and the Rotterdam of 1959 plus perks from the Vista/Signature classes. (I've been messing around with redrawing deck plans and figuring out how to bring back the enclosed promenade deck but making it functional (ie not a wasted underused outdoor-indoor space). Basically I would take the so-called "Royal Promenade" that are found on ships and turn it inside-out with the cafes, bars, shops, etc in the center opening out to a wraparound indoor promenade area with sitting areas for the cafes/bars/clubs/lounges and quiet niches to read/talk/etc. But importantly, keep it walkable. Keep the outside promenade on the S, R, Vista, and Signature but with a second indoor promenade deck. (it would have to be broken up into fire zones somehow to comply to safety codes. So no stunning vistas like the Normandie. Kinda of like the one on the SS France/SS Norway

• Like 6

2 or 3 Production shows returning to the main showroom along with comedians and other acts on the remaining days. Music Walk is pretty good but not every night.

It was nice to have fresh flowers but I have allergies so it doesn't bother me that they are gone. 

11 hours ago, rotjeknor said:

Now that Mr. Ashford is about to pack his infamous carton box , what should he leave behind for a new CEO, to bring back to the ships ?

I’m thinking:

books in the library ,

pianoplayers who play what we want to hear,

white seatcovers on gala night,

surf and turf,

round plates instead of those awkward rectangular plates,

the original HAL logo ( still on the Rotterdam ! ),

cruise directors,

guest speakers,

arts and crafts , ( not for me , but I know people miss it ...),

And what should he definitely not pack , but leave onboard:

Lincoln Center Stage

BB King

Sounds like a plan to me!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Despegue said:

Keep up the modernisation of the MDR, get rid of tasteless schrikp,cocktails and other 70’s junk and replace by a shrimp carpaccio for example. Keep up the more modern plating, we are in the 2020’s.

keep the sushi, NY Deli and pizzerias on larger vessels.

Replace the Pinnacle Bar by Dutch Café on Vista and signature class vessels.

return the fantastic deck buffet/bbq parties, make them itinerary themed.  were setting HAL apart from the mainline competition.

Return the Crows Nest to a modern but cozy observation lounge with live guitar in the evening.

Get rid of anything “Oprah”

Get rid of Club Orange.

I think we should keep CLUB ORANGE. I agree on the Crows Nest and getting rid of all things OPERA.  I would also like to see production Shows.  

• Like 1

Oh, and bring back the YumYum man ( dining room greeter) and xylophone chimes at dinner.

HAL needs to,set itself apart by offering a modern cruise experience, with modern classic dishes that are regionally inspired, but with traditional “heritage” touches that make it unique.

new slogan: “Tradition  Reinvented”

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, oaktreerb said:

Those were fun.  

• Like 1